Craigslist Logo

6.2

Craigslist.org is a well-known online classifieds website that began as an email distribution list in 1995. With headquarters in San Francisco, the small company manages to reach tens and millions of people around the world. 1 million new jobs are listed each month, including positions for hire with the company itself.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Experience
Price Range
It is always free to look for a job on craigslist. It is usually free to post a job as well, but there are some exceptions:
  1. Job postings in selected, highly-populated areas ($15-75)
  2. Brokered apartment rentals in the New York City area ($10)
  3. Therapeutic services in the U.S. ($10)
  4. Tickets by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
  5. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
Policies about pricing are subject to change at any time. The latest updates on fees can be accessed at Craigslist.org's site explaining fees.
Reach
The company receives more than 1 million new job listings each month. Presently, with all its categories (services, community, for sale, etc.), craigslist.org claims to have over 60 million people use the site per month - in the U.S. alone. Craigslist.org offers the ability to post a resume online, but many leading employment experts recommend against this practice due to privacy concerns. For this reason, as such as a job seeker, Craigslist.org is best used as an online classified resource rather than a tool for networking or self-promotion. For employers, the number of people who will see a particular ad will vary greatly due to the popularity of craigslist in the local area and particular market.
Experience
The company began in 1995 as an email list to advertise events in the bay area. As the number of subscribers and postings grew, the list soon became an avenue for employers to reach a large number of potential recruits. The website, complete with a jobs category and corresponding subcategories, was officially launched in 1996.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Customer support
Resources and Learning Materials
Craigslist.org doesn't offer any services such as resume templates, salary calculators, etc. and is designed to be used as a community classified service. However, to help their community members avoid scams, they offer tips and techniques to avoid a potential scam.
Special Features
Craiglist is lacking by way of special features that might add to a job seeker or job poster's success. However, some users might prefer the simplicity that sets it apart. Craigslist.org is a simple text-based site and loads easily and a large part of this is that there are minimal programming bells and whistles at play. As with many other job search sites, one can browse listings by category, search for specific listings, or browse all listings by clicking the "jobs" link in the column above the categories. There is some ability available to filter jobs which are telecommute, contract, internship, part time, non-profit or if there is a picture or title in the listing by selecting the appropriate radio box(es) on the jobs or any of the category pages. One can create a free account, in which past listings can be managed. This can help streamline posting for multiple positions and does not take the place of the posting fees in the markets which require paying for job listings.
Customer Support
Craigslist users are often dissatisfied with the customer service at craigslist. And it makes sense that a company of 30 employees struggles to monitor questionable content being generated by millions of users around the world. However, the company does have a contact form that customers can submit with questions and concerns. These concerns are divided into topics such as posting security, personal harassment, paid postings, etc. Phone support can be accessed at 800-664-0633.

The Bottom Line

Craigslist is notorious for scams, particularly in the employment categories, so the review team suggests exercising caution if applying to jobs through a craigslist page. The lack of learning materials and other additional resources or features also leaves much to be desired. Despite its extensive reach of potential employees and employers, the risks of relying on craigslist outweigh the benefits.

3.2

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

You can find anything that you are looking for on Craigslist including jobs in your area. You are able to narrow your search by area, key words or part to full time. There are job ads with pictures and without, with phone numbers and without and points of contacts. As a person looking for people you can keep it private and go through the site or you can put your info on the ad so people can contact you direct. Craigslist is definitely and easy way to find people to work.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Using Craigslist to find potential employees is both effective and affordable. While candidates are not pre-screened, they get to you fast so you can determine if they are eligible to move to the next round.

Sarah Rosencrans Portland, OR

Are you still have Craigslist until I started charging to post ads I think that is just ridiculous and now I never go on it

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

Horrible! The vast majority of job ads are scams to get your email and sell your information or to try to sell you something. There are also all sorts of people that are either backyard breeders who sell sick or stolen animals. Too many scams going on there to list!

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

With this company you can get job opportunity’s , adopt pets, buy things, etc. Something I dislike is someone on Craigslist can say they are selling something and when one goes to go pick it up they can be in a bad situation.

