Synchrony Bank Logo

3.2

LAST UPDATED: July 4th, 2022

The main focus of Synchrony Financial is establishing financial relationships between select sellers and buyers. After studying businesses with private label credit cards, like Walmart and Amazon, Synchrony Financial has been able to perfect their services and offerings, working with businesses and retailers to provide customers with hassle-free credit cards.

Instead of using Synchrony Financial's cards to purchase big ticket items, they are used to finance small purchases and future purchases, based on customer's available credit. Synchrony finances those purchases through Synchrony Bank, insured through the FDIC which means that your money is protected and that it is a safe bank.

Continue reading for pros and cons, and Synchrony Bank reviews.

Capital One 360 Logo
1.3
BBVA Compass Logo
#4 BBVA Compass chevron_right
2.2

The Good

• Online Help
  • High Yield Savings Account
  • Certificates of Deposit (CDs)
  • Money Market Accounts

Online Help

Synchrony Financial has a very helpful website. There is relevant information on it for everyone they work with. For businesses, Synchrony offers services through their business center, through which merchants can approve new applicants or access established accounts. The business center is also where credit limit increases are processed and payment options are selected. Using data from consumer purchasing patterns, merchants can develop sales that attract their customers.

For customers with personal accounts, Synchrony has a tool that allows you to compare Synchrony's annual percentage yield (APY) rates compared to dozens of other U.S. based banks. You can look at how much interest your money would make in a high-yield savings account, a money market account, or a certificate of deposit (CD). This tool allows you to see which rate will be the best according to the number of months you plan to have your money in the account.

For any of Synchrony Bank's accounts, you can manage your money directly from the Synchrony mobile app.

High Yield Savings Account

The high yield savings account from Synchrony Bank offers an interest rate of 2.15 percent APY no matter the balance in your account. This is one of the best interest rates among online savings accounts.

There is no minimum balance and no minimum deposit to start your account, and consumers can access their cash online, by phone, or via ATM. However, this account does not allow checking (writing checks).

Certificates of Deposit (CDs)

Certificates of deposit (CDs) with Synchrony Bank require a $2,000 minimum deposit. CD terms range from 3-60 months, and a three month CD will earn a 0.75 percent APY - the longer the CD (the more months), the higher the APY. A 60 month CD will earn 2.80 percent APY. After the minimum deposit of $2,000, your interest rate does not increase based on your deposit amount.

Synchrony Bank's CD rates are competitive compared to other banks, and individual retirement account (IRA) CDs are also available, an offering that is not true of all online banks.

Money Market Accounts

A money market account with Synchrony will earn a 1.20 percent APY. This account has no minimum balance, no minimum opening deposit, and no monthly service fees. It provides greater access to and flexibility with your money than Synchrony's savings accounts. With this account, you can write checks and make cash withdrawals online, by phone, or via ATM.

A money market account is a mix between a checking account and a savings account, and is a great option for when you want to earn interest on your cash, but don't want to tie up all your money. A retirement account option, an IRA Money Market Account is also available. Due to federal regulations, you can only make six withdrawals or transfers per month from a money market account.

The Bad

• Issues with fraudulent activity
  • Inaccurate Statements
  • Customer service

Issues with Fraudulent Activity

Even though Synchrony Financial offers very attractive products to their customers, there is a pattern of reviews complaining about fraudulent activity.

Some customers report that they were overcharged interest in their credit card accounts. This usually happened to customers who were ending a purchase and had only one payment left to make. Upon making a payment or receiving a statement, they found that they were charged additional interest for the entire amount of the purchase or far more than what was owed.

Inaccurate Statements

Some customers have received inaccurate bank and credit card statements. This of course would result in an accusation that a customer owed more money than they actually did. One review stated that a phone call was received about a "missed payment". When the customer proved to them that he had made the payment, they sent him a letter in which they acknowledged the payment, but the ending balance on the letter did not show the deduction of that payment.

There have also been scenarios in which accounts were cancelled without permission or prior notice, especially when there had been a time period of inactivity. These accounts were not delinquent and the period of inactivity was not very long.

Synchrony Financial has many customer reviews that report poor customer service. Common complaints include incorrect addresses and phone numbers on accounts, inability or refusal to return phone calls on unresolved issues, locking customers out of their accounts, being put on hold for extensive periods of time, and no follow up after customer representative states there would be such, in order to reverse clerical errors.

If you pay off your account early, Synchrony Financial may not view this as being in good standing. Instead of receiving a statement to close out the account, several customers state that they were charged additional interest fees, late fees or amounts. The effected clients experienced adverse credit scores and reports. This terrible customer service makes online banking with Synchrony very difficult.

The Bottom Line

If you choose to work with Synchrony Bank, you can expect reliable online and mobile banking and great interest rates. Synchrony Bank has great interest rates on several of its accounts and multiple ways to withdraw money and contact customer service. However, it has a reputation for overcharging. Customers complain about having to deal with fraud charges. Ironically enough, Synchrony Bank customers who decide to pay their accounts of early might want to retain a lawyer, because instead of maintaining a good credit score, they in fact may be penalized with late fees and a hit to their credit score.

