LightStream

LightStream Logo

5.2

LightStream

LightStream offers APRs ranging from 2.19 to 17.49* percent with autopay

LightStream is a national online consumer lending division of SunTrust Bank. From the convenience of a computer or mobile device, LightStream offers its customers highly competitive fixed rate financing. The company advertises a hassle-free loan that rewards customers for their good credit and promises the best loan experience possible.

The Good

• Flexible Loan Terms
  • High Maximum Loan Amount
  • Direct Lender

Flexible Loan Terms

LightStream has many different loan terms available to customers. The maximum loan term offered through LightStream is a 144-month or a 12-year loan. There are also several other options for terms available through LightStream. Customers can select to have a loan as short as 24 months or two years. LightStream is flexible and allows customers to choose a loan term that best fits their needs.

High Maximum Loan Amount

LightStream is competitive in the loan amounts that it offers. The company allows customers to borrow as little as $5,000 or as much as $100,000. With such a wide range of loan amounts available, borrowers have the ability to select a loan that will best fit their needs.

Direct Lender

Unlike many of LightStream's competitors, all of the funding for the company's loans is provided directly in-house, which means immediate funding upon the close of a consumer's loan. This also means that there are no third parties involved in the process. The less a consumer's information is transmitted from hand to hand, the less chance there is of that consumer falling victim to scams, predatory lending, or other forms of illegal activity such as identity theft.

The Bad

• Fund Stipulations
  • Minimum Credit Score
  • No Peer-to-Peer Lending

Fund Stipulations

Once a customer applies for a loan, LightStream has a team of underwriters that carefully look into the details of both the loan and the applicant. Same-day funding is possible if someone applies, is approved, and chooses a funding date by 2:30PM Eastern time.

Once the funds are made available, customers receiving loans through LightStream have 30 days to move the funds into their personal bank accounts or the loan application is cancelled. In addition, funds must be used specifically for the reason stated when applying for the loan or the loan is void. These are basic terms of the agreement and apply to each and every loan processed through LightStream.

Minimum Credit Score

LightStream requires borrowers to have a minimum credit score of 680 in order to qualify for a loan. This is relatively high in comparison to other online lending companies. However, LightStream does claim to be a loan company that rewards its customers for excellent credit. This could be the reason behind the required good to excellent credit score requirements for all LightStream loans.

No Peer-to-Peer Lending

Peer-to-peer lending is becoming increasingly popular. However, LightStream does not offer this option. Instead, the company is the online consumer lending division of SunTrust Bank. Customers looking for a peer-to-peer loan will not find it with LightStream.

The Bottom Line

LightStream offers an impressive array of features and is backed up by SunTrust Bank, which is a strong company. LightStream is ideal for individuals with credit scores of 680 and up. However, consumers with little to no credit will have a difficult time receiving a loan from LightStream.

*The APR rates listed in this review were current as of September 2018. Please visit LightStream's website for the most up-to-date rates.

2.7

Micaela Deegan
September 18th, 2018 Vero Beach, FL DETAILS

My significant other and I applied and were approved for a personal loan through LightStream, a division of SunTrust. We used the loan for debt consolidation of our credit card balances, we were loaned $30,000 plus $105.70 doc stamp fee for a 5 year term at 13.34% interest with monthly payments equal to $690.25. The loan was funded 5/15/18. We made our first payment 6/26/18 for $150, which was applied toward interest only, this payment was in excess of the monthly payment which was made on 6/28/18 for $690.25. We made our second payment 7/25/18 for $160, which was applied toward interest only, this payment was in excess of the monthly payment which was made on 7/30/18 for $690.25. We then made a payment of $10,000 on 7/31/18, only $10.69 was applied toward interest the remainder, $9,989.31 was applied toward the principal. The next payment we made was to pay off the balance on 9/10/18 for $19,384.64. The principal balance of $30,105.70 plus $969.44 in total interest has been paid, but this company insists that I still owe them INTEREST towards the loan!

Nikole Trout
September 18th, 2018 Denver, CO DETAILS

Great rate, easy to deal with, quick experience. Almost all online, one phone call to confirm identity, rep was polite and efficient. A+ experience!

Jack
June 12th, 2018 Browns Mills, NJ

horrible company. I have no debt except my mortgage with 800+ credit score and they would not approve me. Don't waste your time with these idiots. Go to a reputable bank

Sonja
May 18th, 2018 Lilburn, GA DETAILS

Bad experience during trade of automobile. The new finance company took 32 days to payoff my loan and they still reported it to my credit bureau. No flexibility even thought my loan was paid early and on time throughout the life of my loan and I’ve been a SunTrust customer over 20 years and my mortgage is through SunTrust. I was expecting more loyalty especially when the late pay was no fault of my own. I won’t be doing business with them again.

