FairShake

3.9

LAST UPDATED: April 29th, 2023

FairShake is a consumer protection company that assists consumers in pursuing recourse when corporations or other organizations have wronged them through unfair fees, bad business practices, unfulfilled promises, or other breaches.

FairShake has served more than 10,000 complaints ranging from debt recovery to legal claims to corrected refunds. The company publishes testimonials and sample cases online and provides a great deal of transparency as to the type of claim that may be suitable in winning successful outcomes.

The Good

• Clear Process to Pursue
  • Real Legal Leverage
  • Handles Diverse Range of Claims

Clear Process to Pursue

FairShake offers a clear, step-by-step process for individuals who are frustrated or disenchanted with a corporation that has wronged them in some way. The company’s website outlines clear steps consumers can take to address grievances.

This is very important for consumers who feel that nothing can be done to remedy their situation, especially when a corporation seeks to minimize losses and avoid fair dialogue.

Real Legal Leverage

Customers submit claims to FairShake, take legal action, and participate in a settlement or formal hearing. For corporations that use high powered lawyers to intimidate unhappy customers, the street credibility of FairShake’s history resolving more than 10,000 claims gives “the little guy” a degree of leverage otherwise unobtainable. FairShake seeks to equalize the playing field by putting real legal power back into customers' hands.

Handles Diverse Range of Claims

The company lists previous and current claims in a transparent fashion on its website, and the list is truly impressive. Ranging from clearing up hidden fees, restoring services that have been paid for but not provided, resolving drawn-out settlement cases, and much more, FairShake seems to have seen it all. The company will hear and review customers’ claims, as well as give voice to their complaints — and if action is possible, a clear process to move forward.

The Bad

• 20% Fee for Successful Claims Over $100
  • Not a Lawyer nor Law Firm
  • 10% Fee for Discharged Debts

20% Fee for Successful Claims Over $100

Although claims are free to submit and the company only gets paid if customers win the case, the downside is a pretty steep 20 percent commission on claims over $100.

For small claims, for example a $500 settlement; 20 percent is a bargain ($100 fee). However, if any major money is involved — say $25,000 or higher — the price is quite a chunk ($5,000).

With that said, most legal resources charge upwards of $400 per hour, regardless of whether a claim is resolved or not, and many of FairShake’s customers have tried traditional routes to resolve issues and not had any outcomes for months or years.

The important thing to remember here is that customers will walk away with 80 percent of the settlement outcome, with zero down along the way.

Not a Lawyer nor Law Firm

It should be noted that FairShake is not a licensed legal firm, but a company that provides services resolving claims through process of negotiation, mediation, and following up on arbitration procedures.

For customers in serious legal trouble, already in process on court, civil, or criminal matters, this may not be the right venue for resolution. However, it’s worth submitting a claim to FairShake anyway, to allow the company to evaluate the situation and provide guidance as to whether or not they can accept the case.

Other companies like LegalShield or RocketLawyer do actually provide verified legal counsel for paid services, so customers can consider these options as an alternative.

10% Fee for Discharged Debts

For customers seeking to dissolve disputed debts, there is another catch with FairShake — 10 percent of the discharged debt will be charged to customers for FairShake’s fees. Again as with the success fee, this only becomes problematic the higher the stakes are.

For a $1,000 debt to be discharged, a $100 fee is completely reasonable. For individuals trying to resolve a $100,000 debt, receiving a bill from FairShake for $10,000 may not be workable, although certainly more so than paying all $100,000. Customers should make sure that the compensation structure aligns with the role FairShake would be playing in resolving matters, before accepting the terms of the services.

Customers could try using LawDepot or RocketLawyer to draft their own legal documents if it is simply a matter of needing paperwork to move an issue toward resolution; however, if actual support and negotiation are needed, having FairShake in one’s corner is hard to beat.

The Bottom Line

For those who feel they have a valid claim against corporations but have found themselves stagnated by legalese, non-response, and frustrated bureaucratic policies, FairShake offers targeted, practical, consignment-based (“we only get paid when you get paid”) services that can transform a customer’s legal or financial matter.

Given the wide range of claims the company has successfully handled, customers are encouraged to check out the company website and pursue filing a claim, even just for an assessment of validity. Alternative options for online legal services or referrals to licensed legal teams are available if FairShake’s packages or services are not a fit for a customer’s particular matter.

