Monster Logo

6.2

LAST UPDATED: November 12th, 2021
Monster.com's website is among the top employment sites as far as number of hits and it offers a number of services catered to job recruiters and seekers. Monster.com purchased the Jobs.com domain name in 2002. Visitors looking for a Jobs.com review, can find almost the same quality as Monster.com. Some things that set Monster apart are alliances with newspapers in major cities like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago, a focus on Twitter advertising, and sensitivity to accessibility needs on their website.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Experience
  • Customer support
Price Range
Premium: $399/month
  • 5 reusable job slots
  • 5 Twitter cards for social recruiting
  • 150 candidate targeted emails
The minimum commitment for a monthly plan is 90 days and the commitment is 12 months for an annual plan. A one-time standard job ad costs $375 and decreases in cost per job ad as more are purchased at one time. For example, if you purchase 100-249 standalone job ads, you get them for $130 each. However, by including a location and job title, Monster can present less expensive job bundles (depending on the location) with optional add-ons. A skilled or hourly job ad costs less at $119 for a 14-day job ad, but has fewer options included. Monster is constantly running special offers and promotions, such as buy one ad, get one free. Promo codes get the customer a certain percentage discount off.
Reach
Monster provides services in over 40 countries and its network includes 1,000 newspaper partner sites in addition to its own website, web network, and mobile apps. According to the company's daily stats, 35,800 resumes are added to the database every day, 6.5 million job searches are performed, and 5.1 million jobs are viewed.
Resources and Learning Materials
Monster's home page provides links to six different communities for job seekers: career start, healthcare, part-time, retail, technology, and transportation. Each community features blog articles, job listings, career advice, and tweets relevant to the industry or job seeking phase. This way, job seekers that fit into these niches have a learning center already curated with resources that fit their needs and goals. The education center for recruiters categorizes their resources into the categories of recruiting and hiring advice, workforce management, market intelligence, monster training, HR events, and small business. It features 2 free guides: a business hiring guide with basics on creating an effective job ad, and a guide to hire, engage, and retain millennials. Recruiters will find Monster's "best keywords" series especially helpful-these articles feature the best way to cater to job seekers in several specific metropolitan cities in the U.S.
Special Features
  • Skilled and hourly job ads: Recruiters can choose from over 300 job titles, modify a pre-written job description as necessary, then simply enter a company name, job location, and contact information to be matched with candidates (screening questionnaires and auto-reply emails are not available with this product).
  • Power resume search: Monster's matching technology finds matches based on search criteria, then ranks candidates according to how relevant and recent the specific qualifications are, improving efficiency in the hiring process.
  • Social exposure: Job listings can be turned into a branded tweet promoted to Monster's Twitter followers.
  • Resume writing service: Users can have their resume edited ($139.95+) or written and designed ($179.95+) within 3 days by a professional through CareerPerfect.com. Add-ons include cover letter help, interview follow-up letter, and bio.
  • Targeted hiring solutions: Monster gives specific recommendations and services for hiring job seekers in certain demographics or industries, including healthcare workers, government hires, military veterans, college students, and recent graduates.
  • Company profiles: Businesses can provide updated descriptions, photos, reviews (through kununu.com), news, and job listings on Monster to increase
Experience
Monster.com was founded in 1999 with the merger of The Monster Board (1994) and Online Career Center. The 1994 job database containing job descriptions from the newspaper was the first public job search that could be searched with a web browser. So though The Monster Board was an extremely simple, dinosaur version of today's Monster.com, we count the company as an impressive leader in the job industry.
Customer Support
Paid clients get on-demand support during business hours through live chat (Monday-Friday 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST) and phone communication (available Monday-Friday 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST at 1-800-MONSTER. In fact, all Monster.com visitors can chat with the sales team through the live chat or submit a help form to the service team.

The Bottom Line

Monster has a good handle on the online recruitment market. The company's bundle packages, standard purchase options, and frequent promotions show that they approach customers in a variety of ways-similar to their approach in recruitment.

