LightStream Logo

LightStream

6.5

LightStream, a division of SunTrust Bank, offers its customers highly competitive fixed-rate financing for a variety of needs, including credit card or debt consolidation from the convenience of a computer or mobile device.

LightStream advertises a hassle-free loan that rewards customers for their credit, providing same-day loan approval and funding. Thus, qualification requirements are strict and favor those with excellent credit, a solid credit history, and a low debt-to-income ratio.

LightStream customer reviews are primarily 1-star, providing customer accounts of transparency issues and qualification difficulties, even with good credit.

search

Highlight: LightStream personal loan rates and terms

• APR range — 2.49%–19.99% (with AutoPay discount)
  • Loan amounts — $5,000–$100,000
  • Loan terms — 24–144 months
  • Minimum credit score — 680

Keep reading for pros and cons, and LightStream reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Flexible Loan Terms
  • High Max Loan Amount
  • Competitive Rates
  • Direct Lender
  • Quick Application Process
  • Loans for a Variety of Financing Needs
  • No Loan Origination Fee or Prepayment Penalty
  • LightStream Mobile App

Flexible Loan Terms

LightStream has various loan terms available for customers. The maximum loan term offered through LightStream is a 144-month (12-year) loan, which is higher than the average loan term of 60 months.

There are also several other term options available through LightStream. Customers can select to have a repayment term as short as 24 months (two years).

High Max Loan Amount

LightStream allows customers to borrow as little as $5,000 or as much as $100,000, higher than many other lenders in the industry.

However, to qualify for this maximum amount, an excellent credit score (700+) is required, which may not be possible for every borrower.

Competitive Rates

LightStream offers competitive annual percentage rates ranging between 2.49 percent to 19.99 percent* (with the AutoPay discount). It is important to note that rates vary by loan type and loan term.

With such a wide range of loan amounts and repayment terms available, borrowers have the ability to select a loan that will best fit their needs and financial situation.

However, with such competitive rates, LightStream requires a credit score of 680, which is much higher than some of its competitors. And to qualify for the lowest interest rate, you must have an excellent credit score.

Direct Lender

Unlike many of its competitors, all of the funding for a LightStream loan is provided in-house, which means immediate loan funding upon the close of a consumer's loan. This also means that there are no third parties involved in the process, resulting in no transfer of personal information.

This is good news as there is less of a chance that a consumer will fall victim to scams, predatory lending, or other forms of illegal activity such as identity theft.

Quick Application Process

A LightStream personal loan can be approved with funding transferred within the same day of application, which is faster than other competing online lenders. This is great for borrowers who need funds as soon as possible.

However, same-day funding is only possible if a borrower is approved by 2:30 p.m. Eastern time on a banking business day, and has completed the loan agreement process.

Loans for a Variety of Financing Needs

LightStream offers loans for numerous financing needs and provides fixed rates and terms for each loan type on its website. These options include:

• Auto
  • Kitchen or Bath Remodel
  • Debt Consolidation
  • Swimming Pool
  • Medical
  • Wedding
  • Timeshare
  • Boat

It's important to note that signing LightStream's contract means you are agreeing to spend the loan only on the specified loan purpose in your application. There are many competing lenders who do not have such strict stipulations and allow borrowers to use their loan to fund whatever they'd like.

No Loan Origination Fee or Prepayment Penalty

LightStream does not charge an origination fee or prepayment penalty fee. This means you will not have to pay an additional fee to fund your loan, and you can pay it off whenever you want without penalty. The option to pay off the loan early allows you to save a great deal of money in interest.

Additionally, LightStream does not charge a late fee if you miss a monthly payment. This is unique in the industry, but LightStream provides itself with some assurances that borrowers will make their payments on time by requiring a high minimum credit score.

LightStream Mobile App

To easily manage your loan, you can download the LightStream app, available on both Android and iOS. Through the app you can check payment due dates, make payments, monitor your balances, and even apply for a new loan if needed.

