Identity Guard

Identity Guard Logo

5.1

Identity Guard

Identity protection services starting at $19.99 per month

Identity Guard is a product of Intersections, Inc. and was created to provide all consumers with the opportunity to receive the trusted expertise and protection that was previously only offered to financial institutions. Identity Guard is a leading provider of consumer and corporate identity risk management services. According to the Identity Guard website, the company's mission is to "educate and empower every person to take control of their personal information to avoid fraud, theft, or misrepresentation of their information." Some of the services that Identity Guard offers include personal risk assessment, proactive action steps, quarterly credit scores and credit reports from all three major credit bureaus, around-the-clock monitoring and alerts, and $1 million in stolen funds reimbursements insurance.

#1 MyIDCare Logo MyIDCare ›

7.9

Overall
Score

#2 LegalShield IDShield Logo LegalShield IDShield ›

7.3

Overall
Score

#3 LifeLock Logo LifeLock ›

7.0

Overall
Score

#6 Identity Guard Logo Identity Guard ›

5.1

Overall
Score

The Good

• Monitoring Services
  • Plans and Prices
  • Data Breach Security
  • Insurance
  • Digital Protection

Monitoring Services

Identity Guard offers comprehensive identity theft protection services and packages which include credit monitoring services, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, financial account monitoring, public record monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes. Because Identity Guard provides so many monitoring services, it is much more likely that identity theft will be caught and shut down before it actually happens. All of the monitoring services that Identity Guard offers to protect against identity thieves run 24/7 which is designed to help customers keep a peace of mind. Identity Guard provides these monitoring services for everything from a customer's bank account (including checking account and savings account) to lost wallet protection and/or data breach security.

Plans and Prices

Identity Guard offers three plans: the Advanced Technology Identity Guard with Watson plan, the Quarterly Three-Bureau Credit Updates Identity Guard Total Protection plan, and the Monthly Credit Report data Platinum plan. The Watson plan costs $19.99 per month and includes IBM Watson artificial intelligence, proactive action steps, and a personal risk assessment. The Total Protection plan also costs $19.99 per month and includes quarterly credit scores and credit reports, 24/7 monitoring and alerts, and $1 million insurance for stolen funds. Lastly, the Platinum plan costs $24.99 per month and includes monthly credit scores and credit reports, 24/7 monitoring and alerts, as well as $1 million insurance for stolen funds. All of Identity Guard's plans prices are fairly priced in comparison to other identity theft protection companies.

Data Breach Security

The company offers two data breach services which includes data breach readiness and data breach response. Identity Guard allows organizations to prepare for data breaches by providing organizations with network scans, data monitoring, employee security awareness training, an official Data Breach Readiness Guide, and other identity theft protection tools as well as online educational tools/resources that organizations can use to get their systems ready to protect against future data breaches. Organizations will have the opportunity to plan out and develop a coordinated response to data breaches with Identity Guard's data breach readiness service. The Identity Guard data breach response service allows organizations to get the help and support they need to restore their customers' and investors' confidence levels post-breach and will provide organizations with a designated breach team and in-class products to help their affected customer base after a breach occurs.

Insurance

Identity Guard customers receive up to $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage, which reimburses them for theft-related expenses in the event of identity theft. For example, the policy covers lost wages of $2,000 per week for up to five weeks, travel expenses of up to $1,000 per policy period, and spousal and child care of up to $2,000 per policy period. Identity Guard is partnered with AIG (a multinational insurance corporation that is based in the U.S.) to provide customers with $1 million in cash in case a customer becomes a victim of identity theft. Those who do fall victim to identity theft are assigned to a resolution specialist who will help monitor the customer's data for a total of three months post-resolution in order to provide protection against future identity theft incidents that may occur.

