CareerBuilder Logo

6.3

CareerBuilder has provided an avenue for online job listings since its founding as NetStart in 1995. Since that time, the company has expanded to include a large partner network of recruiters, a resume database, and an online resource center for job seekers, small businesses, and large corporations.

Indeed Logo
#2 Indeed chevron_right
LinkedIn Logo
#3 LinkedIn chevron_right

The Good

• Reach
  • Resources and learning materials
  • Special features
  • Experience
Reach
There are over 24 million unique visitors to the site each month. CareerBuilder powers career sites for more than 1,000 partners, including 140 newspapers, and they operate in more than 60 worldwide markets in the U.S., Europe, Canada, Asia, and South America.
Resources and Learning Materials
CareerBuilder offers an exceptionally strong set of informative materials for both job seekers and recruiters. Their Advice & Resources section contains infographics and videos along with traditional articles on a variety of employment-related topics. Some of these include assessments, job trends, networking, following up, and negotiation. Especially helpful is a weekly "Who's Hiring" update. Educational content is searchable by industry or job phases (discovery, find the job, get the job, and on the job). A separate blog for recruiters is just as thorough, though their webinars are only available to CareerBuilder account holders.
Special Features
  • Career exploration: Job seekers can search by job title and get career insights via salary averages, skills necessary and relevant opportunities. They can compare their resume side by side with the data points for each career.
  • Resume database: Job seekers can upload their resume from Dropbox, Google Drive, or a computer file to CareerBuilder and choose to display resume and contact information, or hide it. They can apply to jobs either way, and can change their chosen privacy settings at any time. Job seekers can see the number of times their resume has been viewed, how frequently it comes up in company searches, and the search terms employers used when it showed up in their results.
  • Social media and apps: CareerBuilder's services can be accessed through iOS and Android apps, with updates on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Google+, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
  • Job posting perks: With a paid job posting, employers can have their job(s) posted to the CareerBuilder website, the partner network, and through email. Employers can allow applicants to apply to jobs directly on CareerBuilder, which tends to get them three times as many applicants as does directing job seekers to other websites. Finally, CareerBuilder screening tools allow users to sort and rank applicants with screener questions, and access data about how the posting is performing.
Experience
The company was founded as NetStart in 1995, making it one of the first online job search companies. NetStart enabled companies to list job openings on their websites and was named CareerBuilder in 1998.

The Bad

• Price range
  • Customer support
Price Range
Services are provided at no cost to the job seeker. CareerBuilder allows employers to purchase up to 35 job postings at a time. Each posting is valid for one calendar month and can be used within 12 months of the purchase. The price for one job is $419, and the more job postings that are purchased, the greater percentage discount per job-though even with a discount, the costs run steep. In the highest savings bracket, buying 25-35 job postings saves the client 43% at $240 per job. For even larger quantities, employers can request information about subscription posting solutions. Other "core products" include:
  • Small business resume database access: $400+
  • Email listing to potential candidates: $41.90+
  • Company profile: $480+
There are a number of additional services that are catered to varying company sizes and needs, such as postings to specific niche job sites like CareerRookie and JobsOnTheMenu, as well as sourcing technology and recruitment analytics services and software.
Customer Support
CareerBuilder provides a contact submission form for inquiries or feedback. Paid clients have access to a customer success team during business hours over the phone and through live chat (Monday-Friday 8:30 AM-5:00 PM).

The Bottom Line

The company claims to work with 92% of Fortune 1000 companies, and we can see why. They have impressive experience, reach, and a range of services and products that can cover most any employer's recruiting needs-including additional recruitment training with a paid account. Job posting is expensive, but with CareerBuilder, you get what you pay for.

3.7

Gina Marie Commack, NY

I have not used career builder in probably two years but when I did I found it to be very useful. I liked all the options that they had as far as information and guidance

Terry N Sioux Falls, SD

Career Builder is ok for what it is for but when you post your resume you will get a lot of fake jobs emailed to you and very few real employers. If you want a job you'll have to do the work yourself as actual employers will not try and hunt you down.

B A Hooper Mesa, AZ

A bit more complicated than other similar sites. Challenging to sort opportunities down to specific interests. Plenty of job opportunities.

Brian DeVos Boiling Springs, SC

I like the ease of posting your resume but the available jobs and application process is not as easy as Indeed or LinkedIn.

Frankie Cibolo, TX

I used CareerBuilder a few years back and just recently started again. Haing trouble with their asking me to repeatedly fill out the info on their site before proving me with the job info that I am looking for.

