Apple Pay Logo

8.0

Apple Pay is compatible with Apple devices, providing a contactless option for making in-store purchases, as well as making it easy to send and receive money from friends and family directly in messages. Apple Pay is a safe and secure way to make payments.

Note, use of Apple Pay is exclusive to those with iOS devices.

Keep reading for a full review of this company, as well as Apple Pay reviews from real customers.

Venmo Logo
#1 Venmo chevron_right
Paypal Logo
#3 Paypal chevron_right
Chase QuickPay Logo
#4 Chase QuickPay chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Compatible with Major Banks and Credit Card Issuers
  • Easy set-up
  • Simple NFC-Payment System
  • Reliable Security
  • Apple Credit Card Option
  • Apple Wallet
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Compatible with Major Banks and Credit Card Issuers

Apple Pay is available to use with almost all major banks and credit card institutions, roughly totaling over 2,500 in the US, United Kingdom, Australia and Canada, with more being added regularly. Credit card companies which support adding their cards into the Apple Pay app include: Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. Users are able to easily integrate their bank information through a simple verification processes. Some banks, of which Capital One is an example have created apps of their own to better accompany and serve Apple Pay users.

Easy Set-Up

Users can easily add credit cards to their digital wallet by taking a picture of their card from the app, verifying information which is auto-populated for accuracy and approving the card's addition to one's Apple Pay wallet. Information is stored on Apple servers, equipped with servers with redundant security measures. Additionally, financial information is not shared during any transaction, with a unique token generated by the app for each card, which improves the security of the app. All cards are consolidated into PassBook with the user's coupons, etc.

Simple NFC-Payment System

Apple Pay relies on near-field communication (NFC) technology to support contactless payments. This innovative technology allows you to exchange payment data between readers and devices that support Apple Pay. Wearable Apple products, such as the Apple Watch also feature NFC, allowing you to easily make purchases with your watch if you don't want to pull out your phone. If your Apple Watch is stolen, you don't have to worry about thieves stealing your information because the watch forces users to enter a password when it senses that it's no longer touching skin.

Reliable Security

The contactless NFC technology makes users' point-of-sale experience quick and painless. Different mobile wallet point of sale technologies have many debated pros and cons.

When a compatible device is active (turned on) and detects the NFC at check-out, users are asked to provide their Touch ID (fingerprint) or passcode. The Secure Element on the device provides the payment system with a specific Device Account Number and a transaction-specific dynamic security code. Once the appropriate financial institution approves the payment (which happens in most cases within a few seconds) the payment is completed at the terminal. This process of encryption is in many ways more secure than using physical credit cards.

Apple Credit Card Option

Apple has a credit card products that lives on the iPhone; although you can also use a physical card. The card has no fees and features tools to help you pay less interest. In addition, the card offers generous rewards with unlimited 2 percent daily cash back whenever your iPhone or Apple Watch with Apple Card to make a payment; you can access greater cash back rewards when shopping with Apple and select merchants, such as, Uber and Walgreens.

Apple Wallet

You can store Apple Cash, credit cards, debit cards, as well as boarding passes, and tickets in Apple Wallet. In addition, specific apps take advantage of Apple Wallet, allowing you to quickly and easily make payments without having to pull out your physical card(s).

Positive Customer Reviews

The majority of Apple Pay reviews are 5-star. Satisfied customers frequently highlight the following:

• Convenience — sending and receiving money from friends and family, and making contactless payments
  • Ability to easily make payments with Apple Watch
  • Secure payments
  • Apple Card cash back rewards
Review Icon

Customer Review: Tanner Hales from Pleasant Grove, Utah

"I absolutely love Apple Pay. I cannot tell you how many times that it has saved my bacon when I am in the store and realize that I have forgotten my wallet. I simply pull out my iPhone and pick which card I want, then boom. DONE. I have never had issues with the security of it either. I can keep close tabs on who uses it with notifications when money has been spent using my Apple Pay account."