3.5

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Was the first online job search engine that I ever used & loved it ever since! Great filters by qualifications & location. Must use if you are looking to branch out into a different job market.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

I've been using Monster for years whenever I am in need of a job. Although it has really improved over the years since it's early days, there are some pros and cons. Pros - it can help you write your resume, it allows you to check off skill sets, you can customize your searches. Cons - lots of fake job postings and any information you list will be taken by third party people and you will be spammed for all eternity. Like I applied for one job, then within the day I received 5 different calls from insurance, to fake job offers that wanted my social security number over the phone and a credit card number. I haven't used Monster for quite some time, at least over a year now, and I still to this day receive unwanted calls from people trying to sell me something or offer me a less than desirable job.

JW Hoffman, NJ

Monster been around for a while jobs offered depends on what you are looking for plenty technology good which is good respect company knowledge base of jobs

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

I feel like Monster is a little outdated but many companies use them. I've worked in HR for over 10 years and while we use Indeed more than Monster, it's still beneficial as some online users review this site for jobs.

Sharrerm Baltimore, MD

I would say the site was easy to navigate with many options to choose from when looking for and posting for a career. I was able to search by region and specific career or by general career grouping. I had many offers from this site. Monster is a very well used career opportunity finder I highly suggest!

bmc2z7 Columbia, MO

The layout of this website is sort of confusing, I prefer other job search engines.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

There are so many filters and sometimes the jobs I'm searching for do not appear by filter. There was so much on the website it was difficult to navigate.

Dave Spokane, WA

Monster has a lot of relevant jobs listed, but I was disappointed that none of the companies to whom I applied through Monster responded back to me. Maybe it was just me, but I do much better at getting responses when I deal with companies directly.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Moster is a giant of a job search tool. It houses information on available jobs on its platform and make job searching easier. Many time saving tools help users get better results. I have this tool as a must have job search assistant. It is comprehensive as it is intuitive guiding me to successful job opportunities.

Tomi Onikeku Tallahassee, FL

I used this site in my job search. It was easy to apply through the website.

Megan Roper South Jordan, UT

Monster was very confusing to use. You always have to read the fine print or you will be paying for something you didn't expect. I paid to post a job, but it was such a big hassle in the end so I just cancelled it. I will probably not use Monster again. But, I am grateful for their customer service who helped me get my money back after not being happy with the product.

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

Monster was a great site at one time to find jobs but then just became a site filled with a bunch of bogus ads for staffing companies who aren't even really looking to fill those positions but looking to increase their pool to pick from.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

When I submitted my resume on Monster I received tons of spam emails. I did not want my information to be public.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I’ve been using Monster to recruit employees for years. The website is very user friendly.

ISMAIL MUSOSI Kampala, 102

I was looking for jobs overseas, on browsing at monster, I realized that there were thousands of articles on how I can advance my career coupled to the several options I had. There are several tools I use to advance my job Search on monster. Thank you very much monster for the job listings, career advice, resume help and all the other tools.

Roxana Perez ,

I really like Monster. It is to navigate and always has relevant jobs to my search. I like their articles and handy tips, which I find very helpful. I believe that out of all the search engines Monster will be the one that I find gainful employment that I like.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Monster is an exceptional job search online platform. It has so many industries and a variety of skill levels to apply to. They can keep a resume on file to share with potential employers too making this tool very valuable.

Eric San Diego, CA

Sent out some Resumes to places I found on the site but never heard back from anyone. This of course is no fault of Monster.com and I appreciate sites like this that help people connect with employers. The interface was clean and simple.

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I used Monster.com a few times to find jobs when I was in college. I like their filter options and how you can find exactly what you are looking for by using those filters. Also I like knowing when the job was posted and how many people how applied for that position.

Prenisha Tallahassee, FL

Monster has one of the most comprehensive job search databases out there. Easy to drill down into areas of specialty, useful email alerts. I've used it a few times, getting my next employment through them.

Stephen Van Vactet Denver, CO

I like that I was getting responses back from putting my resume on there even after my resume was a year old I didn't like the user interface I thought that it made it a little too difficult to upload my resume

Tanya A Long Beach, CA

Great job search platform, but its almost too big! Too many jobs and you never know if they are still available. Saturated with too many applicants; its difficult to compete with so many resumes. But it has everything you need to find a job.

Brody B Orem, UT

I love the navigation on Monster's website for job search. Its hard to set yourself apart when it comes to job search engines but I feel like Monster is on the better half of services. It seems like many employers use Monster which makes it a great choice for Job Seekers. I would recommend giving Monster a try!

