Glassdoor Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: January 7th, 2022
Glassdoor is a company review and employment business with a database of over 8 million company reviews, salary details, interview questions, and open job listings. It was founded in 2007 to help people make more informed career decisions by increasing transparency about compensation and other previously taboo information in the workplace. The company is headquartered in Mill Valley, CA.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
Price Range
Glassdoor's services are free to job seekers. Pricing for job posting on Glassdoor is location based. Posting in a smaller city tends to be less expensive than posting in a larger city because it costs more to drive traffic to jobs in populated cities with many other competitive employer listings. The cost can range from $99 (for one job) to $499 (for 10 jobs), depending on the city and posting package the job recruiter selects. An exact pricing quote can only be obtained after filling out the job listing information. By signing up for a 3 or 10 job slot subscription, the client gets the first 7 days free and can cancel anytime-so it is essentially a free 7-day trial.
Reach
Glassdoor receives over 17 million hits monthly, and they have over 8 million reviews on their site.
Resources and Learning Materials
Glassdoor's blog for job seekers and employees contains articles that discuss:
  • Branding
  • Reviews
  • Salaries
  • Salary transparency
  • Watercooler
The blog for employers covers:
  • Customer success
  • Employee engagement
  • Employer branding
  • How to use Glassdoor
  • Industry trends
  • Job advertising
  • News and events
  • Talent acquisition
For employers, Glassdoor provides a detailed guide to responding to reviews, both positive and negative. This includes who should respond, tips to stay on top of reviews, and why bad reviews are good for business.
Special Features
The most obvious and unique draw to job seekers is Glassdoor's review database. They can access CEO approval ratings, salary reports, interview reviews and questions, benefits reviews, office photos, and other information that may shed light on a particular company. Aside from discussing a personal acquaintance's experience with a company, this is the next best thing. In fact, it might be better, as reviews are written by a number of people over a span of years, and may include company responses. Another feature Glassdoor offers is updates on current company and job trends by location, industry, and job title. Job seekers can see which jobs, companies, and cities are most popular based on what others are searching and sharing on Glassdoor. Employers enjoy five basic features with a free Glassdoor account:
  1. Update company information. This could include the number of employees, industry information, company description, corporate logo, photos, mission, benefits and perks.
  2. Manage reviews. Businesses can get feedback, both positive and negative, and have the opportunity to respond. Glassdoor offers a free guide to responding to comments in a way that shows the company values feedback and transparency.
  3. Gain competitive intelligence. Businesses can gain an accurate picture of which companies are competing for the same talent.
  4. Learn more about candidates. Employers get a demographic breakdown (gender, education, and years of experience) of visitors to their company page, which may give them an idea about who to target for jobs.
  5. See which jobs are being clicked on the most. Being aware of which jobs are most appealing to job seekers can help employers write better job titles and descriptions.
Beyond the free company page account, employers can promote their brand and actively advertise jobs to candidates. Services include integrating their profile into Facebook, accessing advanced analytics and benchmarking, and advertising jobs on competitors' profiles.

The Bad

• Experience
  • Customer support
Experience
The company was founded in 2007 after Rich Barton (co-founder) posed a question to Robert Hohman (another co-founder): "What would happen if someone left the unedited employee survey for the whole company on the printer and it got posted to the Web?" Experience-wise, the company is about ten years behind the first job search companies.
Customer Support
The company's customer support could use some improvement. There is a help center where users can submit a form to be contacted, but no email address or phone number is provided for job seekers with questions. A sales number is provided (888) 355-9323, but the recording encourages job seekers to "continue to use glassdoor.com." A live chat feature would be helpful.

The Bottom Line

Glassdoor is the best resource for getting acquainted with a company's culture, management, and employee satisfaction. Its review database is unmatched and can help job seekers create realistic expectations for working with a particular company. This information alone doesn't necessarily help someone find a job. But by following company pages, potential candidates can be made aware when jobs are available and be prepared by tracking industry and company trends.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

I use glassdoor to search for jobs and they are very good at having an estimated salary that is based on past employees, so you automatically know what you are going to be payed, and it is impossible to miss so you definitely know what you are going to be payed. I've used it to search for jobs in my area and will show me the ones closest to you. It also has a very good amount of jobs at least in my area. On every job I have looked at it has had reviews from past employees with a lot of pros and cons and a star ranking from all of them.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I always check on glassdoor for latest and newest job offerings and love to read the reviews of current and previous employees and it also shows you the avg pay/ salaries for that position in your area and other areas of the country. So informative

KG Lebanon, NJ

Love using glass door for salary comparisons it’s really helpful when you’re applying for jobs to know what the market offers for each position. It’s also helpful to get information from current or past employees about what they think of the company they worked or work for!

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

Glassdoor is a great value proposition and experience - offer your job background (a review, salary info, or other data that’s anonymized), and you get access to everyone else’s notes. It’s great, but knowing that low barrier to entry it does have a tendency to have companies try and pump up their own review scores, include inaccurate info, and also include many squeaky wheels without a balance in reviews.

Tate Huber Phoenix, AZ

I use Glassdoor every time I am looking for a new job and every year or so to make sure my current pay matches other roles similar to mine. It's a great resource.

