Ikea Logo

8.0

LAST UPDATED: May 5th, 2022

Ikea is a Swedish multinational company specializing in modular furniture. It sells a variety of products for the home, all over the world, and has been the world's largest furniture retailer since 2008. Ikea owns and operates over 400 stores in more than 50 countries. In this review, we will be focussing on mattress shopping at Ikea.

You can buy a twin, full, queen, or king size bed foundation, bed frame, slatted bed, or mattress from Ikea. The store also offers one adjustable slatted bed base; however, it is made of wood and is not mechanical. You adjust it manually. (This may or may not be what you think of when you picture modern adjustable beds.) For children, shoppers can choose from five crib mattresses and over ten crib models. You can also buy a kid or toddler size bed.

Ikea sells 15+ queen size innerspring, foam or latex mattresses, ranging in price from $179 to $899. Let's breakdown the different types of mattresses available at this retail giant:

Ikea Foam Mattresses

Ikea uses several different types of foam cores in its mattresses for different types of support. You can get any of the following foam bed options:

• A polyurethane foam mattress
  • A memory foam mattress
  • A gel-infused memory foam mattress
  • A synthetic latex mattress
  • A natural latex foam mattress

Ikea latex and foam mattresses come with a special knitted ticking on top to boost pressure relief for your neck, shoulders, and hips while you sleep. Some mattress models combine layers of different foam materials to provide different contouring or cooling properties.

The highest priced foam mattress is one of the retailer's latex models. The Mausund (Q $899), a natural latex foam model with organic materials like wool, coconut fibers, and a cotton cover, to help control airflow and heat retention. At least 50 percent of the product is made from renewable materials, including sustainable cotton.

The lowest price option is the Minnesund mattress (Q $179). With a core of polyurethane foam and a non-woven polypropylene lining, this mattress is rather thin, at just under 4 inches.

Ikea Coil Mattresses

In addition to foam beds, Ikea also offers several coil or innerspring mattresses. The most expensive coil mattress offered is the medium firm Holmsbu (Q $799), which includes a pillowtop comfort layer of cooling gel memory foam, one layer of mini pocketed coils, and two more layers of individually wrapped pocket coils.

On the low end, you can get the Hasvag mattress (Q $199), with Bonnell springs and a layer of soft filling. Even though this bed has 375 coils, it still comes packed into a compressed roll, for easy transport home.

If you are online mattress shopping at Ikea-USA.com, large item delivery starts at $39 and varies depending on your distance from the closest warehouse. If you purchase at your local retail location, delivery starts at $59.

Keep reading to learn more about Ikea mattress policies, including pros and cons, or skip ahead to read Ikea mattress reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Affordable Products
  • Great Return Policy
  • Available Financing
  • 25 Year Warranty

Affordable Products

You can't find products from other mattress brands at this retailer. Although Ikea doesn't sell any third party products, the exclusive line of mattresses from Ikea is very well priced. If you are looking for an affordable mattress, you could be sleeping on any of Ikea's mattresses for less than $1,000. That is unrivaled.

Options include the Myrbacka latex mattress (Q $499), the Morgedal foam mattress (Q $299), the Matrand memory foam mattress (Q $399), and the Haugesund spring mattress (Q $249).

If your biggest priority is finding a bed in your price range, you can get an affordable night's sleep with an Ikea mattress.

Great Return Policy

Ikea offers one of the most flexible mattress return policies in the industry.

You can exchange your mattress for another one within 365 days of purchase, compared to the average 100-120 day's sleep comfort trial policy that you would likely find at another mattress company. This lengthy return policy is great if it takes you a while to know if you are sleeping on the most comfortable mattress for you.

You can make a return for free at any Ikea store. Just bring the product, a photo ID, your receipt or online order confirmation, and the card that you used to purchase the item. If you need a way to transport your mattress for return, you can contact IKEA customer service at 1-888-434-4532 for pricing and to schedule a pickup. Either way, you can sleep easy knowing that you can exchange your mattress if it isn't comfortable.

Available Financing

Financing is available through the Ikea Projekt Credit Card. Promotional 0% interest is available for up to 24 months if you meet a minimum purchase. The standard purchase APR is 21.99%. This is much lower than most furniture or mattress store financing rates—most of which are 28-29.99% APR.

Through the Ikea website, you can even see if you pre-qualify, from the comfort of your own home, before doing the application. That way, you don't put a hard check on your credit report if it isn't necessary.

