Wells Fargo Logo

6.7

LAST UPDATED: January 17th, 2023

Based out of San Francisco, California, Wells Fargo Bank NA is a financial institution that services all states across the United States. Wells Fargo has over 9,000 Nationwide branches with a broad range of services for the consumer to choose from: Checking and Savings Accounts, CDs, Mortgage Loans, Home Equity Loans, Student Loans, Auto Loans, Credit Cards, and Personal Loans along with numerous other options in the Small Business and Commercial banking and lending categories. Outside of traditional financial needs, Wells Fargo also offers services for the consumer to invest as well as insure themselves, their cars, and their homes. With so much to offer and with a wide range of services, Wells Fargo is leading the financial industry in providing nationwide banking and lending services to consumers.

The Good

• $100,000 Max Loan Amount
  • 5-Year Max Loan Term
  • Competitive Rates*
  • No Hidden Fees
  • Fast Approval Times

$100,000 Max Loan Amount

Wells Fargo assists consumers by offering them the opportunity to take out loans between $3,000.00 and $100,000.00 depending on the consumer's credit and debt to income ratio. This, of course, can be used for debt consolidation, home renovations, planning a wedding, an auto loan, student loans, car repairs, medical bills, or unexpected emergencies.

5-Year Max Loan Term

The maximum loan term for a personal loan through Wells Fargo is five years. Wells Fargo offers their loans for terms as short as twelve months and up to sixty months. In comparison with other lending companies, this is average/competitive. The industry does not vary a lot when it comes to loan terms and many other companies have this same standard of 12- to 36-month loan terms. Other smaller companies might offer a year or two difference in favor of extending a loan, but as for the larger companies that provide many different services to their customers, a five-year loan is standard.

Competitive Rates*

On average, Wells Fargo's personal loans receive an interest rate between 7.25% and 9.25% (*though these values are unconfirmed). This rate can be lower or higher depending on varying factors. For example, a loan for a higher amount over a longer period of time can have an interest rate as low as 5% through Wells Fargo personal loans. These rates are very competitive against other lending companies, especially in comparison to other large financial banks. Companies such as CitiBank have interest rates up to 15% on personal loans. This gives Wells Fargo a huge advantage in the benefits that it provides its customers.

No Hidden Fees

Wells Fargo Bank does not charge Loan Origination Fees, and there are never any Prepayment fees if the consumer chooses to pay the loan off prior to the contracted date.

Fast Approval Times

The majority of the bank's loan approvals happen the same day the application is submitted. Wells Fargo even promises that loan approvals can happen within fifteen minutes of the time they are completed and funds can be made available shortly after that, guaranteeing same day fund availability. This is a huge benefit to customers and one that beats out their bigger name competition without comparison. Other large banks have a several day approval time frame and funds for personal loans are also made available within several business days. The only other companies that can compare to Wells Fargo's speedy process are smaller; exclusively online loan companies and many of them do not have the same reputation and financial stability as a big company like Wells Fargo.

The Bad

Application Process for Non-Members

Currently, Wells Fargo only accepts applications for unsecured personal loans or lines of credit online or over the phone from existing members. If you are not already an account-holder, you may have issues applying for a loan if you live in one of the states where this bank doesn't have a physical presence:

• Hawaii
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia

View Best Personal Loan Companies

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo clearly has both good and bad qualities to its personal loans. Overall, it is a top-notch institution. With average interest rates, flexible loan terms, amounts, no hidden fees, and a strong desire to give consumers the best possible experience, Wells Fargo definitely has the policies in place to gain consumer confidence and trust. Current customers of Wells Fargo may be eligible for additional benefits should they decide to get a loan through the bank. Current customers looking for a loan should definitely go to Wells Fargo first. All other customers should check out our top recommended companies for their personal loan needs.

View Best Personal Loan Companies

Christina Holmes Troy, MI

Obtained a loan for home improvements. Loved the ease of using the app and communicating with customer service. Never had issues and ended up applying for other products with Wells Fargo based on satisfaction.

frank kories Souderton, PA

Customer service is very nice and very helpful. If I had any troubles, they were able to work with me to make things work out. Very happy. This is Bank. The online banking part is very easy to use and navigate very helpful. I have a bank account with them easy to transfer to loans.

Ed Alfaro Phoenix, AZ

I took out an unsecured personal loan from Wells Fargo a number of years ago. I remember that the loan rate was fair as it was based on my high credit score and long employment history.