Sarah Rosencrans Portland, OR

I love monster I love the rest of the builder they really do a good job and help me find employment

moose72 Muncy, PA

ok job search site could be better i have noticed that not as many employers post here any more but you can find jobs on site if looking

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

I found Monster to be helpful in looking for open positions. They assumed salary information was pretty high for my market.

Phil Rockwall, TX

Good service all around. Easy to search and apply. Not going to send you idiotic assessments that just use your time. Highly recommend this service

Shridhar Dangety Prosper, TX

I used monster as Headhunter. Their database is elaborate In today's industry we need more deep search which is supported by monster

. Nashville, TN

It used to be the #1 job-seeking website, but too many deceptive job ads are posted there. I lost interest in this site and it has been YEARS since I've visited. The name of it was a terrible idea by whoever created it. Monster?? Really??

B A Hooper Mesa, AZ

Plenty of listing. Wide variety of jobs offered. Easy to use site. Successfully connected with several employers

Diana Miami, FL

Decent site. Shows jobs and sometimes pay of the specific job. Pretty user friendly but I don’t think it’s as popular as other sites like indeed and those popular sites I’ve found companies post most of their jobs

Kevin Liu Salt Lake City, UT

I went through the steps of updating my resume and uploading to monster and it was very simple. Their main page is very easy to navigate to look for jobs and post my resume for jobs.

Andy Vandros Rochester, MN

It use to be one the best job searching companies in the USA. Within past two years or so it offers almost for good leads, too far away or not related. I would imaging it reflects their prices increased for companies searching for employees. But I found no heal for over 2 years.

Sara Smith Riverton, UT

Used monster to look for jobs when I finished college and that was the place to find jobs. I found exactly what I was searching for, worked out great.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

I always used Monster in my job searches as they were most up to date and all companies seemed to be using them. Searching was easy and found a job using them.

Cristiana Orem, UT

I had used Monster a few times in the pass, but telling the thru after I started to use Indeed I never used Monster any more. The competitor it is more easy to manager and use.

Jorden Laird Front Royal, VA

I have uploaded a resume and searched for hours, and never had any luck hearing back from companies, and I had to often retype my resume even when I could successfully upload it to the site. I wasted a lot of time on this site

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

Being able to put your resume out there is really nice, but every time me or my husband have done that on Monster we always get sales people contacting us. It makes it a little disappointing when you are really trying to find a good job!

Diante Jordan Milwaukee, WI

Not the best help in my opinion, and bombards you with useless emails for jobs you didn’t ask for.

Eric Asare-budu Mechanicsville, VA

the posted my resume on monster and i had a lot of recruiters reaching out to me. I really like their service

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

Monster can sometimes show results for jobs that are not really available by companies. You always have to call and double check. Sometimes when applying through their website, the company does not receive the application.

Andrew Hyde ,

Monster was very easy to use as far as getting an account setup and getting work history organized. The problem was the job searches were spammed with repeat ads, work from home nonsense, and military recruitment ads. It was not worth spending the time digging through all the mess.

Jimena Gamboa La Feria, TX

I like looking for jobs here because it is a platform that is very simple to use. I quickly found jobs in my area and was able to apply hassle free.

Rosa and Carla Ruiz Corona, CA

Easy to navigate the page and look for jobs as well looking for candidates, i find this website to be worthy of your time

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Monster floods my email with information that isn't always relevant to my profession. I keep trying to unsubscribe to the email blasts, but for whatever reason I can't get it to stop. Plus, I feel like I can never find jobs that are good fits for me.

Melissa Carreno Mesa, AZ

monster in my opinion has taken the back seat to all these other job search tools out there now. Their online website is okay, its just outdated and more inconvenient than most other job searches.

Karen Anderson Lindon, UT

I found my medical assisting job through Monster.com. I love my job. The Monster website is very easy to navigate and kept me excited looking for a job.

Anne Starley Mukilteo, WA

On the job hunt recently and used Monster among other sites daily. They were great at finding relevant positions near me. Recommended!

Kimberly Reynolds Church Hill, TN

Good Companies that are signed up to help find a job

Morgan Durango, CO

Monster Resume search is completely worthless, they fail to market themselves in the tech industry and I haven't found one decent candidate on their resumes board in over a year. Would never recommend.