Mr Fields Turbeville, SC

It used to be a very useful tool. It become over saturated with craziness. It also use to be free to post ads, now it’s not.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

There's a lot of spam on Craigslist. I don't trust this website at all. People also use this website to stalk and harm others. There's a lot of postings about how to "get rich quick" or work from home scams. It's ridiculous!!!!

Gina Marie Commack, NY

I am a huge fan of craigslist merely because you have everything at your fingertips also the security aspect is a essential tool when handling monies and people that are not known

Kyle Provo, UT

Super simple concept. This has entirely replaced the classified sections of newspapers. I bought my car from a craigslist ad. You need to be careful and smart, but there are awesome opportunities

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Up until recently, I pretty much used Craigslist to find workrs to help with some of my home projects or repairs. Not sure why or when their format changed, but now the only thing I see when searching are companies offerong their services, no more individuals avaiable.

Bryce Johnson Colorado Springs, CO

Craigslist is a decent place to apply for jobs. Most of the jobs are just copy/paste to keep the application on top of the list. Most employers are not very responsive, but sometimes you can find a gem. There are not tools that make applying or hiring easier, so most applicants are under qualified.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I have actually had some awesome jobs that I found on Craigslist. I think this way of posting is going out of style because I haven't seen any good jobs recently, but I do like how quick the process is when you find a good job to apply to.

Mari Clarkston, GA

Craigslist is a company that has been around for many years. I love the variety of post a person can make. You can post about your rental properties to selling furniture. I gave it a 4 star because I would like to see the company vamp up its webpage. But other than that I would recommend this site for posting pictures and comments of your items.

Steve Banks Jr. Seattle, WA

Craigslist has always been a value for me as I'm able to find whatever it is I need. My interactions with other's on the platform have always been positive which is why I continue to go back.

John Garcia Albuquerque, NM

Best place to post jobs, for sale items, yard sales, etc. Easy to use. Reliable. Great filters for finding what you want. Good variety of categories to separate goods and services

Tracy Deleon Lake Wales, FL

Ok place to look,but most ads are scams or perverts. Just have to weed through them.

Brittany Alshawy Colorado Springs, CO

This site has it's ups and downs. But overall it's a quality site. If you focus on what you're looking for, and know how to watch out for fake ads/posts; it's a useful and effective website. You can pretty much find anything you need. It's also great for selling items, adopting out pets; and posting jobs. The prices seem fair too.

MARIXA GOLDEN Menifee, CA

I just love this site, Craigslist it just so helpful. I sold my car within 7 days, very great source for buying, selling or just giving away things. I got so many calls once I posted, free shed, and it was just great, to get rid of it within an hour.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

This can be a good place to look for local businesses openings but it is riddled with scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Look for ads that are up front with their business name and info.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We liked the quick flood of resumes that came in from placing ads for quick employees. The quality was a bit all over but there were some diamonds in there.

Thomas Moyer Las Vegas, NV

I love how many things you have on your website. Very useful for many things you need in life. Very easy to use and very easy to post. Great site to sell and find stuff your looking to buy.

Josephine Hartford, CT

I hired Dan from do it all movers, he showed up with 2 other guys ready to work!! I've used big moving companies in the past, but these guys were some of the best movers I've had!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Craigslist is one of my favorite sites! It takes a little getting used to the format of the site, ut once you do it's easy to navigate and find great deals and job opportunities that are local in your community!

Nena McFarland Aurora, CO

I use Craigslist when shopping for any used product in my metro area. I have posted several items, including vehicles, and received quick responses. Some of the responses are scams, but they are easy to identify.

Toni Purdy Bullhead City, AZ

Love Craigslist, different sections easy to maneuver through the sections. Very accurate with ads.

Phoenicia Cloud Rosamond, CA

Craigs list is not as easy to use as it used to be. I can still find things but there are a lot of people trying to sell in sections that are supposed to be for job seekers. When looking for a job I had a difficult time finding out if a company was just selling an item of legitimately looking for employees.

