Tinder

Tinder Logo

Tinder

Millions of users in your area + free messaging

Tinder was created by internet entrepreneurs Sean Rad, Chris Gylczynski, Joe Munoz, Dinesh Moorjani, Jonathan Badeen, Whitney Wolfe, and Justin Mateen (although this information is often disputed). Tinder was first introduced at college campuses in 2012 as a social network dating site. Typical dating sites require no introduction or approval before users can message each other. For messaging to begin on Tinder, it is required that users swipe right or "like" each other and swipe left if they aren't interested. While Tinder does not release exact statistics on their popular dating app, there are a few details they have revealed:

• 50 million people use the dating app every month
  • 26 million matches happen every day
  • 1.6 billion "swipes" each day (profiles looked at)
  • App in 30 languages
  • 8 billion+ matches made since 2012

The Good

• Easy to Use
  • Free or Optional Plans
  • Large Pool of Users
  • High Number of Mobile Reviews
  • Recommendations

Easy to Use

Tinder has more of a game approach to matching online daters. This service is similar to "Hot or Not." Men and women set their interests (in men or women) then simply rate people in their area to see if there's a mutual match. Users swipe right to "like another user's profile and swipe left to reject profiles. Profiles display multiple photos and a brief introduction or pick-up lines. Tinder keeps things fair for daters by only allowing communication to members that have already "swiped" or shared an interest in each other. This is helpful for people that don't want to be harassed or approached by every member of the site.  Other sites make dating unfair based on looks and can be overwhelming for the confident, and under rewarding for those who aren't physically fit to compare to other daters on the app.

Optional Plans

Tinder is free to use for all users but also has a few options for upgrade. Tinder Plus and Tinder Gold can be purchased on a month-to-month subscription basis. Tinder Plus provides bonus features such as more "super likes," the ability to see profiles in other locations, and the ability to undo and previous right or left swipes. Tinder Gold includes all Tinder Plus features, but its biggest draw is the "Likes You" feature. This lets users see who has already swiped right on their profile, so they pick and choose from people the men and women who already like them.

Large Pool of Users

While Tinder is one of the newer online dating sites (founded in 2012), it has quickly grown in popularity among users of all ages. To date, Tinder boasts that they have had 9 billion potential matches. Many people view the popular dating app as a 'hookup app.' But Tinder's website displays stories of relationships and marriages coming from the online dating social network. Tinder can be used for whatever type of dating you're looking for: "Friends, dates, relationships, and everything in between."

High Number of Mobile Reviews

Along with a high number of users comes a high number of reviews for both iPhone and Android. The Tinder iOS app has over 110k reviews. With all those reviews, they still have a 3.5/5 star average rating. The Tinder Google Play app has even more reviews - 1.4 million and an average 4/5 stars.

Recommendations

Tinder's newest update offers improved recommendations. Now, instead of users coming up randomly in your area, Tinder will try and show you matches that they think you will like (based on previous swiping history and what you have in common).

The Bad

• No Matching Algorithm
  • Must Have a Facebook Account

No Matching Algorithm

This dating service is exceptionally superficial up front.  Members rate other daters purely on their photos and a short one-liner.  There's not much depth in actually getting to know the daters until both members have matched where they may have a conversation. This may leave out potential matches that could work out for a long-term relationship. Generally, the personality is overlooked because this app focuses on an all or nothing approach to rating a person's profile pictures.

Must Have a Facebook Account

Tinder requires an active Facebook account to log in. Members can only use Tinder while linked to their Facebook page. This is the only verification process Tinder uses. In general, they do not conduct criminal background checks or other screenings. Tinder will create a profile based off a user's Facebook information. For members that live in more remote areas, Tinder may seem limited on available profiles. Tinder sets a minimum radius around each user's location of 1 mile and a maximum range of 100 miles.

The Bottom Line

Tinder is a simple dating option to meet new people (men and women) in the area. This may not lead to marriage or allow chemistry to be matched online, but it gives members a chance to save time and start a conversation. If their interested commutation is opened and daters get a chance to have a conversation and get to know whether there's actually dating potential. Tinder isn't available online and can only be used through the mobile app. Interested consumers may download the app from iTunes or Google Play to a mobile device or tablet. Although Tinder has a reputation for being a 'hookup app' some members have started successful relationships from the app.

3.1

Katie Young
February 12th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA

I never found any long term relationships from Tinder, but I always had fun and felt safe with everyone I met. The interface is good and has improved over the years. I never participated in the paid side and never was tempted to.

