Craigslist Logo

6.2

Craigslist.org is a well-known online classifieds website that began as an email distribution list in 1995. With headquarters in San Francisco, the small company manages to reach tens and millions of people around the world. 1 million new jobs are listed each month, including positions for hire with the company itself.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Experience
Price Range
It is always free to look for a job on craigslist. It is usually free to post a job as well, but there are some exceptions:
  1. Job postings in selected, highly-populated areas ($15-75)
  2. Brokered apartment rentals in the New York City area ($10)
  3. Therapeutic services in the U.S. ($10)
  4. Tickets by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
  5. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
Policies about pricing are subject to change at any time. The latest updates on fees can be accessed at Craigslist.org's site explaining fees.
Reach
The company receives more than 1 million new job listings each month. Presently, with all its categories (services, community, for sale, etc.), craigslist.org claims to have over 60 million people use the site per month - in the U.S. alone. Craigslist.org offers the ability to post a resume online, but many leading employment experts recommend against this practice due to privacy concerns. For this reason, as such as a job seeker, Craigslist.org is best used as an online classified resource rather than a tool for networking or self-promotion. For employers, the number of people who will see a particular ad will vary greatly due to the popularity of craigslist in the local area and particular market.
Experience
The company began in 1995 as an email list to advertise events in the bay area. As the number of subscribers and postings grew, the list soon became an avenue for employers to reach a large number of potential recruits. The website, complete with a jobs category and corresponding subcategories, was officially launched in 1996.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Customer support
Resources and Learning Materials
Craigslist.org doesn't offer any services such as resume templates, salary calculators, etc. and is designed to be used as a community classified service. However, to help their community members avoid scams, they offer tips and techniques to avoid a potential scam.
Special Features
Craiglist is lacking by way of special features that might add to a job seeker or job poster's success. However, some users might prefer the simplicity that sets it apart. Craigslist.org is a simple text-based site and loads easily and a large part of this is that there are minimal programming bells and whistles at play. As with many other job search sites, one can browse listings by category, search for specific listings, or browse all listings by clicking the "jobs" link in the column above the categories. There is some ability available to filter jobs which are telecommute, contract, internship, part time, non-profit or if there is a picture or title in the listing by selecting the appropriate radio box(es) on the jobs or any of the category pages. One can create a free account, in which past listings can be managed. This can help streamline posting for multiple positions and does not take the place of the posting fees in the markets which require paying for job listings.
Customer Support
Craigslist users are often dissatisfied with the customer service at craigslist. And it makes sense that a company of 30 employees struggles to monitor questionable content being generated by millions of users around the world. However, the company does have a contact form that customers can submit with questions and concerns. These concerns are divided into topics such as posting security, personal harassment, paid postings, etc. Phone support can be accessed at 800-664-0633.

The Bottom Line

Craigslist is notorious for scams, particularly in the employment categories, so the review team suggests exercising caution if applying to jobs through a craigslist page. The lack of learning materials and other additional resources or features also leaves much to be desired. Despite its extensive reach of potential employees and employers, the risks of relying on craigslist outweigh the benefits.

3.3

MindyV Lubbock, TX

There's a lot of spam on Craigslist. I don't trust this website at all. People also use this website to stalk and harm others. There's a lot of postings about how to "get rich quick" or work from home scams. It's ridiculous!!!!

Gina Marie Commack, NY

I am a huge fan of craigslist merely because you have everything at your fingertips also the security aspect is a essential tool when handling monies and people that are not known

Kyle Provo, UT

Super simple concept. This has entirely replaced the classified sections of newspapers. I bought my car from a craigslist ad. You need to be careful and smart, but there are awesome opportunities

Bryce Johnson Colorado Springs, CO

Craigslist is a decent place to apply for jobs. Most of the jobs are just copy/paste to keep the application on top of the list. Most employers are not very responsive, but sometimes you can find a gem. There are not tools that make applying or hiring easier, so most applicants are under qualified.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I have actually had some awesome jobs that I found on Craigslist. I think this way of posting is going out of style because I haven't seen any good jobs recently, but I do like how quick the process is when you find a good job to apply to.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

This can be a good place to look for local businesses openings but it is riddled with scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Look for ads that are up front with their business name and info.

