Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Craigslist

Craigslist Logo

6.4

Craigslist

Free for job seekers, Ability to post resume

Craigslist.org is a well-known online classifieds website that began as an email distribution list in 1995. With headquarters in San Francisco, the small company manages to reach tens and millions of people around the world. 1 million new jobs are listed each month, including positions for hire with the company itself.

#1 ZipRecruiter Logo ZipRecruiter ›

8.9

Overall
Score

#2 Indeed Logo Indeed ›

7.8

Overall
Score

#3 LinkedIn Logo LinkedIn ›

7.5

Overall
Score

#5 Craigslist Logo Craigslist ›

6.4

Overall
Score

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Experience
Price Range

It is always free to look for a job on craigslist. It is usually free to post a job as well, but there are some exceptions:

1. Job postings in selected, highly-populated areas ($15-75)
  2. Brokered apartment rentals in the New York City area ($10)
  3. Therapeutic services in the U.S. ($10)
  4. Tickets by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
  5. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)

Policies about pricing are subject to change at any time. The latest updates on fees can be accessed at Craigslist.org's site explaining fees.

Reach

The company receives more than 1 million new job listings each month. Presently, with all its categories (services, community, for sale, etc.), craigslist.org claims to have over 60 million people use the site per month - in the U.S. alone.

Craigslist.org offers the ability to post a resume online, but many leading employment experts recommend against this practice due to privacy concerns. For this reason, as such as a job seeker, Craigslist.org is best used as an online classified resource rather than a tool for networking or self-promotion. For employers, the number of people who will see a particular ad will vary greatly due to the popularity of craigslist in the local area and particular market.

Experience

The company began in 1995 as an email list to advertise events in the bay area. As the number of subscribers and postings grew, the list soon became an avenue for employers to reach a large number of potential recruits. The website, complete with a jobs category and corresponding subcategories, was officially launched in 1996.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Customer support
Resources and Learning Materials

Craigslist.org doesn't offer any services such as resume templates, salary calculators, etc. and is designed to be used as a community classified service. However, to help their community members avoid scams, they offer tips and techniques to avoid a potential scam.

Special Features

Craiglist is lacking by way of special features that might add to a job seeker or job poster's success. However, some users might prefer the simplicity that sets it apart. Craigslist.org is a simple text-based site and loads easily and a large part of this is that there are minimal programming bells and whistles at play.

As with many other job search sites, one can browse listings by category, search for specific listings, or browse all listings by clicking the "jobs" link in the column above the categories. There is some ability available to filter jobs which are telecommute, contract, internship, part time, non-profit or if there is a picture or title in the listing by selecting the appropriate radio box(es) on the jobs or any of the category pages. One can create a free account, in which past listings can be managed. This can help streamline posting for multiple positions and does not take the place of the posting fees in the markets which require paying for job listings.

Customer Support

Craigslist users are often dissatisfied with the customer service at craigslist. And it makes sense that a company of 30 employees struggles to monitor questionable content being generated by millions of users around the world. However, the company does have a contact form that customers can submit with questions and concerns. These concerns are divided into topics such as posting security, personal harassment, paid postings, etc. Phone support can be accessed at 800-664-0633.

The Bottom Line

Craigslist is notorious for scams, particularly in the employment categories, so the review team suggests exercising caution if applying to jobs through a craigslist page. The lack of learning materials and other additional resources or features also leaves much to be desired. Despite its extensive reach of potential employees and employers, the risks of relying on craigslist outweigh the benefits.

3.2

Lindsay Fritts
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I actually used Craigslist to get the job I have now! I don't love the job search of cragislist, there are a lot of spam and things you have to weed through, but you can come across some really good positions!

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

Wanna find a job while weeding through the nonsense scams that are posted. Craiglist is your place for good times like that. With that being said I have actually found employment a couple of times through the site...

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

Craigslist is hit or miss when it comes to looking for a job. You definitely have to be weary of scam artists. I have found several reliable jobs through Craigslist though, including my current one.

Deborah Hyde
October 29th, 2018 Springfield, MO

I wouldn't recommend Craigslist for people looking for a job. There are too many scams listed there. It is easy to navigate, but very hard to tell if jobs are legitimate there and contacting people from an ad is hard.

Sofie Rosenvall
September 20th, 2018 Alpine, UT

Great service to find job listings. Easy and simple website to navigate. Great place to post jobs or to find jobs.

Mali
August 28th, 2018 Orem, UT

this site use to be popular and my first choice for job searches. But with too many hackers and dishonest people on craigslist i have lost interest in this site. I have also noticed not too many employers list on craigslist anymore.

Noelle
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Craigslist! So easy for me to find the job I need and I'm looking for! Almost every job I have gotten was from Craigslist, so it is very reliable!

Robin
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

sent emails for a few jobs through the Craigslist website and received emails back from scammers wanting my credit card information. i had to block one of them as they were sending me multiple emails demanding i reply asap.

NT
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

too many false advertisement and scams. i use to use craigslist a lot in the past until i started getting unknown emails from random people not related to the job or advertisement posting.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I highly recommend craigslist for a job search. I am a stay home mom and was looking for something to do at home and are in money while my kids are in school. I was able to find that job on craigslist.

Amy Crawley
June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT

Too many scams on this site. Need more policing.

May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

A great way to sell your odds and ends and make a profit. Not as popular as EBay.

William
December 8th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

I usually start my job search with Craigslist, because there are so many options on this sight.

Hayley Lambdin
November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

Craigslist is a pretty good resource if you're looking for quick little jobs but honestly, it's so hard to trust that you won't be murdered or scammed in todays day and age.

Hyrum
November 6th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I found a temporary job after school through a Craigslist post. Had to sift through a lot of sketchy ads. A high percentage of the postings seemed pretty spammy, but in the end I found a decent job that met my needs at the time.

Susan Stewart
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I tried using Craigslist for jobs and didn't really like it all that well. It was like reading the nickel ad except it was online and more spammy. I didn't find a job I was interested in, and didn't really like the website.

Breanna Jones
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Sometimes it is hard to know what is real and what isn't on Craigslist. I have seen so many fake ads that I don't have time to sift through what is fake to find the real ads. That is not fun. Their website is also not my favorite to navigate. I think it could use some work.

Quen Wilson
June 1st, 2017 Ogden, UT

Craigslist is user-friendly and offers a wide range of services and products. I have found many good job listings on Craigslist and was able to purchase many valuable items.

Michelle Mason
October 17th, 2016 Belleville, NJ

Craigslist is the best. They have a ton of jobs they are always trying to fill and I've found a lot of decent jobs off the site over the years. Yes, you have to weed through some junk sometimes but that's like any site