25 Year Warranty

Ikea mattresses come with a 25-year limited warranty. This is quite long for a non-specialized, non-luxury retailer. Whether you choose a foam mattress or one with coils, you will benefit from this lengthy warranty.

The Bad

• Few Mattress Options
  • Low-Priced Products
  • Firm Mattresses
  • Thin Mattresses
  • Mattress Odor

Few Mattress Options

Fewer than 20 adult size Ikea beds are available. Although it sells innerspring coil, memory foam, generic foam, and latex mattress options, for such a huge worldwide retailer, the selection at Ikea is small. A larger product line would provide better spinal alignment for more types of sleepers.

Additionally, Ikea doesn't offer a true hybrid mattress, so customers will have to choose between the foam and innerspring beds available.

Low-Priced Products

Mattresses are one of the few segments where shoppers sometimes prefer to have a luxury product to sleep on. With Ikea's affordably priced options, some shoppers will seek out a luxury brand bed with advanced sleep innovations and technologies instead of shopping here.

Firm Mattresses

The only comfort level options available at Ikea are medium firm and firm. So, if you prefer sleeping on a firmer mattress, you are in luck; however, if you need a softer mattress to get a good night's sleep, you need to shop elsewhere.

Thin Mattresses

Some of Ikea's mattresses are a bit thin, including the Meistervik (Q $229) foam firm mattress at 4 3/4" thick, the foam Minnesund (Q $179) model at 3 7/8", and the Husvika spring mattress at just over 5" thick.

Meistervik and Minnesund are the store's lowest-priced foam mattress models and seem more like sleeping cushions for tent or RV camping, a mattress topper that you put on top of your mattress, or a cabin cot mattress. They may not provide the precise support that side or stomach sleepers need to sleep pain-free.

The Husvika is an innerspring mattress model that comes rolled-up and compressed for easy transportation. We haven't seen very many mattresses with coils that are under 6 inches.

Mattress Odor

Ikea notes that, depending on mattress components, some models can have a noticeable smell when first removed from the packaging. This is common when it comes to textiles and permeable products that are left in packaging for some time. The products don't contain toxic chemicals and the smell dissipates when you air it out.

The Bottom Line

Ikea is the place to go when shopping for a cheap and convenient innerspring or foam mattress, whether you prefer to have synthetic or natural materials. Shoppers will benefit from incredible pricing and customer-centered policies including a year-long comfort satisfaction policy, low APR financing, and a 25-year warranty.

Several of our customer reviews mention that the quality of Ikea mattresses is satisfactory, for the price. Where shoppers may find a trade-off is in finding sufficient mattress options to satisfy all types of sleepers. Ikea has a lack of overall models to choose from. Most options are pretty strong on the firmness scale. Shoppers that need a softer mattress may not be able to  find a comfortable fit.

Customers should also keep an eye on the thickness of each mattress, especially when shopping online, to avoid getting a mattress that is thinner than expected or won't fit your mattress base properly.

Have you purchased a mattress from Ikea? Let us know with a quick mattress review below.

Pedro Paulo Santos Cypress, TX

I'm very frustrated with Ikea. I spent 700 dollars in Ikea's most expensive Mattress and trusted their "Love It or Change It" program that gave 180 days to return. 4 months later, when my wife started getting aches in her back and I'm getting aches in my shoulder and neck and I tried to return it, Ikea didn't accept and said I had only 90 days to return it... I'm very frustrated. The 180 days return policy is in Ikea's website, but we can't trust them. The experience I had was that the "Love It or Change It" program is a complete Lie! That it's only fake marketing! If I had purchased a cheap Mattress, I wouldn't be so frustrated, but I spent 700 dollars and expected a better Mattress, and a better Customer Service. By the way, their Mattresses are mid firm only for three months, then the foam sags... really bad... I don't know what I'll do with this... Avoid Ikea! Update: Ikea solved my issue "given I have a medical condition", so I'm happy. But, still, beware that although they have 180-day return policy for open products, mattresses are an exception! They have only 90 days to be returned. It is not that Ikea is lying in their website, it's just that the exception is mentioned in a different paraghaph, more to the bottom of the page, no star * on the "180 days"... So, beware! And thanks Ikea for solving my issue.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

Ikea has mattresses that are very comfortable and affordable. They make it easy to get the mattress home, whether you bring it home yourself or if you would like it delivered. They have all the standard sizes of mattresses and different levels of firm and softness so you can choose what feels best for you.

