Safeway Moving System Logo

Safeway Moving System

8.1

LAST UPDATED: October 8th, 2021

Veteran owned and based in Chicago, Safeway Moving System offers local, long-distance, and international moving services as well as storage options. The company specializes in providing moving services for large homes and condos and provides its customers with a flat rate price, or hourly rate, for their moves with a promise of no extra charges or hidden fees. Safeway Moving System is granted full operating authority by the U.S. and Canadian governments, which means that they are authorized to provide services in all states and provinces. With over 100 trucks in its network, Safeway Moving System is able to find you the best solution for an affordable price.

In addition to its traditional moving services, Safeway Moving offers monthly storage for personal and commercial valuables. The company prides itself on being an industry leader in international relocation, moving, storage, and freight forwarding services.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Free Moving Quotes
  • No Hidden Fees
  • Storage Solutions
  • International Reach
  • Works with Condo Associations

Positive Customer Reviews

Safeway Moving System has many positive online reviews. Reviewers are often observed sharing their positive view of the company’s no hidden fee policy. Many said they were satisfied with the company’s transparent pricing and that they were charged the amount they were quoted for their move. Positive reviews also mentioned the professionalism and timeliness of the company’s movers.

Free Moving Quotes

When moving, it is always a good idea to get pricing quotes from several moving companies to see which would be the best fit for your move. Safeway Moving System provides free quotes via email or over the phone.

No Hidden Fees

Some moving companies provide quotes that are inaccurate, too low, or that do not mention fees or additional charges that a customer could potentially incur. Safeway Moving System promises its customers that it does not charge hidden fees or add on extra charge. The company quotes movers a flat rate price, or hourly rate, and do not charge for travel time back and forth between counties as some companies do.

Storage Solutions

Safeway Moving System offers its customers personal and commercial storage solutions, including to those moving internationally. Items are stored in wooden storage vaults equipped with anti-theft security alarm systems. Customers can start renting storage space anytime and are charged monthly with the first month’s rent being free as an introductory special. As a benefit, Safeway Moving System promises to match or beat its competitors storage pricing, so movers looking for storage should shop around to guarantee the lowest price.

International Reach

Because international moves can be more complicated and stressful, Safeway Moving System is committed to making the process run smoothly. The company has seventeen international licensees and relationships with more than 300 preferred global partners. While it seems Safeway specializes in moves within North America, it encourages customers to call their customer service reps for information on moves outside of the United States and Canada.

As a bonus, Safeway Moving System’s move coordinators can help guide customers through a variety of questions that may arise during an international move. The company can provide information on the destination country, climate, schools, and shipping regulations that can affect what movers are allowed to transport into the country.

Works with Condo Associations

Many condo associations require moving companies to verify licensing, insurance, and credentials to mitigate risk. It is common for most moving companies to carry the minimum insurance policy required by law which is $750,000. Safeway Moving System carries $1,000,000 dollar insurance policy and carries current licensing.

The Bad

• No Pricing Information Online
  • Inconsistent Online Reviews
  • Limited Services Compared to Competitors

No Pricing Information Online

Many moving companies will offer movers a way to obtain a moving quote online. This is convenient and makes comparing several moving companies’ quotes quick and easy. Safeway Moving System does not provide any pricing information on its website, and movers must call or email the company directly for a quote.

Inconsistent Online Reviews

While many of the company’s online reviews were glowing, there did appear to be some inconsistency. Many Safeway Moving System’s reviews give the company a glowing five stars, but there are also many rock-bottom one-star reviews accusing the company of paying for positive reviews online. Negative reviewers often mention that they were charged hidden fees after they were told there wouldn’t be any. Potential customers should carefully review quotes and ask what fees could potentially be charged.

Limited Services Compared to Competitors

Other moving services companies advertise a larger variety of services that can make a move easier and more convenient for customers such as cleaning services, move planners, and information specifically to assist with military moves. The company provides very limited information on car shipping; however, it does appear from some online reviews that customers were able to work with the company on shipping their vehicles.

The Bottom Line

Safeway Moving System has a decades-long history of providing moving services across all 50 states as well as internationally. This full service coverage can be very helpful for those moving long distances. The company’s storage service also provides customers with a convenient solution to storage needs when they arrive at their destination; no finding and arranging delivery to a separate storage facility. We are impressed by Safeway’s promise of flat rate moving quotes with no hidden fees, as well as its price match or beat guarantee for their storage services.

Accusations of fraudulent glowing, five-star reviews give us pause, and we encourage you to research a number of local long-distance movers, full-service movers, and relocation companies near you before making a final decision to ensure that the fees, offers, and services are the best fit for you.

Message from
Safeway Moving System

The Safeway to move: Military precision relocation

Founded by a U.S. Army Vet, Safeway Moving has grown to become one of the safest solutions to long distance moving.