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Up until recently, I pretty much used Craigslist to find workrs to help with some of my home projects or repairs. Not sure why or when their format changed, but now the only thing I see when searching are companies offerong their services, no more individuals avaiable.

Mari Clarkston, GA

Craigslist is a company that has been around for many years. I love the variety of post a person can make. You can post about your rental properties to selling furniture. I gave it a 4 star because I would like to see the company vamp up its webpage. But other than that I would recommend this site for posting pictures and comments of your items.

Steve Banks Jr. Seattle, WA

Craigslist has always been a value for me as I'm able to find whatever it is I need. My interactions with other's on the platform have always been positive which is why I continue to go back.

Brittany Alshawy Colorado Springs, CO

This site has it's ups and downs. But overall it's a quality site. If you focus on what you're looking for, and know how to watch out for fake ads/posts; it's a useful and effective website. You can pretty much find anything you need. It's also great for selling items, adopting out pets; and posting jobs. The prices seem fair too.

MARIXA GOLDEN Menifee, CA

I just love this site, Craigslist it just so helpful. I sold my car within 7 days, very great source for buying, selling or just giving away things. I got so many calls once I posted, free shed, and it was just great, to get rid of it within an hour.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

Love Craigslist, different sections easy to maneuver through the sections. Very accurate with ads.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We liked the quick flood of resumes that came in from placing ads for quick employees. The quality was a bit all over but there were some diamonds in there.

Phoenicia Cloud Rosamond, CA

Craigs list is not as easy to use as it used to be. I can still find things but there are a lot of people trying to sell in sections that are supposed to be for job seekers. When looking for a job I had a difficult time finding out if a company was just selling an item of legitimately looking for employees.

Thomas Moyer Las Vegas, NV

I love how many things you have on your website. Very useful for many things you need in life. Very easy to use and very easy to post. Great site to sell and find stuff your looking to buy.

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Craigslist is one of my favorite sites! It takes a little getting used to the format of the site, ut once you do it's easy to navigate and find great deals and job opportunities that are local in your community!

joe iovino Brooksville, FL

GREAT CURRENT LISTINGS,VERY ACCURATE REAL TIME INFO,MADE JOB HUNTING EASY AND PAINLESS

Ryan Falk ,

I found a great job on here. I will admit there were a lot of bogus ads to sift through but it still worked out.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have browsed jobs on Craigslist. It seems like they could update their site and I saw some repeats, but overall good experience.

Jason Zeller Glendale, AZ

This is my go-to for car sales. I’ve been using this for at least 15yrs and have found amazing deals as well as many sales. Craigslist is a staple

Roxana Perez ,

I really like Craigslist, but it is not always a place I would trust to find jobs. There are some jobs that just seem like a scam or an advertisement. Additionally, there is not always a lot of information about the company, so I do not get reassurance of who they are.

Josephine Hartford, CT

I hired Dan from do it all movers, he showed up with 2 other guys ready to work!! I've used big moving companies in the past, but these guys were some of the best movers I've had!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Nena McFarland Aurora, CO

I use Craigslist when shopping for any used product in my metro area. I have posted several items, including vehicles, and received quick responses. Some of the responses are scams, but they are easy to identify.

nicholas james vanderhoof Plattsburgh, NY

Its easy to post until they started charging five dollars. so now i dont use it much anymore to post, If i had friends or family i would just use facebook to post things

Matters Norfolk, VA

I tried finding a job through Craigslist a while back and ran into some weird people. Wish it was not as open to people who have secondary agendas. It is a good tool, but every user needs to be careful and smart.

Quen Wilson Ogden, UT

Craigslist is user-friendly and offers a wide range of services and products. I have found many good job listings on Craigslist and was able to purchase many valuable items.

Michelle Mason Belleville, NJ

Craigslist is the best. They have a ton of jobs they are always trying to fill and I've found a lot of decent jobs off the site over the years. Yes, you have to weed through some junk sometimes but that's like any site

RONALD SAINVIL Springfield, MA

Graiglist is an amazing platform. You can almost get whatever you'd like, and the platform gives you the opportunity to sell your stuff as well. Interesting !