Digital Protection

One of Identity Guard's most standout features is a digital privacy protection suite. The company offers anti-virus software, password protection, malicious website blocking, ad blocking, flash blocking, tracking cookie blocking, phishing site blocking, keyboard encryption software, and online financial tools. Identity Guard also provides customers with a social privacy manager and an anti-phishing mobile app. Identity Guard used automated settings to strengthen online privacy for individuals and families in regards to social media use. Since Identity Guard offers anti-virus and anti-phishing software, customers do not have to pay out-of-pocket costs to obtain their own software. Many other identity protection companies do not offer as much protective software as Identity Guard. The company promises to keep any and all customer information protected by using industry standard encryption.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Money-Back Guarantee

Limited Recovery Services

Although Identity Guard does offer financial and criminal identity restoration, the company does not assist with medical or tax identity recovery. Additionally, Identity Guard does not work with pre-existing identity conditions (for those who already have a stolen identity) nor does it provide limited power of attorney. Meanwhile, many other companies in the identity theft industry do offer most or all of these services.

No Money-Back Guarantee

Even though customers can cancel their membership/services with Identity Guard at any time, the company does not offer a complete money-back guarantee policy. According to the Identity Guard website, customers are "not entitled to any credit, refund, price adjustment, or any other discount, compensation or recompense for any partial-use or early cancellation." Refunds only seem to be available for special circumstances.

The Bottom Line

Identity Guard offers several monitoring services, three fairly priced plans, data breach services, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance, and a comprehensive privacy total protection suite. However, the company's identity recovery services are somewhat limited and it lacks a complete money-back guarantee policy. Overall, Identity Guard has more positive aspects than negative and is one of the more reliable companies to choose to protect your identity.

View Best Identity Theft Companies

3.2

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

We use this in our office for our business. They are really great and available for you anytime. We have had them protecting our computers for years now. We don't have to worry about viruses and other bad things being spam.

Aaron Fleming
June 27th, 2017 Port Townsend, WA

The first time I got an alert on my credit record, I tried to log in. No deal. Password and username reset options didn't work. After 3 days, customer service finally got back to me telling me to call an 800 number. NO WAY. I didn't sign up with an 800 number, I'm not calline an 800 number just to reset a password.

Sam Tortorice
April 24th, 2017 Orlando, FL

I received Identity Guard through a Home Depot data breech. The monitoring service is a joke. I purchased a new car in February without any notification that my credit was checked or that the car was financed. Now, I just purchased a new home for over $265 K and no notification. REALLY. This is not even a monitoring company. It may be that Home Depot just paid to be able to sign up to give their customer a false sense of security; but, either way, it's a joke. I cancelled even though it was free.

Dave
February 22nd, 2017 Miami, FL

I had been a member for nearly 4 years. It seemed that they were trustworthy and doing a great job, especially for the price. Then, I just wanted to change my primary credit card to pay my monthly fee. The website would not accept it. When my old card was charged, and I wanted to straighten it out by charging to my new card? I was told that I would have to wait 72 hours. COME ON!!! You want me to trust that you will get my credit and identity back after it is compromised, yet you cannot assist with the simplest of customer service requests!?!? MEMBERSHIP CANCELLED!!!

C
January 19th, 2017

Gave them a try. Been three days now and they just can't seem to get it together. Girlfriend even signed up and it took here credit card information, she got a call and it timed out, never created a user ID because that comes after the credit card information. So now she's got to through the process of calling like I did three times with no success. I'd choose another service and save yourself the hassle.

Bret Barker
July 22nd, 2016 Salinas, CA

slow, time consuming,, multple phone calls to deal with what should be able to be done online. booger slow (that is slower than snot) condescending tone on voice and empty apologies for not being able to keep their promises. easily take your money no questions asked, delivery really stinks

Natalie Abbott
July 22nd, 2016 Chicago, IL

I noticed identity gauard was STILL charging my monthly $19.99 for OVER a year. I cancelled this membership once I viewed my credit score. 2nd attempt today to cancel the membership!!!! I would NEVER recommend this company!!!!

allessandra
June 22nd, 2016 Greenville, NC

It took me two hours and multiple phone calls, with wait times of 5-10 minutes each, to set up my account. The website would not accept my credit card, although I called the credit card company and everything was in good standing. Once I finished enrolling I went to another website and made a purchase within 5 mins, just to make sure my card worked. I switched cards and used my husband's card and enrolled my family. I was told by a rep that there wasn't a family plan and that I would have to enter each person individually and pay for each one separately each month. A more knowledgeable rep finally told me that there is a family plan. Once enrolled, I was informed that although the family plan is for 2 adults and children, I, as the second adult, would not be able to enroll for about 48 hours and I would have to await an email. The people were nice but it was way too much hassle and was very frustrating. I expect the reps to be more knowledgeable.