David
March 19th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

I have had 3 loans with them. I am on my third right now... I can honestly say this company/loan program is AMAZING. This is a unsolicited review, and a very accurate review at that. I was nervous about taking out my first loan. I took out a 5k loan to help pay for my wedding. Their rate was awesome, and their online website was SUPER easy to use and user friendly. I paid that off... I then decided to take out a loan to pay off cc. The rate I borrowed CRUSHED my CC rates. paid that off, and then decided to do a remodel with my home. I am paying this off. What's nice is... if you over pay it reduces what your monthly payment can be. It was EASY to get all 3 loans. Took no more than 10 minutes, and once linked up with my bank account it was signed up for auto draft. EASY PROCESS. I love this company. If your looking for a loan... this is the place.

D Gardner
February 27th, 2018

Total BS/scam company. Do not use them. I wanted to get a credit card consolidation loan and have never been late ever with any payment and they would not give me a loan. Lied about doing a hard pull and wanted to know what I bought with my cards. I provided more than enough documentation with all my available finances and they still would not approve it.

barry
November 20th, 2017 Hull, TX

Their idiots by email, perfect credit, 15 minutes denied. Its funny my credit score is higher than theirs. Trashy company. Do not go there. BEWARE they will ruin your credit rating running it several times.

Art
November 1st, 2017 Layton, UT

Worst experience ever! Do not waste your time unless you have perfect credit ( low risk) in which case you don't need a loan from Lightstream. All it got me was a credit inquiry on my credit report.

Victoria
October 25th, 2017 Surprise, AZ

In June 2017 I applied for a personal loan and they declined me simply because they wanted my husband on the loan too. However Sofi immediately approved me (without hubby) for $30k and within 4 days the money was in my account. Won't bother with Lightstream/SunTrust again.

Damon Wilson
October 9th, 2017

Received a loan for a 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR through Lightstream and it was one of the most painless processes of any of my previous car loans. I received a decent rate as advertised with a 760 credit score. Once all documents were submitted I had funds in my account within a few hours. I was pleasantly suprised with how easy the process was that I am considering refinancing my other car loan through them.

Jerry n
August 9th, 2017

Worst experience I been through. No number to call HIGH credit scores I own all my asserts. No one calls you. Only respond by email customer service is bad. They PULL your credit multiple times lowering your scores. SunTrust needs look at lightstream and fire this terrible company and do it in house Sun trust or another 3rd party affiliate light stream is not trustworthy at all.

Mrs Phil
June 30th, 2017 Philadelphia, PA

Applied for a pool loan, approved and secured funds within the same day! Delivered just as promised. The process was the simplest I have ever experienced when applying for a loan. The only down fall is you can't claim the interest on your taxes.

TheCudaGuy
June 19th, 2017 Piqua, OH

I'm buying a classic Chrysler muscle car and was having a hard time securing reasonable auto loans through banks I've dealt with for years. I applied to LighStream with a score around 730 and was approved after answering 3 brief questions over the phone. Honestly the process was so incredibly fast and easy that I'm HERE reading reviews to figure out what the scam is... The only complaints I see are people getting denied, but for whatever reason, I'm not in that boat.

SuperCR45
June 5th, 2017 Winchester, VA

I'm super sad i applied for a used car loan and got denied with a credit sore of EQ-750 & EX-715 with the minimum of a 5,000 dollar loan

Nifer
April 19th, 2017 Sun Prairie, WI

Great experience with Lightstream. Auto loan approved right away and money deposited in our account before we even found the car. Lowest interest rate we could find anywhere. So convenient to check our balance anytime and make extra payments on line. We will be using Lightstream again in the future.

hockeyeast
April 17th, 2017 Plattsburgh, NY

Pretty flawless on a small 7K loan. Interest rate can't be beat, after screwing around with local banks getting denied time after time with a exceptional credit record , lightstream was refreshing. Just simple and worked.

Sean Orsburn
April 5th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

I have had one auto loan through LightStream, and just applied (and was approved within an hour) for a new loan. I noticed all of the crybaby reviews on here, and just wanted to help balance it out. Their process is quick and simple, and always offered rates well below what my local credit union (of which I have been a member for nearly 30 years) can offer. Additionally, LightStream will finance vehicles older than 10 years, which is hard to find with banks and credit unions. If you have good credit and adequate income, this is a great company to use. I can only speak to auto loans- not sure about any of their other products.

Kenny True
March 30th, 2017 Greensboro, NC

Wanted to do an auto refi, have over 8k in equity, and 100% pay on time ratio's. Debt % is high, however with credit history over 29 years of on time pay, they declined. Their disclaimer say's they look at all aspect's, although obviuosly did not. I would have considered it a slam dunk, or a secured loan. I will never use this company as my debt ratio's reduce, and would not recommend any service from them.