MARIE-NOELLE MARQUIS Los Angeles, CA

I wish Craigslist was better at vetting their posts. I still think it’s a fantastic tool to use but unfortunately there’s been more and more scams on there in recent years. I used to rely on it all the time and now I’m more hesitant.

John Garcia Albuquerque, NM

Best place to post jobs, for sale items, yard sales, etc. Easy to use. Reliable. Great filters for finding what you want. Good variety of categories to separate goods and services

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Craigslist gets shady. There has been many times that I've applied for a job and my GPS lead me to an apartment complex which I did not go into of course. I think Craigslist could benefit from better security options. However, I have had two wonderful jobs come from Craigslist before that provided invaluable experience, so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Brian Scott Provo, UT

Craigslist is a good way to find employment opportunities in your local area. I have found quite a few jobs for my painting business through Craigslist and have also been able to generate traffic to my website by advertising on it.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I tried craigslist when helping my son look for job options and while there were a lot of listings to pick from it seamed as though quite a few of them were either no longer available or the jobs were not exactly as the description. I get that updating is probably the responsibility of the poster. it just took a little longer looking for something that was available.

Eric San Diego, CA

Wanna find a job while weeding through the nonsense scams that are posted. Craiglist is your place for good times like that. With that being said I have actually found employment a couple of times through the site...

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

I highly recommend craigslist for a job search. I am a stay home mom and was looking for something to do at home and are in money while my kids are in school. I was able to find that job on craigslist.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Craigslist - Job Search is the fastest way to find a new career. It is very east to use.

Michelle O Petawawa, ON

I used Craig’s list to search for health care related jobs and found it somewhat useful.

Kevin Liu Salt Lake City, UT

In my area craigslist isn’t utilized that much for jobs except for hourly positions or contract work. It isn’t really used for professional career recruiting for jobs.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I found a temporary job after school through a Craigslist post. Had to sift through a lot of sketchy ads. A high percentage of the postings seemed pretty spammy, but in the end I found a decent job that met my needs at the time.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Sometimes it is hard to know what is real and what isn't on Craigslist. I have seen so many fake ads that I don't have time to sift through what is fake to find the real ads. That is not fun. Their website is also not my favorite to navigate. I think it could use some work.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Craigslist can get a little bit shady sometimes. Some listings do not seem too legit. While its nice to use craigslist for little jobs here and there, it is kind of hard knowing when they truly need help or are going to do something.

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

Craigslist is a good place for finding entry level positions, at least it was in 2010 when I used it to find my current company. The posting on Craigslist helped me connect with a recruiter which helped me land a full time job with benefits.

JAKE American Fork, UT

We tried Criagslist for the hiring process for our business. It was ok but I probably wouldn't us it again. The quality of the specific candidates I was looking for was not specific enough for us and we didn't end up finding anyone that had the qualifications we needed. We chose to try another company.

Erika American Fork, UT

I have had an ok experience with craigslist. I feel like there is a lot of unknowns on there though. I feel like some of the quality is questionable. I wish there was a better way to vet the ads/services. I feel like some other websites are more useful for doing that.

FABIO CAVALCANTI Orem, UT

Although a free service, the interface is not good .. they are doing it for a long time and they should consider doing a face lift on their website.. I rather use KSL classifieds than craigslist.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Was able to find a part-time dog walking job in between full-time jobs. Really appreciate that you can find small, quick jobs for some fast cash when you need it.

Jami Schmieding Mesa, AZ

Ive used craigslist to look for jobs, you have to be careful and safe and make sure the jobs are legit jobs. Never go alone to the first meeting event just in case, but overall it was always a good experience.

Lindsay Fritts San Diego, CA

I actually used Craigslist to get the job I have now! I don't love the job search of cragislist, there are a lot of spam and things you have to weed through, but you can come across some really good positions!

Noelle Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Craigslist! So easy for me to find the job I need and I'm looking for! Almost every job I have gotten was from Craigslist, so it is very reliable!

Gail Salt Lake City, UT

Although seemingly outdated, I still always use Craigslist when looking for jobs, housing, etc.