The Bad

• No Pre-Qualification Option on Website
  • Fund Stipulations
  • Loan Refinance Stipulations
  • High Minimum Credit Score
  • Negative Customer Reviews

No Pre-Qualification Option on Website

LightStream does not provide a pre-qualification option on its website, a service that most other personal loan lenders provide, allowing you to see rates and terms based on your credit score and personal information without any impact to your credit score.

Fund Stipulations

When you apply for a LightStream loan you will be required to specify the loan purpose, whether that be an auto loan, a debt consolidation loan, or a loan for medical expenses or home remodeling. Although you can lose your loan for a variety of needs, funds must be used specifically for the reason stated when applying for the loan or it is void. These are basic terms of the agreement and apply to each and every processed LightStream loan.

Loan Refinance Stipulations

LightStream doesn't offer refinancing on existing LightStream loans. This is a common practice in the industry - lenders not providing refinancing on their own loans - and Best Egg, for example, has the same refinancing stipulation. However, LightStream does refinance loans from other lenders.

High Minimum Credit Score

LightStream's estimated minimum credit score is approximately 680, which is high in comparison to other online lending companies. This high minimum requirement allows the company to offer competitively low rates and high loan amounts.

However, LightStream does claim to be a personal loan company that rewards its customers for excellent credit, meaning that you can access competitive rates and terms if you have a strong credit history and assets, demonstrating your ability to save money.

Negative Customer Reviews

LightStream finance reviews from customers reflect a number of low-star reviews with around 64 percent of its reviews recorded as one star. The main LightStream complaints voiced by consumers highlight unclear financial guidelines, and a low acceptance rate even for those with an excellent credit score.

It should be noted that there are currently less than 100 LightStream reviews. Take note of the anecdotal reviews that you read, but keep in mind that limited reviews offer a limited perspective on a company and its overall loan experience.

The Bottom Line

As a direct lender, LightStream offers personal loans through SunTrust Bank. With a high minimum credit score, LightStream is ideal for individuals with good to excellent credit, a strong credit history, and a good debt-to-income ratio. Consumers with little to no credit will have a difficult time receiving a personal loan from LightStream, and current customer reviews express this difficulty.

A LightStream loan can be used for a variety of needs, including debt consolidation, the most common use of a personal loan, but LightStream requires that you use funding on what you listed in your loan application, which can be limiting. Other top-ranked lenders provide more flexibility in how borrowers can use their loans.

We advise you to read customer reviews below and compare the lender against other top-rated personal loan companies before making your decision.

View Best Personal Loan Companies

*Your loan terms, including APR, may differ based on loan purpose, amount, term length, and your credit profile. Lowest rates require excellent credit. At least 21% of approved applicants applying for the lowest rate qualified for the lowest rate available based on data from 1/01/2021 to 3/31/2021. Rate is quoted with AutoPay discount. AutoPay discount is only available prior to loan funding. Rates without AutoPay are 0.50% points higher. Subject to credit approval. Conditions and limitations apply. Advertised rates and terms are subject to change without notice.

Payment example: Monthly payments for a $10,000 loan at 2.49% APR with a term of 3 years would result in 36 monthly payments of $288.57.

Maximum APR for a LightStream loan is 20.49%.

2.4

Lucas Raymondville, TX

I would like to give this so called company a zero rating if possible. I tried twice to apply within two days. The first time, I had a credit freeze on one of the credit bureaus. After all the hard work removing the freeze and checking with the other credit bureaus, I tried again. I was rejected again (within minutes). I have a credit score over 700 so not sure what the problem is. Supposedly an insufficient credit history which i don't even understand. I have had several credit cards and good history all paid off. Not sure what type of customers they are looking for.

Craig R Fairfield, CA

I found LightStream not to be straightforward. I have excellent credit (820+), very good income, and solid assets. They initially implied I'd get a great rate, but into the process, I could tell I was getting the old "bait & switch" rate... I saw rather quickly into their process that their tactics were deceptively opportunistic...

