Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Identity Guard

Identity Guard Logo

Identity Guard

Identity protection services starting at $19.99 per month

Identity Guard is a product of Intersections, Inc. and was created to provide all consumers with the opportunity to receive the trusted expertise and protection that was previously only offered to financial institutions. Identity Guard is a leading provider of consumer and corporate identity risk management services. According to the Identity Guard website, the company's mission is to "educate and empower every person to take control of their personal information to avoid fraud, theft, or misrepresentation of their information." Some of the services that Identity Guard offers include personal risk assessment, proactive action steps, quarterly credit scores and credit reports from all three major credit bureaus, around-the-clock monitoring and alerts, and $1 million in stolen funds reimbursements insurance.

#1 IdentityIQ Logo IdentityIQ ›

7.1

Overall
Score

#2 MyIDCare Logo MyIDCare ›

6.6

Overall
Score

#3 LegalShield IDShield Logo LegalShield IDShield ›

6.0

Overall
Score

#8 Identity Guard Logo Identity Guard ›

3.9

Overall
Score

The Good

• Monitoring Services
  • Plans and Prices
  • Data Breach Security
  • Insurance
  • Digital Protection

Monitoring Services

Identity Guard offers comprehensive identity theft protection services and packages which include credit monitoring services, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, financial account monitoring, public record monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes. Because Identity Guard provides so many monitoring services, it is much more likely that identity theft will be caught and shut down before it actually happens. All of the monitoring services that Identity Guard offers to protect against identity thieves run 24/7 which is designed to help customers keep a peace of mind. Identity Guard provides these monitoring services for everything from a customer's bank account (including checking account and savings account) to lost wallet protection and/or data breach security.

Plans and Prices

Identity Guard offers three plans: the Advanced Technology Identity Guard with Watson plan, the Quarterly Three-Bureau Credit Updates Identity Guard Total Protection plan, and the Monthly Credit Report data Platinum plan. The Watson plan costs $19.99 per month and includes IBM Watson artificial intelligence, proactive action steps, and a personal risk assessment. The Total Protection plan also costs $19.99 per month and includes quarterly credit scores and credit reports, 24/7 monitoring and alerts, and $1 million insurance for stolen funds. Lastly, the Platinum plan costs $24.99 per month and includes monthly credit scores and credit reports, 24/7 monitoring and alerts, as well as $1 million insurance for stolen funds. All of Identity Guard's plans prices are fairly priced in comparison to other identity theft protection companies.

Data Breach Security

The company offers two data breach services which includes data breach readiness and data breach response. Identity Guard allows organizations to prepare for data breaches by providing organizations with network scans, data monitoring, employee security awareness training, an official Data Breach Readiness Guide, and other identity theft protection tools as well as online educational tools/resources that organizations can use to get their systems ready to protect against future data breaches. Organizations will have the opportunity to plan out and develop a coordinated response to data breaches with Identity Guard's data breach readiness service. The Identity Guard data breach response service allows organizations to get the help and support they need to restore their customers' and investors' confidence levels post-breach and will provide organizations with a designated breach team and in-class products to help their affected customer base after a breach occurs.

Insurance

Identity Guard customers receive up to $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage, which reimburses them for theft-related expenses in the event of identity theft. For example, the policy covers lost wages of $2,000 per week for up to five weeks, travel expenses of up to $1,000 per policy period, and spousal and child care of up to $2,000 per policy period. Identity Guard is partnered with AIG (a multinational insurance corporation that is based in the U.S.) to provide customers with $1 million in cash in case a customer becomes a victim of identity theft. Those who do fall victim to identity theft are assigned to a resolution specialist who will help monitor the customer's data for a total of three months post-resolution in order to provide protection against future identity theft incidents that may occur.

Digital Protection

One of Identity Guard's most standout features is a digital privacy protection suite. The company offers anti-virus software, password protection, malicious website blocking, ad blocking, flash blocking, tracking cookie blocking, phishing site blocking, keyboard encryption software, and online financial tools. Identity Guard also provides customers with a social privacy manager and an anti-phishing mobile app. Identity Guard used automated settings to strengthen online privacy for individuals and families in regards to social media use. Since Identity Guard offers anti-virus and anti-phishing software, customers do not have to pay out-of-pocket costs to obtain their own software. Many other identity protection companies do not offer as much protective software as Identity Guard. The company promises to keep any and all customer information protected by using industry standard encryption.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Money-Back Guarantee

Limited Recovery Services

Although Identity Guard does offer financial and criminal identity restoration, the company does not assist with medical or tax identity recovery. Additionally, Identity Guard does not work with pre-existing identity conditions (for those who already have a stolen identity) nor does it provide limited power of attorney. Meanwhile, many other companies in the identity theft industry do offer most or all of these services.