Phoenicia Cloud Rosamond, CA

This site is most definitely about career building. I was able to post my resume and search jobs that I am interested in. Very good format and simple to add and edit if you need to change anything.

eileen matos Lakeland, FL

Great job search, easy apply option, information about pay rate and employee reviews about the companies. Very user friendly

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

CareerBuilder is an awesome online job search tool. It offers an array of industries and organizes search results in a clean effective way. It also offers quick applications and industry info resources. They are great to use to expand the job opportunities for you. It sure helped me when I needed it!

Tomas Miranda Orlando, FL

CareerBuilder has always provided very good job options, information and requirements For the position being applied for. I have been interviewed by many companies that I have applied for through CareerBuilder So it will definitely be a resource I will continue using for years to come.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Career Builder is just a superior job search platform. Their site is efficient and gives you many opportunities to find gainful employment. I like the mix of industries and corporate brands that use CareerBuilder. That gives the search results I get great value. These are simply excellent job leads that have helped me change employment pretty easily.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

CareerBuilder - Job Search has the best offering for outside sales positions in the market. It is easy to find what your in search of.

Anne Starley Mukilteo, WA

I was recently on the prowl for a new job and used CareerBuilder among others as a tool to find relevant positions. CareerBuilder was persistent - they sent me daily+ job suggestions. The jobs were always relevant though and I appreciated it. They kept me on my toes and working toward my new position. Got a job!

Eric Asare-budu Mechanicsville, VA

The website is each to use and gives you access to multiple jobs. It easy to update or change your resume.

nichele thau ,

Great website and convenient for looking for local jobs posted on a daily basis it's got great information for great jobs

Andrew Hyde ,

CareerBuilder has not grown enough to be valuable to me as a job search or recruitment site. They have some good functions, but nothing that really sets them apart from the rest.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

So easy to do a job search on Career Builder. I actually use this site to look at different options of companies, and it's very resourceful when going through interviews to make a job decision.

Christine Shirley, NY

We use Career Builder at work and we have found many great applicants through their website. Thanks!

Summer Veillon Baton Rouge, LA

Great use of tools to help get you on track, focused, and to narrow down the important parts. Also helps to get your career in gear!

pdanielson13 Draper, UT

Very basic strategy to help future employees to find a career in the long run. It poses a great tool for making jobs a career entry level basis.

Kevin Liu Salt Lake City, UT

Careerbuilder has an easy online portal to upload your resume and filter what type of jobs you want to be notified via email.

Adria Riverton, UT

I’ve used careerbuilder when looking of r new job. It helped me build my resume and find different career options.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

I have used careerbuilder to help find candidates to fill positions and they were always easy to set up and work with and we had a lot of success finding quality candidates.

Vic Omaha, NE

Back when I was looking for a job, this site provided good leads. So I recommend it.

nicholas james vanderhoof Plattsburgh, NY

I liked this company. very easy to look up jobs and post resumes. One of the bests. But no one ever hired me i applied to. HTML

CAHomeOwner Clovis, CA

This is another site that has a lot of spam listings. But it also has some creditable ones. I have been hired in the past for postings on this site.

Linda Los Angeles, CA

They’re helpful in your job search and reviews too. There’s a lot of competition ou there but follow your heart.

Tanya A Long Beach, CA

This site is old school! I do like it because its more simple and easier to use than Monster. But they keep sending me emails when I've unsubscribed several times.

Tina Taylor Ebensburg, PA

Not only do they send you available jobs, but they also help you with your resume and give tips for interviews.

MissHmong95 Utica, MI

Not too bad. It's pretty confusing at first but have to take time to know what your doing on this app.

Diana Miami, FL

Popular job site. Costly for a business. Charging about 400-600 dollars per posting for 30 days. Lots of traction though

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

I like the quick apply feature for career builder. They also didnt spam my email with notifications of jobs i wasnt interested in . Would use again.

Tony Riverton, UT

I like the job search engine just fine. On the down side, after signing up, I got a lot of emails that weren't really targeted to me.

topaztije ,

I have received more scam emails from fake employers from this website than any other.

Patty Spring Hill, FL

Not a very good job source they constantly send jobs that are no longer available or over 50 miles away

Vianca Potts Hialeah, FL

I didn’t really like using this site. It wasn’t as easy as other sites. I’d still recommend it since others may like it.

Nancy Paugh Long Beach, MS

I call several companies with a listing on this site, and most openings did not exist. I wasted a lot of time trying to apply for opening that did not exist.

William South Jordan, UT

This job site is just filled with spam postings. I have never been able to find anything worth applying for here.

Sarah Russie Clearfield, UT

Okay app. Not as thorough as some of the others. I have not had a lot of success in getting work through this app.