The moving industry is confusing, and the last thing you need when preparing for a move is confusion. Safeway Moving System has helped enough people move that we know the industry inside and out. We will cut through the chaos and keep your move simple and affordable.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.8

Tommy North Liberty, IA

This company is an absolute scam. When I called to set up a date for my move, their salesperson sound super nice to me trying to sell me their moving service. He gave me a quote of $10,000 which is very high but I understand that these days, everything went up, so I did set up the service with them. Remember, this company is not a carrier, they are only the broker. They will ask you to pay 33% of deposit upfront, then 33% on the date of the pickup, and the remaining will be paid on the date of the delivery. Once you pay that very first 33%, your soul is sold to this horrible company. Their whole attitude changed, they will be super mean to you, not answering your calls, wouldn’t reply to your email when you have questions. Long story short, I was promised that the person will come on a Friday morning, but I waited all day, they never came, didn’t even answer my call. When someone finally answered the call, his reply was hey you are not our only customer ok. Then, the mover finally showed up on a Saturday morning, he quoted me $6,000 more. So the new total is $16,000… This is ridiculous, he Threatens me by saying if you don’t agree to this then we will leave and you can’t get your 33% of deposit back. I was forced to sign that contract because I don’t have a choice. Then the big nightmare begins, once I arrived to my destination, I called them and told them to deliver my stuff, they promised that it will be 3 person unloading the stuff on the delivery and they will come on Thursday. LIE again, I waited all day, no one show up. So I called but no one answered. I have waited until Sunday, three days after what they have promised, the person that answered the phone never apologize and said you know that I can legally keep your stuff for 21 days right? This is crazy… Then finally, the truck came two days after, which is on a Tuesday. Guess what?? Only one mover was there, not three as they have promised. The only mover that showed up barely speak any English, have an attitude. He refused to move my massage chair to my room saying that it doesn’t fit and ALL of my computer desks were completely destroyed, 6 of my shelf were crashed, my expensive massage chair, bed frame, mirror, table were all damaged. (See photos) because of their careless, bad handling, and horrible packaging skill. Also, all their movers will ask you for tips at the end, so unprofessional!!! Even with their terrible service, they would even dare to ask you for tips!!! Unbelievable… When I called up their company, Safeway will tell you that they are not responsible to pay for the damages because they are just a company that sells your moving service. So I contacted the carrier and ask for only $1,000 for damaging my stuff, after 30days, they responded by saying I can only pay you $82, WTF… excuse my language but please DON’T use this company for your moving service, they are a scam!!! I am SURE all their 5 stars reviews are fake, no way it’s true… NO WAY!

Dr. L Seattle, WA

At our initial call, they seemed decent but after taking my deposit for a cross-country move (~$11,000) there was almost no communication. I called multiple times but the customer rep I was assigned to was unhelpful and mostly unresponsive. They seem more focused on sales rather than aiding with moves, which seemed to be the whole point of a moving broker. My items eventually came after 30+ days of waiting, albeit with some broken and missing items. The biggest issue is that the moving company they selected was dissolved so my claims for broken items and missing boxes will remain unresolved. According to a manager, nothing will be done on their part. I cannot recommend Safeway Moving Systems at all. A side note: when I tried to get into contact with someone other than my customer rep (during the 30+ days of waiting), I was just told to call them instead (even though I couldn't get a response). I did get a callback but it was from another rep thinking I was a new customer. When they realized I wasn't, they were annoyed and hung up on me. This is part of why I say they seemed focused on sales.

Chris Giunta Asheville, NC

This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. Hands down. Getting an estimate and the entire process leading up to the signature is smooth, "don't stress, we've got this" and then once moving day arrives the nightmare begins. All services are contracted out to multiple companies for the packing, the loading, the move, and insurance so any customer service needed is a matrix of calls and emails that go unanswered. So far I've had to deal with 3 companies and 10+ people just to try and get compensated for a fence the driver hit with the truck since he DID NOT KNOW HOW TO PARK IT, as well as a destroyed bookcase that ocurred during the move. Our contract promised unloading and furniture reassembly would be handled but neither were true. My 7mo pregnant wife and I had to assemble furniture and I had to unload the truck. I'm currently planning legal action since this company is a scam and there are plenty of negative reviews that warrant further investigation.