View Best Online Legal Services

3.3

Kara Fuselier Lake Charles, LA

Filled out form was told I'm getting a settlement it was in a credit and would go in my account from that company..well the account number isn't mine...I am positive it is made up number because the company said they had no knowledge of settling with the company or me and they don't do that.. Now I am having to change bank accounts to keep from being charged next month and that sucks... They sounded legit and did a great job of making it seem so online but I am sure they aren't vc Michele has been asked 8 times about them having my account number wrong and I'm still getting a generic answer that doesn't answer my question .. I HAVE AN UPCOMING MEERING QITH FAIR TRADE COMMISION EMPLOYEE I HAVE FILED A REPORT WITH GIVING ALL MY PROOF SO THEY CAN BE STOPPED SO OTHERS DONT HAVE TO CHANGE THEIR ACCOUNT NUMBERS TOO

Kristy Honsvick Salt Lake City, UT

I submitted a claim to Fairshake after I had a client issue $10k+ in chargebacks via AMEX. I had all the documentation proving that I completed the contracted work and shouldn't have been issued the chargebacks. I went to Fairshake because they supposedly had experience with AMEX. I was assured that I had a case and that they could help me retrieve some, if not all, of my money. After waiting almost 2 years, they said I didn't have a case and I would have to hire a lawyer with a starting retainer of $2500 to move forward against AMEX. To say I was frustrated was an understatement. That is not how Fairshake positions their company and process. Fairshake had horrible (if any) follow-up. I was the one consistently messaging for updates. Their portal is crap and gives zero useful information. I was hopeful that Fairshake would be the answer to help me get my money back from this client. They absolutely were not and were a giant waste of my time and energy.

Reply from FairShake

Hello Kristy, If this is the service you received it's inconsistent with our policies and we want to know about it. For one thing, our staff won't tell anyone they do or do not have a case. (Although the staff of law firms we work with may do that). For another, law firms we work with typically don't charge a retainer. There may be rare cases in which they do, but they should tell you this up front! Are you able to send the communications you received about this to us at "[email protected]" so that I can address this with the relevant internal or external personnel? -MK

SJ Horner Winston-Salem, NC

This company has done nothing but take my money ($200 to escalate to arbitration last February) and request document after document after explanation after detailed write up. Next was that my case was "approved" for them to take to arbitration and represent me. Then I get a response that I have not "completed" something after complaining for months and asking for a refund of my $200 payment for arbitration expenses. This past month I finally heard from them - they said to go on my dashboard to complete, which asked me for yet another $200 for arbitration before I could even proceed (this was last week). Now they have "closed" my claim with no response to what happened to my arbitration which I paid for (my gut was nothing was ever filed because I should have at least received some sort of acknowledgment from the arbitrator. I don't see how they are getting positive responses from others. As a consumer I would be very very suspicious of whether the other reviews are true customers based on my experience of dealing with them for a year to get my case to move forward (which they approved to go to arbitration)

Reply from FairShake

Hello SJ, This isn't the experience we want people to have! I believe our team has addressed this with you (sounds like we had a mix-up on our end) but if not please shoot an email to "[email protected]" and I'll make sure it gets looked into. -MK

John G Fort Myers, FL

They told me I had a settlement from Comcast and charged me a 20% fee. They wanted their money right away and I paid it. I got used there was no settlement with Comcast when I contacted fair shake Michelle said they had their money so there was nothing they were gonna do about it

Reply from FairShake

Hello John, Our team is looking into this and will respond to you either privately or on the review you left on Trustpilot. -MK

Jermmie Davis Dallas, TX

Bad company I filed a complaint and they send me a rude response saying they have the right to refuse service .. is this how they act in California? I’ll make sure I don’t visit this state.. they cancel my two claims with chase and American Express and demand a $25 dollars payment but they didn’t do any work at all and never responded to my emails and took months ..

Tommy Wallace Dayton, OH

Fairshake promises to resolve your issue for a percentage of your winnings and no upfront fees before then. After months of working on 2 claims and producing zero results I am now told they need $200 for each claim to escalate. Complete scam

Reply from FairShake

Hello Tommy, Unfortunately this fee goes to the American Arbitration Association to hear your case and is typically refundable. We do mention it in our intake questionnaire. However, it is still a frustrating experience for our customers and I wish it weren't the case! -MK

Rodney Cayce Minneapolis, MN

I think I will leave a review here every day to make sure people know not to do business with this company they will take your money and you get nothing in return they need to be turned into Better Business Bureau and maybe a lawsuit against them

2 years ago Edited March 18, 2022

Reply from FairShake

Hi Rodney, If you have not received your settlement please visit your FairShake dashboard and indicate that so that our team can identify appropriate next steps. Instructions: Log in at https://app.fairshake.com/ and when you enter you'll receive message asking "Have you received your settlement?" Click the button "I have NOT received my settlement." If you have further questions please chat our team from that page. -MK

Mar. 18th, 2022

Lucy Njogu Dallas, TX

I filed a claim against AT&T on 10/20/2021. They said it will take up to 60 days for them to respond. Today 01/26/2022, i received an email that my claim has been canceled. No communication, no explanation.

Reply from FairShake

Hi Lucy, Our records indicate that you canceled your claim. If that's incorrect please send a message to [email protected] and reference that you interacted with us via Best Company, to see whether your claim can reactivated or how best to proceed. -MK

Mar. 18th, 2022

Nick Bobrick Denver, CO

Garbage company. Didn't help me at all throughout the process and my case got closed. Would leave 0 stars if I could.