Jeff L
June 15th, 2016 Centreville, VA

I have been a member of Identity Guard for many years. I have found their service to be both informative and timely. When inquiries or new accounts are being reported by any of the three major credit bureaus, I get notification quickly. I find the formatting of my credit report to be easy to read. As far as the scores that Identity Guard provides, I found them to be very close (I "bought" my scores from annualcreditreport.com at the same time) to what the bureaus provide. As far as customer service, I can only speak for myself........but it is such a pleasure to speak with a representative in the US. Unlike so many other companies that are "outsourcing" their customer service departments. I have great trust in Identity Guard, because of my longstanding service with them. I would give them very high marks!!

Catharine Hay
June 6th, 2016 San Lorenzo, CA

I have been lucky and haven't had any issues with Identity Guard and I have had their service for about 3 years. When I called them a couple of years ago to cancel my service because I was trying to save some money, they reduced my monthly payment by about $3.00. When I received a letter from a bank declining my application for a retail credit card and citing a credit score that was about 200 points lower than the one given in my Identity Guard account, they spent time explaining to me in detail the possible reasons for this.

Chelle
March 23rd, 2016 Keller, TX

Identity Guard customer service SUCKS. My bank give better protection for no money than this service. I have tried to cancel this service numerous times. Long story, since I lost my sign in info on my last phone, bought a new laptop and moved, I cannot authenticate my identity to them. It is a night mare!!

JAMES R JACKSON
January 6th, 2016 Colorado Springs, CO

ABSOLUTELY the worst customer service in the history of customer service. Rep said I was a liar and kept repeating herself to try to prove her point, I guess her point was that she and Identity Guard don't need any customers . I helped her along and cancelled my member ship after being a member for 5 years.

Lmd Michelle
December 8th, 2015

I applied on line and everything went smoothly - but the information advertised was not what I could see. They only provided Equifax not Trans Union. I called today to cancel membership and the lady could not "find" my membership..despite the fact that I had my number and all my personal details available. I was logged in as a member and viewing my profile and she was telling me I didn't exist and the phone number wasn't correct as she did not have any record of it! this despite the fact that I was looking at their own website - which had the exact same information I was giving her! Not sure what will happen but cancelled account on line and will be watching my bank accounts. Seems very shady.

Linda
November 2nd, 2015 Laguna Woods, CA

I applied on line and after filling out my personal information I got a notice that nothing matched. Since everything was correct, I clicked off the website because they did not have a Rep. to talk to on the weekend. They charged my credit card $19.99 anyway. I signed up for Life Lock - a "live" Rep. was extremely helpful to me.

dan greil
October 23rd, 2015 Saint Paul, MN

I signed up yesterday for Identity Guard on a 14,99 and one month Free. I recieved my information set up my account and entered credit card information for protection. Today I got billed by Identity Guard for 19.99 not on the credit card I established the account with but a different one that i listed for protection. WOW what a scam! Give them your personal information and they are the ones that put unauthorized charges on the account!

BOB
October 16th, 2015 Denver, CO

signed up. within two months, my CC was stolen. CC company called me stopped payments, new account issued. Identity guard issues, no waning, except they could not charge my CC? Stay away

Bill
October 6th, 2015 Denver, CO

Signed up for identity guard 10 days ago,in the last week credit karma,credit sesame, and my 3 credit cards have all notified me of a hard credit inquiry from a c c app I filled out---not a word alert or message from identity guard--GOODBYE IDENTITY GUARD

Louis
September 23rd, 2015 Grove, OK

So far, my wife and I have had only courteous, helpful representatives, every time we phoned in about something. So far, all issues have been resolved to our satisfaction. So far.......... I did not think to check with each credit reporting agency to make sure my scores were the same as on IDG. Will probably do that in the near future.

Kim
September 16th, 2015 Columbus, OH

The service provided by this company has plummeted this summer. It was a good product until about June - I have had at least 6 issues with either log in error and or the functions not working. for example, I get an alert and can't log into the system or I only get an email after days of them getting an alert that I have a changed to my credit profile. Or text messages aren't being sent any longer. These problems have been occurring both before and after a major upgrade to the site. Tech support at the toll free hotline has been dismal. I am currently searching for a new service, as this is too unreliable.

