Craigslist Logo

6.3

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021
Craigslist.org is a well-known online classifieds website that began as an email distribution list in 1995. With headquarters in San Francisco, the small company manages to reach tens and millions of people around the world. 1 million new jobs are listed each month, including positions for hire with the company itself.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Price range
  • Reach
  • Experience
Price Range
It is always free to look for a job on craigslist. It is usually free to post a job as well, but there are some exceptions:
  1. Job postings in selected, highly-populated areas ($15-75)
  2. Brokered apartment rentals in the New York City area ($10)
  3. Therapeutic services in the U.S. ($10)
  4. Tickets by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
  5. Cars/trucks by-dealer in the U.S. ($5)
Policies about pricing are subject to change at any time. The latest updates on fees can be accessed at Craigslist.org's site explaining fees.
Reach
The company receives more than 1 million new job listings each month. Presently, with all its categories (services, community, for sale, etc.), craigslist.org claims to have over 60 million people use the site per month - in the U.S. alone. Craigslist.org offers the ability to post a resume online, but many leading employment experts recommend against this practice due to privacy concerns. For this reason, as such as a job seeker, Craigslist.org is best used as an online classified resource rather than a tool for networking or self-promotion. For employers, the number of people who will see a particular ad will vary greatly due to the popularity of craigslist in the local area and particular market.
Experience
The company began in 1995 as an email list to advertise events in the bay area. As the number of subscribers and postings grew, the list soon became an avenue for employers to reach a large number of potential recruits. The website, complete with a jobs category and corresponding subcategories, was officially launched in 1996.

The Bad

• Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Customer support
Resources and Learning Materials
Craigslist.org doesn't offer any services such as resume templates, salary calculators, etc. and is designed to be used as a community classified service. However, to help their community members avoid scams, they offer tips and techniques to avoid a potential scam.
Special Features
Craiglist is lacking by way of special features that might add to a job seeker or job poster's success. However, some users might prefer the simplicity that sets it apart. Craigslist.org is a simple text-based site and loads easily and a large part of this is that there are minimal programming bells and whistles at play. As with many other job search sites, one can browse listings by category, search for specific listings, or browse all listings by clicking the "jobs" link in the column above the categories. There is some ability available to filter jobs which are telecommute, contract, internship, part time, non-profit or if there is a picture or title in the listing by selecting the appropriate radio box(es) on the jobs or any of the category pages. One can create a free account, in which past listings can be managed. This can help streamline posting for multiple positions and does not take the place of the posting fees in the markets which require paying for job listings.
Customer Support
Craigslist users are often dissatisfied with the customer service at craigslist. And it makes sense that a company of 30 employees struggles to monitor questionable content being generated by millions of users around the world. However, the company does have a contact form that customers can submit with questions and concerns. These concerns are divided into topics such as posting security, personal harassment, paid postings, etc. Phone support can be accessed at 800-664-0633.

The Bottom Line

Craigslist is notorious for scams, particularly in the employment categories, so the review team suggests exercising caution if applying to jobs through a craigslist page. The lack of learning materials and other additional resources or features also leaves much to be desired. Despite its extensive reach of potential employees and employers, the risks of relying on craigslist outweigh the benefits.

3.3

Randie S. Edmond, OK

I have used CL for everything, from selling a car to giving away items. I haven't actually been hired form any listings on CL, but the information was there to apply or see them in person. I don't like that you have to pay $5 for a car ad now, but it probably helps weed out the stolen vehicles and multiple ads by users. I've recommended this site so many times for so many, MANY different things!

SummerSpringWinter Smyrna, GA

I'm a big fan of Craigslist and have sold many things on there. The only drawback is when I have to respond back to a potential customer and they harvest my email address to sell it for mailing lists. Most people give their phone numbers but I don't like to get calls since my job doesn't allow for that. Many people use Craigslist and it has really helped me and helped my buyers get great items. The system is very easy to use. I've sold everything from sunglasses, office chairs, baby car seats, bookcases, utility shelves, furniture, bedding, toys, bicycles and much more. I highly recommend.

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

I love Craigslist! I have found both jobs and places to live through this website. I appreciate how Craigslist keeps the lister’s information private; as someone using this website to find resources, it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that it is place where my information will be safe.

Aly Houston, TX

I've been on both ends of Craigslist for jobs, searching and posting them. While in a way it is almost nostalgic, the site itself is archaic aesthetically and functionally. It can be hard to find relevant posts, and there are so much junk posts that it's hard to know when you're selecting a legit employer (as a job searcher). Posting a job is tedious because you have to verify your email and it saves no personal info. On the other hand it does have a dashboard of your posts and I have received decent candidates on there for temp work.