Jason Zeller Glendale, AZ

This is my go-to for car sales. I’ve been using this for at least 15yrs and have found amazing deals as well as many sales. Craigslist is a staple

Diana Miami, FL

Very popular site but not trustworthy at all. Too many scammers on here posting items and in addition scammers on the other end trying to scam people out of their belongings that they are trying to sell

Quen Wilson Ogden, UT

Craigslist is user-friendly and offers a wide range of services and products. I have found many good job listings on Craigslist and was able to purchase many valuable items.

Michelle Mason Belleville, NJ

Craigslist is the best. They have a ton of jobs they are always trying to fill and I've found a lot of decent jobs off the site over the years. Yes, you have to weed through some junk sometimes but that's like any site

Roxana Perez ,

I really like Craigslist, but it is not always a place I would trust to find jobs. There are some jobs that just seem like a scam or an advertisement. Additionally, there is not always a lot of information about the company, so I do not get reassurance of who they are.

RONALD SAINVIL Springfield, MA

Graiglist is an amazing platform. You can almost get whatever you'd like, and the platform gives you the opportunity to sell your stuff as well. Interesting !

Cody Castillo Tucson, AZ

makes finding jobs a little sketchy and you don't always get what you're signing up for

Jeffrey Edwards Sherwood, AR

For the most part ok but on occasions bought items that were non working.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Craigslist gets shady. There has been many times that I've applied for a job and my GPS lead me to an apartment complex which I did not go into of course. I think Craigslist could benefit from better security options. However, I have had two wonderful jobs come from Craigslist before that provided invaluable experience, so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Brian Scott Provo, UT

Craigslist is a good way to find employment opportunities in your local area. I have found quite a few jobs for my painting business through Craigslist and have also been able to generate traffic to my website by advertising on it.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I tried craigslist when helping my son look for job options and while there were a lot of listings to pick from it seamed as though quite a few of them were either no longer available or the jobs were not exactly as the description. I get that updating is probably the responsibility of the poster. it just took a little longer looking for something that was available.

Eric San Diego, CA

Wanna find a job while weeding through the nonsense scams that are posted. Craiglist is your place for good times like that. With that being said I have actually found employment a couple of times through the site...

Kristin G Pleasant Grove, UT

I highly recommend craigslist for a job search. I am a stay home mom and was looking for something to do at home and are in money while my kids are in school. I was able to find that job on craigslist.

. Nashville, TN

The site flags legitimate posts that are within their own guidelines. There is no type of chat support or customer service .

joe iovino Brooksville, FL

GREAT CURRENT LISTINGS,VERY ACCURATE REAL TIME INFO,MADE JOB HUNTING EASY AND PAINLESS

Ryan Falk ,

I found a great job on here. I will admit there were a lot of bogus ads to sift through but it still worked out.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have browsed jobs on Craigslist. It seems like they could update their site and I saw some repeats, but overall good experience.

Hyrum Sandy, UT

I found a temporary job after school through a Craigslist post. Had to sift through a lot of sketchy ads. A high percentage of the postings seemed pretty spammy, but in the end I found a decent job that met my needs at the time.

Breanna Jones Salt Lake City, UT

Sometimes it is hard to know what is real and what isn't on Craigslist. I have seen so many fake ads that I don't have time to sift through what is fake to find the real ads. That is not fun. Their website is also not my favorite to navigate. I think it could use some work.

nicholas james vanderhoof Plattsburgh, NY

Its easy to post until they started charging five dollars. so now i dont use it much anymore to post, If i had friends or family i would just use facebook to post things

Matters Norfolk, VA

I tried finding a job through Craigslist a while back and ran into some weird people. Wish it was not as open to people who have secondary agendas. It is a good tool, but every user needs to be careful and smart.

Phil Rockwall, TX

As for job search use this service is very sub par. Legitimate and confirmed jobs are few here

MARIE-NOELLE MARQUIS Los Angeles, CA

I wish Craigslist was better at vetting their posts. I still think it’s a fantastic tool to use but unfortunately there’s been more and more scams on there in recent years. I used to rely on it all the time and now I’m more hesitant.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Craigslist can get a little bit shady sometimes. Some listings do not seem too legit. While its nice to use craigslist for little jobs here and there, it is kind of hard knowing when they truly need help or are going to do something.