Serta Logo

6.9

LAST UPDATED: March 8th, 2022

Serta was founded in 1931 as Sleeper, Inc and is the largest mattress brand in the United States. It is controlled by Serta Simmons Holdings LLC, which announced a merger with online retailer Tuft & Needle in 2018.

Serta has several different mattress brands to choose from, with each highlighting different features. The company offers gel memory foam options, as well as innerspring coils and hybrid spring/foam mattress options for shoppers to choose from.

Continue reading to see some pros and cons, as well as Serta mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Mattress Options
  • Warranty
  • Direct-Purchase Benefits

Mattress Options

Serta mattresses come in a wide variety of price ranges, so most shoppers will be able to find a good mattress that fits their needs and their budget. Sleeping on a comfortable mattress is not a one-size-fits-all science, but Serta understands this and offers a wide variety of options to choose from.

Perfect Sleeper Mattress: $349–$1,399 (Queen)

The Serta Perfect Sleeper is the official mattress of the National Sleep Foundation. It is available in innerspring, memory foam, and hybrid options. The line has been around for decades, but Serta recently partnered with the Foundation to target the 5 biggest mattress complaints: tossing and turning, lack of support, sleeping temperature regulation, partner disturbance, and mattress roll-off due to poor edge support and sagging. Some Perfect Sleeper models even work with an adjustable foundation.

iComfort Mattress: $1,099–$2,799 (Queen)

The Serta iComfort line is the company's most advanced sleep system and it offers models in foam and hybrid. It aims to use contouring memory foam to help with pressure relief. This isn't just an ordinary memory foam mattress. The foam used is called TempActiv and helps with heat retention to help you sleep cool. There are seven models of varying comfort layer firmness to choose from.

Mattress-in-a-Box: $599–$999 (Queen)

Like most mattress brands and retailers, Serta also sells a mattress in a box, however, its name varies depending on where you purchase it but may be called Perfect Sleeper Express or Serta SleepToGo. This memory foam mattress line offers depths between 9 and 14 inches to choose from.

Sertapedic: $249–$649 (Queen)

The Sertapedic mattress line is the company's budget option, with prices for a queen ranging between $249 and 649. Despite the low price range, this is really a "value" option with a variety of mattress features to choose from. You can choose between memory foam and innerspring mattress types. The memory foam features several layers of support foam, including a gel-infused memory foam, called Twist Gel, and the innerspring is a traditional mattress with steel coils. As well, you can find a good night's sleep with your preferred custom support feel, as comfort options range between soft and extra firm.

Hotel Mattresses: $775–$1,100 (Queen)

Serta is the top supplier of hotel mattresses in the country, and now, you can purchase this same luxury to sleep on at home. This is an innerspring line with plush Euro pillow top mattress options, as well as a double-sided mattress.

In all, Serta sells more than 50 queen size models ranging in price from $249–$2,799.

You can buy one directly from Serta, or through various third-party retailers. Serta also sells accessories, like pillows, bedding, sheets, and mattress protectors. They also make crib and toddler mattresses, as well as pet beds.

Warranty

Most Serta mattresses are covered by a 10-year warranty. However, remember that you need to take good care of your mattress and it needs to be free of stains, etc. Serta encourages shoppers to get a mattress protector.

Direct-Purchase Benefits

With Serta, you can purchase directly from the website, or you can find Serta products at hundreds of other retailers. When you buy from Serta, you benefit from financing offers, an in-home trial, and a great delivery policy.

Special Financing

Serta offers financing through Affirm. Affirm allows you to make monthly payments over 3, 6, or 12 months. Interest charges are communicated upfront and there are no hidden fees. Keep in mind that rates are between 0 and 30 percent APR, and a down payment may be required.

In-Home Trial

When you purchase directly through Serta, either by phone or online, you benefit from an in-home trial period. The Serta iComfort comes with a 120-day in-home trial and other mattresses come with a 45-day comfort assurance in-home trial.

There are a few things that you should know about the program. You must sleep on the mattress for at least 30 nights before contacting Serta about a return or exchange.

This 30-day rule is pretty standard with most mattress retailers. This is considered to be a break-in period for your body to adjust to a new mattress and your new mattress to adjust to your body. Sleeping on a new mattress can be quite a change, especially if you had previously waited too long and were sleeping on an old lumpy mattress.

There is a 15 percent return and disposal fee, plus $200 for shipping and handling, to be deducted from your refund. Please note that adjustable foundation sales are final, and there is a limit of one trial per customer

Delivery

Free white glove delivery and setup are offered for all purchases when you order online directly from Serta. However, it can take about 10–21 business days because your mattress is made especially for you when they receive your order.

The Bad

Cancellation and Return Fees

Serta allows you 48 hours to cancel your mattress order. If you cancel after the 48 hours, you may be charged a 15 percent cancellation fee.