AH Chula Vista, CA

Think twice before using Safeway Moving Systems (Chicago) I have had nothing but problems with Safeway. 1. Broker: Safeway is a BROKER, who hires third party moving companies. Once Safeway took my non-refundable deposit, their customer service ended. My moving co. was OnTrack Movers (NJ), a small one truck operation with no customer service. Trying to set-up a new moving date (OnTrack failed on the original pick-up) and finding missing crates was a complete nightmare. I still have not received any insurance proceeds, even after leaving repeated messages. 2. Binding Moving Estimate is significantly below actual: Safeway uses cubic feet estimates from their own system, regardless if you provide actual dimensions. The cubic feet estimate/price was 25% below my actual, even though nothing changed. Once you give a non-refundable deposit, the movers show up and surprise, your actual cubic feet/price has gone up. Your only recourse is to refuse to move whereby you lose your non-refundable deposit and you have to start the moving process over. 3. Written Contract: There were verbal commitments made from Safeway's Joseph C including that I had additional space under my minimum space requirement of 450 cubic feet. However even when my move was below 450 c ft, Safeway charged me 25% more as there was no provision for minimum space allowance in the Binding Moving Estimate contract. Buyer beware. Words to the wise, choose a moving company which will be moving your items not a broker. Although Safeway had one of the cheapest price quotes, its not worth the additional cost, pain and suffering of dealing with this company.

Stacy Ruegilin Redmond, WA

Safeway Moving Systems is engaged in criminal fraud. Be very skeptical of all of these 5 star reviews that sound the same. I recommend taking a look at their Yelp page and BBB complaints. Those will offer a more accurate representation of Safeway. Safeway and its subcontractor, Van Go, together fraudulently misrepresented the size of the Penske moving truck they used for our move. We were overcharged by nearly $1000, and though we have proof of the fraudulent conduct--Penske corporate confirmed the size of the truck by its license plate number--Safeway has refused to remedy this issue. Upon pickup, Van Go attempted to charge us for 1,900 cubic feet by misrepresenting the size of the truck used as having a capacity of 2,000 cubic feet. This was a lie. We realized shortly after pickup that there is no 2,000 cf truck in Penske's inventory. After dozens of phone calls and emails, Safeway begrudgingly adjusted our invoice. However, David R of Safeway continued to insist that the Penske truck used for our move was a "special, manual transmission" truck with a capacity of 1,800 cf. He also promised to send proof of this with leasing documents. Both statements were lies. No such truck exists. Safeway blatantly and intentionally cheated us. On top of all of this, EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. OF. FURNITURE. we had moved was damaged in some way. Several piece were completely crushed or destroyed beyond repair. Safeway refuses to take any calls or answer emails, so tough luck for us and anyone else that does business with them.

AndreaY San Diego, CA

They are supposed to be a military company but they don´t give a rats ass about the military, their customers or anyone. Once they have your money you can forget about basic customer service, no follow-ups, incorrect delivery times. I regret everyday being dooped into using this shady company. Do yourself a favor and RUN from this company, don`t fall for their lies.

Tracy Louis Portland, OR

This company is shameless in how they run this business. The reason people will see good reviews is because after you are given a good faith quote over the phone, the movers arrive for your move and almost double the cost. They then offer to lower the price if you write 3 good reviews on different sites. They will then take screen shots of your reviews. They will not begin moving your stuff out until this is done and you've signed a 7 page contact. I personally had to wait 2 weeks to receive my furniture, clothing, cookware, TV, bath towels, etc. To add the cherry on the cake of this disaster, they managed to break an antique side board that was my great grandmother's. It was 90 years old and in my possession for over 30 years. In all my moves in that 30 years it was never damaged!. A picture and lamp were also damaged. Basically they loaded my things in Colorado Springs and unloaded in Denver where my things sat. Then finally loaded again in Denver to WA. Once here, unloaded again from the 18 wheeler and reloaded onto a U-Haul (which was another cost plus more money for the "extra" labor. Unloaded again. I'm convinced this is how my things were broken. In addition, the distance from the U-Haul to my apartment was exact half a mile up the road yet they managed to go to the other side of the city; 8 miles, which was more money on the gas and mileage. Since it was approximately 2 hours after they left the U-Haul, my theory is they used the truck I rented to drop off another load. The reason I was given for the delay in getting my belongings from Denver was because they didn't have any other moves scheduled coming out west. My things in no way took up an 18 wheeler. POS company

