Zip Recruiter

Zip Recruiter

ZipRecruiter was founded in 2010 in Santa Monica, CA, by four guys who had worked together on previous Internet businesses. The user-friendly site gives account holders several mobile-friendly tools to manage the job search and hiring processes.

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Customer support
Price Range

Employers may test out ZipRecruiter's services with a 4-day free trial. After that, they must choose the package that best suits their needs:

• Starter (3 active jobs slots): $249month
  • Team (10 active job slots): $375/month
  • Company (20 active job slots): $576/month
  • Big Hiring (50 active jobs slots): $752/month

For an additional fee, jobs can get a "traffic boost" (guaranteed 100 more hits) or be listed on paid job boards like Monster.com and LinkedIn.

All of ZipRecruiter's services, including resume distribution, is completely free for job seekers, and that is expected to always be the case: "ZipRecruiter will never charge job seekers for anything."

Reach

ZipRecruiter's resume current database includes over 13 million job seekers. Over 640,000 new jobs are posted daily within ZipRecruiter's job board network (over 100 other sources) and social network.

Resources and Learning Materials

This site does a good job explaining how to "search smart" using various titles, quotes, and terms. It provides more guidance in this area than most other employment sites. Additionally, their blog contains employment education in within four categories:

• Job search tips
  • Interview tips
  • Career advice
  • Insights

One excellent article to search in the archives is titled "Your Most Productive Job Search Schedule," an extremely practical yet novel approach to finding a job.

Special Features

Job seekers will find ZipRecruiter to be easy to use, as it has several features that simplify the job search process. First, those with a LinkedIn profile can import their LinkedIn profile to ZipRecruiter.com as they build their presence on ZipRecruiter. They can sign up for listing notifications, track the status of their applications, and apply with a 1-tap system, linking their profile information with potential jobs. The job search bar works great, but the job browsing page is a great alternative as well. All jobs in the system that can be categorized are very simply and clearly laid out by state, category, and job type so browsers can narrow their search using the keywords most commonly used in each industry.

Employers can include pre-interview surveys or quizzes (free-form, multiple choice, or yes/no) in job postings so they can view individual responses alongside a resume. Another perk is the option of collaborating with team members to rate, organize, filter, share notes, and add labels to potential candidates-all online through ZipRecruiter. Candidates can also be exported to Excel.

Both job seekers and employers benefit from the resume database. While employers pay for this service, job seekers don't have to pay anything to opt in. Only paid employer and recruiter-identifying account holders can access this information. Resumes are well-formatted for easy downloading, printing, and sharing with colleagues during the hiring process. On the job seeker side, applicants don't have to spend time worrying if their documents have been seen, as resume views are updated under their application status.

Customer Support

ZipRecruiter makes it easy to get in touch with them for assistance. They offer live help through chat or phone (877) 252-1062 from 6am-6pm Pacific Time daily. Questions can also be answered on the Twitter account @ZipRecruiter.

The Bad

Experience

ZipRecruiter was founded in 2010, so it is one of the newer companies in the job search industry.

The Bottom Line

ZipRecruiter was definitely created with the job seeker in mind, just as much as the recruiter. The website layout is user friendly, live help is available, both searching and browsing options are intuitive and clear, and the resume distribution system is mutually beneficial. There is a lot to like about this company, clients to at least test the 4-day trial before committing to pay for ZipRecruiter's services.

24 Zip Recruiter Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 14th, 2017 Ballwin, MO

We used Zip Recruiter for several months. We got some applications, but really only 1 of them was a person actually qualified for the position, and he wound up accepting a job elsewhere. We've had much more luck finding good people through sites like Indeed, Craigslist, and our own website. When I went to cancel my auto-renew, at first was told via a pop-up that I would have to call. I called and was going to be on hold forever, so I used Live Chat. The chat operator asked me why I was cancelling, then basically told me they'd have to have someone call me because they can't cancel over chat. Then why offer it as on option in the chat drop down? Person did call, but then she had to transfer me to ANOTHER person. That person did turn off my auto-renew, but the whole process did seem way more tedious than it actually needed to be. It was, frankly, annoying that I felt like I had to call to cancel so they'd have the chance to give me a sales pitch about why I should stay. I suppose this set-up of having to pay for a monthly subscription including a certain number of "slots" would be a good set-up for some companies, but we are a small business, and honestly, it didn't really work for our needs.

June 27th, 2017 Plymouth, MI

What a scam - we filled our positions and then removed the job postings. Noticed several months later that we were still being billed a monthly subscription charge. After we attempted to "auto-cancel" they made us call to actually cancel. Ridiculous. After wasting several more minutes while the phone operator "auto cancelled" our subscription. I demanded the refund of the 2 months we were charged in appropriately. They only agreed to refund one month. I can't believe that they believe this trickery is good for long term business success. We are done with Zip Recruiter - never again.