Synchrony Financial looks good on the surface, but is lacking in the areas where it really counts. Customer service is not reliable and many customers have reported difficulties getting in contact with and working with Synchrony's customer service representatives. For more information, see our Synchrony Bank reviews below.

1.1

jan a dillman Saint Joseph, MO

I had a Synchrony Bank card and was a victim of fraud. Someone had purchased over $300.00 worth of items that I did not order. This occurred in December, 2021. I immediately called to report the fraud and it took forever to reach a human to report this to. They told me that they would resolve this problem within 30 days. During the last seven months, I have received a multitude of phone calls telling me to pay my bill. I have received statements and texts. I have been harassed for seven months by this awful company. I called again last week and was on the phone for over an hour. I repeated my story for the umpteenth time and still could not get anyone to help me. I am furious and know that this is not the end of this problem for me.

Tim Wiltse Kalamazoo, MI

I recently cancelled my Synchrony credit card due to their poor customer service. My Sam's Club annual membership was charged directly to this card unbeknownst to me. I did not receive a billing or an email notifying me of any amount owed by me. So I finally got a late notice with my $100 annual membership charge and a Synchrony's $31 late fee added. I stopped at the customer service counter at Sam's Club to tell them I was unpleased with Synchrony Bank and would like to cancel my Credit Card account. They told me I would have to call Synchrony Bank Customer Service. So I called them from Sam's Club and after listening to what seemed like 15 minutes of computer generated announcements and department selections I was informed that if I wanted to "TALK" to a real live person that there is an additional "$10.00 FEE!!!" . After paying my membership over the phone I cancelled my account with this "STINKING BANK!!". I hate to say it but I think Synchrony Bank is just a part of the Sam Walton, Walmart, Sam's Club multi-billion dollar conglomerate!

Darryl Redfield Redondo Beach, CA

It took me several years to catch on to Synchrony, because I used to carry just one Visa or M/C and my ATM card. But more recently I lost several relatives and a large chunk of change to my older sister, so it's been less spending and more working around here. Over the past year, in this household, one credit card was shut down because it was paid off. ??? Another refused to get involved in by-mail store return to a business that uses Synchrony and my niece lost three hundred dollars she couldn't afford. Worst recently? I had a Care Credit card for pet care only. I used the card and paid on it, over a period of months. I finally paid it off and held onto it because things haven't been great and one of my pets had cancer. After the pet had gone through four surgeries and recovered well, she suddenly got worse. I was alone with her in a carrier in the car in the middle of the night and no one would see her unless I showed money up front (not unusual since Covid began). She died yowling in the front seat because once I managed to get ahold of my regular vet, he let me know my Care Credit card was closed. I called, and sure enough, I paid off that d*mned Synchrony card, the bank shut it down. There are so many options to Synchrony! My family has gone through all of their accounts of every kind and we've closed everything related to Synchrony. If for some reason you're forced to go with Synchrony Bank for anything, make sure you have other accounts, in good standing, available at home and when you're out in public. Synchrony should be put out of business and if I were younger I'd get to work on it.

I dislike synchrony bank this much -- I created an account just to leave a review Atlanta, GA

I really enjoyed having a Paypal Line of Credit with 0% interest rate. Then one day, Synchrony Bank took over their credit lines with a "credit card". I don't mind credit cards, but that wasn't what I signed up for #1. #2 Synchrony sucks. Get a credit card with any other bank. Seriously. #3 I need to change my contact information but they won't let me. Lol. Riight? They couldn't just use the credit bureaus to keep my information up to date. They couldn't just periodically ask me if my contact information is still "accurate". Nope. So I have an issue because my phone number, address, and email are all outdated. So they can't update my information. Customer Service is useless. They are nice, but are helpless to help you (not because they don't want to, but because they have zero power to. Why bother even having the facade of customer service, Synchrony?) So I input my drivers license, and my address, and whatever other inane questions the system asked for -- then had to take a video. IT COULD NOT VALIDATE MY IDENTITY (eh hem, I'm the REAL ACTUAL HONEST TO GOD card holder) and they couldn't help. I did a balance transfer to get away from the horse crap, and just have that credit card on file instead of paypal credit.

Godis Jones Durham, NC

I had 2 account with Synchrony Bank, Rooms 2 Go furniture and Lowes Home improvement. I'll speak of the R2G account first; I received their credit card through Synchrony Bank. After I purchased my furniture there was a 700.00 discrepancy with my credit balance, I called the bank without any help they advised me to contact R2G, I never got any answers from anyone but somehow the money reappeared in my account. Then about 6 months later I received a letter from Synchrony stating my credit score was 598 therefore they were reducing my credit limit. I filed a dispute to no avail, the 6 months after that I received the same exact letter! I called the bank to dispute and to tell them they are lying because I keep record of my credit and it has never been in the 500s. I closed the account and filed a complaint with my state Attorney General office. My Lowes account was closed due to missed payments, but I have all of my bills on automatic payments and my credit history show 0 late payments. I called to dispute again to no avail. Sychrony is the absolute worst. I will NEVER do business with this company again. A bunch of crooks!!