Bhrugini Patel Arlington, MA

WORST MOVING COMPANY!! DO NOT HIRE!! Getting a quote and contract in place with Safeway Moving system for my move from TX to NY was smooth but after they picked up our stuff it was a total nightmare that I am still dealing with. I had multiple stops for delivery in NY within 20 miles, one of them being Manhattan. 2 weeks after the pick-up, multiple agents, drivers and dispatch contacted me on the same day within hours of each other, including Safeway, with different delivery dates and times. It took almost a day to get clarity on the final (or so I thought was final) delivery date and time as none of them knew what was going on. I was already nervous at this point. To start with it was barely a 24 hour notice of the delivery date & time. It was close to 8pm the day before when I got the last call about the delivery. I was told my stuff would arrive at the first location between 11am and 1pm. I had repeatedly reminded every single person I talked to well before and after my items were picked up about the time restrictions at the 2nd location and each time the agents reassured me that wouldn't be a problem as they have done plenty of delivers in Manhattan and are aware of these types of restrictions. The next day (delivery day), I got a call from the actual driver around 12:40pm with ETA at 1st location of 4:30pm. I explained to him that is not the window I was given and that we won't be allowed at the 2nd location for delivery past 5pm. The driver was honest and said he had no idea about the time restrictions and that he would’ve planned for my delivery first that day had he known. I called the agent who called at 8pm the day before and said this is what is happening, he said he will talk to the driver and call me back. Neither the driver nor the agent called me back. I called them both back and no response. I then called every single number that had contacted me the day before, including safeway, and no one picked up. Finally the driver called back 2 hours later and said he now won't make it till 6pm due to traffic. This was not ideal but I said ok let me see if I can make this work. I made arrangements with the Manhattan location to allow us to unload my stuff until 7pm and luckily they agreed. Around 5:00pm I called the driver again and no response. I left a message and asked to go to Manhattan first as we had only till 7pm to move-in. I asked for an ETA which again took some time to get a response back and he responded saying he was still 1.5 hours away. This clearly would’ve been past the 7pm limit. I asked to speak to the manager and the manager started off yelling and continued to be completely rude necessarily and basically said I can take the delivery today at whatever time they get there or forget about getting my stuff. I was literally shaking from that phone call and told the driver to deliver the stuff at the 1st location in the fear of not getting my stuff back at all. They finally arrived at 7:30pm and finished unloading at 9:30pm. I had to hire a second moving company to move my stuff to Manhattan. I was contacting safeway (it was a Friday) and got no response. I called again on Monday (left a vm) and again no response. On Tuesday I called again and finally got a hold of an agent, explained the situation and he simply offered an apology and blamed me for choosing a cheap company to move (which I don't know who thinks 6K is anywhere near cheap). This wasn't the end of it all, when I opened the boxes rats had eaten up bunch of my stuff and every box had rat poo all over. So DISGUSTING! Don't hire this company, they are unprofessional, their movers are totally rude and none of them take any responsibility of their actions or lack of.

Tracy Darbeloff Watertown, MA

We have found this company incredibly frustrating to work with. Our original rep (Frank) was actually really nice and easy to work with. However, that is where the good times end. They originally said they would give us 72 hours notice for picking up our stuff--they gave us less than 18 hours. Then they showed up almost 8 hours late. And we think a few things were stolen--which we reported to safeway immediately. I understand this is the contractors and not safeway (technically) but it is on safeway to ensure their contractors are reliable and trustworthy. After reaching out to safeway numerous times, we found their customer service to be condescending and downright unhelpful. To add injury to insult, they must be wayyyy under quoting people to attract customers because despite insanely detailed inventory lists (which were almost identical to what the movers picked up, give or take a single chair), its costing us $1000+ more than original quotes. And they keep adding on charges. I am furious with this experience, with how much it is costing us, with how unhelpful safeway has been, and with how stressed I am that our stuff will ever even reach us. FIND A BETTER COMPANY.