Q Kelly Hallandale, FL

Stay away if you are looking to rent a home I almost got scammed the post and listed the house that they did not even on I called down to the city to find out who the owner of the property was they have photos of the property left it listed on “craigslist when I ask for more photos they sent me photos with different paint and different furniture

22 hours ago

MM Largo, FL

I posted my resume on Craigslist but after a week I had to take it down because I was getting all these unwanted communications from people that were not even related to employment. My inbox was bombarded from the time I posted my resume until I took it down. Never again...lesson learned.

Ann Horst San Antonio, TX

I used Craigslist to find my current apartment and I absolutely love it! It's in an incredible neighborhood and I loved being able to reach out to the landlord directly instead of through a property management company.

Toni Montuori

Craigs list has always been a great form for all my local purchasing and sales needs. I find their heightened security measures reassuring. The sight is easy to use and I have sold thousands of dollars of unwanted/recyclable items there. Any issues or questions I had were responded to within 24 hrs.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

I have found and sold things on this site. It is easy to use and quick to post or take down post. I would recommend to family and friends.

Richard Danby Rexburg, ID

Craigslist is a great way to advertise a job listing and get people to respond. It's nice and easy to upload a listing. I like that my personal information is kept private until I choose to give it out.

Yolanda Queer Shelley, ID

Craigslist is by far my favorite place to look for jobs. It's easy to see which listings you've already looked at. It's very easy to get in touch with employers.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

You can find anything that you are looking for on Craigslist including jobs in your area. You are able to narrow your search by area, key words or part to full time. There are job ads with pictures and without, with phone numbers and without and points of contacts. As a person looking for people you can keep it private and go through the site or you can put your info on the ad so people can contact you direct. Craigslist is definitely and easy way to find people to work.

Maria Donham Grovetown, GA

Don't have many listings with a variety of employers. Great about updating new employment opportunities.

Lindsey Amiot Salem, VA

Decent site to find the items you’re looking for. I think the look of the site could be updated to look more professional.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Still use to for jobs, finding good deals on furniture & community events. Very good resource for local events and going ons!

Wayne N Phoenix, AZ

Craiglist is a great "go-to" when you need to find something urgently. You can tap into all sorts of leads with this service. However, you've got to be careful on there, as scams are common.

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

Using Craigslist to find potential employees is both effective and affordable. While candidates are not pre-screened, they get to you fast so you can determine if they are eligible to move to the next round.

Marcy Pope Houston, TX

I have found lots a good stuff on Craigslist...from jobs to freebies

HC Brana Sanford, FL

We signed up for job search and all we found out is that you get calls that are actually scams, we will never post anything relating to finding jobs here.

Brittney Mac Gregor Louisville, KY

Craigslist is one of the best inventions since sliced bread in my opinion. I have made good money selling on the website, as well as found great deals. I'm aware shady things do happen on the site, however, it's not the sites responsibility to monitor private citizen transactions. I think I am most impressed by the freedom and lack of owner intervention in the day to day dealings with the website. It's nearly customer maintained. Clients have the option of flagging questionable posts and can add or manage their own postings. There are sections for nearly everything from buying a house to finding a date. I use the site on a regular and daily basis. The search features have really improved over the years as well.

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

With this company you can get job opportunity’s , adopt pets, buy things, etc. Something I dislike is someone on Craigslist can say they are selling something and when one goes to go pick it up they can be in a bad situation.

Gina Marie Commack, NY

I am a huge fan of craigslist merely because you have everything at your fingertips also the security aspect is a essential tool when handling monies and people that are not known

Kyle Provo, UT

Super simple concept. This has entirely replaced the classified sections of newspapers. I bought my car from a craigslist ad. You need to be careful and smart, but there are awesome opportunities

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Craigslist could use an update, but it has a job section with lots of room for descriptions

Martha Woodward Charlotte, NC

Horrible! The vast majority of job ads are scams to get your email and sell your information or to try to sell you something. There are also all sorts of people that are either backyard breeders who sell sick or stolen animals. Too many scams going on there to list!

MindyV Lubbock, TX

There's a lot of spam on Craigslist. I don't trust this website at all. People also use this website to stalk and harm others. There's a lot of postings about how to "get rich quick" or work from home scams. It's ridiculous!!!!

