Purple Logo

Purple

8.0

LAST UPDATED: November 18th, 2021

Purple was founded by brothers Tony and Terry Pearce in 2015. The Pearce brothers have spent most of their high-tech careers advancing the world of cushioning. With the Purple bed, they put all of their research into making the world’s greatest mattress — and they figured out how to do it so everyone can afford one.
Purple currently offers three mattresses models: The Purple Mattress, Purple Hybrid, and Purple Hybrid Premier. It also offers an adjustable base, a platform base, seat cushions, pillows, and special stretchy sheets.

Here is a basic breakdown of the three different Purple mattresses:

The Purple Mattress (Q $1,149)
Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Split King

Firmness: Medium-firm

Previously known as the Original Purple, this model is good for a back or stomach sleeper. It has a base layer of high-density polyurethane foam for support and a middle layer of softer support foam. The top layer is two inches of the unique Purple Grid cushioning material. Different from the Original Purple, which is no longer available, this model now has more edge support and a SoftFlex knit fabric cover.

Purple Hybrid (Q $1,699)
Available in Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King

Firmness: Medium-firm

Previously Known as Purple.2, the maker suggests this model for back sleepers and more slender sleepers. This hybrid model brings together the company's original cushioning grid comfort layer and high density foam with a core support layer of pocket spring coils. This means that it will have more bounce and be more responsive than the original grid and foam model.

Purple Hybrid Premier (Q $2,299–$2,999)
Available in Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, and Split King

Firmness: Medium (3-inch); Medium Soft (4-inch)

Previously known as Purple.3 and Purple.4, this hybrid mattress is composed of multiple materials. The 7.5-inch support layer is made with responsive pocketed coils. On top of that, the middle layer is an inch of high-density foam. Then, customers have to choose between a three-inch (Q $2,199) or a four-inch (Q $2,999) top layer.

The 3-inch is a good fit for couples who have different sleeping positions and people who don't have one set sleeping position.

The 4-inch is most comfortable for side sleepers and full-figured sleepers.

You can try out and purchase a Purple mattress at select retail locations, including Bed Bath & Beyond, Denver Mattress, HOM Furniture, Macy's, Mattress Firm, and Sleep Experts. They can also be purchased directly from Purple at two Utah showrooms or at purple.com. The following purchase policies apply with a mattress purchase direct from Purple.

The Good

• Patented Polymer Grid Technology
  • Financing Available
  • 100-Night Sleep Trial and Return Policy
  • Warranty Coverage
  • Discounts

Patented Polymer Grid Technology

Each Purple mattress features the company's proprietary Smart Comfort grid technology on its upper layer, covered in a special white powder. Rather than a memory foam layer for support, this layer of hyper-elastic polymer looks kind of like a big purple waffle, with lots of negative space.

This means that Purple mattresses can provide pressure relief while still supporting your spine. Additionally, the polymer material doesn't retain heat the way that a memory foam mattress does.

This comfort grid layer causes all Purple mattresses to be rated as Universal Firmness, making them good for side sleepers, back sleepers, and stomach sleepers. While each mattress has a little different feel, the firmness level is moderate, supportive, and comfortable for each sleeping position.

Its meant to feel weightless. The more grid material, the more weightless. So, for the Purple Hybrid Premier, the most expensive mattress, you can choose between three and four inches on top. Three inches is supposed to feel like weightless support and the four-inch grid option is supposed to feel like zero gravity. There's a reason why this option is suggested for side sleepers. It allows for your hips and shoulders to be cradled and supported with reduced pressure, while your waist and neck are still supported. It allows for cool feeling sleep while still supporting spinal alignment.

This proprietary cushioning material is also the foundation of the Purple Pillow and seat cushion.

Financing Available

Purple wants to make your shopping experience as pleasant as possible, and that includes offering a variety of payment options to suit your specific needs. This mattress company offers financing through Affirm on its website.

Affirm allows you to pay for the purchase in installments, spread out of a period of months, with annual percentage rates (APRs) as low as 0 percent, depending on your credit. You can pre-qualify online without affecting your credit.