Additionally, Serta accessories (bed frames, sheets, pillows, mattress protectors and pet beds) do not have a cancellation grace period. All orders are processed immediately. You can return an item, but you are responsible for the cost of shipping and the 15 percent restocking fee.

The Bottom Line

Serta is one of the biggest classic brands in the mattress world. They have been around for more than 80 years and offer a variety of mattress features for almost any price point.

There are a variety of ways that you can buy a Serta, from local retail stores to online marketplaces like Amazon and Wayfair, to a direct purchase from the company via the serta.com website. If you purchase from Serta, you will benefit from an in-home trial, an industry-standard financing option, and free in-home delivery. If you purchase your Serta from a third-party store or website, you will be subject to that company’s policies when it comes to a trial, financing, or delivery.

View Best Mattress Companies

JJ Jenkins Washington, DC

Serta mattresses have been around for along time but they are keeping up with the new trends of springless mattresses with super comfy tops. Gone are the pillow tops and now they have built in memory foam toss that lusciously caress your entire body when you sleep. It’s definitely not your grandmother’s mattress. The new modern Serta mattresses will be so comfortable that you never want to get out of bed in the morning, but you will be well rested from a full night of food sleep. I just slept on one and I’m so happy with our choice to own a Serta mattress. I love the support snd comfort and I don’t get sweaty all night when I sleep on it.

Luke Swierczynski Franklin, MI

Serta was the 1st place choice when we were shopping for a bed. They had comfortable beds, but at the time the bed we wanted was on back order so we went with a different one since we needed a bed asap due to our mattress dying. Unfortunately due to the time constraint on needing a new bed we did not go forward with Serta and got our second choice.

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

Serta sells great mattresses. They have a wide price so anyone looking for a mattress can find one in their price range. I have recommended Serta mattresses to my friends and they all talk about how comfortable they are.

J. Garrett Lansing, MI

Of course I love that Serta is a well-known and dependable brand. My Serta mattress was a queen-size pillow top and it was very comfortable at first but after a couple months I decided it was actually too soft for me. That was probably my own poor choice at the time. The Serta mattress was very sturdy and I had it for a couple years before giving it to my son. He still has it! You can definitely trust the Serta name!

Rivers02 Macomb, MI

The mattresses in my kids’ rooms are made by Serta. I have often dozed off during bedtime stories and woken up the next day so I must say they are very comfortable. They are durable too because my kids have used them to build forts and even as trampolines on the floor when they were younger so they are made of quality materials.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

A good night's sleep is very important to us. We only buy Serta mattresses for our family. We recently purchased two Serta Sleep True Hybrid mattresses for our children for college and as usual we were very pleased with the product. My husband and I are on our 3rd set of Serta mattresses. Once you find a good brand, you stick with it.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I slept on a Serta mattress for over 30 years. I think this is the comfortable mattress I have ever slept on . We traded out the mattress for another because my wife thought it was getting too old. really like the mattress and box springs combination offered by Serta. It is such a soft mattress and the overall thickness is less than other mattresses which makes it that much easier to climb into bed. One of the things I really loved about the mattress it how it seemed to retard heat but would capture the coolness of the room no matter what type of sheets or mattress cover was on the bed. Since I love sleeping in a slightly cooler bed this was such a joy to sleep in. There are a lot of mattress makers out there but for me this is my favorite.

Gaju Shrestha Herriman, UT

I've been using this mattress for a couple of years. The bed is extremely comfortable and has the perfect amount of plush! Sleep is so much better and not tossing all throughout the night - I'm happy with this purchase.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

Serta is a solid mattress across all of their models. I manage hotels for a living and was responsible for much of the ordering. As such, many of my properties are using Serta. Fairly priced and hold up very well not to mention comfortable which is the most important concern.

Brittany Clark Meridian, ID

Serta makes some good pillows but I wasn't overly impressed with my mattress. I think I would rather spend the money on an expensive mattress. After only a year, we got the hump in the middle even though the sales person guaranteed that wouldn't happen for 5 years. The mattress itself is comfortable but not worth the money considering it's faults. And it's the type you don't need a box spring so there's no way to flip the mattress and use the other side. I like the depth of it. It's a very thick mattress. But the hump is the killer.

Flower Virginia Beach, VA

My current bed is a Serta. I have had it for 3 years and still feels brand new and nice and firm. It is good quality and just a bit on the high side but a good investment for the long run.

A 1 Mesquite, TX

Great mattress!! I would but it again. It does what it says it does. I have to say Serta is the mattress I’ve kept longer than any other mattress. I got rid of it for an upgrade to a Beautyrest which was a waste of money.