Ronald Schaffer Schnecksville, PA

We've installed Laef Filter rainspout and accesories to our hous. It's financed through Wells Fargo credit. We got approved as the leaf filter salesman was here through your company. I've mad two easy payments online through the Wells Fargo Credit program offered to me and my mother. So far the service has been very good and to our liking. THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christopher M Harper Katy, TX

I have been with Wells Fargo for almost 20 years. During that time I have had the opportunity to experinence a number of their services, loans, personal banking, business banking, investments etc. On each occassion I have discovered that they provide excellent service, especially when you visit them within the bank to the point where they develop a personal relationship with you, leaving a sense of feeling supported. Their loans were equally as good to work with. On the investing side, they take the personal relationship a step forward and develop relationships with their clients and provide tremendous support. I am still with Wells Fargo, and I have my business banking with them too!

Steve Portland, OR

We used this for equipment purchase. Rates seemed a little above market, but other terms and the ability to get stuff cleared by going to the branch in person helped a lot.

Liz Denver, CO

I have a personal loan through Wells Fargo and to be honest their customer service isn’t the best. Not to mention the issues with overcharging fees on my account that were not valid it was extremely hard to every talk to a real person about my issue. I personally wouldn’t use them again for a personal loan.

Ralph Walls Wilmington, DE

I remember I was so excited when Wells Fargo came to Delaware. I worked for cash and they were the first bank I used that could deposit cash in the ATM. To me nothing was better at the time. The biggest problem was few locations.

Bridget Walker Gulfport, MS

Wells Fargo is a great bank. They help you get the money you need when you need it. They make it quick and easy as well. I've been banking with them for 5 years now and I highly recommend them. They make your dreams a little easier to achieve.

Nam

I use Wells Fargo for my auto loan and they've been great. When I bought my car, everything was already setup online and all I had to do was login and verify a few things. The website has since changed, and the layout is much more user friendly. The customer service is also outstanding. Overall, I would recommend Wells Fargo if you're looking for a personal loan.

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

I needed a personal loan to repair our pool that was leaking. I use Wells Fargo for my checking account. I found the representative at Wells Fargo loan department to be very knowledgable and the helpful in helping me secure my loan. The representative was sensitive to my needs, and helped me secure the loan at a good interest rate in a timely manner. Thank you Wells Fargo.

Christina Sutu-Wallar Fresno, CA

I’ve used Wells Fargo for my banking needs, and I’ve had a credit card with them, for over 20 years. When I was looking for a personal loan, it made sense for me to go to them first. As always, they offer amazing products, services, and really try to tailor everything to what you specifically are looking for. They do not cookie-cutter their clients which I appreciate.

Dee Leesburg, GA

Wells Fargo is a customer service friendly company. It is easy to get a loan with them if you have great credit. They will work with you to help you bring your scores up. They are always working on ways to improve and assist customers.

Matthew Laney San Diego, CA

I received a personal loan from Wells Fargo several years ago. The terms were fair , the interest rate was decent and the customer service reps were cordial and knowledgeable. When I needed to postpone a payment they were helpful and solutions oriented.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

The best thing they offered when getting a loan was the auto-draft for my loan which made it easy so there were never any late fees or payments. They did offer pretty good rates on their loans which made it easy for me to choose them. However, the bad part about having a bank account with them is I noticed small increments such as 0.37 cents being taken from my account as well as my loan amount. Hence, I quickly paid the loan off and moved bank accounts.

CMWitt Black Earth, WI

My experience with Wells Fargo was good. I am a customer so they have essential information on file before I applied for a loan, I only needed to supply the additional information. My lender was friendly and helpful. The loan was smaller and the funds placed directly into my account.

Erin Murphy Saint Paul, MN

Wells Fargo has a solid website/online banking - so it's usually very easy to get information that you need. Customer service in-person and via phone is pretty good as well... less knowledgeable than it used to be, but they seem to eventually get me the assistance I need. When I had a home equity loan with WF, I was 'surprised' when an annual fee started showing up - so watch out for the 'fine print' or changes to loan terms.

David Wilhelm Escondido, CA

Wells Fargo Bank is our primary bank who we use for most all of our financial services needs. They are very customer oriented and helpful and provide multiple loan options to consider when applying for a personal loan. In addition, the personal bankers are consultants who ask good questions to identify the type of loan that best meets our needs in terms of APR, repayment period and amount borrowed. Keep up the great work !

Andrea Wynne Shakespeare Stockton, CA

Borrowed money to buy a motorcycle. Happy with the payment amount. The loan officer was very friendly.

Eva Salazar Lubbock, TX

Very easy to work with and set up. Good communication and fast turn around time.

Brenda Anderson Dallas, TX

Had a great experience with Wells Fargo. I took out a 25,000 home improvement loan. They were always professional and easy to use. I would go with them again. No problems or pressures. Put me at ease!

Debbie Prevo Dayton, OH

Applied online, within 24 hrs I got a phone call to finish the application and a check was mailed to me. I call in to the automated system to make my payment and it’s super easy

Mike D Lynchburg, VA

Wells Fargo provided a personal loan which allowed me to have a window replaced. Good terms at a reasonable interest rate. Only problem was if I paid ahead they would expect another payment the following month even when I called to make sure that didn’t happen.