Shin Han Norcross, GA

My experience with these folks was really unpleasant. They wanted to see all kind of documentation then denied my application with out any good reasons. My credit score was over 700 at that time. I applied for an auto loan with Penfed and got approved for $68k with 4% interest after that. All good reviews sound really hard to believe, some people said they got approved without proof of income (for an unsecured auto loan?) If your credit is that great, you can get a secured loan else where with much less interest rate. Unsecured loan with high interest doesn't make any sense for people with stellar credit. Customer service replied emails fast but without any knowledge about the loan. From the language they used in the email, it was like talking to a high school kid. There are many lenders with great reputation, look elsewhere trust me.

Shauna L Round Rock, TX

My Score in the lower 700's. Income 150 yearly. Applied online, received an answer via email within the hour. Then was prompted to set up the deposit and monthly payment options. Money was in my account the following day after 2:30.

Rick Young Benton, AR

What a joke of a company. Refused my application with a credit score of 721. Was trying to combine my debts but not with this company. Waste of time.

JupiterMining Seaford, DE

I have a 780 credit score, solid work history, and a solid payment history on a car loan through Suntrust/Truist. I applied for a credit consolidation loan in hopes of getting a lower interest rate so I could pay down a couple of high balances more quickly. I was rejected for having high balances -- the same ones that I was seeking a loan to pay off. Well, duh... I thought that was the point of a consolidation loan? I would understand if other aspects of my application made me a risk, such as low credit score or poor work history, but that's not the case with me so I am truly confused. The top page of reviews on Google for this company comes from Lightstream themselves, so of course those reviews are all glowing. Couldn't find anywhere on their site to leave my own review. So that page is probably a load of b.s. Sorry I wasted my time. Lesson learned, use a real bank and not some fake internet lender.

dmcallister Granger, IN

I will never use them again. I used this company for a loan previously in the year. Good experience, and I even paid the loan off early. Fast forward, I apply for the exact same loan again and am denied. I have a 766 credit score and a debt to income of 25% (homeowner). I make 70k a year and have well over 10x assets for the loan request. They could not give me any legitimate reason as to why, other then "debt to income doesnt meet standards" or "income doesnt meet standards" I will NEVER use them again.

Ann New Port Richey, FL

Horrible!!!!! 0 stars! I have a beautiful credit and have plenty of money! Yet, they denied me twice for not having a sufficient credit score and finances!?? Not doing their jobs correctly and pissing people off in the process. My frustration will be written everywhere! If u are reading this... do ur self a favor and and save ur self the time and frustration... Find another company!

Pool Loan Chico, CA

Poor customer service and rude. Do not use these folks, shop around for your loan, there are much better lenders out there.

Deborah K. Patchogue, NY

I applied for a credit card consolidation loan and in 2 days the money was in my account. I was very pleased with the easy process and how quickly I was able to get the funds. I got a good interest rate and an affordable monthly payment and will be debt free in 48 months! I highly recommend LightStream!!

Betty Boop Port Charlotte, FL

Very poor customer service and even on the rude side. Way too much red tape to process a simple loan. Incorrect information in final paperwork.

John Malloy Levittown, PA

Home Improvement loan. Applied at 10am, faxed pay stubs in at 1pm and got the approval at 3pm. Absolutely no hassle. Set up a disbursement date for when the work will begin and set a payment date for the 15th when we get paid. Couldn't be happier.

Matt Hurley New Port Richey, FL

Horrible OVERALL experience! The process of getting money is simple, but then it goes downhill from there! You will regret it!!! Min $100 payments only, some payments take up to 4 days to pull while YOU get charged daily interest! $100 - (4x $20= $80) = $20 payment.. They don't tell you this while applying! We called in last week for the final payoff amount, logged in that evening, clicked "make final payment", and here we are, still have a loan with lightstream 7 days later, waiting for another manager to call us back next week (still being charged interest)! The rep today said we could make ANOTHER final payment and ask for a refund later! HAA!! What a joke!

Mr P San Antonio, TX

Lightstream is the best, are you kidding me. Super fast answer. Same day funding. I have used them many times. Never disappointed. I always pay the loan off way before the maturity date. I would not use anyone else but Lightstream.