BLM Proud Hanover, PA

I linked an external account to my synchrony bank online account and verified all trial deposits. The link account was marked as open. According to the system there was no more to be done. When I tried to transfer money out of synchrony because of prior service problems I’ve experienced synchrony bank the bank proceeded to flag my account is restricted. I called the bank to ask why they couldn’t tell me a reason. I explained that I’m the owner of the account and I would like my money please and they said they have to unlock the account which takes four days and then to cut me a check will take another 10 days. They made a disclaimer that other complications could arise delaying the process even longer. Synchronies procedures from the way you have to close immature CD all the way to transferring money to an external account that has been verified are atrocious. Nothing is easy you have to make call after call to the service center and each call is an hour approximate. Terrible banking institution to work with I am very happy to be done with those folks.

Elvira Pasmanik Owings Mills, MD

Two years ago I was doing a home project through Lowe's, and was talked to getting CC through Lowe's. They told me that for 2 years you do not pay any interest, if you do not pay the card within 2 years the interest will start. Recently I started to get calls (every few hours) from Asia that I thought were a fraud. They told me that I had to pay the double amount from what I had on CC. When I opened the statement I saw that I had to pay my card in full by a certain day or they will charge you 27% for each year. It was 1 month after that day. They made me pay the whole (doubled) amount. My question is why could not they hire the same Company to call people every 4 hours reminding them to pay the whole amount or the amount would double. Please do not take CC from them or deal with that bank. I feel that I was robbed.

Vicki G Franklin, IN

Looks like the negative reviews didn't read the info on their credit card statement re: interest charged during a free interest period! I've used Snchrony Bank many times for interest free products and had no issues. Recently opened a CD and Andy was pleasant to work with.

Lardija Sisic Fort Worth, TX

they suck i called and i think i called India so no one is English and they have spoken to Jack i think and he has no idea what he is talking about he talks fast and incorrect so i can't understand him worst company ever to call and they are for Walmart credit card and all mange retail store credit carts my English is not that great but this was the worst experience i ever had

Deborah Laubert O'Fallon, MO

Getting help here is next to impossible. Dwight was very disrespectful and downgrading in his dealing with me. I had spoken to two managers a week ago and two today - each said something different and I had been promised a call back which I did not get. They are holding a check to pay off an account - not close it - but pay it off and the check is from a nationally recognized credit union - not a personal check. They are acting like I am a criminal and are very demeaning. I was not polite - as I had to speak over them to get them to even listen to me or to explain anything. Because I had not paid such a large amount before - I was flagged. Because I wanted to pay off charges that were coming and so put into the payoff amount - I was flagged. Meanwhile - my account looks like it is past due - and they don't care. QVC is the account I am trying to pay off. They will not release the funds from this credit union for 10 days - what a bunch of !!!. I UNDERSTAND WHY THE POOR REVIEWS. They do not deserve one star - and they need someone to teach them respect and a better grip on their rules and regulations. I am past furious - they hoped I was recording them as they said they were recording me - Great - Let's play it back. When all is said and done - it is a shame that they can not recognize a reputable financial institution and provide customer service. It is also a shame that they come off - with a demeaning "that's too bad or I'm so sorry" statement. I have never had such a miserable conversation with no result before this. If the managers above the guys I dealt with - do not see the problem here with how they handle things - then it becomes clear - that they don't care and that it comes from them.

Wilbanks Teresa Tupelo, MS

My parents who are elderly were charged with ONLINE purchase of a welder for $661.25. We filed a fraud report 4-4-22 one week after my mother died and we got the statement. After your incompetent investigator finished he decided my dad who is a user on her card bought the welder. My dad has no use for a welder, has multiple medical problems making it difficult to use one, and has no idea how to purchase anything online. I asked the person I spoke with at synchrony fraud investigations today about where the welder was sent and what is the ip address it was ordered from, 2 questions that any competent person would look for. They had no answer just that it would go to collection agency against my deceased mothers estate. Well I cant think of one positive thing to say about synchrony or lowes and I will be letting lowes know that I will looking for a different place to purchase from.