No Money-Back Guarantee

Even though customers can cancel their membership/services with Identity Guard at any time, the company does not offer a complete money-back guarantee policy. According to the Identity Guard website, customers are "not entitled to any credit, refund, price adjustment, or any other discount, compensation or recompense for any partial-use or early cancellation." Refunds only seem to be available for special circumstances.

The Bottom Line

Identity Guard offers several monitoring services, three fairly priced plans, data breach services, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, and a comprehensive privacy total protection suite. However, the company's identity recovery services are somewhat limited and it lacks a complete money-back guarantee policy. Overall, Identity Guard has more positive aspects than negative and is one of the more reliable companies to choose to protect your identity.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

3.2

William H Norrell
March 26th, 2015 Okeechobee, FL

I have been with Identity Guard for several years and they always notify me of any request related to my personal information. If anything changes, they let me know. If someone is checking my credit, they let me know. The service has been GREAT for me and I sleep better at night knowing that I am with Identity Guard.

Rena Snyder
March 26th, 2015

Love it. Love it. Love it. It's so nice to have this service. To check my credit scores, get alerts, get my credit report, etc., is so easy and convenient. The monthly subscription is a small price to pay for the variety of services provided..

Mayra Garcia
March 26th, 2015 FL

The accessibility with a CSR rep was very difficult to access. You are on hold for a long period of time while the inquiry process is being handled.

James Anthony Huggins
April 9th, 2015

Service is fine but could be better if you offered a reduced rate on pulling scores more than once a month. I mentioned this to Identity Guard previously and never heard back. Why should this be any different? Thank you.

Roy K Tonning. Sr.
March 26th, 2015 Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

Having major issues with your ability to report my credit scores. Getting ready to cancel service.

steve petresky
March 26th, 2015 Pennsville, NJ

We were contacted by Identity Guard immediately when suspected unauthorized use of our credit card was detected. No unauthorized charges occurred but we had to get new cards which is a hastle but they prevented a large problem. Very happy with their services.

Stacy D. Jones-Haynes
March 26th, 2015 Chicago, IL

I love Identity Guard and couldn't my life without it! It keeps me informed EVERY AND ANYTIME someone checks my credit!! I have never felt safer and recommend them to all of my friends and family!! Whenever I've called and had a question the customer service representative explained the inquiry to me thoroughly and was very attentive to my needs. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK IDENTITY GUARD!!

Janice Butzky
March 26th, 2015 Fort Worth, TX

I have been very pleased with the experience of using Identity Guard for information about my credit report, credit repair information, and the protection of my major credit cards. Very good service and reasonable cost.

Brandon mcwherter
March 18th, 2015

Very misleading and hidden costs for the service. You get billed every month, but can only see your scores every 3 months? I've now paid over $50 to see one report!

John Eremic
March 16th, 2015 Monroeville, PA

I have been using Identity Guard for several years. I can't think of anything to complain about. I get periodic reports in a timely manner and the coverage is comprehensive. I did not rate them a 10 because the true test is what happens if you are a victim of identity fraud. Fortunately, I have not had to test their service in that regard yet. I was just notified that our personal information had been hacked at a cruise booking service that we used about 10 years ago - so we'll see.

JOSEPH M. NERI
March 9th, 2015 San Jose, CA

When I signed up I was told that if I canceled the subscription, ALL MY DATA would be removed from the records of Identity Guard. I just canceled my subscription and asked about removing my data. I was told by a Supervisor that all my DATA including my social security number would be retained in the records of the company. Supervisor could not explain why they would keep my social security number on their files. I never gave them permission to keep my Data if I canceled subscription. Very disappointed!!!

Josh
February 13th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

After I posted my original review the company returned my payment.

Kelli johnson
November 10th, 2014 Phoenix, AZ

I seem to only receive uninsidental issues. Very inconvenient when you have to go out of your way just to find out I paid my car off or my house loan etc. Da! They don't have around the clock customer service. The app can not tell me what county records issue I might have, causing another phone call. Whoops there is no one to talk to because it's a weekend so I need to wait and stress all weekend till I can figure out what's going on. It's Monday and I called to find out my property taxes were paid. Da! Customer service is always very polite and seem to be good at what they do. Got to be a way to no whether or not an issue is critical or not. Give me some better information in the alerts.