Sarah Huda Los Angeles, CA

Given that their salary information is based on user data, it doesn't always have what you're looking for but is the only website that actually works on providing salary information (especially since employers won't tell you...).

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I like to look up jobs on glass door similar to mine to see what salary range I should be in and to see if I’m getting underpaid or how much I should request in an interview

Jaid Clark Yuba City, CA

They have great reviews of companies from employees that have worked there. You can find all kinds of answers to questions you may have.

Cece Valentine San Antonio, TX

Really good place to find jobs and careers. Sometimes when you send application through Glassdoor, I call the job place and said they never received it, so I send it again and they got it. But other than that, it has lots of jobs available and they send you emails of new hiring of specific fields you are interested in.

Nazjah Yates Tallahassee, FL

I used this app to help me find a job. Easy platform to upload your resume and give notifications for jobs you may be interested in. I actually received some calls back and they also show internships on here as well. I recommend it for everyone!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

Glassdoor has been a great way for me to get a job that I enjoy. I stuck out in a job I didn't like because I couldn't find anything else: Glassdoor opened doors I didn't even know existed for me. I would recommend Glassdoor for anyone looking for a job they would find fulfilling, yet still make a livable income.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

I don't think there is a better site out there to find out the true nature of a company you're looking to work for. Granted give certain reviews a grain of salt when it's 1 star or 5 star and feels like they were incentivized to leave the review. The 2-4 stars I find way more telling of the company. The interview questions are also super helpful

Glen2021 Houston, TX

I have been annoyed by the usability of the site. I have done research on their website regarding pay ranges, but I find it too vague. I have found a couple of jobs that sounded close, but then when I see the salary range, it is so different than my experience that I have lost trust in their process.

Prenisha Tallahassee, FL

One of the most comprehensive job search databases out there. Easy to drill down into areas of specialty, useful email alerts. I've used it a few times, getting my next employment through them.

WastedTalent Binghamton, NY

I like that Glassdoor has reviews frm employees, but it cuts you off from reading unless you post a review. I've posted reviews and it wants me to post more. How can I when I work for companies for 15+ years, I don't have many to review. Their job search is a bit sloppy. Plus, when you look at reviews, they're from all over the country and not the area you were looking to apply for and no way to weed them out.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Glassdoor is my go-to site for researching salaries in my field across various cities and states. I do not like that they limit your access to the site if you do not make an account, but the information I have seen has been helpful.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

Very useful. I use this site quite often when comparing jobs, salaries, and job descriptions. I love seeing reviews from others explaining their experience working with certain companies. It definitely gives you an idea as to what you may run into before applying.

Melissa B Sammamish, WA

Glassdoor is the best tool when it comes to preparing for an interviewing--or choosing who to interview with. When I see a job opening, I head to Glassdoor to read the employee reviews of the company. I want to know what current and former employees think of the company--what is the culture like? What are the benefits? Is it worth my time to interview? And if I do decide it might be a fit, the interview questions are very helpful. I can't say enough great things about Glassdoor. The best tool out there for interviewing!

Steve Colella Coraopolis, PA

This is always my first place to check for jobs or to research companies. They always have a wealth of information and reviews to read.

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

They make it so easy to be able to find jobs that you may be interested in and how others who have worked that job feel. I also like how people can leave how their experience was working somewhere. Really handy when looking to see where you want to work in the future.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

This is my go-to company for salary research and to read reviews before deciding if I want to work there. I also left a review for my former company on there because they were so awful towards their employees. I wanted anyone who was researching them to see my review. Hope it helped.

Andrea Thomas Bellevue, WA

Glassdoor was pretty simple to use online, but required you to sign up and fill in a lot of information before barely getting any information in return. Once you’re set up there’s a lot more to obtain, which is great. I didn’t realize glassdoor also helps with finding a job. I had come across glassdoor to look into salary information. I would definitely use it, but would warn people that if you don’t like signing up for an account, even if it’s free, then you may want to avoid the site.

Carnell Douglas Belleville, IL

I never found a job using this service but it does give you a good glass window in to numerous amounts of companies that’s very convenient

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Easy interface, listings and stats are almost always current, and I like the feature where you can look at past employee's opinions, it really helps me narrow what kind of job I want, and what kind of people I want to work for.

B Lemas Boise, ID

Glassdoor is an excellent site. I researched a company I was really hoping to work for but changed my mind when multiple real people said it was terribly managed. The fact that the management didn't care much about the employees and was just looking to sell the company was a huge red flag. Thanks Glassdoor!

G Kerth Portland, OR

I really appreciate the information Glassdoor provides. It is one of my go-to for researching companies, culture, benefits, salaries, and hiring processes. The website has evolved over the years with additional tools for gauging company culture but for the most part, has not changed too much. Could use an update

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Glassdoor provided so many employers and gave me an idea of their pay structure. I was able to compare salary of my current position at another bank out of state. They give you company reviews and let you see what people are actually saying about these employers before you apply with them. It’s definitely different from other sites.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Glassdoor is simply a rock solid job search engine. I've used them all and find that they have the best search tools and they display results in an orderly fashion. Great tools to help an applicant find and apply for jobs. And it seems that they have a better insight to companies looking for applicants. So many more job opportunities with Glassdoor.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Glassdoor has great information about the jobs I'm applying to including employee satisfaction and pay.