Davra Clayton Albuquerque, NM

I took out the CareCredit / Synchrony Bank card to pay for expensive dental work and have also used it for veterinary services. I like the way the Promotional Payments can be deferred without interest which has been helpful being on a fixed income. Now the frustrating.... I had three Promotional Purchases coming due in the first 3 months of this year. I made 2 calls to Synchrony Bank (being on hold for minutes and minutes each time) to confirm the amounts of each Promotional Purchase coming due and the exact pay-off amount each. I took money from my 401-K to pay out ALL of the promotional purchases coming due, and made a lump sum payment for over $2K in a phone conversation where I specified the amount for each pay-off. Each was paid in full with no interest! It was confirmed by the representative I spoke with. Or so I thought! The next month when I went on-line to check my account, several of the Promotional Purchases showed balances, so I immediately called SB. After a LONG hold, I got a girl who was really hard to hear and who didn't seem to know what I was talking about. After going over it with her for several minutes with no understanding, I asked for her supervisor and went over it AGAIN. After another LONG wait the manager came back and agreed that the money I paid had not been allocated correctly and interest had been wrongly charged to my account. She insisted it was straightened out, apologized and informed me it could take 1 - 2 billing cycles for the corrected amount to show up. Really? Shouldn't a correction be made immediately? Fast forward to the following month - upon checking the on-line account, my balance for one of the Promotional Purchases had been moved to inactive, BUT instead of being paid off, it showed over $300 still due. So another phone call to CUSTOMER SERVICE? - another LONG wait, another lady with a timid voice who said it was the interest due for the remaining balance. She proceeded to explain how much the interest was, and I kept saying it was paid off several months prior to the due date - there was no remaining balance. Finally she said she would have to speak to her manager - WAIT, she came back, said WAIT while she got the answer...WAIT. I asked if I could just talk to the manager myself. She ignored that and said WAIT. Finally she came back and said that he "was able to remove the accrued interest" (which I said never should have been there in the first place). She again said her manager was able to fix it. I got her name, his name and a confirmation that it would be corrected within 48 hours. While I was on hold - again and again, I went to the best company website to see if anyone else had issues - thank goodness, it isn't just me!! I thought maybe I was jinxed. My husband keeps saying "get rid of that card, they are incompetent" but I keep holding out because we just don't have the money up front to pay for dental work or vet bills. I keep expecting better accounting and customer service. But, I'm about done with the time and frustration. I feel like I have to check every month to see if it's been corrected and worry about their next mishandling of the account.

Haygar Horrible Weaverville, NC

Changing a phone number in PayPal credit is impossible, thanks to synchrony bank. The customer service is inept and offshore based. They screwed up with Amazon and now they are screwing up with PayPal credit.

Hippiechick555 North Port, FL

Horrible company. Cuts your credit limit even when your score and income go UP and then closes your account after you pay it off in a lump sum ON TIME. THEY will harm your credit score and don’t care. Horrible company. Horrible.

fabian C Los Angeles, CA

Synchrony is by far my worst experience among all banking institutions I've used. At all levels: rates, service, usability of their app, ultra long delay between payments and the time they actually get withdrawn. transparency of the fine print rules. Almost everything they do, is less good, or less fast than other banks. I wish Amazon (and Google) would partner with someone else.

FINNY PATHICKAL Ocala, FL

I was using this bank for last six years . I have learned my lesson . Most of my earning goes to their intrest . Even some account which i never start with synchrony end up they buy and same issues as before . Unusual late payment charge even u make payment on time . Variable interest rate means slaming on credit line and credit score on one account and changing higher intrest rate on most of the account . So next month i will be completely synchrony bank fraud free . Never this bank in my life .

Deborah Dawicki Solvang, CA

I was trying to verify my identity for a CC (Harbor Freight) and the process was terrible. They needed a video of me which I wasn't prepared for. Then they wanted to take a picture of my license with my IPAD camera front and back and the process did not work. I tried to pre-qualify. It sent a link to my mobile phone and it came up verified but the website didn't detect that. This whole process was ridiculous. I have existing credit with synchrony bank and never had to go through all this.

Victoria Holloway Justice, IL

I got pre approved for care credit in january. Never received the physical card. Now with that on mind I tried to access my account that month said everything was incorrect meanwhile I still have no card and called everyday over what I owe and when I explained my situation they said I will get a call next week. 2 days later I am being called again. No sympathy and unprofessional at best. Will not be recommending and will be urging anyone I know to avoid.

chuck dill West Dundee, IL

I was approved for a credit card 2 weeks ago. They information they supplied said that if I didn't receive it in 10 business days I should call. I have yet to receive the card. I tried calling today. I called a number I found a number on their website for credit cards. After some questions from a synchrony computer it said I had the wrong number and I should call the number on the back of the card. Back to the internet. Found another number. Same description. Call this number for questions about your credit card. This happened 4 different times with 4 different numbers. I was never able to talk to a person. Always disconnected after being told that I had the wrong number. On the last number I called and screaming "agent" about 50 times, I got a person who said she would transfer me. Got another computer that said I didn't have a balance, they hadn't sent a card, call back in 10 days and, by the way, you will receive your statement in 2 weeks. THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED and that is saying something Don't corporations know how mad it makes customers when they will do almost anything to keep you from talking to a person? I'm still not sure about the status of my credit card.

Dillon Duncan Pittsburgh, PA

I was partway through an application over the phone with a live agent on the phone. I was asked if it was okay to run my credit, to which I answered that I would like to place my application on hold until I consulted with my home loan officer. I specifically asked to place my application on hold until I called back to continue the process for the Synchrony Health Services Credit Account. An hour later I receive an email notification that they made a hard inquiry on my credit. Safe to say I will not be using Synchrony in the future and I would caution anyone against using Synchrony unless you like dealing with a shady company.