100-Night Sleep Trial and Return Policy

Purple offers a very desirable mattress return policy. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you have the option to return the product within 100 days for a full refund. You just have to spend at least 21 nights' sleep on it before you contact customer service to return.

This gives you the chance to see if the mattress is a good fit for your body.

Warranty Coverage

Purple offers outstanding warranty coverage compared to its competitors. When you purchase a mattress from purple you are guaranteed a 10-year warranty coverage, whereas other mattress providers only offer a manufacturer's warranty for the products you purchase from them.

Discounts

Purple offers discounts for military, first responders, and students. The company even has a referral program.

The Bad

• Alaska and Hawaii
  • Shipping Options
  • Twin Size

Alaska and Hawaii

For shoppers who live in Alaska or Hawaii, it's not a risk-free trial. These people will get a full refund, less shipping, if they decide to return the mattress under the 100-night sleep trial policy. Unfortunately, this is a policy for many mattress brands, especially those that offer free shipping elsewhere.

Shipping Options

Due to different restrictions, Purple mattresses have different shipping options, which can be a little confusing. Here is the basic outline:
The original Purple can only be ordered with free ground shipping. There is not white glove delivery. That means that it will ship with ground shipping to your home address and you have to carry it inside.

The Purple Hybrid can be shipped with free ground shipping, but shoppers have the option to upgrade to white glove delivery. This includes in-home setup and the option to have your old mattress removed.

The Purple Hybrid Premier is a little confusing. The Twin XL, Full, and Queen offer free ground shipping or free white glove, with in-home setup and mattress removal. The larger size King and Cal King mattresses aren't able to be shipped with ground, due to their weight. They each weigh more than 200 pounds, so white glove is the only option, but it is free. Split King purchases ship in two boxes, so this isn't an issue.

Twin Size

Neither of the hybrid mattresses offer a regular Twin. Sizes start at Twin XL. This will only impact a small number of shoppers who are looking to fit a regular Twin on to an existing bed frame, platform bed, or base that isn't XL.

The Bottom Line

Purple mattresses have only been around since 2015. Over this short period of time, the company has gained customers' trust by offering high-quality mattresses with unique advanced cushioning technology, unlike any other type of mattress. With the addition of its two hybrid innerspring mattress options, Purple's product line has options to help nearly all sleepers get a good night's sleep.

Purple offers free shipping in the contiguous United States, a desirable in-home trial and return policy, and a 10-year mattress warranty, which is good, but not incredible within the mattress industry.

Have you ordered a mattress from Purple? Let us know about your experience with a quick review below.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have a Purple mattress in one of my bedrooms and it is the most comfortable Mattress I have. When I have had a long day, it feels amazing to come home to my Purple mattress. I've had to call customer service, only once, and they instantly solved my concern. Great company!

Purple Logo

Reply from Purple

Thanks for sharing, Roberto!

Nov. 1st, 2021

Hope Funk Chicago, IL

Very firm, supportive bed, solid customer service, and crazy heavy mattress. Support has been responsive and helpful, and shipping was pretty quick. When the actual bed arrived, it was in a 5ft tall cylindrical bag that I needed a second person to drag it up the stairs of my apartment. Once it was set up (give it 6+ hours to inflate and let the packaging smell filter out) it was pretty fantastic.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Purple mattresses and their other products are super comfortable. They have a ton of mattresses to choose from so it is impossible to not find the right one.

WastedTalent Binghamton, NY

Overpriced lump of memory foam. Not even very comfortable. After a few weeks, I decided to return the mattress. The process was smooth and in a couple of days, they sent a truck to haul it away to the landfill.

kristy sowell Waynesboro, MS

Mattress delivered within days. Sleeps comfortably. Split pay made it easy to finance without additional cost. Will use again.

druian kipper Seattle, WA

Got this mattress about a year ago and have enjoyed every night with it, there has been a noticable reduction in back pain and a sounder sleep attained.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Great value and a very unique mattress design. Very competitive pricing when compared to the other similar new age mattress companies. Conveniently shipped and easy to set up.