AT New Tazewell, TN

We booked March 4, 2021 for April 1, 2021 pickup in PA with a binding estimate of $4600, and paid the $1800 deposit; first available delivery scheduled for April 3. We were told it could take 2-5 days for our stuff to reach us in TN. Contract clearly states 14 day avg. for that distance, so we prepared for that length of time. On March 29, the new estimate was $5808; we could not cancel without losing our $1800 deposit, so we went ahead. On the pickup day, once all our stuff was on the truck, we’re told it would be $6389 based on volume. After we arrived in TN on April 2, we waited a week and didn't hear anything. We called and asked for an updated delivery estimate and were told to expect a call back in 90 minutes. Never came. We called the next day, were told the same, and a call never came. We waited one day, then called again. No call back. I called again the next day and insisted I receive a call back, and was told I'd receive, at the very least, an email. I never received the email, and I checked all of my folders. This email supposedly sent April 12. On Wednesday, we hadn't received a call to let us know our stuff would be delivered within 24 hours, so I called again to ask where our stuff was. Was told I'd get a callback. Never happened. On Friday, April 16, I called again. I forcefully explained that I needed a guaranteed delivery date NOW or I'd recall the payments until I had one. I apologized for my frustration to the representative because it was not her fault, but explained that I was done being given the run-around since we'd paid over $6k for this move. She said she understood and I'd get a call back. Within 30 minutes we were told it would be that Saturday or Sunday (4/17-18). Our stuff made it 4/18, and was badly damaged. Legs were broken off an $800 club chair, 3 of 4 dining chairs, and a secretariat. I clearly labeled boxes with fragile items as “Fragile,” but items wrapped in four layers of bubble wrap and cushioned with multiple items of clothing are utterly shattered and crushed. We paid $2k in cash for the delivery and asked for a receipt. The deliverers gave me the completed contract and the form upon which I report damages. The contract completion form just lists the remaining balance to be paid upon delivery, it doesn't actually state that it's been paid. The only way to know it's been paid is the "delivery complete" signature, and this was not sufficient for the reimbursement. So we called Safeway on Monday 4/19 and asked for a receipt that showed all $6389 had been paid. We were told the "request has been submitted" and the receipt would be sent when it was ready. On 4/21 we learned there would be no reimbursement unless the receipt was submitted by end of business 4/22. So I called Safeway again. My call was answered by someone who did not provide their name. As I explained that we'd asked for this receipt twice and had yet to receive it, and we needed it ASAP, the representative proceeded to talk over me and tell me that I couldn't just ask for a receipt same-day. He told me I had to wait for the receipt for $2k in cash until the driver returned to the warehouse, from CA to NYC. I told him this was ridiculous, we'd clearly paid since the stuff was delivered, and we needed SOMETHING, anything, that had the moving company's name and the full price of the move paid. The guy just talked over me slowly and loudly, explaining how moving works. I became irritated that he would not listen to me, did not seem to understand what I was asking for, and refused to hear my request. I started yelling over him, hoping he'd shut up and listen. He started yelling at me, called me rude, and scolded me for my tone and literally said "watch your language." I told him I would not, he was not listening to me, and he needed to be quiet and let me speak. I asked if the driver could submit pictures of whatever receipt he had that he didn't give us that proved we paid $2k in cash. The guy yelled that it was official paperwork, it had to be PDFs. I offered the names of free apps that allow people to use their smartphones to make PDFs with their cameras. He shouted "you think we know about those?!" I asked to speak to his manager and he said "I AM THE MANAGER THATS WHY I'M TALKING TO YOU LIKE THIS." His behavior was disgustingly condescending and thoroughly unhelpful. I have never experienced a customer service representative so uninterested in helping customers, especially one that had already been badly treated. The "military precision" they promise is a lie. They get 1 star for getting from point A to point B, which is the very least they could actually do. There’s thousands of dollars of damage to our belongings, and even though I followed all packing guidelines and heavily cushioned valuable items, they were clearly mishandled or manhandled.

Adam W Marina del Rey, CA

If you're going to read any of these reviews for this company (most positive ones are obviously fake), let it be this one: IF YOU HIRE SAFEWAY, YOU ARE GAMBLING WITH YOUR LIFE'S BELONGINGS. I am a real customer (Move #5906691) and I want to make something very clear for anyone considering working with this "company". They are simply middle-men between you and actual movers. This means that when/if you hire them, this is what you're signing up for: 1. You will not know WHO will be moving your possessions until 24-48 hours before your move date when Safeway actually finds someone. Hell, you won't even know WHEN exactly they will show up to move your items and when exactly you can expect them back! 2. This means you will have no time or chance to set up insurance for your items, which is desperately needed since Safeway graciously only covers 60 cents per pound and ONLY on items you have not packed yourself - so if your flatscreen TV breaks, you'll be lucky to receive a whopping $10 of compensation. 3. This also means that you will have no idea of the reputation of the movers who will actually end up coming into your home, loading your belongings, and delivering them to you. TAKE HEED OF THE HORROR STORIES YOU WILL READ, they are very real possibilities when Safeway hires the lowest bidder for your move at the last minute. In my own experience, Safeway made me the following promises which were LIES and happily took my deposit and then ignored my calls as the move date came closer and I desperately needed answers: LIE: They have a partnership with Baker's International who would be happy to insure my items since their own insurance would cover pennies on the dollar. TRUTH: When I reached out to Baker's to set this up, they confirmed that they no longer had any relationship with Safeway. The only way I'd be able to set up insurance for my items was to scramble and do so through whatever company Safeway then decided to hire hours before my actual move date. LIE: They would provide me confirmation of the exact move date and movers they hired no later than 72 hours before my actual move. TRUTH: As mentioned above, starting around the 72 hour mark, my rep, Lisa, went radio-silent as I scrambled to figure out what to do for my cross-country move. LIE: I could update my inventory list at any time during the process, and the price would be adjusted accordingly, even up to the day of the move itself. TRUTH: When I finally got a hold of a rep through their 1-844 number and called to downsize my move since I could not insure my most treasured items, they made up a "minimum" cost threshold which would cost me the same amount as my original quote for a 1 bedroom apartment ($4,500), but with 1/3 of the items. NOWHERE IS THIS STATED IN THEIR BINDING ESTIMATE CONTRACT. NET-NET: You are rolling the dice working with this company and you do not know what you're going to get when it comes to your life's possessions. Worst of all, there is practically zero recourse if/when whatever random moving/logistic companies Safeway pawns your move off to damages or loses your property nor do they give you any time to even attempt to protect yourself.

