Ikea Logo

8.0

LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2021

Ikea is a Swedish multinational company specializing in modular furniture. It sells a variety of products for the home, all over the world, and has been the world's largest furniture retailer since 2008. Ikea owns and operates over 400 stores in more than 50 countries. In this review, we will be focussing on mattress shopping at Ikea.

You can buy a twin, full, queen, or king size bed foundation, bed frame, slatted bed, or mattress from Ikea. The store also offers one adjustable slatted bed base; however, it is made of wood and is not mechanical. You adjust it manually. (This may or may not be what you think of when you picture modern adjustable beds.) For children, shoppers can choose from five crib mattresses and over ten crib models. You can also buy a kid or toddler size bed.

Ikea sells 15+ queen size innerspring, foam or latex mattresses, ranging in price from $179 to $899. Let's breakdown the different types of mattresses available at this retail giant:

Ikea Foam Mattresses

Ikea uses several different types of foam cores in its mattresses for different types of support. You can get any of the following foam bed options:

• A polyurethane foam mattress
  • A memory foam mattress
  • A gel-infused memory foam mattress
  • A synthetic latex mattress
  • A natural latex foam mattress

Ikea latex and foam mattresses come with a special knitted ticking on top to boost pressure relief for your neck, shoulders, and hips while you sleep. Some mattress models combine layers of different foam materials to provide different contouring or cooling properties.

The highest priced foam mattress is one of the retailer's latex models. The Mausund (Q $899), a natural latex foam model with organic materials like wool, coconut fibers, and a cotton cover, to help control airflow and heat retention. At least 50 percent of the product is made from renewable materials, including sustainable cotton.

The lowest price option is the Minnesund mattress (Q $179). With a core of polyurethane foam and a non-woven polypropylene lining, this mattress is rather thin, at just under 4 inches.

Ikea Coil Mattresses

In addition to foam beds, Ikea also offers several coil or innerspring mattresses. The most expensive coil mattress offered is the medium firm Holmsbu (Q $799), which includes a pillowtop comfort layer of cooling gel memory foam, one layer of mini pocketed coils, and two more layers of individually wrapped pocket coils.

On the low end, you can get the Hasvag mattress (Q $199), with Bonnell springs and a layer of soft filling. Even though this bed has 375 coils, it still comes packed into a compressed roll, for easy transport home.

If you are online mattress shopping at Ikea-USA.com, large item delivery starts at $39 and varies depending on your distance from the closest warehouse. If you purchase at your local retail location, delivery starts at $59.

Keep reading to learn more about Ikea mattress policies, including pros and cons, or skip ahead to read Ikea mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Affordable Products
  • Great Return Policy
  • Available Financing
  • 25 Year Warranty

Affordable Products

You can't find products from other mattress brands at this retailer. Although Ikea doesn't sell any third party products, the exclusive line of mattresses from Ikea is very well priced. If you are looking for an affordable mattress, you could be sleeping on any of Ikea's mattresses for less than $1,000. That is unrivaled.

Options include the Myrbacka latex mattress (Q $499), the Morgedal foam mattress (Q $299), the Matrand memory foam mattress (Q $399), and the Haugesund spring mattress (Q $249).

If your biggest priority is finding a bed in your price range, you can get an affordable night's sleep with an Ikea mattress.

Great Return Policy

Ikea offers one of the most flexible mattress return policies in the industry.

You can exchange your mattress for another one within 365 days of purchase, compared to the average 100-120 day's sleep comfort trial policy that you would likely find at another mattress company. This lengthy return policy is great if it takes you a while to know if you are sleeping on the most comfortable mattress for you.

You can make a return for free at any Ikea store. Just bring the product, a photo ID, your receipt or online order confirmation, and the card that you used to purchase the item. If you need a way to transport your mattress for return, you can contact IKEA customer service at 1-888-434-4532 for pricing and to schedule a pickup. Either way, you can sleep easy knowing that you can exchange your mattress if it isn't comfortable.

Available Financing

Financing is available through the Ikea Projekt Credit Card. Promotional 0% interest is available for up to 24 months if you meet a minimum purchase. The standard purchase APR is 21.99%. This is much lower than most furniture or mattress store financing rates—most of which are 28-29.99% APR.

Through the Ikea website, you can even see if you pre-qualify, from the comfort of your own home, before doing the application. That way, you don't put a hard check on your credit report if it isn't necessary.

25 Year Warranty

Ikea mattresses come with a 25-year limited warranty. This is quite long for a non-specialized, non-luxury retailer. Whether you choose a foam mattress or one with coils, you will benefit from this lengthy warranty.

The Bad

• Few Mattress Options
  • Low-Priced Products
  • Firm Mattresses
  • Thin Mattresses
  • Mattress Odor

Few Mattress Options

Fewer than 20 adult size Ikea beds are available. Although it sells innerspring coil, memory foam, generic foam, and latex mattress options, for such a huge worldwide retailer, the selection at Ikea is small. A larger product line would provide better spinal alignment for more types of sleepers.

Additionally, Ikea doesn't offer a true hybrid mattress, so customers will have to choose between the foam and innerspring beds available.