Negative reviews are limited, but some customers have noted experiences in which it appeared that a payment didn't go through so they tried again, resulting in a double charge.

The Bad

• Not Accepted at all Retail Locations
  • Proprietary to iOS devices
  • Limited use outside of U.S.

Not Accepted at all Retail Locations

Although the list of merchants that accept Apple Pay is extensive and growing, there are some retailers that may not accept it for payment. However, in most cases if the retailer's payment terminal accepts tap, you should be able to use Apple Pay to complete a transaction.

Proprietary to iOS Devices

As one could expect with a product designed by one of the major devices and operating systems, this app is not available or compatible with a device which is not made by Apple. Additionally, the operating system which is required for the app to function is iOS 8.1 or higher, so users with older devices will not be able to use Apple Pay at all. Estimates suggest that Apple devices make up less than 40 percent of the mobile market in the United States, so the majority of mobile phone users are left out of being able to use this service.

Limited use outside of U.S.

For those who travel internationally, Apple Pay is only offered in the United States, Canada, The United Kingdom and Australia.

The Bottom Line

If you are a current Apple product user, particularly if you have an iPhone or Apple Watch, Apple Pay is an excellent option for your mobile wallet and mobile payment needs. If you have multiple Apple products, you can easily connect them so that you can quickly and easily make payments. If your friends and family also have iPhones, you can conveniently send and receive money through messages.

Overall, Apple Pay provides increased convenience and security to contactless payments. You can store your credit cards and debit cards in the Apple Wallet.

In addition, Apple offers the Apple card, a credit card with generous cash back rewards that lives on your iPhone.

Based on customer reviews, the majority of which are positive, we would recommend this product.

View Best Mobile Wallet Companies

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Apple Pay always comes in hand whenever I don't have my debit card on me, but I always have my phone in hand. It conveniently works with the tap of my lock button and as I input my passcode - again, super convenient. I like how you're able to easily send money to others using Apple Pay too.

Jason Spokane, WA

It makes life so much easier. I love the ability to pay without even taking my wallet out it's so much cleaner and simpler. I just wish it were available in more stores and vendors.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I believe Apple Pay is a very convenient mobile wallet for IPhone users. It is easy to input card information and use the mobile wallet at different stores. I like that there are extra security measures to ensure no one else has access to your mobile wallet.

Dave Spokane, WA

I love Apple Pay. I use it with apps on my phone and I use it with my Apple Watch wherever you can use a "tap" credit card. So convenient. I only wish more locations were compatible and more apps were connected to Apple Pay so I didn't ever have to enter my credit card information manually.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

Most secure form of payment that I have. I love my Apple card and how much money I am earning!! I have $256 in my wallet right now from simple day to day purchased. Easy to understand payments and they remind you when it is due so you don't pay the crazy interest.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

I used Apple Pay when I went on a family trip to Europe a couple summers ago. It was so convenient to not have to carry around cash in their currency. I could always use Apple Pay and it would automatically convert into their currency and easily pay the amount needed.

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

Apple pay has been a great asset for me. I love not having to take out any cards when I am shopping. It has made my purchasing experience much more seamless!

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

Apple play is the best. I almost never bring my wallet with me anymore, so I love being able to pay just using my phone. I wish more places used it though

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

Apple Pay was literally the most convenient thing ever when I went to visit Europe and I did not have the same currency as everyone else there. Having apple pay saved me so much money conversion struggles on my travels.

Brianna S Tallahassee, FL

Apple Pay is so convenient for not only myself, but also my family members. Not everyone has cashapp or zelle but thankfully we all have IPhones and are able to send money to each other that way. Also it says that it take 2-3 business days for your money to go into your account, however, there have been plenty times where it has transferred before that given time!