Beth Stone Fountain Valley, CA

Horrible, dishonest company. Do not have anything financed through this sham. I had my house painted through Platinum Home Remodeling and this was the company that they financed through. I paid monthly payments until he time that I needed to pay off before interest would be charged. I paid in full and actually overpaid by $240+. When I tried to reach someone by phone; I could not get a working number. In the meantime I received another statement that I owed another $6,000+. I disputed that and I finally sent a letter for a refund. Next I received a letter that I owed $41.00 for interest. Called again (this time the call went through as they thought I owed money).finally, asked to speak with a manager and after a long conversation he agree to send me a refund. I cannot understand how this place is in business. Do not do business with Platinum Home Remodeling unless you finance elsewhere.

The United States of America Choctaw, OK

Completely screwed my credit over as I financed a glass break sensor through ADT for my house. Biggest mistake of my life. They never sent me any documentation and stated that my address was incorrect in their system. It was not, everything was correct. Because of this my account was charged off and took my credit from a very nice 780 all the way down to 570. When asked how to resolve this issue, the customer service reps were so unknowledgeable on how credit reports work that they were unable to help me other than give me company lines. I will NEVER EVER think about using this joke of a lender ever again and I highly encourage anyone thinking of doing so to reconsider their decision.

Luann Everden Monticello, MN

I do wish that I had read these reviews before I did business with this nightmare bank. They have brought my credit score down to poor after I had very good credit. This spring I had a fraudulent purchase on my Visa (Synchrony) card. It was caught and I was waiting on a new card. In the meantime, they kept cutting my credit limit on other cards with them down to just over the balance I owed. This of course, caused my major cards to lower my limit because it appears that I’m using all my credit. Whenever I do use one they take more credit away. How do they manage to operate being like that? Isn’t there laws? I did file a BBB complaint yesterday. I don’t know if that will resolve anything, but I’ll keep trying.

Chris C Chicago, IL

I am in the process of relocating from Maryland to Florida for work. I decided it will be easier to sell off some of the furniture I have and purchase new. I opened a Rooms-to-go account through Synchrony about two years ago. They gave me a credit limit of $4,500 and I purchased a couch for about $1,200 and paid it off in a few months. In addition, I also had a Synchrony Sport account through a bike shop with a limit of $4,300. This account has been open for about 5 years. I purchased two bikes with that account and paid them off within a few months. Lastly, I recently applied for a JC Penny card a couple of years ago. I've used the card a couple of times and paid it off. I have never had one late payment through this company. I have made a few significant purchases within the past couple of years, but my credit score has remained above 700. I called Synchrony a couple of days ago to ask for a credit increase for my Rooms-to-go account only to find that it had been closed out. Does this company not understand that closing an account affects people's credit?? The Customer Service Rep advised me that a 3rd party company pulls periodic credit profiles and she said my account was closed due to high balances on other accounts. She told me that they sent this information via email. Well I have never deleted an email from a creditor and I was not able to come up with anything. Over the course of the past two years, I have never used more than 20% of my available credit, so I am very confused as to why my account was closed without my consent. If my credit usage was a concern, I would have appreciated a phone call bringing up this concern and if changes needed to be made with the amount of available credit, allow me to decide what that looks like. I would have preferred to lower the balance or close the sport account and retain the rooms to go account. Obviously, this company could care less about it's customers and do not conduct business in a professional manner. I have been a great customer to they company over the past 5 years and never been late. I find it absolutely absurd that they decided to close one of my accounts without any notice. I have already closed my other accounts. I will take the hit on my credit and make up for it down the line. I will never do business with Synchrony again.

Coby Tucker Bozeman, MT

For months my Amazon account would always notify me an hour after a purchase that my payment was declined after selecting my synchrony card. I would log on to my synchrony account and saw no issues, nothing was red, nothing prompted me to update anything, there were zero notifications on my account. I called the bank. After a terrible grueling conversation with a computer where I was mostly yelling because it would just go on and on and on until I got a person after 6 minutes. The person was nice, she offered to send me to the Amazon branch and I accepted to the transfer. I heard the phone ring and then I could hear her press buttons and then her button pressing stopped. What I was left with was a person saying I won free medical alert tags and needed to accept my offer........w t f is that??? I feel scammed by this company. I called again and used the number to the Amazon division. After another 6 minutes with a computer person did it give me the option to speak to a person and it said there would be a survey after the call. This lady seemed to solve my issue very quickly. I asked as to why I have not once been notified and she moved away from that question and asked if she could do anything else. She hung up the call and there was no survey. Yall I am still pretty mad and agitated. I am going to close my account. Its just not worth the bull dookie phone scams and the incredibly long and annoying call format with the computers asking the same thing over and over again. This company needs some work and better needs to notify its customers regarding issues with their accounts.