Wylene
August 20th, 2015 Forney, TX

I needed to reactivate my membership after 2 months of lapse in service. One week and 4 phone calls later, I called in asking what the status was because I was still unable to get any updates on my report and monitoring services. (With each phone call I was told to wait 24-48 hours for the system to update.) The very last representative (her name was Kelli) cut me off when I was telling her my problem. She told me there was no need to go any further. I was only trying to explain to her my situation so I could give her the background on it and get it resolved. Not once did she apologize or offer any form of acknowledgement to my problem. I was treated very disrespectfully. The experience with this rude, unprofessional associate made my finally take my business elsewhere.

dorian lawler
August 17th, 2015 Riverview, FL

I researched identiy protection companies and chose Identity Guard. I am writing this review because I don't want anyone else to have the nightmare experience I have had. I logged into my account on 7/27 to upgrade from a quarterly report to a monthly report. I was unable to find how to upgrade my account on line so I called the customer service dept. The support tech told me in order to upgrade my acct, I had to cancel my existing account and re-enroll to the upgraded version. In doing that it wiped out my account. I didn't have time to re-enter all my information so they said they could re-activate my account so I trusted my account was re-activated. Two weeks later, I find my account was never reactivated. I went all this time thinking I had identity protection. I had been accessing my IG account frequently to ensure it was okay. However, when I tried to cancel my membership online, it did not allow me to do so...there were no message(s) reflecting a change in status on my account on my IG home page either. So I called customer service and was told my account had not been reactivated. The person I spoke to today said they had tried to call me 3 times and left a msg once via phone. However, after looking at my phone and messages, I had not received any calls/msg from them. They even had my email and did not attempt to communicate the message to me. I don't want anyone to experience the frustration I have experienced with this company! If I can't trust to receive communication about the status of my account, how can they be trusted to protect my identity? I would encourage you to research other companies that provide similar service.

Jay Cummings
August 13th, 2015 Independence, IA

I started with IDG about 6-8 years ago while owning my own business and using personal info to obtain commercial loans. I was also using my credit card to purchase raw materials and the card would get poached about once every 1.5 years. (BTW Citbank was great) Initially the log in was kinda cumbersome. I sold my biz and let IDG expire. A few years later I wached a show on ID theft and thought an ounce of prevention would be reasonable. The log on appeared more user friendly and they were able to pick up where I left off. Thus far totally happy with them. Also suggest folks use their passbook on their iPhones. This submits a charge to your card the second it is run. Great way to keep an eye on stuff.

Tina
July 27th, 2015 Colonial Heights, VA

I signed on with Identity Guard and after a few months my credit scores were the same and my monthly report was "no activity". I checked on my credit score directly with the same major credit reporting agencies that they reported my score for and the actual score differed by 100 points, in my favor. Some of the other Identity Guard information for my credit report with this agency was also incorrect. It appeared that Identity Guard creates its own information. I cancelled my membership.

Michelle
July 27th, 2015 Spokane, WA

I have had IG for a year now. Great monitoring, they have caught things that were not mine. I have always had great customer service with this company.

Natashia
July 15th, 2015 Meridian, ID

I signed my husband, myself and our daughter up and was to be charged $24.97, I was actually charged $46.94. When I called customer serviced the lady that answered the phone was very very rude and told me sorry I do not see that, and since I can not see that I can not help you. She did not offer me any further help. She told me I could call y credit card company and speak with them. Did that and was told to resolve my issue with Identity Guard. I am currently in the process of cancelling my account this is not a great start. I will pay the extra money and go with another company!

Ed C.
June 17th, 2015 Silver Spring, MD

I have been with ID Guard for over a year and I am not that thrilled. I had 9 (NINE) fraudulant charges on my credit card. These charges were all the way across the country, (in places I have never been or charged to) and they were made on the same days I was making charges on my side of the country. This should have been an obvious red flag, yet they didn't catch it or notify me. Also, the three credit scores they give you are not acurate. A financial institution was checking my credit for a pre-approval on a house loan and they found my REAL credit scores were significantly different than what ID Guard reports. In my case my scores from ID Guard were good and my real scores were even better, but who knows if this is always the case. I am not feeling confident about their services, which is why I am researching other services now.

helene z
June 4th, 2015 Palm Desert, CA

Very disappointed with this company. They take your money on a monthly basis and for some reason this gives you some sense of false security that this company is doing something. I have found people who answer your call really do not know how to advise you in the steps on who to contact when your credit has been comprised. But, one thing they are very good at is selling. Felt the company violated me.