Abi Deen Dallas, TX

A family member of mines recommended IKEA for all your furniture needs! Although they can be pricey, the quality is worth it. I purchased a King size mattress set from IKEA in Frisco, the staff was Amazing, not only did I purchase a mattress set, I ended up buying other things for my apartment. They had a Great sales going on at the time that I couldn’t resist!

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

IKEA is a great place to go to get new ideas to refresh the rooms in your house. If you can get there before everyone else, it's a really fun store to walk around. We have purchased many items from IKEA at great prices, though the quality of these items are not the best, they are also not the worst out there. I did purchase and IKEA mattress once, it did the job but for a better nights sleep I would not recommend. The prices have gone up since I started shopping there when I got my first apartment, but I think they are still pretty fair. Some of their items like, couches, bed frames etc. are not things that are going to be long haul items. I did a lot of moving when I was younger and these items did not fair very well being taken apart or moved in moving trucks. I have a set of Kallax shelf units in my craft room and they are great!! But I find that I have to tighten them every so often.

Erinmarie Xian Brandon, FL

We have an IKEA mattress in our guest room. We’ve now had it for over 10 years and it has honestly been one of the best mattresses with Purchased and for a great price. Thousands less than other top of the line mattresses which is why we put it in the guestroom but when we go to replace our current mattress we will probably be buying the same IKEA mattress for our own use in the master bedroom. We purchased the firmest Of the choices and we really like the way it supports our entire body.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I love the variety that Ikea Mattresses have with going from firm to soft at such affordable prices. I love firmer mattresses and got one that specifically supports my back. I also love that there is a trial period for at least one year because you can take your time to decide on the best mattress for you.

Rivers02 Macomb, MI

I bought a mattress from IKEA for my guest room. It was an easy process to purchase and it is comfortable enough for the price. No guests have ever complained. It is firmer and doesn’t show wear so it should last quite a long time.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Ikea mattresses are a great value! While I've slept in comfier, my kids love their Ikea mattress and have no issues falling asleep. Ikea also has a variety of mattress frames to choose from that help increase storage space through methods such as under-mattress drawers. Overall, I am super happy with their mattress quality, especially for the price!

Samarra Miller Hialeah, FL

I was always told Ikea has good mattress so I tied it out not to bad it was definitely a different experience than going to a mattress store I would say try them out the prices were pretty good as well I only had the mattress for 3yrs and It lasted better than I expected.

Mary Kate F Simpsonville, SC

Ikea mattresses are the way to go! I’ve slept on an Ikea mattress for 6+ years now and I can honestly say I love them. Ikea mattresses are not only extremely appealing at their low price, but they are very comfortable and have granted me many nights of undisturbed sleep! While Ikea has a wide variety of mattresses (from foam to spring), their mattresses so typically tend to be firmer (which I like), so if you also prefer harder mattresses, you won’t be disappointed with Ikea’s selection!

A 1 Mesquite, TX

This is one of my favorite department stores! Each time I go, I come out of the store with more than I came looking for. I only wish that there were more locations throughout the Dallas Fort Worth area but I would only spend more money. The only reason I’m giving 4 stars is because the instructions to the items that have to be assembled could use some improvement.

Daniel Cebrero CA

Ikea has different tiers of mattresses and I have purchased and slept on the lowest tier and the highest tier. The lowest tier is basically a “you get what you paid for” mattress. It’s cheap for a reason. The highest tier feels better even tho it’s not extremely comfortable. I’d recommend ikea mattress for a spare bedroom or a room that is not used much. Over all it’s decent for the price point.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

We purchased an IKEA mattress with our guest bedroom furniture when first moving into our first house, and the mattress feel was far better than expected; when I’d lay on the mattress it felt like laying on a cloud. That said, if it wasn’t for the convenience of everything else we get at IKEA, we wouldn’t seek out getting the IKEA mattress again over competitors; we didn’t think it held its shape very long, and the Queen we purchased we felt had a tough time staying firm when two people were on it. Still, we think it’s a great first mattress or guest room mattress.

altavise davis Tallahassee, FL

One of my favorite things to do is shop especially for home. I love IKEA because it has all furniture that meets your exact needs. The customer service is amazing each time you walk through the door. The employees truly help. IKEA has beautiful styles to choose from. My dresser set came from them and I love it! I recommend everyone to shop there for furniture .