Adam Bagwell Tuscaloosa, AL

Don't use LightStream. Rejected my loan for the wrong reasons. Wasn't approved nor did they call me.

Celeste Evans, GA

STAY AWAY! My husband and I have banked with SunTrust for over 40 years. The original account was opened when it was Trust Company Bank of Georgia. We've had several vehicle loans and even one of our mortgage loans was with them. Our original vehicle loan was paid by us (there wasn't autopay at the time) on time, every time. After that, every loan was autopay, therefore guaranteeing no late payments. Anyway, we both have very good credit scores and since selling our last house in July 2018 and both of our vehicles having been paid in full for several years, we have zero debt to income. He makes well into six figures (plus bonuses-which we didn't include, since it is not guaranteed income). Between the two of us we have 4 major credit cards that are paid in full and on time every month. There is literally zero liability for this loan and yet we were DENIED!! In the past, we've always gone into our local branch and worked with a loan officer but because my husband was out of town this week, he called Suntrust. He was guaranteed this loan due to our relationship with the bank, but was told that this is the way SunTrust does loans now. He had no reason not to believe the person on the line. What a liar. Needless to say, our business of 40 years is not coming to an end. We're going back to banking with the smaller banks that actually care about their customers, like Trust Company aka SunTrust once did. SunTrust, you are doing yourselves no favors by backing this horrible company. Shame on you!!

Ellen Hackensack, NJ

Unless you have a 750+ score DO NOT apply. They will deny you and then sell your information to predatory lenders who will robo call your cell within one hour of your denial. DO NOT APPLY here.

Calette Grant Mullins, SC

The wanted me to send money. I did like a dummy and still wasn’t approved. They wanted me to send more. Never got approved and I told them to cancel my application and refund me now I’ve been blocked. Lawyer up time!

Ryan Carbondale, CO

Extremely crappy company. Skip this one and try to go somewhere else if possible. They will ruin your credit score if you do not qualify.

Adam Montano Tucson, AZ

All they are good for is causing damage to your credit score.

Nick Altizer Spring, TX

It seems that Lightstream is really only looking for very credit-worthy borrowers. They appear to look at not only your credit score but also your financial position, which is probably why their rates are some of the lowest available, and also why some with high credit scores may not necessarily get approved. Since they do a hard credit pull, you probably want to make sure that you have a great credit score, long credit history, demonstrated ability to save money, and - likely - a position that indicates that you are not in financial stress. My goal was to consolidate a couple of loans in such a way that allowed me to more easily meet a financial target 10 to 12 months away. As I read reviews, this appeared to me to be the kind of client Lightstream is looking for, at least in the way of debt consolidation loans. They fund loans for just about any need including boats, classic cars and aircraft. They say they don't do cash out refis or educational loans. The process was dead simple. It took about 10 minutes to fill out the application and within one business hour I had an email requesting a photocopy of my DL to verify my identity. That was it. And within a business hour of submitting that, the loan was approved at the advertised rate for the amount requested. It took another 10 minutes to complete the documentation process - all done online. In the documentation process, Lightstream offers the borrower a choice of funding dates as well as the date payment will be due. It really was as simple as they advertise.

DAVID RUSSELL Portage, MI

The ONLY place that didn't have automatic declines that communicate with every consolidation company. I have a 730 score and every other place tried to get me to do a program that would destroy my credit with late pays. Lightstream is the easiest and will reap the benefits of my flawless pay history. Too bad to all of those other companies

Mark D Cedar City, UT

My credit score was over 800 but my interest rate was over 10%, nowhere near the low end they advertise. It was a 60 month loan but I was able to pay it off after 13 months. When I tried to pay it off, on Oct 1 their website would not let the payoff take place until the 3rd, after they had taken out the monthly payment. Then they added another $8.65 in interest from the 2nd to the 3rd. It does not seem like much but if I can pay on the 1st they should not try to squeeze 2 more days and charge more interest. Legal thieves.