June 13th, 2017 Beaverton, OR

I found that their advertisement for a free trial was misleading. It left me feeling like I was a victim of a bait-and-switch.

3 0

June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I felt way too bombarded with daily emails from them. I unsubscribed quickly after signing up because I did not like all the jobs they sent me. Way too much. It is a good place to search for jobs but don't give them your email.

3 0

May 24th, 2017 Baytown, TX

As we have also been a customer for years we had 3 postings avaible to us for about $600.00 Per year. This price jumped to $ 3,000.00 per year! They only send an email to notify us of the change and did not get approval from anyone. Once we noticed the charge I obviously wanted to call and discuss the reason for the change. Customer service tried to tell me that they now are seen more widely yada yada yada. I asked how they justify a 500% increase! She (Emily) offered us to go month to month at $ 148.00 per month. That's still DOUBLE what we were paying! I told her that we would not be going forward using their service at that price. When I asked how many customers did she think she would be able to keep with this insane increase, she hung up on me. Great job ZIPRecruiter! All that money your spending on advertising lately is got to get paid for somehow. Guess your loyal customers get to suffer for it! I chose them because for a smaller company of about 20 employees the cost made since. Oh and they are now posting to FaceBook and others. Like we couldn't do that our selves. What a bunch of bull! I'm not your customer anymore Zip!

May 5th, 2017

I applied to over 90 jobs. Not one company reued with yes or no we are not intreated. It site is a complete scam that looks at other job site and replicates the job. And no one is hired. I applied to 20 jobs on other sites and got 4 interviews in less then 3 days.

April 21st, 2017 Greenville, SC

As a customer with Ziprecruiter for many years, then all of a sudden a 500%+ increase from $800 to $4500 p/year, they said they did it to all existing customers and that all their existing customers where complaining about it. Then they had me on Autorenew even though I wanted it to cancel once my year expired. They said you cant cancel autorenew until you want to completely deactivate the account. However once you deactivate you don't get access to the candidates that you have up. Also even when there was a month to go on my subscription, they wont let you post with 30 days left or less on your subscription. The only way you can get access to the candidates from previous Ad's you posted is to continue paying them monthly for a subscription. We switched to workable.com, its super cheap, is better than ziprecruiter. We just post on workable, have a widget for the ad on our company website. Then use a link in craigslist that sends the person to our website, which when clicked automatically uses workable. Exact same process we used for ziprecruiter. 99% of applicants came from craigslist anyways. The job boards on ziprecruiter was worthless.

April 18th, 2017

Great marketing, all talk no action. Scam came to mind several times during my subscription with zip recruiter. Go somewhere else for this service.

April 13th, 2017 Portland, OR

Well I guess zip-recruiter has to start somewhere, but it will take a long time to become as usable as Career Builders or Indeed if they are so sure of themselves that they aren't interesting in changing what doesn't work. I am constantly getting job listings that are not even close to my experience or interests. Others have had similar complaints and were told to use better key words. Unfortunately the key words "repair", "maintenance", "technician" or "electrical & mechanical" cover a large gamut of job descriptions from vehicle mechanics to engineering to property management. Obviously an imperfect computer algorithm is used to match up jobs to my searches that a person familiar with the trades would recognize instantly - other job listing sites work much better in this regard. The "auto-resume" function totally mangled my resume forcing me to completely re-enter everything manually. All job matching sites mess things up a little bit, but Zip-recruiter site made my resume completely incomprehensible. The Reference function that sends emails to prospective reference persons and asks them to write a reference does not work - when the reference comes back to your email and you try to use the link provided to post it you get a "file not found - 404" error. I tried to reach out to customer service and carefully explained what had happened and received an almost insulting reply "You can't do it that way" as if the problem was that I was too stupid to follow the simple instructions. I clarified that I did indeed follow those instructions and it doesn't work and was told that they recently "upgraded" their software so I need to use Chrome as a my browser. I do not use Chrome - I use Firefox, what is probably the most popular alternative to Explorer and told the customer rep to let me know when they got it working with Firefox. The customer rep responded "OK that's up to you" - which feels like a total brush-off. Basically the message I hear is "It is what it is - If you don't like the way it works we don't need you to use it".