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

Overall, my experience with Ikea has been fantastic. They have various workers in the store to help you with the selection process of designing your new home. Although they are a luxurious Swedish brand, they have various low-cost options. Ikea truly embodies what it means when it comes to home design. I would recommend Ikea to anyone that needs furniture.

MNO O Lawrenceville, GA

I was very pleased with the kitchen cabinets I purchased from here. They have held up really well. We had a bit of trouble with the tall cabinet door because it is so heavy but it does it’s job. If for any reason you are unhappy with your kitchen, IKEA allows you to return it within the first year as long as you keep yourself paperwork and receipt.

Sandra Kojic Jacksonville, FL

If you ever go to Ikea, get the Swedish meatballs! I also love their memory foam pillows and mattress toppers. I sleep so soundly and it’s all due to the great quality bedroom products of Ikea.

Aubrey Dallas, TX

I was hesitant to buy an ikea mattress at first, but now I'm so glad I did. Their prices are well below what other mattress companies charge and the quality is just as good. Very happy and impressed!

Laurel Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

My family purchased a mattress and frame from Ikea, and it is as soft as can be! I love how easy it is to collapse and transport the bed frame as well. I will definitely be purchasing a mattress from Ikea in the future.

Ken Cagayan de Oro, MSR

If you want to have a mattress in your house, IKEA is the best option you will have. Their innerspring hybrid mattress is a big thumbs up when it comes to durability though it's expensive.

Bradley Baer Philadelphia, PA

We have an Amazon mattress in our home which we’ve used for years. Since we live close to an IKEA, it was simple to go view the product and then purchase it on the spot. The quality has absolutely held up.

Kristen Parsons Sandy, UT

I LOOOVE Ikea. I enjoy walking around the warehouse seeing all the options that I would have never thought of. The kids section is always fun and we bought a great mattress for our little one. Its held up great and is really supportive.

Luke Swierczynski Waterford, MI

Love Ikea, furnished most of my house with their furniture. There customer service for broken pieces is amazing and quick. The mattress we got from them was so easy to move into the house given the packaging. Just give the bed some time to puff back out before you lay on it!

Richard Cunningham Sandys Parish, SA

Love it. A great mattress which makes me fall asleep everytime my head hits the pillow. Off to slumberland I go. its fantastic and they also have many at a great price. just ask one of the assistants to help. I cant recommend enough!

SummerSpringWinter Smyrna, GA

I'm extremely fond of IKEA, it's design and great products. I've purchased a mattress and a bed from IKEA for my son in college. It is 3 years old now and the mattress is not comfortable for him anymore. He has enjoyed his bed and has moved three times with it. It is easy to set up. However his mattress has not been supportive enough. He is 6'2 and about 165 pounds. He is still happy with his many pieces of IKEA furniture and has influenced friends to buy the same. The packaging when the mattress arrived was quite nice.

Frank Herbert Portland, OR

I bought two bed sets for my daughter's condo. The IKEA product is inexpensive; the shopping experience is actually fun; and the beds were easy to construct. The mattresses are a bit soft for my taste but my daughter and her roommate both find them comfortable, We returned to buy a couch, a dining room table and some floor lamps. The above comments are applicable to all of these purchases as well. Count me as a fan of IKEA.

Vy Ha Tallahassee, FL

Meets standardized conditions of a store and furniture as someone who has trouble building furniture. I like that the workers are ready to assist and have knowledge about the material

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

Ikea mattresses are so amazing! They are very soft, and there are many different sizes! I bought an Ikea mattress once, and it has served me well! I love Ikea mattresses!

Anoushka Ahuja Tallahassee, FL

Ikea has some of the best furniture available! Everything is priced amazingly and is super affordable too. Their mattresses are my favorite, they are very very comfortable and wont break your wallet!

David Swenson

Overall, I would give my ikea mattress experience a satisfactory rating. For the price and savings it is a reasonably good product. When I was in college I had no complaints! But as I got older and tried other brands I realized for a marginal jump in price to other brands the quality and comfort drastically increased!

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

I was pleasantly surprised with the mattress and bed from IKEA. Honestly at first skeptical due to how economical it was, but found the bed and mattress to be totally fine and a good cost efficient bed.