Bryan Lienke IA

Switched from a queen sized spring mattress and box spring to a king sized hybrid Purple mattress with an adjustable frame based on reviews from colleagues at work. Super comfy! You don’t even realize when your bed buddy, whether your spouse or dog, gets in or out of bed, or roll. Highly recommend.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Go Purple! It is worth the price. All of the painI felt waking up on my old mattress disappeared after I switched to Purple. Try the 30 day guarantee. If you don't love your Purple mattress you can get your money back. I am no longer tossing and turning at night. I finally have a great night's sleep. I highly recommend Purple!

Lan Gon San Antonio, TX

I have been looking at this mattress for a long time thought maybe was a gimmick but in the end I went ahead and purchased it hands down best mattress I have ever had I have two ruptured discs in my lower back l4 and l5 and I wake up with zero back pain I can sleep on my side stomach or back and it will not matter I will not get up sore or anything great mattress

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Purple matresses are great! They offer free trials, so if you dont like what you have you are able to return it! The mattresses are so comfortable and greatly priced as well.

Glen2021 Spring, TX

I liked the bed. My wife hated it. It was perfect for me, but I like a firm bed.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

My Purple mattress is great. The foam padding is super comfortable and lets me get the best sleep.

Charles Walton Salt Lake City, UT

We have had out purple basic twin mattresses on the Purple adjustable bases for two years now. I enjoy the adjustable base and would highly recommend it. The mattress takes some getting used to. It is rather strange. I cannot say it was uncomfortable and slept well from the first night, but it is totally different experience than standard mattresses provide. To feel it, it feels very firm, but it cradles you body nicely after a few seconds. We, obviously, did not return them after our 100 night trial, so we like them well enough to keep them. The biggest drawbacks are that it can take a few weeks to get your bed and when you do it is very heavy. I set it up alone, but would recommend two people if you can do that. Do get the adjustable base. This mattress conforms so nicely to the hinge points in the base and has no tendency to stay straight as the base adjusts like some mattresses I have seen do. All in all, I consider our Purple mattresses to be a great buy. We have the base model, because when we purchased Purple had not added the two next level mattresses. I have studied the new mattresses and do not feel that they offer any major advantage over our base model. They certainly offer no advantage in cost. For me, the base model and the adjustable base makes a wonderful bed for a reasonable price. The added stuff of the more expensive models would not be important for me. However, the base model is medium firm, so if softer is your choice, try the upper models on for size.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

I have had my purple mattress for 3 years now and sleep wonderfully on it. It’s not to firm but not super soft. The quality it wonderful.

MoMo Fort Wayne, IN

The mattress is way too heavy to move or be on any frame! And the bed frame squeaks! We’ve replaced the original platform 3x and then we had to buy a really expensive new platform which seems to be doing ok, but we shall see.

Andrea Winters South Jordan, UT

We’ve had our Purple mattress for 6 months now. It’s the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on. I don’t have wiggle and adjust to get comfortable. Every angle or side I turn is comfortable. None of my joints hurts in the morning. I can turn over and get up without waking my husband because it’s silent and he doesn’t get bounced by my movement. We love our Purple Mattress, I cant recommend it enough!

Terry Riverton, UT

I was so happy to get my purple mattress! I went to a bunch of different stores trying out different mattresses - most were expensive - and I was uncomfortable with the salespeople. Then I watched the infomercial online about the Purple mattress...and decided to go for it! I sleep better - and I don't wake up with a sore back anymore! I'm a HUGE FAN!!!!

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Underwhelming and expensive. Definitely do not recommend buying these online before testing them out. Customer service is amazing though.

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love my purple king mattress. I was having so much shoulder and hip pain until I got my purple. It did take nearly 90 days for it to be “broken in” and finally feel comfortable. Before that I had wondered if I made a mistake purchasing it. But with the 100 day trial period, it took the worry away and I am so glad I stuck with it. 4 years later and I still love it!