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

I’m trying to get into the habit of using Apple Pay more. It’s certainly great at saving you if you get caught without your wallet, but what a lot of people don’t know is that it’s not only easier and more convenient than pulling out your credit card but that it still works with your loaded credit cards rewards systems like miles/points/cash back. It’s true - just look it up online for reputable articles that say the same.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love Apple Pay because it's handy and I always have my phone with me so it's nice to know I can always have my digital wallet with me.

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

Super useful. It was great to have during the pandemic when it was a good thing to avoid touching too many things in businesses.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love using Apple Pay to make payments from my phone. It’s super easy and convenient to use and I trust it to protect my card information

Jessica Chen Elmira, NY

Secure, used it to send money to my sister. There was a promotion where you could get 20 dollars for free by making transactions. Transactions are fast and easy to use. I will use Apple Pay in the future when possible.

Zach Newman American Fork, UT

I love Apple Pay. It is so convenient and easy to use. I have it on both my watch and my phone. The watch feature is nice when I'm out on a run or something and don't have my phone. Several times I've stopped at a gas station mid run to get a drink or quick energy boost, apple pay was there to save the day.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

When I am buying something online, I love having Apple Pay pop up as an option. It makes it so much easier to not have to go hunt down my wallet to pull out my card. I’m happy I don’t have to pay fees to have this service on my phone.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Our grandson taught my husband and I how to use it and its great. I never remember all of my cards when getting around. We like to keep our debit cards on here so that we don't risk losing it and giving access to our banks. Also the wallet feature is handy to see memberships.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

I use Apple Pay when available at retailer as my form of contactless payment. It is also used by Apple when I need to pay for something in the Apple Store. It is simple to use as I connect any current credit card to Apple Pay and can switch between them in the phones wallet. I general only use my favorite rewards card. There are no additional fees for using Apple Pay to the consumer. Apple Pay is a free service on any Apple device.

Anya Lee Jacksonville, FL

Apple Pay is such a convenient and quick way to make purchases and send and receive money to others.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Apply Pay makes it so easy to make payments without cash or a physical card. Super easy to use and trusted security!

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

So easy to use. It’s accepted at most locations and I use it often when shopping online. I trust that my cards are secure with Apple.

Chris Milke Olney, MD

Newer user of the wallet service, but love the handsfree functionality (especially during the pandemic). Easily linking to an existing credit card makes it easier than digging into your wallet all the time.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Apple pay makes it so easy to pay right from your phone or even apple watch. Seriously it is so clear and easy to use. I love the convenience of having it right from your phone.

Aaliya Ghadafii Tallahassee, FL

Apple Pay is very convenient since it’s connected to my phone. Whenever I may forget my wallet at home, I can pull up my card on my phone and pay for whatever I need with a breeze.!

Nazjah Yates Jacksonville, FL

Apple Pay is the most efficient way to pay for items both online and in person. Plus it makes contactless shopping so much easier with just a clip of a button on your smartphone.

Jada Urquhart Orlando, FL

Apple Pay is extremely user friendly and convient. Being that we are in a pandemic, it makes checking out at stores very easy. Extremely useful if you forget your wallet at home.

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

I love Apple Pay! It's faster to double-click my watch or phone and pay. The processing time is faster than a card and paying contactless is great. My only issue is that not all vendors accept it, so I always have to ask.

Freddy V Layton, UT

I love Apple Pay! I remember the first time I used Apple Pay in front of my friends they were pretty amazed. Apple Pay always runs smooth and I never have a problem anywhere I go

peanutbutter424 Manhattan Beach, CA

I recommend Apple Pay. If you ever forget your wallet like I do, It's nice to know you're not stuck. Also, it works well during the pandemic because it is "contactless". Just hover your phone over the card reader. I highly recommend.

Mary Alice M. Orem, UT

I have started using my Apple Pay a lot and I love it. I'm always misplacing my cards, and so it is nice to have it on my phone where I don't have to worry about bringing my wallet with me. Some places don't have apple pay which makes it frustrating, but I really like the service they provide.