Mark Clement
October 7th, 2014 Portland, OR

too many times when I log into their system, one or more of their services are not online, for whatever reason. if they cannot keep their own system online, what does that say about their protection abilities. Costco member.

KenH
August 20th, 2014 Oak Harbor, WA

I guess I misunderstood the role of IdentityGuard. I had an account completely taken over and so far have not received any notice of this from them. I asked about that and was told they are a post-activity service and respond only when they are told there is an issue by the financial institution. Not what I was expecting frankly; I was under the impression the service was proactive. If I have to manage issues and clean up on my own, why am I paying for the service?

DianaR
August 18th, 2014 San Jose, CA

Shockingly Awful - We've had Identity Guard for years and fortunately, never needed their help to resolve any issues. Six months ago, they send an e-mail explaining how you should get the service for your kids because they too can be at risk and you're not as likely to know about it until much later. So I take them up on it. I talk to the kids and I set up min son's account and have my older daughter set up her own. The boy doesn't follow his, so I do. To begin with, we notice another name on his public record and that takes some effort to clean up. Well, he's overseas studying when I get an e-mail saying that there's a change to his public record. I try to sign on to see it and can't so I call. They argue with me that since he's over 18 he has to call. Well, he's a tad far away and there's a significant time difference. So I tell them that unfortunately we'll have to wait until he's home again or can look into it himself; in the mean time, they're responsible for anything that transpires due to a potential identity theft. Within minutes I receive a cancellation for his account. These people are fine with reports and willing to automatically debit your money - but run into an issue that could be a sign of identity theft and they're no longer interested.

Lewis
July 10th, 2014 Jackson Heights, NY

Terrible customer service - for years, I was able to get reports but now identity guard cannot pull all my reports - will not find out what is the problem. In fact, they have emailed me many times to call them - I thought they were able to pull over reports - no! They even called me today just to leave me on hold for 15 minutes!!!!!

nanda saputra
April 2nd, 2014

Token top eleven

lesliebarker
March 11th, 2014 Pleasant Grove, UT

I've been using Identity Guard for a while now. I first found out about them from Comcast because they were offering free service to members in my area (Seattle) and I love it so much I upgraded so I could use more of the paid services.

Beverly Grant
February 28th, 2014 Lady Lake, FL

You advertise $14.99 mo. for your service. Why is my charge up to $16.99?

Maddie
November 21st, 2013 Pleasant Grove, UT

Though I only had ID Guard for a short time, I liked the service provided. For the peace of mind and all the information and services offered, the monthly price seemed reasonable. And yet, when I went to cancel my service, the rep even offered a price reduction so that I could continue my service (I was canceling for personal budgeting reasons). The rep was very pleasant and very polite. Definitely the service I will go back to when I can afford an extra monthly payment again. I liked the prompt notifications I received and the credit reports and monitoring I could get under ID Guard's service. And that's just the tip of their service offers. Definitely recommend ID Guard.

Chance
October 25th, 2013 Pleasant Grove, UT

Awesome, and worth the money.

NeoOnyx
October 14th, 2013 Pleasant Grove, UT

The one thing that would make this service better (even if there was a reasonable fee to the monthly charge) would be the ability to pull my credit report once a month, versus once a quarter. Paying an extra 15 bucks each time I want to see an updated report kinda sucks. I would prefer having the option to pull my report once a month and perhaps pay a couple extra bucks a month for the service.

cdmanoise
November 21st, 2013 Monroe, NC

Two years after receiving an alert someone is using my 11 year old son's SS #, I have been sent to the SS Administration, told to pull Credit reports from the big three, pushed to contact LexisNexis who is no help and still have no resolution. IdentityGuard, is great for SLOWER than slow response to email, and calling is annoying going through the whole verification process and again telling the two year tale of my son's SS # from the beginning to another new rep. While I believe IdentityGuard is better than LifeLock, this has been one of the most frustrating experiences of my life. I would never recommend IdentityGuard to anyone, and advise steer clear. If anyone has a better solution please by all means please advise as this company next to LifeLock is the armpit of Identity monitoring.

Edward Parr
October 14th, 2013 Pleasant Grove, UT

They do help provide some peace of mind that someone is minding the store, so to speak. If I have one criticism, it is the alerts. I have received alerts twice in the last 2 months. It is still not clear from the "details" of the alert as to what triggered it in either instance. In both cases, one of my creditors was listed (presumably that company listed has either run a credit check with one of the credit bureaus or reported to them, but it is unclear to me which is the case - that is not explicitly stated). Given the lack of details, it is not immediately obvious to me if there is something about which I should be concerned, and I am left to try to infer what was the trigger.