Bill Brooks and his Chamber of Commerce colleagues spearheaded the founding of Bellevue College in 1966, a year after an initial meeting at a Bellevue Steak House. From those humble beginnings, Bellevue College -Bellevue University since 1994 - was born. Since then, Bellevue University has grown and established itself as one of the worldwide leaders in adult education, serving nearly 10,000 students annually (2013) at 10 locations in three states - and everywhere online.
Bellevue University was one of the first accredited institutions to offer online degree programs in 1996, and the first to offer a Master of Business Administration degree online. In 1987, the University offered its first accelerated degree completion program, the Bachelor of Professional Studies.
- Undergrad and Graduate Degrees
- Program Amenities
Undergrad and Graduate Degrees
Students have the option to obtain undergraduate and postgraduate degrees on their own schedule. This flexibility allows students to learn and grasp the curriculum at their own pace and then turn around and apply it in their professional careers.
Bellevue University offers over 50 bachelor's degrees and over 20 graduate degrees. They understand that there are working professionals with families and so Bellevue University has tailored some programs to help students with these circumstances complete their desired goals.
Benefits of Bellevue University include, but are not limited to the following:
- Varied degrees offered: One doctorate degree, 26 masters degrees and 53 bachelor degrees that are in many areas of learning.
- The Flexxive Leaning Program: This is for the highly motivated independent learner that has 60+ credit hours completed. The student can go at their own pace, slower or faster.
- The Accelerated Program: For those who have completed at least 60 credit hours they can speed up the process and earn their degree in as little as 16 months.
- Additional Fees
- No Life Experience Credit
While students can obtain varying level of degrees, there are no associate degrees available or certificates of completion. This can hinder advancement for those already employed with degrees wanting to further education for advancement. Other common concerns include:
- High tuition costs
- Undergraduate degrees cost $385 per credit hour online
- Graduate degrees cost $515 per credit hour online
- There may be technology, lab, or book fees not included in tuition estimate
- Prices are increased for those who enroll in the Accelerated Program
No Life Experience Credit
Since Bellevue University is somewhat catered to the working professional, it is rather odd that they do not offer credit for life experience. This means that students who have obtained some level of expertise or knowledge surrounding a particular subject manner will still have to take courses. This can create a level of redundancy, not to mention that the student will need to pay for the course to satisfy the requirement.
The Bottom Line
Bellevue University offers a varied choice when it comes to what to study. They offer over 75 degrees starting with a bachelors all the way to one doctorate. They also offer a variety of ways to earn those degrees whether it be the traditional online program with a schedule to meet all the way to a Flexxive Learning Program that lets the learner set the pace. They also offer an Accelerated Program for the learner that is able to complete the required work quickly. Bellevue also offers credit for Military service and coursed completed while in the military. With all the ways to learn and earn a degree Bellevue has the ability to be a "good fit" for many students. They also have been ranked 18th by the U.S. News 2014 Top Online Education Program Rankings in the category of best online bachelor's degrees.
Interested students will need to complete the following process to be considered for admission:
- Submit online application and pay $50 application fee
- Submit official documentation (high school transcript or GED certificate, state authorized examination results, or other self-certifications)
- Transfer credit from previous institutions