Robert Smith
March 24th, 2017 Pomona, CA

Very disappointing not fair with credit decisions

ravellin
March 24th, 2017 Endicott, NY

Non-deliverers!! With FICO around 770, income well over $100k, less that 25% utilization, this ought to be a mere formality. Nevertheless, they declined application after responding to their "pre-selected" offer, leaving a "hard" inquiry on the record. Never seen such nonsense before, and it's by far not the first personal loan I applied for. Welcome to another blacklist, LightStream scammers!

VK
February 7th, 2017

Waste of time, wanted a pool loan for 65k had more than double in liquid assets available, kept hounding me for more info more documents, kept supplying. Credit score was close to 700, denied me anyway. Not really sure who's getting approved but they must not be borrowing much money and that's why they're approved. Its also true that they don't let you specify certain info and just judge off basic numbers. IE: Not counting that mortgages are paid through renters generating positive income.

JDM
February 3rd, 2017 Dalton, GA

Couldn't have been easier. Applied on a holiday. Approved on the holiday. $35K renovation loan approved within hours. Received the lowest advertised interest rate, competive with home equity loan. Easiest loan ever.

Douglas Jennings
January 19th, 2017

Very very impressed. Went very smooth and fast response to approval. I will tell others. Repeat customer right here for sure. Thanks again LightStream.

Reginald
January 11th, 2017 Newark, DE

Easy as pie! Very simple process. I got the lowest interest rate I've had on a vehicle ever. Extra buying power at dealerships when the money is already in the bank.

Isaac Moreno
December 13th, 2016 Whittier, CA

Fast, easy and great service. Best interest rate given for my last minute pool project. Got my $$$ same day without any issues. There email online service is the best so far I've ever dealt with. Only people complaining is probably the ones with real bad credit.

Divya
November 11th, 2016 San Dimas, CA

Horribly rude customer service over email. They advertise one rate but approve a different one by tricking you and saying that they will give 0.5% for autopay. Instead they up their rate by 0.5% than what any other institution is offering. The rude emails indicate that they either are tanking and at this point not looking for new customers, or their employees are so underpaid that they take it out on the customers. Either way, beware.

Jeff Hammerberg
August 12th, 2016 Indian Hills, CO

WARNING - LIGHTSTREAM IS HORRIBLE! Don't even bother applying to a company with so many negative reviews from people with outstanding credit! There is no personal experience - no "real person" to speak with, it's automated with very tight standards, even I don't understand! I have 800+ Credit / 100k income / Zero Credit Card Debt / More Money in the Bank than the auto loan I applied for, and was still denied!! (my credit union approved me in 30 minutes). My guess is they looked at three home loans on my credit report - not recognizing that two of the homes are rental properties generating positive income and just calculated my debt-to-income was out of wack... crazy that they don't ask for details - just a rude "your denied". This company is losing lots and lots of great business just by their "quick and easy" approach. I knew there was no way I'd get denied, so I was suckered into applying by their low advertised rates - don't you be a sucker too! Any credit union on the planet will give you a loan at low rates and you don't have to be a member to apply! I used Security Service Credit Union.

Brandon-Dawson Warner
June 28th, 2016 Northbrook, IL

I used LightStream for an auto loan and I couldn't be happier with the process. It took less than 2 hours for me to be approved for the auto loan. They funded my checking account within 24 hours and I was able to pay off my previous auto loan within 2 business days. My interest rate reduced by almost 1 and a quarter percent and I will save almost $2,500 over the course of the loan. The process was extremely fast and efficient. Their website is relatively simple and user-friendly. At the touch of a button, I can easily adjust my monthly payments and get a quick schedule of the payments until the loan has been completely paid off. That way, I can easily gauge how much interest I'd save if I were to make additional payments each month. Honestly, I can't imagine using any other loan service going forward. Please note they offer unsecured loans which means applicants are approved (or declined) solely based on their credit score and current substantiated financial position. Since it's an unsecured auto loan, the underlying item is not deemed collateral. The good thing about having an unsecured auto loan is that you, as the buyer, receive the car title immediately. Your credit score and financial position gives LightStream confidence that you will not only make monthly payments timely but also resist the temptation to put your car title down on the craps table.

Jean Laukant
May 23rd, 2016 Villa Park, IL

I had nothing but an excellent experience with Lightstream. Easy application process; no glitches or delays; extremely competitive rate; easy-peasy auto-pay system (my choice of payment date) with no problems. Never had to contact customer support, so cannot comment on that aspect: all was handled through secure on-line transaction.

Yelena
March 24th, 2016 Columbia, MD

Extremely rude. Spoke with Andrei who was upset because me and my husband share an email address. Continued to ask questions about my life and family that pertained nothing to the Loan. After an hour of arguing I told him to cancel the application. I've never set with such scum in my life!! Don't Use This Bank!