Low-Priced Products

Mattresses are one of the few segments where shoppers sometimes prefer to have a luxury product to sleep on. With Ikea's affordably priced options, some shoppers will seek out a luxury brand bed with advanced sleep innovations and technologies instead of shopping here.

Firm Mattresses

The only comfort level options available at Ikea are medium firm and firm. So, if you prefer sleeping on a firmer mattress, you are in luck; however, if you need a softer mattress to get a good night's sleep, you need to shop elsewhere.

Thin Mattresses

Some of Ikea's mattresses are a bit thin, including the Meistervik (Q $229) foam firm mattress at 4 3/4" thick, the foam Minnesund (Q $179) model at 3 7/8", and the Husvika spring mattress at just over 5" thick.

Meistervik and Minnesund are the store's lowest-priced foam mattress models and seem more like sleeping cushions for tent or RV camping, a mattress topper that you put on top of your mattress, or a cabin cot mattress. They may not provide the precise support that side or stomach sleepers need to sleep pain-free.

The Husvika is an innerspring mattress model that comes rolled-up and compressed for easy transportation. We haven't seen very many mattresses with coils that are under 6 inches.

Mattress Odor

Ikea notes that, depending on mattress components, some models can have a noticeable smell when first removed from the packaging. This is common when it comes to textiles and permeable products that are left in packaging for some time. The products don't contain toxic chemicals and the smell dissipates when you air it out.

The Bottom Line

Ikea is the place to go when shopping for a cheap and convenient innerspring or foam mattress, whether you prefer to have synthetic or natural materials. Shoppers will benefit from incredible pricing and customer-centered policies including a year-long comfort satisfaction policy, low APR financing, and a 25-year warranty.

Several of our customer reviews mention that the quality of Ikea mattresses is satisfactory, for the price. Where shoppers may find a trade-off is in finding sufficient mattress options to satisfy all types of sleepers. Ikea has a lack of overall models to choose from. Most options are pretty strong on the firmness scale. Shoppers that need a softer mattress may not be able to  find a comfortable fit.

Customers should also keep an eye on the thickness of each mattress, especially when shopping online, to avoid getting a mattress that is thinner than expected or won't fit your mattress base properly.

Have you purchased a mattress from Ikea? Let us know with a quick mattress review below.

4.1

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Ikea is a great place to find furniture at a very affordable price. I buy tons of furniture there and I am astounded by the top-tier quality of my items. The employees are very helpful and informative whenever I go in.

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I bought two bed sets for my daughter's condo. The IKEA product is inexpensive; the shopping experience is actually fun; and the beds were easy to construct. The mattresses are a bit soft for my taste but my daughter and her roommate both find them comfortable, We returned to buy a couch, a dining room table and some floor lamps. The above comments are applicable to all of these purchases as well. Count me as a fan of IKEA.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my mattress from ikea and it is sooo comfortable. I don’t sleep well on mattresses that are too firm or too soft. Lucky for me I was able to find the perfect mattress that fit my criteria thanks to one of the employees. They were very kind and willing to work with me.

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

great value and very comfortable mattress. I hate spending a ton of money on a bed and I also hate being uncomfortable. This is a great compromise!

Kim Zuniga Las Vegas, NV

One of the best stores ever! they always have the items I am looking for in stock. The store is a fun place to visit and the atmosphere is great!

Madeline Baker Akron, OH

I LOVE my ikea mattress. It is so comfy and it was easy to bring home from the store in an SUV! Would recommend

Samara Jakavicius Brisbane, QLD

The mattress I bought is incredibly comfy. I love it and will eventually buy more so the other beds in the house have one as well.

Jackson Barousse Kenner, LA

I have slept on an Ikea memory foam mattress for the past 4 years and can confidently say that I have been pleasantly surprised. Everyone who lays on my bed says it's the most comfortable mattress they've ever been on! I would buy again.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

Love my purchase from IKEA, they have several different options for mattress. From hard to soft, a perfect place for anyone to find a mattress that works for them. I also like that they offer different type of mattress types, from memory foam to spring mattresses.

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We love IKEA!!! I wish they had another location closer to my house. We have purchase a mattress from IKEA about 1 year ago and have really enjoyed it and they are a great quality. We have slept much better sleeping on the mattress that we bought. They last a very long time.

Julia UP Southbury, CT

We have 2 mattresses from IKEA, comfy and good price. Will buy again

Eric San Diego, CA

So here is the scenario: Your 19 years old getting your first apartment and of course cannot afford to spend much on furniture. At IKEA you can pretty much furnish your whole place for under a grand(at least I did). I purchased a mattress from IKA about 34 years ago and its probably time to replace it but it really doesn't feel like it. I got the mattress for less than $200 and its lasted for 4 years.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I LOVE Ikea. I love the variety of mattresses they have all they way from super thick comfortable ones to the thin little bunk bed style mattresses. I have used them all. The quality is really good for the price you pay for sure! Returning items always takes a bit longer than I would like, but I'm ok with that because of the service that you receive. The workers are always super helpful. It's one of my favorite places to shop.

Roopca New York, NY

LOVE everything from IKEA. easy to build, and super sturdy. best of all affordable!!!