Lauren Watkins Charlotte, NC

If I could give 1 star I would. I am only stuck with these bafoons because I applied for care credit, and it ended up being through them. Number one, the customer service professionals are the rudest nastiest most disrespectful smart mouthed people I have ever had to deal with. Incompetent is putting it nicely. Only talked two women there that I didn't have to curse out to be quite honest. I selected online to make the minimum payment for a total balance of 2,777 or something. It was like 272 or some odd number. Then all of a sudden come to find out they took the full balance from my account! When I called they insisted and wanted to argue back and forth about whether I did it or not, no I promise you I am a single broke mom. I'm very careful when I make payments online. I'm definitely not making a mistake like that and I remember exactly what I selected and even what it said when I was confirming my choice! They refuse to credit it back to your account and say they must send out a check. I have been waiting now for like a month for this check as they claim they had to investigate it or something yet they already put the full balance back on my account?!?! Not to mention, when I signed up and even my provider said its supposed to be payments deferred for like x amount of months, I think 12 or something. But they have been blowing my phone up 10 million times a day, all hours of the day and night leaving vm's, emails, texts, it's insane, right after the freaking surgery! I even called them and explained to them, look this was billed wrong this is actually going through insurance, can you chill with the calls while the claim is processed?! But no, it just never stops. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT find yourself entwined with this scam/crook of a company you will regret it greatly!

Jim Brown Odessa, FL

Have had CDs with Synchrony for many years. Recently I have wanted to close them out as I have needed the money for other purposes. After waiting on hold for 15-20 for an agent to request to close the account, it takes them over 4 business days and then I have to call back again to complain that the account is still open. It shouldn't take over 4 days just to close the account and I'm not even talking about the time it would then take them to transfer the money to me. It's happened twice in the last 30 days and you have to wait on hold at least 20 mins to get a representative. The reps sound like they are at home (crying child in background). Synchrony used to be a reliable decent bank.. not any more.

Amy Bruceton Mills, WV

I had a Care Credit card for emergencies and I used it for some dental work. I had interest free payments for 12 months, I paid it off and Synchrony closed it just days after paying it off thats been two or three years ago....I got accepted for a JcPenny card in 2019 not even realizing it was a Synchrony held account and I would use it on occasion and pay it off. I went to purchase a few pieces of clothing today and it's probably a good thing that I was ordering online and not standing in a store, the customer service lady was nice but when she told me that I no longer had an account that it had been closed by Synchrony on May 4th, 2022 I was livid never been late, never been over the limit and never had a problem. So I asked why did my account get closed she told me that I should have gotten a letter (I never received any letter) so she began reading to me what it said "lack of real estate info" "to many resolving credit cards with high balances" (um, I just paid several off and lowered most to not even a quarter of what my available credit is).....Well didn't think you had to own a house or anything to basically make you look like your credit sucks.. .. I will make sure I check what bank a card is carried by before I do anything cause I will not do business with Synchrony again

GODisaRefuge4Us Boise, ID

I changed my mobile phone number. I updated it on the Synchrony bank website for my savings account. The next time I try to login, I'm prompted to verify using my phone number. There were 6 old phone numbers in the drop-down box. But the phone number I just added to my account 2 weeks earlier was not listed. So I couldn't login to my account. This has happened to me in the past. The Synchrony agent said my new phone hasn't been verified yet. What? Every other bank and credit card company let me change my phone number online and I could use it to login immediately. Not Synchrony. The agent said my new phone would be added in 2 months. Really? I can't access my account for 2 months? To make matters worse, the agent rudely talked over me several times. Account closed. Don't risk getting locked out of your account for 2 months just because you change your phone number.

Melanie Murosky Pittston, PA

I've had a Care Credit and JCPenney card with Synchrony for many years. I've never been behind or missed a payment. I would use both cards occasionally and pay them off without any problems. This was for over a decade. In September '21 I purchased a vehicle. That December I got a letter from Synchrony saying they were lowering my $900 limit to $400 (what I still owed on it at the time). I disputed this action since I'd been in good standing for over a decade. The customer service lady was incredibly rude and gave me false information about my review. They said my credit score was much much lower than it actually was and said they used my November rating. Now when I bought the vehicle I understood it may impact my credit (which i keep a very close eye on as I'm working to buy a home), but definitely not as much as they stated, so I filed the dispute as the rude lady recommended and nothing. Fast forward to May '22. I receive a letter out of the blue that they are closing my JCPenney account, which I had just paid off with a zero balance. They stated the same reasons as the first incident, even though I had done nothing differently and my credit was still going up. So it seems as my credit got better and I made strides to improve my utilization, that Synchrony will wait for a month when you've made a large purchase or had to use your other credit cards a bit more and site that your other open accounts aren't 'paid as agreed' which is total BS considering that with them and every other card company I deal with I have an exceptional payment history. This now will effect my credit which I have worked very hard to maintain. This has all occurred within 6 months of each other after a decade of using the cards and being in good standing with this company. I'm assuming in a few days I will receive a letter about my Care Credit account being lowered since I owe about $200 on the $400 I still use. I understand the fine print of them being able to do what they want at will but this is horrible business practice and leaves the consumer worse for the wear. It also destroyed any trust I held in this company. I'm not sure if this company got in some trouble during the pandemic or what's going on, but something isn't right here. This is also horrible for consumers credit which is always shaky at best for the average person. I will never open another card with this company if this is how they operate. Buyer beware.