April 10th, 2017

first problem was the lack of qualified applicants for me. The biggest problem was that when i canceled my auto renew the day prior to it going through it was stilled billed the next day. At that time I let that slide. I proceeded to cancel it again on the site. fast forward to one month later.... guess what, i was billed again. Went on the site to cancel the auto renew again. This time a popup came up with a number that I have to call and cancel. I proceeded to call the number and it was not sip recruiter. Thought i dialed wrong. called it again. Its someones house and they have no idea who zip recruiter is. So now I am canceling my credit card to get away from them. What a scam

March 8th, 2017 Largo, FL

Approx 30 days prior to 2017 renewal, we received an email notice entitled: Automatic Renewal Deactivated (No call in advance, no invoice posted to our account) Obviously, we called immediately to get a copy of the invoice in order to get it approved via a purchase order before the renewal date. The rep sets the stage for awful news (sounding like she was reading a script) then shares with me that "they have 'just' learned that there will be significant increase since they are discontinuing our level of program" and proceeds to quote a figure that is 530% higher than what we paid last year?!?!? Seriously, the decimal point isn't missing and it's impossible to make this up! When I told her that providing any corporation (much less a local municipality) with less than 30 days notice of such a draconian increase is unprofessional and inappropriate. In a cheery manner, she offered that we could decrease the level of service and that would run us ONLY 244% increase over last year. The company obviously has no interest in retaining clients or at least providing sufficient time for arrangements to be made to investigate another service. This is our busiest time of year and we must find additional time to vet new systems, pricing and implementation in less than 30 days. If you're considering ziprecruiter as a good option for your organization and you don't have unlimited funding for advertising ... stay away from this company.

January 24th, 2017

As a job seeker I really like this website. It is easy to navigate and has great job leads.

January 18th, 2017

Most of the jobs have been filled and thereally are lots of scams. I'm getting off of it quickly.

December 15th, 2016

Scammers are operating openly on zip recruiter. I responded to an ad for customer service reps. I got a letter from someone posing as the head of the HR department of this suppose it company Champion energy services. I replied to the email with the requested information. It looked funny from the start. Whoever these Indian scammers are they don't know how to read and write and speak English. They were offering $1800 a week for 18 hours work from my home office. I then received a further email from the scammers telling me that they would be depositing money in my account. The alleged Champion energy services had nothing to do with energy, It had to do with foster children or something of the sort. The second email many grammatical errors. They said I had been excepted. When I looked at their email the world champion had two eyes in it. They must think we Americans are stupid. I responded bye I responded by telling them I hope their children would be run over by a bus. Bottom line I tried to contact zip recruiter twice. They don't care. They don't respond. When you click the contact us tab you see a telephone number. This is totally useless you just get a recording and no way to leave a message. I emailed them twice concerning fraud and I get no response. Zipper critter does not care if their reputation is tarnished by scammers of the same sort that operate openly on craigslist. So buyer beware. There is no bedding and no reporting of scammers . Good luck

December 10th, 2016 Omaha, NE

They bait and hook the employer's then run ads that will have perspective worker's sign in with your facebook and if you don't upload a resume before you click thinking that there will be a form to fill out - WRONG! You just applied for the position with your facebook! What... yea! Wow! Unbelievable!! So I guess the employer is going to get a link to your facebook - That's it... So I suggest going out getting in your car or take the bus and applying in person before using these guys... they should be called "Zip trip recruiter"

December 5th, 2016 Anniston, AL

EMPLOYERS BEWARE! Once you cancel your job posting all of your candidates are deleted. They want you to download the list. Would have been nice if they told us that. Paid over $300 for one month, got a good number of candidates but have nothing to review now since they deleted all of them! I can get them back if I pay them. AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE!

November 15th, 2016 Beltsville, MD

As an employer....the leads are horrible, candidates don't even match my ad. Waste of money, I get more results off of Craigslist! You WILL be disappointed!

November 12th, 2016 Schofield, WI

We called all of the people who responded to the two vacancies we advertised for. The number of applicants was limited and of those, about 1/3 of them had phone numbers that were no longer in service. Only one of the other applicants called us back even though we called, texted and sent emails. The one applicant that we spoke with had absolutely no availability for a retail position and said "F*** you" when the manager told him he would have to work weekends! Absolutely NOT worth $250 a month. I would rather post the ads on various sites myself. We've had better luck with Craigslist and that is free or up to $25.00 an ad.

October 12th, 2016 Laguna Niguel, CA

Incredibly difficult to load a meaningful resume. They should simply load and pass along your word formatted resume, instead they attempt to "interpret" it and butcher it in the process.

October 5th, 2016 Pomona, CA

As an employer, I'm looking to keep costs down. That's why I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. This ain't it. $250.00 a month, for about the same number of qualified applicants as I get with a Craigslist ad for $50. Worse, is that they are more interested in selling you more BS products than helping fill your position. The ridiculous lengths the "service reps" go to in order to get you to empty your wallet is beyond shameless. AVOID!