Pratik King of Prussia, PA

On 2/12/2021 I signed a contract with Safeway Moving Systems LLC and paid 40% advance for my move scheduled for Florida to Pennsylvania. My stuff got picked up from Florida on 2/18/21. The first date of delivery  was 2/22. As of today, 4/12, 50 days later, I have not received my stuff (bed, mattress, cooking utensils, furniture, wardrobe items.......) and have no news of where it is. I have called the customer service regularly, emailed them regularly. The sales guys say talk to Dispatch Manager. The dispatch manager -Jeremy is either unavailable or on another call or sick. They say I will receive a call back but I never do. I have paid 82% of the total quote (40% upfront and 70% of the remaining amount on pick) so far. But, after 50 days of pickup, I still don't have my stuff or any idea of when it's going to be delivered. As I see it, this company took my items, took my money and delivered noting. I don't have any idea if all my house items are lost  or when they will get to me, I also have no assurance on reimbursement etc. As of today, the customer service today told me they have no update and I should receive a call back which, as usual, I didn't receive. Additionally, in these 50 days, they also made a wrong delivery of someone else's stuff to me which they had to then take back. Just imagine paying a handsome amount to move your stuff and then not having it for 50 days and no insight on when you will receive your stuff! I am hoping to see if there is any customer service representative or external organization who can help me escalate this to the right authorities so I can get my items back. Very disappointed and distressed by this event, basically uprooted my entire household.

Doug Ford Miami Beach, FL

THE WORST! DO NOT USE! TOTAL SCAM! Rude staff, broken glass, stolen items, hidden fees and drunk, unsafe movers! I have never had a worst experience with any business in my entire life, then I have with Safeway Moving System. From the moment I moved, through the delivery and well after it has been nothing but problems. They overcharge for a move and then hire the cheapest third party movers. Joe W. the customer service representative completely messed up the consultation and lied. He said it would be $3,575 which is extremely high for a one bedroom move. The movers showed up on the wrong day, they were rude, unprofessional and DRUNK. Yes, drunk! One of the movers reeked of alcohol and was stumbling everywhere. It was so bad, the lead mover had to yell at him. They were screaming and cursing in my apartment hallway to the point that my neighbor called the front desk to complain. No masks were happening either! In California this is illegal and unsafe given the pandemic. I made a comment, and they sighed and grunted and said they don't have any masks. I felt so unsafe I had to vacate the apartment. The one mover wiped his sweat with my bath towels and threw it on the ground. Then they said it would cost an extra $600 cash for a glass table they were never told about. I was never told there would be an extra fee. Very suspicious. They left the place trashed and ruined. So bad, the landlord billed me $600 for marks and damages on the floor and walls they made. Then they said it would deliver in 4-6 weeks and it came in 8 weeks. I called multiple times and they had no idea where the delivery was or how long it would take to deliver. When they finally arrived they told me the day of it would be $500 to shuttle the delivery. I was told specifically by Joe W. I wouldn't need to pay any additional fees especially a shuttle fee. I live in a new open neighborhood with no neighbors. Plenty of space for the truck to park. I was quoted at $3,575 and now had to pay well over $4,300 I did not budget for or agree to. After the delivery we noticed our large $1200 restoration hardware mirror was broken. Glass everywhere! It was conveniently placed in the back behind all other furniture with their $60 moving blanket left to cover it. They purposefully tried to hide it instead of admitting they broke it. Extremely unsafe! Then we realized our $7,000 restoration hardware couch was scratched, stained and damaged. A $1,200 brand new Samsung TV was cracked and destroyed, and ANOTHER $800 photography painting had broken glass everywhere. Who knows what else is missing and destroyed in the boxes. This isn't even including the $800 glass table I paid $500 for and had to leave behind. I called their customer service number MULTIPLE TIMES trying to speak with someone and always was transferred, ignored or told to call back. I then spoke to a manager who was the RUDEST and most UNPROFESSIONAL person I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. He was aggressive and confrontational on the phone. He said it's not their responsibility and all I can do is file a claim. I said this is ridiculous, half the property is destroyed, your movers exposed us to covid and injured us. There's broken glass everywhere. No apology was given, rather he hung up the phone and said "GOOD LUCK". They never even sent the claim. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SAFEWAY MOVING SYSTEM!