Chelsi Day Ghiorzi Columbus, OH

We love our ikea mattress so much I literally just bought one for my toddler today. The value is incredible. Its one of the most comfortable mattresses we've owned!

Jackson Barousse Kenner, LA

I have slept on an Ikea memory foam mattress for the past 4 years and can confidently say that I have been pleasantly surprised. Everyone who lays on my bed says it's the most comfortable mattress they've ever been on! I would buy again.

Kaysha Love Las Vegas, NV

Love my purchase from IKEA, they have several different options for mattress. From hard to soft, a perfect place for anyone to find a mattress that works for them. I also like that they offer different type of mattress types, from memory foam to spring mattresses.

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We love IKEA!!! I wish they had another location closer to my house. We have purchase a mattress from IKEA about 1 year ago and have really enjoyed it and they are a great quality. We have slept much better sleeping on the mattress that we bought. They last a very long time.

Sambhav Jain Pleasanton, CA

I have an Ikea Mattrand mattress queen Size from Ikea, I just love the mattress. I like firm mattress and this ikea mattress is just perfect in terms of firmness. At under 8 inch thickness, it is not very bulky and looks good on any kind of Bed.

Eric San Diego, CA

So here is the scenario: Your 19 years old getting your first apartment and of course cannot afford to spend much on furniture. At IKEA you can pretty much furnish your whole place for under a grand(at least I did). I purchased a mattress from IKA about 34 years ago and its probably time to replace it but it really doesn't feel like it. I got the mattress for less than $200 and its lasted for 4 years.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I LOVE Ikea. I love the variety of mattresses they have all they way from super thick comfortable ones to the thin little bunk bed style mattresses. I have used them all. The quality is really good for the price you pay for sure! Returning items always takes a bit longer than I would like, but I'm ok with that because of the service that you receive. The workers are always super helpful. It's one of my favorite places to shop.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

Ikea mattresses are great for kids or for your guest room. I would buy a more expensive mattress for your main mattress that you plan to have for a long while.

James Goodman Port Orchard, WA

My Ikea mattress was a great price and very comfortable for the first 11 months. However, after the first year. It began to sag and was very hard and not enjoyable to sleep on. We switched to another brand mattress and used the IKEA one as a guest bed. No complaints by guests, so works great for a “once-in-while” used bed.

Alex John

It's the basic mattress., Good for kids and for your guest house, I wish Ikea have the more affordable delivery options from online

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

The Ikea mattress I bought resulted great. It was cheap and it was exactly what I needed after moving into a new home. It was comfortable and long-lasting.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

IKEA mattresses are cheap but somehow feel luxurious. They are comfortable, low price, durable, and have amazing customer service representatives for all of your needs.

Emily Guareno Tallahassee, FL

Ikea's mattresses are very reliable. They have specific type, depending on how soft or hard you like your mattress. Their prices are very fair as well.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

I turn to Ikea whenever I need subtle pieces of furniture around the house. Though the prices can be a little high sometimes, their quality makes up for it. I do wish they offered more deals though.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

The mattresses are very light and affordable. Unfortunately, due to its size, it doesn't end up super comfortable on its own. Unlike the traditional mattress+boxspring set up, this is just a memory foam mattress a third of the thickness. We added a boxspring under our mattress and it made a huge difference in terms of comfort. Wish we didn't have to, but it just wasn't enough on its own

Ajanaee x Tallahassee, FL

Ikea is a great place to find furniture at a very affordable price. I buy tons of furniture there and I am astounded by the top-tier quality of my items. The employees are very helpful and informative whenever I go in.

tracys2cents Burbank, CA

My ikea mattress has lasted about 15 years. It has not been very comfortable for the last two years but I put a mattress topper on it to help. I consider it good value based on the number of years used compared with the price. It only ended up costing me about $12 per year.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my mattress from ikea and it is sooo comfortable. I don’t sleep well on mattresses that are too firm or too soft. Lucky for me I was able to find the perfect mattress that fit my criteria thanks to one of the employees. They were very kind and willing to work with me.

Phoenicia Cloud Rosamond, CA

I love this store because I have always loved to build and put things together. Most of the products feel like an adult puzzle. I would caution if you don’t like to build it may be a little bothersome but still simple. The store is clean and organized in Aicha. Way that you walk through a maze of sorts to get out. I Peter the website over the store in most cases.