Colorado State University-Global Campus was the first 100% online university that was accredited in the country. CSU Global is a part of the Colorado State University System along with their two physical campuses in Fort Collins and Pueblo Colorado. CSU Global is a not for-profit online university. There are currently 929 students enrolled with CSU Global along with the 37,000 students in the CSU system.
CSU Global prides itself on innovation, collaboration, and tailoring to the nontraditional student. Most of their students work at least part time; however, a majority of their students work full time, so the online flexible schedule works best for them. The degree from CSU Global is awarded by the Colorado State University Board of Governors, which is the same degree received if attending one of the two physical campuses.
CSU Global wants their students to be able to afford higher education and get the help they need to succeed. Global feels that being an online university should not mean a student is on their own when it comes to getting the financial and educational help needed to perform well and complete the desired program. Frequent courses and financial packages are big helps for the students. Additional benefits include:
- Tuition guarantee: once a student has enrolled in a program, as long as they stay in the program with good academic standing, their tuition will never be increased.
- Tuition deferment: if student is active military, military family or veteran their tuition is deferred for 30 days after the term is over to allow time for all military paper work to be done. This works for nonmilitary students being reimbursed by employers also.
- Each term is only eight weeks long and new terms begin every four weeks.
- 38% of CSU Global graduates found better jobs in their chosen field; 27% started new careers and 41% earned promotions upon completion.
Since CSU Global was the first accredited online platform, they have been a leader in optimizing the online educational experience. Their program offers a flexible, comprehensive platform where students can learn and succeed in the classroom.
- Limited Program Options
- No Life Experience Credit
Limited Program Options
The number of available degrees and programs is limited. If students would like to access the full-range of CSU programs, they will need to attend on-campus. The courses are fast moving, which can be a problem for a working student with job commitments as well as school. The fast-paced curriculum schedule creates the following problems for online students:
- Due to accelerated courses all work must be completed in a short period of time.
- The number of degrees offered for undergraduate and graduate are limited and no doctorate is offered.
No Life Experience Credit
The online platform was originally designed for working professionals with a desire to continue their education and keep their jobs. However, CSU Global does not offer credit for life experience. That means students who have gained real work experience in a particular subject manner still may need to pay for courses teaching the same material to satisfy degree requirements.
The Bottom Line
Colorado State University Global Campus is a tuition friendly, online alternative for the working student. They offer undergrad and graduate degrees associated with the Colorado State University System. The schedule is flexible for the working student but quite fast moving. Their tuition guarantee and tuition deferment are great programs that help students fund their education.
Those interested in the Colorado State University Global Campus option will need to do the following prior to enrolling in a program:
- Determine the program you wish to pursue
- Contact a faculty member to ask questions about specific programs
- Submit online application
- Provide all necessary documentation