Justin Pumilia Saint Paul, MN

Easy process getting the mattress. very affordable and comfortable. If you are getting a bed frame from Ikea I recommend getting the mattress there as well.

Roxana Perez ,

I love Ikea! I got my current mattress from them, which was perfect for me. They offer different types (such as soft, hard, etc.) and always have them in exhibition to try them out. And they are very affordable.

Christy Suguturaga Orem, UT

I love how portable and minimal Ikea mattresses are. The beds take up less room and so makes sense for the mattress to be more portable. Good prices and actually comfortable. We have a few beds from ikea that save so much space and the mattresses are light and minimal. Great value!

Hailey Nilson Salt Lake City, UT

Ikea has got to be one of my guilty pleasures. I could spend hours upon hours browsing through all of their amazing products. I bought a mattress from Ikea two years ago, and it's still in incredible condition and I absolutely love it.

NT Pleasant Grove, UT

Ikea is cheap and affordable. we have furnished two kids room from ikea and the beds are VERY comfortable. we have had the beds now for 3 years and they still have no wear/tear. still like it was new when we bought it. we recommended it to our neighbor who also bought from Ikea and LOVE it.

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

Our entire downstairs is filled with mattresses from IKEA. They have products that I had never seen before for such a great value. We have loved every interaction we have had with IKEA. I like everything about the company from their products to the blue bags that they give you. LOVE IKEA.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

What's surprising most about Ikea mattresses is I didn't expect them to be that comfortable but they totally are! The best part is the fit in the clean and look I was going for in my guest room.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

We had a few Ikea bed frames for all 4 of our kids. We loved the mattresses that worked perfectly with the beds and weren't bulky. They were comfortable and helped provide our kids with a great nights sleep.

H Moore Lehi, UT

IKEA has been a great option to buy household goods, bedding and mattresses. The mattresses are good quality and great prices. We appreciated the help and customer service we received with our purchase.

Annie Orr Provo, UT

I could spend all day in IKEA! Every piece of furniture that I have purchased there has been my favorite piece in the room. The mattresses are so comfy! Their customer service and return/exchange policy is amazing too!

Brinley Knowles Smithfield, UT

Ikea is the place to find a great mattress that is affordable. I got mine a few months ago and have loved it. Ikea has such affordable products and their return policy is fabulous.

Shaylee Provo, UT

Ikea is very great for finding mattresses, especially if you need a lot of them for a pretty good price. We needed 10 twins for bunks and they were great, along with all of the pillows and sheets we got there.

Katie Marz Orem, UT

I will never get rid of my mattress from Ikea. I wasn't expecting it to be this great quality but it is the perfect softness for my husband and I. We sleep so great every night on it.

Jr Orem, UT

bought my kids bed from Ikea. i was worried at first with the price being cheap the product would not last long. surprisingly it has been 3 years now and still in great condition and my kids are sleeping very comfortable.

James Nelson Falls Church, VA

Ikea offers a retail experience like I have never seen before. The format really allows the products to come to life in an applicable way, and the prices are extremely reasonable.

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We got an Ikea mattress for our guest bedroom and it was $70 brand new, which is just insanely cheap and we actually sometimes prefer if over our nice one! It was an incredible value for its quality!

MZabelle Naples, FL

My orders were delivered after 3 days and I am so happy with it!

Louise Pedersen Bonnyville, AB

Ikea has so many different types of mattresses to choose from and even describes the matress by sleep style.

Erin American Fork, UT

THESE BED ARE MY FAVORITE!!! they are so comfortable and very nice priced! they are best quality and make it worth every cent and they last a long time. very durable

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Still using the spring mattress and bed frame I got from Ikea back in 2012. Some of the wood has chipped and off but overall still very sturdy and satisfied with it.

Kelly Zemrose Tampa, FL

I love ikea. Reasonable price and fun to roam around in. Always funding something you didn't know you needed

Bunney Schmidt Orem, UT

Everything we have bought from Ikea is top quality and mattresses are no exception for the price. They are a great way to furnish children's rooms.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

For kids beds, these are the best mattresses to use. We love Ikea. I probably would not use them on adult beds as they are a little thin.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

my favorite mattress i've ever gotten is from ikea! it was the perfect balance of hard and soft which is exactly what i need.

Grant American Fork, UT

The mattress that we bought from IKEA has surprisingly held up very well. I was pleased with the product and the price.

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

I like that Ikea has products for various budgets and the quality and durability of the product is excellent.

Shayla Hankins Lehi, UT

IKEA is my go to place for mattresses and all furniture. Nobody beats their prices or their delivery time.

Darius Williams Alexandria, VA

bought my whole bedroom set from here. very good materials and the process to put it together was easy

Linda Los Angeles, CA

IKEA is a breath of fresh air with their products. It’s refreshing with a tad of fashion.

Taylor Siren Gilbert, AZ

IKEA has the widest variety of mattresses, so it’s not a one size fits all kind of experience.

Kevin Cos Chandler, AZ

Well made mats, finally my back pain said me goodby

Dave Brinton

I love buying from Ikea. I enjoy the ease of finding and trying mattresses.