Richard Ketterer Chicago, IL

Credit card rewards are a scam. I had a card with them specifically to finance a medical expense at no interest. Only thing I ever intended to use it for-when the debt was almost paid off, without my permission they switched it to a general Mastercard account and sent me a new card I didn't want. However, the card came with a promise of healthy rewards, including 5X the points on groceries for four months. I decided that was too good to pass up and began using the card for my weekly grocery store runs. I've since gone to redeem the points. Their rewards are opaque at best. The points you get seem random. And when you login-all the stuff on the website says that you get 2X the points on groceries yet I still get promotional materials that promise 5 points/dollar. I can't figure out-based on the amount of points I've received, if I'm getting the 5 points or the 2 points, but I suspect it's 2 points for every dollar. False advertising. Then I have attempted to redeem my rewards for statement credits multiple times and they just never process it. You submit, it depletes your point balance and acts like everything is done, but then you login and check your balance and the credit never appears and the points are back in your account. I intend to call and straighten it out-but this is not something I should have to spend an hour on the phone to do. If you have a rewards program, it should be transparent, and it should be easy to redeem the rewards. Closing this card, it's not worth the time/hassle no matter what rewards they supposedly offer.

JoLan Robinson Syracuse, NY

NOT EVEN 1 STAR This bank who i had 13 accounts with closed all of them on the same day without any notice. I fully understand they have this option however they could have let me explain instead of classifying me as a payment risk .I was never late on any payments and still was not. My credit score went down due to my bank going from one mortgage company to another and when they did this my score went down over a hundred points. I called numerous times and they said once your account is closed that they cannot reopen that account but i can reapply and my accounts are in good standing, again if that was the case why were they closed

Serebina Nyangoya Dallas, TX

Not the best option, last resort 😕 if you want you credit to look bad try synchrony, I had a credit n paid off later to realize they took me to collection because of $13, which they claimed when I called was supposed to maintain the account. First I didn't borrow from them, the merchant did which account am supposed to maintain with them....!!!

Sam Kumar Brampton, ON

i was owed a refund of $500 instead i received......45 cents after 2 yrs chargin me applicable interest and fees WHAT A BUNCH OF CROOKS.. CUSTOMER SERVICE WONT LET YOU THRU.. WHO REGULATES THESE CROOKS... HOW CAN THEY GET AWAY...

Fanci Heyser Philadelphia, PA

Horrible to deal with - no customer service- no support - when you have a problem you cannot talk to anyone about that problem they can only put in a dispute… And then you get a letter with no conversation no calls no anything… Good luck dealing with this company

Philip Fay Truckee, CA

Synchrony bank is the worst experience I has ever had withy any financial institution bar none. They are villains and not worthy of any customers, they will only jack up interest rates on you and then you will have to fight them. Then the problem is you will not be able to get anyone with 1/2 a brain on the phone. After many hours on the phone waiting, and waiting and waiting, you will lose your mind and soul.

Angela Sellers Elkton, MD

I was charged thousands and thousands of dollars for items, I never purchased I was paying my bill every month but I wasn’t being credited my bill kept going up and up every month, I disputed all the charges on my Amazon and no card and they stated that the charge’s are mines. Which is not true.. can anyone help, I’am ready to sue at this point this is a scam, I”m not paying for something I didn’t receive, is there a attorney that can help me with this ..sad part I have a lot of cards through this scamming bank Thank you

Lisa Turner Douglasville, GA

The customer service I received was horrible I called on May 26 and the representative was very short and rude I called again on the 28th and not one of the representatives clicked on for me to leave to leave a survey the treatment I received was unexceptionable and I’m very upset

dancemom Hazleton, PA

I have been a synchrony bank customer for years. Many of my have transitioned to Synchrony Bank. I just went to use my Synchrony home card to have it declined. They closed my account due to inactivity. I was not notified that it would be closed or that it had been closed. I spoke with a manager and her reply was they are not obligated to notify you of account closures prior or after. Synchrony obviously knows nothing about courtesy or good customer service. Manager told me I could open a new account. I told her I will never have an account with them again

Jones Shelby, NC

Sam’s Club Master Card through Synchrony Bank was the Worst credit card ever used! Had card less than one month and card was canceled twice for suspicious purchases. Card was shut off each time. Was told a new card would be mailed within 7-10 days??? Furthermore, Synchrony Bank’s Authentication tool did not work! Just paid off balance and CANCELED CARD. We weren’t able to use card half the period of time we had it. NOT WORTH THE HASSLE!

Dawn Walker Kodak, TN

ZERO stars! It is fine until you need to access your money! They have a limit on bank transfers that is not stated anywhere on their website. Manager told me they would air freight a check because I needed more of our funds for a closing on our new home. They did not air freight the check for 2 days! I was on the phone with 3 different managers, for 3 hours, the last one "off shore" and NO ONE was able to help me or called me back. Filing complaint with Better Business Bureau also.