Frankie Cibolo, TX

Up until recently, I pretty much used Craigslist to find workrs to help with some of my home projects or repairs. Not sure why or when their format changed, but now the only thing I see when searching are companies offerong their services, no more individuals avaiable.

Josephine Hartford, CT

I hired Dan from do it all movers, he showed up with 2 other guys ready to work!! I've used big moving companies in the past, but these guys were some of the best movers I've had!!! Thanks a lot!!!

Tedra Prouty Caldwell, ID

Craigslist is sketchy. You really don't know who you're meeting.

Bryce Johnson Colorado Springs, CO

Craigslist is a decent place to apply for jobs. Most of the jobs are just copy/paste to keep the application on top of the list. Most employers are not very responsive, but sometimes you can find a gem. There are not tools that make applying or hiring easier, so most applicants are under qualified.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I have actually had some awesome jobs that I found on Craigslist. I think this way of posting is going out of style because I haven't seen any good jobs recently, but I do like how quick the process is when you find a good job to apply to.

Mari Clarkston, GA

Craigslist is a company that has been around for many years. I love the variety of post a person can make. You can post about your rental properties to selling furniture. I gave it a 4 star because I would like to see the company vamp up its webpage. But other than that I would recommend this site for posting pictures and comments of your items.

Steve Banks Jr. Seattle, WA

Craigslist has always been a value for me as I'm able to find whatever it is I need. My interactions with other's on the platform have always been positive which is why I continue to go back.

John Garcia Albuquerque, NM

Best place to post jobs, for sale items, yard sales, etc. Easy to use. Reliable. Great filters for finding what you want. Good variety of categories to separate goods and services

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

Craigslist is one of my favorite sites! It takes a little getting used to the format of the site, ut once you do it's easy to navigate and find great deals and job opportunities that are local in your community!

Brittany Alshawy Colorado Springs, CO

This site has it's ups and downs. But overall it's a quality site. If you focus on what you're looking for, and know how to watch out for fake ads/posts; it's a useful and effective website. You can pretty much find anything you need. It's also great for selling items, adopting out pets; and posting jobs. The prices seem fair too.

MARIXA GOLDEN Menifee, CA

I just love this site, Craigslist it just so helpful. I sold my car within 7 days, very great source for buying, selling or just giving away things. I got so many calls once I posted, free shed, and it was just great, to get rid of it within an hour.

Liza Sotchenko Parkville, MD

Used to be great but now is just a page full of scammers so its not even worth your time going on here and trying to figure out if the post you're responding to is even real

Mr Fields Turbeville, SC

It used to be a very useful tool. It become over saturated with craziness. It also use to be free to post ads, now it’s not.

Missy Truth Ankeny, IA

This can be a good place to look for local businesses openings but it is riddled with scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Look for ads that are up front with their business name and info.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We liked the quick flood of resumes that came in from placing ads for quick employees. The quality was a bit all over but there were some diamonds in there.

Quen Wilson Ogden, UT

Craigslist is user-friendly and offers a wide range of services and products. I have found many good job listings on Craigslist and was able to purchase many valuable items.

Michelle Mason Belleville, NJ

Craigslist is the best. They have a ton of jobs they are always trying to fill and I've found a lot of decent jobs off the site over the years. Yes, you have to weed through some junk sometimes but that's like any site

Thomas Moyer Las Vegas, NV

I love how many things you have on your website. Very useful for many things you need in life. Very easy to use and very easy to post. Great site to sell and find stuff your looking to buy.

Spencer Cottle Orem, UT

Have used many times and easy to navigate.

Heather Athens, GA

A great place to find pets. Found my bunny on here.

Nena McFarland Aurora, CO

I use Craigslist when shopping for any used product in my metro area. I have posted several items, including vehicles, and received quick responses. Some of the responses are scams, but they are easy to identify.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Craigslist gets shady. There has been many times that I've applied for a job and my GPS lead me to an apartment complex which I did not go into of course. I think Craigslist could benefit from better security options. However, I have had two wonderful jobs come from Craigslist before that provided invaluable experience, so I wouldn't write it off completely.

Brian Scott Provo, UT

Craigslist is a good way to find employment opportunities in your local area. I have found quite a few jobs for my painting business through Craigslist and have also been able to generate traffic to my website by advertising on it.

janalee sanders Valley Center, CA

I tried craigslist when helping my son look for job options and while there were a lot of listings to pick from it seamed as though quite a few of them were either no longer available or the jobs were not exactly as the description. I get that updating is probably the responsibility of the poster. it just took a little longer looking for something that was available.