Carolina camacho

Glassdoor was not the most helpful site in helping me find jobs that I was eligible to apply for. The set up of their site was confusing and difficult to follow

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I use Glassdoor to look for a job. The website is great. And I love that you can read the employees comments about companies and see salary information.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

This is a decent way to job hunt but doesn’t seem to be as accurate with salaries ranges when you get to the actual interview. Pretty standard filter options but seems to have less results than some of the other job sites.

Gary Griffith Abilene, TX

Glassdoor website as a job posting site for applicants to review and apply for jobs often has outdated postings. The actual jobs available have often already closed for application submission. The post also is limited in job details and requires you to click a link to the company website for more detailed information.

Aly Houston, TX

When looking at employers I usually do a quick check on Glassdoor just to see if it is a mess...unfortunately to really get in the weeds you need a subscription. I'd rather just see ads or something than have to pay.

MM Largo, FL

I like glassdoor as far as the selection of jobs goes and ease of applying for them. But one thing I don't like is that when looking at company reviews they don't say in which location the person posting the review worked. This would be helpful to know since there are many locations for the dame company and they are all different.

Esther Haynie Dallas, TX

Hate how when I need to research a company thru reviews on Glassdoor I am asked to review a previous employer before I can look at reviews. I have complied and reviewed a previous employer and Glassdoor keeps on asking me for another review - I would not change my review and it seems crazy that they have no software to track the fact that I have already written review for the company they want me to review.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Glass door is a good website to get a little more information on jobs, but I’m always cautious when I would look at the reviews. I know that people are more likely to leave negative reviews than positive reviews, so I try to take those with a grain of salt. In any event, this is a resource I used in my last job search and found it as a useful tool.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I had to use Glassdoor for a continuing project in college that required me to research jobs and companies. I really like how Glassdoor is setup and the information they provide. Being able to see people's reviews of a company is a great idea. It's been extremely interesting to see what people really think of the places they work. I like that they also provide real salaries, real reviews on interviews and benefits. In the future if I am looking for a new job I will definitely use Glassdoor.

Kate Dallas, TX

I love Glassdoor. Not only has this company helped me find jobs, but I can also read reviews about companies from current and former employees. It is extremely helpful to get an inside view of companies before signing up to work for them.

Corbin Short ,

Glassdoor by far has the most data of any job search site. It was super helpful for me in preparing for interviews for a lot of different companies. As a job search function, it was less helpful because I was typically applying to jobs through company recruiters. But even if it is less helpful to you for finding jobs, it is still helpful once you have interviews lined up.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I like using Glassdoor for job searching because it does a lot of the searching for you. I put in my past jobs and left reviews for those companies and now it sends me available jobs all the time that actually would interest me. I like that the salary range is often included and that I can see how real employees thought about those companies.

ISMAIL MUSOSI Kampala, 102

After searching and browsing the internet for jobs, I landed on glassdoor.com. To my surprise, they had jobs for me. I literally had over 50 jobs I could apply for. When I made my choice on which applications I should make, I realized that there were tools that I could use to land an interview and hopefully get myself a job. At glassdoor, you do not just apply to a company, you can read reviews on the company, you can read interview questions and a lot more. Thank you all at glassdoor.

SaVedra O'Neal Kansas City, MO

I love Glassdoor. This is the best job search and lookup company on my opinion. You don't just see the company and their synopsis of their business. You get to review actual current and past employees opinion of the company. They give you the Pro's and Con's of their experience. Which I think is fair and vital to make the decision when applying for a job.

Brody B Orem, UT

Best Job Search website out there. The vast information and employee reviews gives any job seeker a great feel for the company they are about to apply to. I think this is what sets them apart from the competition. The resources offered on the website make searching for a job very easy and not time consuming. i would HIGHLY recommend Glassdoor to anyone looking for a job!

Jeff B Orem, UT

The information that Glassdoor offers to Job Seekers is next to none. Before you even apply for the job you can view what current and past employees have to say. This along with salary reviews can help anyone get a better idea of how their future could look at almost any given company instead of just rolling the dice. I have always had a positive experience with Glassdoor and would highly recommend to anyone in the job market.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Amazing service to find job openings and especially see others' salaries to compare.

Pauline Abernathy Tucker, GA

The company kept me involved with email leads that have helped myself and others as well.

Raven Brodsky New York, NY

Great place to look into salary information, but companies like to tell people those numbers are "inflated." As a person who has shared my salary and see the salary of my peers, I think the companies are lying.

hemant mahidhara Grafton, MA

I have used Glassdoor extensively to research companies and their culture before applying for jobs there or accepting offers. Gives me good insight into the working conditions and growth opportunities.

Bethany Rockville, MD

Glassdoor is very helpful for getting potential employer’s information. I usually search this website for interview questions, salary level, and employees reviews before interview or considering the offer.