Cindy Simpson West Valley City, UT

We bought our king size Purple mattress 5 years ago and have loved it every night since. Before we bought our Purple mattress, my husband was waking up with sore hips and back. He had heard about Purple, so we researched it, liked what we found, and decided to give it a try. With the money-back guarantee, we had nothing to lose. But we instantly loved our Purple mattress and my husband doesn't wake up sore anymore. I also bought the Purple pillow because of ongoing neck issues, and it's the best pillow I've ever tried. I take it with me on vacations because I can't sleep without it!

Sophie Glendale, CA

I have gotten a purple mattress for over a year now and my sleep has been amazing and it feels great for my back as I have a. Sensitive back and can’t sleep on any mattress. The price is so worth it and it is a great investment that will last for many years and it doesn’t sag or get small it stays in the same shape and as nice as ever after a year , highly recommended

Elizabeth Black East Hampton, CT

I liked the ease of ordering online and have it arrive at your doorstep. It was fun to watch it expand after ripping off the plastic. Before using the Purple mattress, I would wake up with a stiff back, but not anymore. We also purchased the Purple sheets, which are strange, as they seem to be made of a super stretchy t-shirt like material. It works great for keeping the bottom sheet in place as you toss and turn, but it is very easy to lose the top sheet, as a simple pull or tug by one person sends it springing all towards them, and away from everywhere else!

jedimvma Tysons Corner, VA

i purchased a new purple mattress about 2.5 years ago and love it just as much now as i did when i first got it. it's so comfy. the only thing i dislike is moving it can be hard because it's essentially a heavy sponge, and flops over.. but moving anything large is never fun. i also purchased a set of sheets with it and they're one of my favorite sets of sheets. so comfortable, even after weekly washes. they're also the only sheets that fully fit around my mattress which is great when i have 5 year olds who love jumping on my bed

Eric Daniels Gilbert, AZ

We love our Purple mattress! It keeps us cooler and we don’t have to worry about waking eachother up. I convinced my wife that we needed a new mattress and ordered it without telling her. She was skeptical but after one night she was sold! The one thing that we noticed is that it is a much lower profile than our pillow top king size so our bed is lower to the ground. We ordered the frame but it didn’t work with our headboard so our bed is a bit low as we already had low profile box frames. I think the remedy is to buy regular box frames but it was one more expense we didn’t see coming.

Samantha Grabert Salt Lake City, UT

Good beds, customer service is the best. Had a lot of trouble with ordering and getting our bed but Purple worked with us and was so helpful.

sonia ann Brewton, AL

Not a bad mattress but I’m a side sleeper and it was extremely uncomfortable for me my husband loved it. They did offer to send a mattered cover to make it softer but I felt for over a thousand dollars I shouldn’t need a cover. They do have amazing customer service and did try to make me happy. If you’re not a side sleeper or petite like I am it’s a great mattress.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

My husband bought us a Purple mattress after we had tried using a smart mattress called Eight. That mattress made us soooo hot at night, and I was pregnant at the time. It was worse than death. Once we got our Purple mattress, it was perfect for what I needed in support and temperature! We’ve had it for a while now, and we both sleep great!

Carolina camacho

I did not like my purple mattress at all. My back pains were the worst when I owned a purple mattress, and it was an expensive bed.

Jared Provo, UT

I've never done business with Purple directly, but I've laid on one of their mattresses and tried one of their pillows and thought they felt great! It was a good mixture of comfortable and supportive. I would like to buy one eventually if I could find a good deal.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

Best bed ever. Pricey, but worth it. Going on 4 years and I’ll probably never go with another brand. Truly innovative technology. Nothing like memory foam or traditional coil mattresses. I’m a bed snob now and it’s ruined hotel beds for life as I can’t wait to get back to my Purple.

David Anderson Providence, UT

I have seen the ads for purple everywhere and thought that it was a gimmick. I purchased my first mattress online and it came right to my door. The mattress was very easy to open and decompress. From the first night it has been heaven to sleep on. Now the only question is how can we get our entire house switched out to purple. The sheets are good too!!

Amber P. Lehi, UT

My husband and I have home through quite a few mattresses over the years and kept waking up with back pain. We tried purple. It is a different type of bed, and pillows, but it has been amazing for us! We sleep better, the pillows keep our spine aligned. And recently they sent us an upgrade on the frame, which I love be wise there is tons of storage under the frame! They are great!