Shannon G Santee, CA

I've had the card for a year. After a year of on-time payments, and paying more than the minimum, they cut my credit limit down to my current balance. So now it shows I am utilizing 100% of my credit limit and caused my credit score to drop 57 points. Of course, this happens right when I am shopping for a new car. I received no notice this was happening, and no explanation from Synchrony Bank.

Armin Brown TX

Gave no notice prior to taking action but decided to close one of my accounts because my “balance was too high” even though the card is paid off EVERY MONTH. Not minimum payments, paid down to $0 every month with no issues and no missed payments. Absolutely ridiculous. Thank you for making it even harder to build and maintain credit in an already horrible economic situation. Trash company I will never open a new account with you and I will close EVERY SINGLE ONE of my remaining accounts.

TED KOLLISTER Latonia, KY

Synchrony bank is a joke they closed 60k worth of credit accounts with no notice period I have been a loyal customer always paid my bills on time they said they were closed due to inactivity I have a good income so I don't need to rely on credit as much there's two reasons they closed my accounts 1 no swipe fees 2 no interest cause I paid off my accounts in full each month basically they didn't make a dime on me cause I don't carry a balance on any of my cards I'm done with synchrony bank no more business with them

P williams Villa Rica, GA

Do not get a credit card that uses Synchrony Bank. We purchase a house and got furniture from Rooms to Go and a bed from Sleep number but cards through Synchrony Bank. The only reason we did was because the no interest payments for 12 months. Two months before the cards were paid off and interest kicks in the bank closes both cards and say it due to non usage for three months. Who purchase furniture every three months. This messed up my credit and now I am looking at reviews they do it all the time and that is not fair.

Rita White Warrior, AL

Lost job and got behind on my care credit! No matter how much extra you pay showing you are trying to get caught up. They start blowing your phone up. Each time I speak with them it’s like talking to a wall. I am in the lending business this is very unacceptable. I am also paying for hearing aids that I can not use during the week at work. Just poor customer service. Good thing I am honest person.!! They will get the money!

Balboa Hopewell Junction, NY

I pay synchrony bank through my automatic bill pay through my bank. Have been for 2 years now. Received a bill with a $40 late fee on a 95 bill. Needless to say they received my money well before the due date , via the ups tracking of a check through my bank( 7 days early) Synchrony sat on this check until 4 days after the due date, 4 days! I called them and you know what they said , “ we have no responsibility to process customer payments in timely manner and that we were on the hook for the late payment “! Meaning they can hold your payment until after the due date and charge you late fees!!! This company should be looked into, If they can due this , all companies are gonna start doing this to make up for the money they lost during the pandemic.

Tina A Madison, WI

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SYNCHRONY BANK. They make offer for "no-interest and then, if you don't calculate exactly like they do, you won't pay the balance off in time and they will CHARGE YOU EXORBITANT, UNFAIR, AND GOUGING interest rates. I paid on Lumber Liquidators religiously, calculating monthly payments that would bring me to 0 for the end of the period. I was off. I begged them to help me out. They charged me $680+ interest when my remaining balance was only $500! That is OVER 50%! They are crooks that deliberately hide their rules and regulations. Yes, they charged me entire interest for the $2000+ loan for my flooring in 2020. RUN FAR AWAY FROM THIS BANK. THEY ARE INTEREST GOUGERS.

Deborah Jarrett Atlanta, GA

If I could give this disreputable company a -20 I would. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SYNCHRONY BANK. They do not respect the customer. They closed my RTG account with a 2000 dollar credit line, without notifying me. I had a zero balance and had paid them off for four different purchases. During the pandemic, I charged nothing due to uncertainty of financial markets. I did not want a large amount of debt. To my shock, they closed my account without notification. I called and got the true run around!!!! Sorry I did business with this awful company. If you have any accounts with Synchrony Bank, pay them off as soon as you can and drop them!!! They are the worst company ever and will screw up your credit rating in a heartbeat. I hate I even did business with this unscrupulous company. They should be reported to the FCC and any other credit WATCHDOG company because they are "true crooks." I WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM EVER AGAIN!!!!!

P Breaux Bridge, LA

Synchrony's error created multiple charges on my credit card, and duplicate shipments of non-returnable items. These charges will remain reflected in my credit usage percentage of my FICO Score for 90 days. They went on to attempt to defer the responsibility of their errors of incompetence to me. Luckily, I didn't give them my bank account information. I'm going to refuse the shipments, and tell the merchant and Synchrony that I intend to pay nothing to anyone. And if they put derogatory marks on my credit report (which is FLAWLESS) I will sue them. I absolutely discourage use of a Synchrony Bank credit card. At best, they are a very disorganized company, and at worst, a bunch of con artists. DO NOT open a line of credit with them. I'm closing my account tomorrow, and washing my hands of them. I'll let The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau handle this nonsense. Absolute nonsense. The Feds need to shut Synchrony down.