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

If you are going to have an Apple phone you may as well take advantage of this great feature. It works great keeping your credit cards and other "cards" available. I like the feature of putting airplane boarding passes, insurance cards, and other types of documents.

brindle's corner ,

Very easy to make quick transactions. I like that if you are sending the money to someone it can show up in a text message so it doesn’t have to be in a whole other app. Usually most restaurants or store have apple pay and it’s very easy to use there.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

Truly the greatest invention of all time. There have been a few times when I am running errands that I forget my wallet at home. I can still finish my shopping because I know I can pay with Apple Pay! It is a convenient way to get what you need, fast. Especially during a pandemic when you don't want to touch public devices.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

Apple Pay is very convenient for me. One time I forgot my wallet, and I had to pay for something, and luckily I was able to use Apple Pay. It was amazingly quick and easy. A lot of stores and vending machines are accepting Apple Pay now. It's safe and super easy to use.

Grant Conrady Fayetteville, AR

I use Apple Pay every chance I get. I love being able to pay for items with my iPhone and Apple Watch and it is extremely convenient in a pinch! Apple Pay is easy to use and I never feel like my information is at risk of being leaked.

Tara Bindrup Smithfield, UT

I love the convenience and safety with the use of Apple Pay app. I use it all the time and love how I don’t have to have my wallet or purse with me and I don’t have to really touch anything at check out except my own phone! So convenient!

Wilinda Sylvestre Chapel Hill, NC

Apple Pay allows me to pay or send money quickly with no hassle. The best mobile wallet!

karis buggs

I never have to bring my wallet anywhere anymore. I literally have everything all in one place. Also many stores use Apple Pay so I do not need to worry.

Landon Badoni Montgomery, TX

Very intuitive! Apple Pay just works. If you're an Apple user then you'll understand the convenience of the Apple "ecosystem" and Apple Pay just fits seamlessly into that system. When paired with the Apple Card its a breeze!

Ben Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I use Apple Pay with almost all my purchases at stores/restaurants. I love how accessible it is to pull out your phone and scan your digital wallet for payments! Super easy to use!

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

In a world where diseases the size of a nanometer may be lurking at check-out, apple pay and it's touchless features have been indispensable. Thank you, Steve Jobs, even in death you fight invisible enemies.

Sarah Fayetteville, AR

Apple Pay is seriously the best thing I have on my phone / apple watch. It makes paying at restaurant's, grocery stores, etc. super convenient, and I don't even have to get my card out of my wallet!

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

I love the convenience of apple pay, I especially love that I can send requests for money and also make a payment to someone through text messaging using apple pay now nobody ever owes me money.

Elyse Chinnock ,

Apple Pay makes my life so much easier! I do not even have to carry around a wallet anymore. Apple Pay allows me to make purchases by scanning my iPhone or AppleWatch. So great!

Leisha Logan, UT

It’s so convenient to pay right from your phone!! Even more convenient if you’re getting paid, it goes right into your banking account. We all love that kind of convenience!!

Ellie Johnson Salt Lake City, UT

The thing I love about Apple Pay is how it’s on my phone. Sometimes I go in places and forget my card but I always have my phone. It’s so easy to use and set up. 100% will never go back

Mia Alshami Fayetteville, AR

Apple Pay makes it extremely easy for me to get highly-sought items extremely fast! I follow a popular artist, and I have been able to purchase her paintings quickly because of how fast Apple Pay is!

perscilla Tallahassee, FL

Apple Pay is one of my favorites way to pay for things. Since I can pay from phone and I send and receive money through the I messages. I do dislike how there is a fee is when I want to take out money the same day

Emily Crawfordville, FL

It is so easy to use! You set it up on your wallet and just put your phone to the reader. I love having Apple Pay because I usually already have my phone in my hand so I don't have to dig through my purse to pay things anymore.