Sophie
February 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

Makes online dating fun. It is a nice way of meeting new people and finding hookups.

Lauren Jorgensen
February 5th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I met my Fiance on Tinder. The app made meeting people a lot of fun. I went on a lot of dates from this site until I found the one.

Hannah Thompson
January 31st, 2019 South Jordan, UT

On tinder there can be several catfish so you need to be aware of who you are talking to on the internet. The app layout is great and has few glitches. The app also is great at finding people that you are interested in based on your profile. Overall is a great app to find people you are interested in.

Shaylee
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Tinder is a great place where I find people with similar interests in my area. The application is easy to use. You update your profile and then are able to find the profiles of others in your area with similar interests to you.

Sarah
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I was always skeptical about tinder until I finally matched with a guy that has turned out to be my boyfriend! This service has been so great as we were able to get to know each other through the tinder messages! Once we got a feel for each other and became a little interested we were able to go out and meet! It was all because of tinder and how the app is set up! love it!

Katie Marz
January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT

I really liked using this dating site since there is such a wide variety of people that use this. However it still isn't my favorite because a lot of the people on here aren't necessarily looking for long term relationships.

Tyree Newkirk
January 16th, 2019 Cedar Fort, UT

I have a love hate relationship for this because it’s addicting but at the same time it’s also nice to meet new people!

Alain
January 16th, 2019 Orem, UT

Tinder is a good way to meet new people and make new friends. Possibly make a spouse, a lot of the times I found that most girls were bots.

Madalyn Johnson
January 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Tinder is a great way to meet singles in your area for dating. I also love the functionality of the app itself, very easy and straight forward.

Hailey Nilson
January 7th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I've used Tinder for years, and I absolutely love it. The layout of the app is simple and easy to use, and I really like how you are able to see the people's Instagram profiles along with their bios before connecting with them.

McKenzie Christiansen
December 31st, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Tinder is great. It’s so hard to meet people in today’s society but Tinder makes it easy. Really polished platform, and really knows how to find people that tinder thinks will work well with you.

Annie Orr
December 21st, 2018 Provo, UT

I think tinder has innocent motives but there are some creeps! I think if you’re looking to seriously date someone tinder is not your friend.

Chloe Magleby
December 21st, 2018 Provo, UT

Tinder is for sketchy people to meet other sketchy people. I have had way too many encounters with people who are not on the app for the right reasons. I would not recommend this dating app to anyone!

Kymberlee Yack
December 21st, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

tinder has been a HUGE help to me. dating has always been so hard because i’m so introverted, but tinder made it so easy because all I have to do is swipe and start a conversation! definitely had good luck with this!

Autumn Kallunki
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

It seems like each time I've met with people from Tinder I've had a bad experience and they are creeps. I don't usually recommend

Magaly De Avila
December 19th, 2018 Provo, UT

I downloaded this once just to see who I'd match with and it showed a lot of people that I know and that live around my area, they do a very good job with that. Probably won't use it personally/

Dasha Directo
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Tinder honestly scares me a little. It's fun at first looking at people's profiles, but after a while, it gets weird. I've never met someone from Tinder in real life and I don't know if I ever will because it sketches me out, but I know a lot of people who have been on decent dates through Tinder.

MaKayla Christiansen
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

For the most part I had a great experience on tinder. I like how you can see people’s profiles which gives you more information than just a picture of who you want to connect with. The only thing I didn’t necessarily enjoy about this site, was the fact that you had to pay money to “super like” someone as well as “rewind” if you accidentally swipe no on someone you wanted to swipe yes on. But over all it was a nice place to meet new people.

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Tinder isn’t really the place that you go to if you’re looking for a meaningful, committed relationship. I didn’t find a huge use for this app, but some people may.

Darius Williams
December 13th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

very easy app to use and it works without any problems. always able to find a quick date

Erin
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT

very easy app to use. it doesn’t take too much of your time, to find a great date, a great app for someone in need of love

TyGuy
December 10th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS

It's easy to use and there are lots of users. Probably one of the best sites to use to meet people at the moment.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 6th, 2018 Herndon, VA

I get it, if Tinder didn't lead the way for these instant gratification dating apps someone else would. But I absolutely hate what Tinder represents and has done for dating culture in my age range (26). I'm sure they have helped the spread of STDs by making quick mindless hookups so effortless. All that being said I do know some mutual friends who have been in a long term relation ship from tinder so not all bad I guess.

Dru Scott
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I found smoking hot wife on this site. She is the love of my life and we just made a baby.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Friendly app easy to navigate personally. And I have had so many good friends and acquaintances use this app to find their loved one. Nothing but positive things to say about it.