Sarah Provo, UT

Many of my friends were constantly telling me how I absolutely NEEDED a purple mattress! I was always unsure until I tested out the mattress myself and loved it! I loved it so much I had to buy one for myself! My recent mattress was causing me back pain and it was completely uncomfortable to sleep, but since I bought this mattress, it has left my body feeling so comfortable and relaxed as I lay in bed to sleep.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

We just started using Purple products and feel this is the next generation of great mattress ingenuity. I can't believe anything else being as comfortable and supportive. Thank you, thank you for the amazing sleep Purple.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

We just started using Purple products and feel this is the next generation of great mattress ingenuity. I can't fathom anything else being as comfortable and supportive. Thank you, thank you for the better sleeping Purple.

Tawnya M Burdette, AR

Great mattress! Best night’s sleep I’ve had in a long time. Hubby moves so much in his sleep, and finally, his rolling around doesn’t wake me up. A little more expensive than I think it should be, but glad I finally took the plunge and bought it.

Marwa Albany, NY

Amazing! This mattress is takes sleeping to a whole different level. I used to wake up sore and tired with my previous mattress, but now I wake up super energized. It changed my life

Eric Wheat

Most comfortable mattress I've ever owned

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

We tried MANY mattresses out before finding Purple! I like a softer bed, and my husband likes a more firm bed. This fit both of our needs! The delivery and set up was very easy, and we have both noticed a huge difference in the quality of our sleep!

Brandie Rudy West Jordan, UT

We recently purchased a Purple mattress. It isn't my favorite mattress ever but I do love that they delivered it and removed my old mattress. They were very friendly and I love that if you are unhappy there is a 100 day return policy which is much longer than other companies which I love. I feel that the price of the mattress was competitive with other mattress companies with a similar product.

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I were both experiencing shoulder pain when we would wake up in the morning so a friend of ours told us to buy a purple mattress. We bought one for Christmas this last year online and we love it. It was conveniently delivered right to our house and we were able to easily move it to the bed. Mattress is comfortable and even tho it does take some getting used to at first I now love it and my morning shoulder pain is gone. It was a great purchase for us. Make sure to buy the purple sheets and the mattress cover too.

Lydia Arnold Alpine, UT

We have an earlier version of the Purple mattress and we love it! Our kids are always on our bed complaining that we have the best bed! We've had our mattress for quite some time and it's not showing any signs of wear. I miss it when we go on vacation. We sleep in cheep motels with lame beds and I can't wait to get home to my own bed!

Derek G Pleasant Grove, UT

The Purple mattress is extremely squishy and comfortable. The mattress also comes with a reclinable bed and a remote. The full purple bed package (mattress, remote, frame) is fantastic, you can set it how you need to sleep well, or set it up so you are practically sitting so you can work on things.

David O Pleasant Grove, UT

Purple mattresses catch and cushion me comfortably. I confess, I've been tempted to just flop onto a Purple mattress and let it catch me. The effect is very satisfying. If I could have any mattress in the world, I'd purchase from Purple.

mgillings

Seriously the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!! I would wake up with a sore back in any other bed I ever slept in! I finally found a mattress that I love to sleep on! I always wake up well rested and ready to start my day!

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I had back problem for the longest time. I heard about purple and decided to give it a try. It has helped a lot with my back. I dont have back pain anymore. My husband also loved it. Its not too soft or too hard for me, just perfect

NT Pleasant Grove, UT

i took my pregnant daughter bed shopping and she bought a Purple bed! i am buying one as well. she got a king size and it is VERY comfortable. I actually go and visit her just to lay on her bed. She does not complain of anymore back aches, not asking for back massages anymore. I highly recommend this amazing bed.

Rodney Lee Fort Worth, TX

Mattresses are great, pillows are okay. I would rate purple as one of the top mattresses, however the price isn't where I'd like it to be.

Shaye Mora Davenport, IA

I will never go back to another matress besides purple. I can sleep for 4 hours and it feels like I got 8 hours every night.