Anita Gearty
April 29th, 2015 Long Branch, NJ

terrible ...extremely inaccurate credit reports...stated there was another person associated with my social security number...not true....inaccurate account data...didn't match the credit reporting agencies.better to use identity protection through the credit sources...Experian...Transunion or Equifax

JSmith
April 29th, 2015 Downingtown, PA

I was with these folks for ~ 6months - the 3 bureau report every quarter. Frankly, I didn't see the value. Yes they reported and changes to my credit files on a timely basis and generally found cu

Dan Kincaid
April 17th, 2015 San Diego, CA

Great affordable service.Get notifications in less that 24 hrs after event

Erika
April 13th, 2015 Harlingen, TX

OK, I am a real person who normally does not review businesses or products, but I do get online and read reviews on just about everything before I make a purchase so I hope this helps. I was one of those unlucky people that had their identity stolen years back. My credit score was atrocious, and I was right in the middle of a background investigation for a federal job. (That is a big NO NO by the way) I have nothing but good things to say about Identity guard. I have been able to dispute all the negative factors on my credit and managed to clear them up. Disputing items on your credit is a LONG AND TEDIOUS PROCESS, but so worth the trouble in the long run.IG gets another 10 from me when it comes to customer service. Every time I have called for information on alerts or with any other inquiries, they have been wonderful. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have always had the pleasure of speaking to very courteous, PATIENT people. They have always answered my questions and I truly felt like they were there to help me. I can honestly say that I have never hung up the phone with my questions unanswered AND THAT ALONE IS AWESOME!

Johan
April 8th, 2015 Kirkland, WA

Pros: Great resource of information. Accurate. Good price.Cons: Couple times in the past few years been bugs in the credit reports not displaying on the site which required me to call in to clear up. Calling any phone support is never a joy.

Brad Gummere
April 8th, 2015 Galloway, OH

I called last week to try and dispute online about an incorrect address and the online dispute didn`t go through. I tried several times to no avail

Deborah Price
April 2nd, 2015 Florence, OR

When responding to the company request that we contact them. We did - found they had failed to properly & update change of address information for both members of the family. After 15 min. & 39 seconds of trying to get the address right - the staff person brought another staff person on the the line. At this point my husband had to leave for a meeting. With the original staffer still on & verifying tthat my husband had been 15 minutes trying to get the address correct (for the second time) - the new staff person would not complete the correction without speaking to only him. Absurd & not about our security.....not confidence building. Cancelling the service.

sherry daigle
April 1st, 2015 Morgan City, LA

I really like the fact that you guys are so on top of everything, people really need that. Thanks

Mike Corrigan
March 31st, 2015 Winchester, MA

Very good reviews and have helped me to choose a vendor.

Geraldine
March 30th, 2015 Tinley Park, IL

Service is excellent, when I have to call, everyone can handle the situation and they seem to know how to ha le my questions without giving me the run around

Jordan Blahnik
March 30th, 2015 Billings, MT

I have been very satisfied will my Identity Guard service. I know my credit reputation in secure with them. I had an issue with a false negative report and I called Identity Guard customer service. The agent advised me on how to have it corrected and even mailed me a packet with the proper forms to use. The website is easy to use and I am kept well informed of all activity with my accounts. I would like to thank the people at Identity guard for making my life much simpler. I will be a customer for years to come.

Michael J Gervolino
March 30th, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

There is not much financial activity in my life. Last year you reported a credit check, which was helpful to me. In January of this year I withdrew a large amount of money from two checking accounts, the numbers are available to you, but there was no notification of this action from you. Therefore, I was concerned about the protection service. Also,

Fred A Stearns
March 30th, 2015 Opelika, AL

ID Guard is the best about monitoring my credit and notifying me if everything is ok. My credit scores are always available and also all three to me at any time. Excellent service!!!! I would highly recommend it.