Aubrey Greenville, SC

I've used Wells Fargo for years and just barely took advantage of their personal loan program. I got a great interest rate and I loved their consultants, I genuinely felt taken care of.

Amarie Rodriguez Houston, TX

Wells Fargo is a good bank/ loans. Customer service are friendly. Loan application is an easy process. However, their interest rates are pretty high. I would recommend them.

L Turner Indianapolis, IN

I needed to get a new home AC unit and Wells Fargo helped with financing. I was able to get 36 months no interest which helped a ton during hard times.

Stephen Thompson Palatine, IL

Administrative nightmare. Have an excellent credit rating and had to submit duplicate documentation multiple times because their left hand didn’t communicate with their right hand. Once in place- no issues but will never go back to them for a mortgage or financing.

Demetrace Williams Milwaukee, WI

5 star service. Wells Fargo went over and beyond. It was a lot of paperwork, but they guided me all the way. I would recommend Wells Fargo for any loans that you may need.

Anthony Laprocina St Louis, MO

They have worked with me thru COVID. A lot better than I would of expected!

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I liked the easiness of applying and getting approved fast. I think having a mortgage with Wells Fargo probably helped.

WEAM SUWAED New York, NY

Great service, communication were great with agents, easy to make payments online. Handling my personal informations professionally and safely.

Daniel Fowler

Simple and very easy to work with Wells Fargo. They took care of me from day one and using the web made everything very easy.

MRCONSULT Los Angeles, CA

Telefone procedure is relatively long and annoying, waiting time sometimes 30 minutes, but after that handling of loan is very easy and process is well documented.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

They have great customer service and bend over backwards to take care of the customer and put the customer first. They made it easy to do the approval and I can access the funds and pay them back at my convenience and I only have to pay when I have a balance. It works great for me.

nathan brewer Lehi, UT

We decided we wanted to build our own house and couldn't get a conventional construction loan. When we went to Wells Fargo they taught us how we could get a personal loan by getting a home equity loan. We have been able to use that to build a house and start a rental company building and renting homes. It has helped us soo much.

Bess Wilfong St Louis, MO

I had a good experience with Well Fargo. They were upfront in disclosing details and communicated regularly.

Laura Mccall Sacramento, CA

Wells Fargo was very helpful even though I didn't qualify they were still super helpful and customer service was really nice

Frank Rivera Peabody, MA

Secured a personal loan to consolidate credit card debt. Wells Fargo gave me an impressive rate!

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

The process with Wells Fargo was fairly standard. After the background check and credit reports we were approved

Daisy May Minneapolis, MN

I was able to get a loan quickly and professionally, I didn’t have the loan long.

Jonathan Bountiful, UT

I have a mortgage with them and wanted to drop the mortgage insurance because the value of the home has risen. They require you get an appraisal from THEIR appraiser at a rate much higher than you can find on the free market to do so. Seems very sketchy to me. Other than that they have been ok.

June Simmons Blackmon/ Morris Blackmon Alpharetta, GA

I have withdrawn my direct deposits from Wells FARGO BECAUSE OF THE DISRESPECTFUL WAY IN WHICH WE. WERE INFORMED OF THE DENIAL OF LOAN. WE WERE NOT CALLED, EMAILED OR TEXTED. WE HAD TO GO TO THE BANK TO FIND OUT THE STATUS. WE WERE NOT GIVEN A STATEMENT EXPLAINING WHY WE WERE DENIED. I AM AM AWARE OF THE DISRESPECTFUL TREATMENT OF MINORITIES IN THE PAST. My direct deposits of over $ 3800.00 a month will go to another bank.

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

The customer service regarding personal loans is not very responsive or personal. Their rates are really high too.

Bob Abaya South San Francisco, CA

Really great products, excellent customer service, and addresses my needs and concerns.

Larry Hawker Las Vegas, NV

Wells Fargo is a good solid bank. They have had some issues and bad press but this is a good reliable and stable bank built on a strong foundation.

Anna Riley Minneapolis, MN

They treated me fair. They were a good company to get home loans from.

Karen Cunningham Ocala, FL

Easy process and customer service very friendly

Wendy Kurtz Durango, CO

Wells Fargo is a money monger. They don’t give loans with low eating because I have National Debt getting rid of my debt. They do not look at whole person, only rating.

Sanita Pompano Beach, FL

Does Wells Fargo give personal loans to anyone? I have a good banking relationship with the bank with a credit score of almost 700 and was denied a loan through my email, not even a call from the loan officer.

Terri Kingman, AZ

Great APR rate, worked within my budget, got low interest rate.. Customer Service was excellent & supportive