Rita Woodstock, MD

I currently have 2 loans with lightstream. $20K and $12K. Loan term was 48 months on both. Loan 1 paid off in 19 months. Loan 2 paid in 9 months. Called to do a home improvement loan for $15K and they turned me down!! Wow...Never been late. Credit Score is 788...You just lost a very good customer!!

NBB Irving, TX

This is the worst company I have ever seen .I have 772 score .In the soft pull they had showed me an offer .But they have rejected my application and made a hard inquiry. Stay away from this company.

Heather Trenton, NJ

Discussion ended when i was asked for the username and password for my bank account!

Claud323 Hesperia, CA

Easiest and smoothest loan i have ever applied for. Approved within the hour and could've had funds deposited the very same day. Most other companies were charging me 17% interest or flat out not approving my loan even though my credit was at 720 with no neg marks and make 55k. Don't know why many have been rejected but might be because some are lying.

Mark Plano, TX

I got a loan for 24K to refinance my Harley. I almost did not apply after reading the bad reviews. Glad I did. My FICO is 753 and salary 110K with clean credit report. Lighstream also asked for my current bank balance and investments balance. ??? Regardless, applying was painless and the funds arrived the next morning. Couldn't have been better.

Blake Austin, TX

This appears to be the best place to complain if you can't get LightStream to give you money. I requested a small loan of 10k, make 40k a year, and have a 760 credit score. No run around, was approved right away and the money was in my account the day I scheduled it. I have been rejected everywhere else because I only have 2 years of credit history. My credit union that I've been with for 15 years wouldn't give me a better rate so I'm pretty happy with LightStream. If anything changes with my experience down the line, I will come back here and change this but right now it couldn't have been easier to get the money I needed for a car.

ean Pomona, NY

Was denied . Reasons Insufficient income. 2,Serious delinquency.3, Collection .4, Lack of recent credit repayment history. all lies. credit score is 720,have 6 accounts never late. no delinquency.

DEG La Junta, CO

They give the impression that you will be approved after they do a soft pull, and encourage you to apply. After the hard credit pull is done, I am denied. My credit is in the mid 700's. Would not waste the time of day to apply with them, they are not worth it!

max Steel Texarkana, TX

The company does not do as they advertise. They lure you in with good rates and an easy application process . Then turn your information over to other companies after denying your application. Read the reviews. They're pretty much spot on.

EastCoastBoast Rolesville, NC

775+ 30yrs of good credit not one late pay and want me to show pay, retirement, cking ,savings, stocks, bonds for a secured auto loan? Paystub and and credit pull understandable the rest waste of time, insulting. Other financial aval with lot less drama.

Nathan Dallas, TX

I applied at Lightstream and was approved for a new truck loan. The rate quoted was 6.49% on a new vehicle. I took the next finance offer from the dealership at 5.74% then I refinance the loan the next day at StateFarm at 3.9% interest. Lightstream offered me a higher than average rate and I’m glad I did not accept their loan.

Richard barkley Rockaway, NJ

I have used lightStream for 2 loans for 10k each so easy get money fast highly recommended.

Jack Glenwood Springs, CO

Terrible company. I applied for a tiny house loan. I have no debt except for a vehicle, make six figures, and have an 800+ credit score. They turned me down and offered ZERO in the way of any alternatives or recommendations. This is by far the more unprofessional bank with which I have ever had an experience. Now my credit is dinged with an inquiry. This is not a user friendly bank for people interested in tiny homes and a minimalist lifestyle. They only loan to people who have a lot of assets. DO NOT TRY TO GET A LOAN FOR A TINYHOME WITH THEM!

AL Lugo Sorrento, FL

To start I have a 780 credit score with very little debt. Two credit cards with a $ 25,000 limit . One card has $1,500 balance the other $ 1,800 balance my other cards are paid off over $150,000 equity in my $400,000 house . I take great pride in having good credit and protect it with all i have. I make well into the six figures a year and light stream turned me down for a pool loan!! I have never been so angry in my life! I would not have applied had I known their track record. Don't apply with Light stream as chances are good you will take a hit on your credit score. Again, I have excellent credit with little debt and the turned me down. They are a waist!!