Nishita McLean, VA

The biggest drawback is that they do not have customizable sizes, and only offer spring base options. We had a bedframe and Serta mattresses available were either a size too small or too big, there was no in between. The representatives at a couple of Serta stores we visited, weren't able to help us either. A little disappointed.

altavise davis Tallahassee, FL

My last mattress was Serta. It is honestly comfortable and supportive for the body . I highly recommend especially if you want a good nights rest. I have never had an issue with my mattress and it lasted for years. I am grateful because any uncomfortable sleep causes me to wake up in pain, but I never had that issue with Serta. I recommend truly!

Jeff Dallas, TX

My wife and I actually ordered our mattress built directly from "Serta Direct Sales". That process was excellent. We knew our mattress had not been sitting in warehouses for months on end, the price was excellent and they delivered it to us. We had stayed at a high end hotel and LOVED the mattress so we looked to see what it was and took a picture of the tag. The one we received was the same as the hotel. It is a double pillow top so you can flip it. It has tags sewn into it showing you what month you need to spin it head to toe and what months to flip it over to even the wear. However, even following the instructions a ridge formed after only a couple of months of use. The pillow top padding formed a ridge between my wife and I. Not a small one either, lol! We roll around on it trying to flatten it out but gave up. That area feels awesome because it is still how it was new. It is still a very comfortable mattress and the rest of the quality has been excellent. We have had it for 1 year 8 months now. I would buy it again.

DealStar South Jordan, UT

My first "grown up" mattress purchase was for a Serta Perfect Sleeper. It had a 15-year warranty, and I kept it for twenty years. It was the best sleep I ever had. Very recently, I replaced a mattress with a Serta, and it's just not the same. It has 825 springs, yet it is way too saggy for my taste. I prefer a firm mattress that I can enhance with layers on top. But this most recent purchase in December leaves me wishing I had kept my old mattress. I cannot return the new one because I paid to have the old one hauled off when they delivered this one. I'm not giving up on Serta, but I will never again buy a mattress online, unless I have tried it on in a show room.

A. Taylor Panama City, FL

I have been a fan of Serta mattresses for decades. In fact, my first Serta mattress lasted over 20 years and in that time endured several moves, all over the country. No issues were ever noted. In those days a good mattress had a 20 year warranty! Wow. Was it ever worth it. Super quality, price AND performance. I finally replaced it after 22 years. Since then I have bought Sertas repeatedly and have never been disappointed.

Lulu Baytown, TX

My mattress is the best thing that has happened to my sleeping. I have back problems and since I bought my Serta I sleep so much better and with no pain!

Morgan Tennant Shelley, ID

Serta's beds are becoming more complex with time, which is great! They are adapting to the needs of modern sleepers. They are comfortable, and I always look forward to staying with my family who uses Serta mattresses!

Nicole Williams West Jordan, UT

We bought a Serta Hybrid mattress from RC Willey and it has been a comfortable mattress. We have purchased other smaller Serta mattresses in the past, and they have been good as well.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

We have a adjustable bed and mattress from Serta. Overall I have been happy with the quality of the mattress and the adjustable bed. Wish it was easier to find headboards to work with the adjustable bed set.

John Bell Danville, KY

Serta mattresses hold up over the years. We have had two mattress sets from Serta and both lasted for 10+ years for each of children as they grew up.

Alexandria Lekberg Chesterfield, VA

We have a twin size Serra mattress and it is great for the price for kids or guests. It doesn’t compare to our Tempurpedic but this is very affordable!

tommy melvin Richmond, VA

We have had our Serta mattress for quite a while now. We will likely upgrade soon, but not out of necessity. It is a great mattress and has lasted us a long time.

Heidi Grosowky Cleveland, OH

I have had my Serta mattress for 5 years and it has held up well. It is still firm and has not developed any dips. Any spills wipe off completely. I am very happy with it.

JaylenOlivia Savannah, GA

I ordered the memory foam mattress and it was just alright. I expected more for the amount that I paid, but it was still a decent mattress. Next time I would not get a foam mattress from them because it was just not that comfortable to lay on because I felt like I would sink in too far.

Kaleb Herbert Gilbert, AZ

I have gone through 8 different beds. I am guilty of buying the free delivery unwrap bed, the high-end expensive bed and at the end of the day, my Serta Bed is the one that has given my wife and I the best sleep. My back has stopped hurting and I have been able to sleep deeper and longer, no tossing and turning

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

When we were searching for a mattress for our guest room we asked around and found that Serta was a well liked brand. We tested it out in the store and it was really comfortable. So far it has been a great mattress. The company was helpful and informative on the mattress itself and could tell us exactly what we were buying.