Sarah McCoy Virginia Beach, VA

Buyer beware, poor SF, CA > Virginia This company is the pits, I wish I’d done more research because they are not transparent but then act like their service is stellar. I should have known it would be bad when they assured me repeatedly that they’d give me 48 hours notice for the pickup, of which they give you a 3-day window, only to call me at 3:30 pm Saturday - literally the DAY BEFORE picking up my stuff. So they didn’t even give me 24-hour notice. Then, you’ll see that they rushed the pickup only to let my stuff sit in San Francisco for 4 weeks! They contract the people who actually come and pick up your stuff. Those guys were fine for the pickup in San Francisco. But I’m honestly terrified after reading these reviews of what it’s going to be like for my delivery. Which btw is another awful part of their customer service (or lack thereof). You talk to a person at Safeway who goes over your list of items and briefly covers the process. They ask you a question about when the earliest day is that you could receive your delivery. But they fail to explain that whatever date you give them is actually 21 days AFTER when they will be delivering your stuff. Ok so they picked my stuff up on 1/24 and I told them I’d be in my house by the 31st thinking there’s no rush and since I’m moving across the country, I’ll give it cushion. Wrong, that only has delayed the delivery even more! So here we are and now it’s February 19th. I call to find out when my stuff will be here and it’s been FOUR WEEKS since they picked it up. My stuff hasn’t even left San Francisco! I’ve been in Virginia for 4 weeks without my belongings. Their customer service agent told me today that they have until 21 days from the time you say your earliest available time to receive your delivery is to even SCHEDULE THE DELIVERY! Can you believe this pile of turd BS? So on Monday I’m supposed to find out when I’ll get my stuff I guess? I don’t trust a word that comes out if these people’s mouths. And if they EVEN try to pull some stuff with me about living on a country road and needing to change trucks I will lose my mind on them. I will update my review following the delivery. At this point I’m not sure how my opinion could be changed and what’s even worse is I recommended them to my manager who is also moving across the country and had issues with their quote being off by a large amount. Mine also ended up being about $2k over the initial quote. Lesson learned: sell your stuff, just get rid of it - you’ll be hating everything you own and thought you couldn’t live without if your move goes like this one and if you only need keepsakes and heirlooms I still say find something solid - doubt it’s this company. Finally, pretty sure all of the 5 star reviews are fake and oddly all moves to and from NJ... or “military family” - I call BS.

Sweta Sharma Austin, TX

BIG WARNING!!! Don't get fooled by SafeWay Moving Systems. Our experience with them has been a nightmare. They repeatedly change their words, they haven't delivered our belongings and it's already been a month even though they promised 14 days. We had to spend thousand of dollars in hotel in the middle of Covid when expecting a child because of how terrible SafeWay Moving System and their service is. I highly recommend people DON'T USE THEIR SERVICE.

Tyler Beaverton, OR

Safeway Moving Systems LLC (Chicago based) Chris - point of contact, completely ghosted us after signing the contract Prime Relocation Services (Sacramento based) Movers - Dani + Frankie (could have also been contracted out) Dispatch - someone horrible don’t know her name, hung up on me day of delivery Safeway will sweet talk you and provide you a contract that seems fairly straight forward. You should not trust this as the actual cost. You will be forced to sign separate contracts. The company that Safeway decides to contract your move out to, will not honor the Safeway contract and this will be used to get additional fees out of you. We weren’t aware of a second forced contract, and I say forced because we were in a position that we had no other option. They showed up the day of the move, claimed our cubic feet was 200 feet more than the estimate. Now I understand estimates, but to be off by 200 feet is not even a close estimate in my opinion, and this was after I’d described our inventory three times to two separate people. It was the day of the move, we only had two days left on our current lease, we had no choice but to sign as there was no time to find another option and we’d already paid a hefty deposit. Another couple of examples of the fee gouging, Safeway’s contract says a flight of stairs is 12 steps, Prime Relocation Services says 7, but this was not mentioned until drop off, so we were hit with another $300 additional for stairs at delivery. We were also nickel and dimed for packing materials, $67 for cling wrap and tape, which were supposedly included according to Safeway. The truck that arrives for your things, will not be the same truck that drops them off, so your things will be moved several times. We were charged an additional fee of $350 for this changing of trucks even though we weren’t aware until after our things were already on a smaller moving truck. This, naturally, increases the chance of damage and/or lost items. Several of our furniture pieces were dented, scratched and/or broken and many of the boxes arrived torn or shredded. But you won’t be able to do anything about this either, because the people who loaded our things marked nearly every single item on our inventory as “scratched.” How convenient for them now that all of our things arrived gouged, scratched, and dented. The driver who delivered our items claims they don’t work for Safeway or Prime Relocation at all and repeatedly asked to be paid in cash stating that otherwise, “we will ask for our money over and over if you don’t pay in cash they will not give us our money.” When I called dispatch to inquire about this, I was told to “have a nice day,” and hung up on. Scams for everyone involved it seems. When I asked what company this driver works for, he said his own LLC, but refused more than once to give me the name of his company because he didn’t want to be blamed for Prime Relocation Services. In the beginning, we were looking at a $3K move, by the time we were all swindled and ghosted, we paid over $5K.