John Mobile, AL

Not sure what the rest of these folks are talking about but Lightstream was the easiest loan I’ve ever obtained at an incredible rate! 770+ credit score, debt to income 17% and make just under $120K so I wouldn’t consider it to have been a risky loan at all for them, but I am younger and don’t have 15+ years credit history like a lot of banks wants to see for a lower rate on an unsecured personal. Applied for $11K on a holiday and received an email of approval back within 10 minutes. Filled the rest out for my part and selected to have the money 3 days later (after the holiday weekend). Showed up this morning! 5 star experience easily!

Carol Indianapolis, IN

Have used Lightstream for 2 loans now. Both times have been a VERY smooth, easy, and fast process. So fast, in fact, that funds were approved within the hour! I highly reccomend this company.

P_1275 Spokane, WA

Preapproved, so I finished the application to be rejected. Thanks for nothing!

MT Arlington, TN

They sent me a preapproval, and a rate range. I went ahead with the full application and agreed to the HARD credit pull for this reason and they denied me. I'm disgusted. I would never have applied and agreed to that if they hadn't pre-approved me. Nothing changed! Disgraceful behavior.

Vandaln Lowell, NC

Everything seemed promising but... I was applying for a loan I wanted to purchase through private party. But because the seller was still financing the car Lightstream didn't want to continue with the application. First of all, I never heard of a bank/credit union denying a loan because the seller had a loan on the vehicle. Just give me the money, I pay off their loan and give them the difference. Simple and every other loan provider does it. Second this information should have been displayed easy to see before I gave the company all my personal information. Customer service was like oh its is in our FAQs section... I'm not going to go digging around your FAQs for a question I never knew I had to ask in the first place. Bottom line: If trying to finance a vehicle through private party deal go somewhere else, and listen to all the other reviews.

karthik Mountain View, CA

They are such a waste company. Dont trust. This company is scam. I repeat .... total scam. If you want your good credit history to go down without processing loan, then only apply loan. I have credit of 800 and 200k Still denied. Never late paid or my debt to income is over 50%.

Robert Mechanicsville, VA

I received mailing from LightStream, trading as part of SubTrust, offering loans to reduce the rates on higher rate cards via debt consolidation loan. I have a middle 700 credit score, pay all of my debts on time and yes, I have a few credit cards. I applied for the loan to be able to make 1 payment a month in place of multiples. I was immediately denied because I have credit accounts and they have balances on them. This is crazy to offer debt consolidation loans and deny because the applicant has debt. The only thing I got was a hit on my credit score thanks to their hard pull on my credit. I would never use LightStream and I would even question using SunTrust, as they gave LightStream my information for contact.

Seantai H Sarasota, FL

Horrible customer service and underwriting team. NFCU gave me a better rate, term and conditions and pleasant services.

Summer Hunter Sarasota, FL

This company does not have the best customer service for clients. They to do not make you feel completely secure with proceeding into a loan agreement. There underwriters request too much for a small approval rate. I received a better rate, loan terms and amount; plus better customer satisfaction with NFCU. I would not recommend Lightstream for a loan in anything.

Jim Minden, NV

I was turned down for a loan with a credit score of 744 and a very good income.

Liviu Stoica Phoenix, AZ

Horrible service. Liars. They will not match your lowest rate from other lenders. I have it all in writing. These guys will try to squeeze you. Stay away.

Buttapecan24

Their underwriter are horrible. They only approve you for half of your annual salary amount. I went through all the hassal of trying to give them documentation to still only give me a low approval loan. My credit is 770 so if you have an annal salary of 46k you will only get approved for like 22k. Also, they customer service are not all on one accord. Definitely would not recommend this company to anyone!

D Rakes Huntington, WV

I was told my loan amount would be in my by morning after my verification went through and nothing has shown up. On top of that I received an email from my bank that a purchase i made the end of Feb was being investigated since I asked, which I never did so.