Christa Kelhower Le Mars, IA

Our mattress is the most comfortable one that we've ever owned and it was so much cheaper than other major brands. After 2 years, it's still like brand new. No sagging or bumps.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

I have been sleeping so well sense I got this mattress! I have back problems that are usually irritated if I sleep in an environment that doesn't provide enough cushion and support for my spine. I just recently got a Serta mattress and I have noticed a decrease in my back pain over the past few weeks.

Kort Kort Hopkinsville, KY

I will say that I had good experiences while shopping there. The customer service was outstanding and all of them made sure to take care of me and make sure that I didn’t have any questions. They offered to give me samples to try out before purchasing. They showed me other options that weren’t in the store, options that weren’t online but that could be customize in special ordered. I thought that was wonderful. I don’t have anything negative to say about this company. My experience was great.

Ashley Brown New River, AZ

Best mattress ever! Keeps us cool at night and gives us great back support! We have slept better for the last 3 months than the 2 years we had the other mattress. Definitely worth the money for the mattress with 3 snowflakes!

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

We bought a Serta mattress for my daughter and she loved it so much that we bought another one for our guest room. We got the queen size from Sams club and it was a good price and great quality. Everyone who sleeps on it says it is wonderful and i have slept on it myself and found it extremely comfortable.

Dr. Daniel R. Thomas North Port, FL

I have 6 pins in my spine from an injury I sustained during Operation Desert Storm. I cannot lay down flat on my back. I must lay on my right side to sleep. Their Calf. King Pillow Top Matress provides me with the best support that I can get. Soft but firm! I cannot sleep without it!

Kirk Dallas, TX

I have always used serta pillows and mattress covers/toppers and they have not disappointed. I just got a new serta king sized mattress with pillow top and cooling jel for a steal of a price. Great quality brand without paying extra for the name.

Sunny Perry Springville, UT

Very happy with my Serta Mattress. Had bad back pain from standing at work all day. I couldn't sleep the whole night waking up to change position because my legs would fall asleep. Got a Serta mattress and for the first time in 5 years I slept the whole night.

James Larson Pleasant Grove, UT

They say that Serta makes the worlds best mattresses, and I don't know if that is true, but my experience has been good with them. My mattress is just the right softness for us and when I'm out of town sleeping in an unknown bed, I find myself longing for the mattress I'm used to... a Serta.

tini mapu Orem, UT

Serta beds are so comfortable. They can make you fall asleep instantly. It's great to come home after a long work day and just relax. It's hard to get out in the morning. I would recommend these beds to anyone who has a hard time sleeping.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

Our Serta seemed to last quite a while and stay quite comfortable. My husband weighs 240 pounds so after a few years we did notice that his side tended to have a dip in it. Not horrible, but definitely noticeable. It's frustrating, but actually expected. I would love to find a mattress that doesn't do that. We were happy with it for while it lasted but now would like to replace it and haven't just because we can't afford a new one. So for now, we will due with our old Serta.

Hunter Kasprzyk Gilbert, AZ

This is my current mattress and its the most comfortable one I've slept on. Its super soft which I love and doesnt give me any back pains. The support is really good and I couldnt ask for anything more. Although it was kinda expensive.

Andrea Smith Idaho Falls, ID

We have had two Serta mattresses for over 12 years and they are still the best mattresses we've ever had. They are extremely comfortable and haven't broken down at all. Whenever guests sleep at our house, they tell us how comfortable the bed is. I would buy a Serta again.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

As far as im concerned serta has and is the best,prices are inline with other brands,durability is superb

North Florida Wildliife Center Tallahassee, FL

Very comfortable mattress, the selection from soft to firm is very wide but I do prefer their pillow top option

Marci Randall Sandy, UT

Purchased a mattress from Sam’s club and within 4 months there was an indent where we slept. I returned it and exchanged it for another thinking it may just be that mattress…again the mattress didn’t hold up. I am extremely disappointed and sleep deprived!

Kamron Dalton Riverton, UT

Serta is a tried and true mattress that hasn't changed much over time. I've had my mattress for over 10 years and it is still comfortable to sleep on and provides comfort without complication.

John Joyce Chicago, IL

Have had a Serta coil & cool foam queen for 8 years and it is still an outstanding mattress that we look forward to every night.

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

Very sturdy and comfortable for the quality and material. Lasted a few years before needing to purchase a new set but well worth the purchase price.

Mike D Malden, MA

The Serta Perfect Sleeper was excellent quality. Price was a little high, but had this mattress for 10 years and was very comfortable. Great product!

hminfo Olney, MD

The Serta memory foam style mattress I have is the best mattress I have ever owned. I am able to sleep for hours without ever getting any body aches for pains. I can't say enough about how great it is.

Jeffrey A Stapp Ellensburg, WA

Very pleased with Serta, a very comfortable mattress, I sleep so much better, got the mattress at Matress Firm, was helped very quickly and am very pleased with my mattress, thank you Serta and Mattresse Firm