Melissa D Nashville, TN

We chose this company particularly because they seemed to be more serious and professional than the others, even though they were a lot more expensive. They convinced us by telling us that with them, there are no “hidden cost”, what you pay upfront is what it is. We were extremely disappointed by their service. The communication was bad, they did not follow up with us to inform us of when our moving would be delivered. We finally got our things 14 days later, but we had a really bad experience: they asked us to pay an extra amount of money, in cash (they would not accept anything else!), on a Sunday, and when we argued that we were not aware and did not agree with such an increase in rate (about $1000), they basically told us it’s either you pay or we keep your stuff. The customer service was absolutely terrible. A salesman told us over the phone in a condescending ton that we were aware of the extra charge and that it’s either we pay or we don’t get our things! They also mentioned that we were informed over over the phone that an additional charge may apply if the truck was too big for our street and a transfer needed to be done to a smaller truck. I asked them to send us the recording, since we absolutely did not remember getting this info over the phone. They never sent the recording. The truck they left with from NYC and the truck they arrived in in Nashville were completely different, so we did not anticipate that the truck was too big for our street. The worst part is that there was a huge parking lot on our street where they could have parked to avoid us paying a fee and then moving everything from a truck to another, and they refused to use it. They told us they were not allowed. How convenient! Finally, a few items were missing from the truck, and it took us almost 1 month to get compensation of $50! We fell trapped, robbed and that it was a complete rip off. Overall, moving a 600 sq ft studio apartment from NYC to Nashville cost us over $4,000! Don’t trust this company, they will rob you!

Samantha Walsh Charlotte, NC

This company is Criminal! Absolute worst experience of my life and they STILL haven't delivered my things after taking possession of them on 10/26/20. I moved from Seattle, WA to Charlotte, NC and did a lot of research on a reputable moving company before making such a long distance relocation. The sales rep that handled my case and sold me on their company completely lied blew a bunch of smoke with false advertising and promises, and did not act with integrity. Not only does the company still have possession of all my things, they haven't even left Seattle after 2 MONTHS. They have insulted me, refuse to refund me any money or release my things so I can find someone else to deliver them over to Charlotte. This company refuses to return any of my calls weeks on end and even has gone to the extent to block my calls. It has been the most stressful and horribly miserable experience I could ever imagine going through on top of living for 2 months across the country without ANY of my things. Lawyers have had to get involved now as well a the Federal Dept. of Transportation. They are under investigation at this point and I pray that no one else ever has to experience what I have with this company. DO NOT USE Safeway Moving Systems LLC.

Elliot Great Falls, VA

The company made an estimate on our move. We believe they intentionally misrepresented our inventory and underestimated the number of boxes so they could have a lower price than competing movers. They told us they believed the estimate was accurate and said it was binding not to exceed the price and told us we "wouldn’t pay a penny more unless [we] went out and bought five grand pianos.” We did not purchase or add any new items. A week before the move they said the estimate was done badly -- he said that things were entered wrong and they needed to add hundreds more boxes and would raise the price by more than $10,000. They said that would include full value replacement, but then sent a new contract without full value replacement. They then said they wouldn't do full value replacement unless we paid yet another $7,000. They attempted to blame us saying we should have known we would have needed more boxes despite their estimator saying that was the number of boxes we need. How were we supposed to know how many boxes we would need? We believe they were intentionally attempting to defraud us. They told us they are going to unilaterally cancel our move and keep our deposit.

Dana Elizabeth Wolf Hayward, CA

We had a terrible experience with Safeway moving systems. We scheduled our move a month in advance and had a guaranteed pickup date - which (a week before the move date) they changed to a 3 day window. And then the dispatcher called and said they couldn't hit the 3 day window. We canceled our order, because they couldn't meet, not only their window, but we were not sure based on poor customer service, that they would even meet the next day. We asked for our deposit back, which they are denying, so now have to involve a lawyer. I am appalled that this company doesn't understand what good customer service is, much less, knows how to make up for it - by reimbursing us. I would absolutely never do business with them again and would suggest to their management that they clarify with customers that "guaranteed" doesn't necessarily mean that. I very rarely write reviews, but this is worth any type-A person knowing...they don't hold up to their brand promise: "Stress free, military precision relocation."

Chrissy Dott Bothell, WA

The people who moved my mothers belonging broke into her cedar chest and stole family heirlooms. For a company that boasts about being for veterans... the thieves stole my late grandfathers war medals, and my late grandmothers jewelry. Precious items that were gifted to her- like the ring they gave her for her 16th birthday. I’ve been run around trying to find information. I’ll find every platform their is and broadcast this theft. That was all she had left of them. Shame on this company.

Daniel Wolf Denver, CO

Terrible, I wish I could give them zero stars - we set up a guaranteed move date a month before the move. That was removed - and a 3 day window was put in place. They missed that too - so we ended up having to set up a second moving company at the very last minute. Totally unprofessional, they blamed everyone and everything else along the way. No ownership / no apology / no attempt to make it right. Take your business elsewhere...

Erika L ,

Horrible! I do not have 1 good thing to say about them. Scams, lies, delay after delay, missing item and then they ghost you!