Spencer Scoville
December 3rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

If you are looking for a long term partner this app is not for you. You will hardly find the one swiping back and forth basing each person only on their looks.

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Tinder Tinder Tinder. I'll make this short and sweet. Tinder you rule. Keep doing what you do. Great for hook ups and more. I actually have two friends who met on Tinder and actually are married as of last year!

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

when i was single i had tinder. i didn't use it much but when i did i felt like most of the guys were catfish and just wanted to get it

Mitch Krull
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Fun fun fun. It's a fun app too pass time. Meet some good friends, don't know if I'd get anything serious tho.

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Tinder is the most popular and therefore the most viable option as a guy. I think that they’ve continually improved. Still not the ideal place to meet someone new.

Abigail scoville
November 2nd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Honestly, If you are looking to just meet people in your area this isn't the app for you. There can be a few awesome people among the swiping but the majority of people on the site are there for hookups. If you are looking for a long term relationship this could work for you but I wouldn't count on it personally.

Mckinsey Harward
October 31st, 2018 Logan, UT

This is how I met my husband! The service and people on the app can be sketchy but that doesn’t have anything to do with the company.

Brandy
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Besides the face that 90% of the people on tinder are just looking for a hook up. I haven’t been dissatisfied with their service or set up of the app. They provide what is needed and asked for.

cami harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I didn't really like tinder. The guys on there were terrible and I didn't find anyone that I wanted to date.

Brinly Harward
October 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

It's a very efficient app, and easy to work. You can meet a lot of new people. I like the feature where you can choose the possible distance of the people you meet. Customer service has been very helpful when needed. It's nice when you don't want to pay because most of the features work with a time limit.

David Mallory Hays
October 29th, 2018 Provo, UT

I met my wife on here, but I have also been on like 100 garbage dates through it. So it's like a 1/100, sooo infer how you wish

Cayla Koga
October 26th, 2018 Fremont, CA

Tinder is cool if you're just looking for a hookup. I have yet to meet someone on there that is looking to actually go on dates and get to know someone. Pretty self guided when it comes to set up and deletion of your account though.

Joshua Clement
October 12th, 2018 Provo, UT

It's good for getting a date with someone you would normally never meet, but this doesn't guarantee anything more

Tom
June 12th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Tinder is a great way to meet people in the modern way. Easy way to find someone that you might have a connection with.

Adam Crawley
June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Tinder has a good and easy access to quick dating; however, there are many rontchy people on the app and so users have to be careful before setting up a date. I've had some sketchy dates using this app. The app doesn't attract the best people.

Shelby Jackson
December 18th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Some people think Tinder is a shallow place to meet people as you are basing your decision off of looks. But let’s be honest here, you do have to be physically attracted to someone and that’s not a bad thing. The pros: -Once you match you can start chatting away and possibly score a date. -You don’t ever see who dislikes you. -The busy student or workaholic can meet people they might actually go out with. The cons: -People don’t post the most recent pictures. -The little biography’s May be skewed to seem cooler than they really are. Tinder was a great way to meet people outside of my circle of friends. I was lucky enough that I met my husband through it!

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Used this for a while before I got married. Really neat way to meet people. I have had 5 friends that met through the app and got married.

Patrick
December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I am giving it a 2 because there is a little entertainment factor but beside that it is a crap app. This app provides no value to society. I lost my girlfriend to this stupid app.

Sarah Coats
December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT

Waste of time. Has a lot of weirdos on there

William
December 13th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I was on this sight for about two days. Nothing good can come from a tinder.

Cassidy Gundersen
December 11th, 2017 Orem, UT

My husband says that we met on Tinder, but that is not true! He didn’t ask for my number when we met, but then we matched on Tinder so he got a second shot. I honestly didn’t even like using the app, but it worked out for me in the end.

Scott Rasmussen
November 28th, 2017 Davenport, IA

When I used tinder there seemed to be a lot of fake profiles and sicko robots leaving nasty links, so I uninstalled the app. When I had the app for about a year, I think it produced 2-3 dates. Not worth installing.

Landon
October 30th, 2017 Centerville, UT

Tinder is fun to meet new people. I've never had anything serious come from it, just new friends. The biggest complaint i have is that there are a lot of fake accounts on there trying to get you to go to random websites and stuff. If that was fixed it would be a lot better.

Katelyn Empey
October 30th, 2017 Logan, UT

There were a lot of hiccups and errors with the app in general. The idea was fine, but I felt like it was a poorly made app in general.