Identity Guard

Identity Guard

Founded in 1995, Identity Guard is a product of Intersections, Inc. and was created to provide all consumers with the opportunity to receive the trusted expertise and protection that was previously only offered to financial institutions. Identity Guard is a leading provider of consumer and corporate identity risk management services.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.2 8.0 Read Review
#2 8.8 8.9 Read Review
#3 7.5 7.1 Read Review
#6 6.1 6.2 Current

The Good

• Monitoring Services
  • Insurance
  • Digital Protection

Monitoring Services

Identity Guard offers comprehensive identity protection packages which include credit monitoring, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, financial account monitoring, public record monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes. Because the company provides so many monitoring services, it is much more likely that identity theft will be caught and shut down before it actually happens.

Insurance

Identity Guard customers receive up to $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage, which reimburses them for theft-related expenses in the event of identity theft. For example, the policy covers lost wages of $2,000 per week for up to five weeks, travel expenses of up to $1,000 per policy period, and spousal and child care of up to $2,000 per policy period.

Digital Protection

One of Identity Guard's most standout features is a digital privacy protection suite. The company offers antivirus software, password protection, malicious website blocking, ad blocking, flash blocking, tracking cookie blocking, phishing site blocking, keyboard encryption software, and online financial tools. Identity Guard also provides customers with a social privacy manager and an anti-phishing mobile app.

The Bad

Limited Recovery Services

Although Identity Guard does offer financial and criminal identity restoration, the company does not assist with medical or tax identity recovery. Additionally, Identity Guard does not work with preexisting identity conditions nor does it provide limited power of attorney.

The Bottom Line

Identity Guard offers several monitoring services, up to $1 million in identity theft insurance and a comprehensive privacy protection suite. However, the company's identity recovery services are somewhat limited.

View Top Rated Companies

104 Identity Guard Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 26th, 2017 Port Townsend, WA

The first time I got an alert on my credit record, I tried to log in. No deal. Password and username reset options didn't work. After 3 days, customer service finally got back to me telling me to call an 800 number. NO WAY. I didn't sign up with an 800 number, I'm not calline an 800 number just to reset a password.

April 24th, 2017 Orlando, FL

I received Identity Guard through a Home Depot data breech. The monitoring service is a joke. I purchased a new car in February without any notification that my credit was checked or that the car was financed. Now, I just purchased a new home for over $265 K and no notification. REALLY. This is not even a monitoring company. It may be that Home Depot just paid to be able to sign up to give their customer a false sense of security; but, either way, it's a joke. I cancelled even though it was free.

February 21st, 2017 Miami, FL

I had been a member for nearly 4 years. It seemed that they were trustworthy and doing a great job, especially for the price. Then, I just wanted to change my primary credit card to pay my monthly fee. The website would not accept it. When my old card was charged, and I wanted to straighten it out by charging to my new card? I was told that I would have to wait 72 hours. COME ON!!! You want me to trust that you will get my credit and identity back after it is compromised, yet you cannot assist with the simplest of customer service requests!?!? MEMBERSHIP CANCELLED!!!

1 0

January 19th, 2017

Gave them a try. Been three days now and they just can't seem to get it together. Girlfriend even signed up and it took here credit card information, she got a call and it timed out, never created a user ID because that comes after the credit card information. So now she's got to through the process of calling like I did three times with no success. I'd choose another service and save yourself the hassle.

July 22nd, 2016 Salinas, CA

slow, time consuming,, multple phone calls to deal with what should be able to be done online. booger slow (that is slower than snot) condescending tone on voice and empty apologies for not being able to keep their promises. easily take your money no questions asked, delivery really stinks

July 21st, 2016 Chicago, IL

I noticed identity gauard was STILL charging my monthly $19.99 for OVER a year. I cancelled this membership once I viewed my credit score. 2nd attempt today to cancel the membership!!!! I would NEVER recommend this company!!!!

June 21st, 2016 Greenville, NC

It took me two hours and multiple phone calls, with wait times of 5-10 minutes each, to set up my account. The website would not accept my credit card, although I called the credit card company and everything was in good standing. Once I finished enrolling I went to another website and made a purchase within 5 mins, just to make sure my card worked. I switched cards and used my husband's card and enrolled my family. I was told by a rep that there wasn't a family plan and that I would have to enter each person individually and pay for each one separately each month. A more knowledgeable rep finally told me that there is a family plan. Once enrolled, I was informed that although the family plan is for 2 adults and children, I, as the second adult, would not be able to enroll for about 48 hours and I would have to await an email. The people were nice but it was way too much hassle and was very frustrating. I expect the reps to be more knowledgeable.

June 15th, 2016 Centreville, VA

I have been a member of Identity Guard for many years. I have found their service to be both informative and timely. When inquiries or new accounts are being reported by any of the three major credit bureaus, I get notification quickly. I find the formatting of my credit report to be easy to read. As far as the scores that Identity Guard provides, I found them to be very close (I "bought" my scores from annualcreditreport.com at the same time) to what the bureaus provide. As far as customer service, I can only speak for myself........but it is such a pleasure to speak with a representative in the US. Unlike so many other companies that are "outsourcing" their customer service departments. I have great trust in Identity Guard, because of my longstanding service with them. I would give them very high marks!!

June 3rd, 2016 San Lorenzo, CA

I have been lucky and haven't had any issues with Identity Guard and I have had their service for about 3 years. When I called them a couple of years ago to cancel my service because I was trying to save some money, they reduced my monthly payment by about $3.00. When I received a letter from a bank declining my application for a retail credit card and citing a credit score that was about 200 points lower than the one given in my Identity Guard account, they spent time explaining to me in detail the possible reasons for this.

March 22nd, 2016 Keller, TX

Identity Guard customer service SUCKS. My bank give better protection for no money than this service. I have tried to cancel this service numerous times. Long story, since I lost my sign in info on my last phone, bought a new laptop and moved, I cannot authenticate my identity to them. It is a night mare!!

January 6th, 2016 Colorado Springs, CO

ABSOLUTELY the worst customer service in the history of customer service. Rep said I was a liar and kept repeating herself to try to prove her point, I guess her point was that she and Identity Guard don't need any customers . I helped her along and cancelled my member ship after being a member for 5 years.

December 8th, 2015

I applied on line and everything went smoothly - but the information advertised was not what I could see. They only provided Equifax not Trans Union. I called today to cancel membership and the lady could not "find" my membership..despite the fact that I had my number and all my personal details available. I was logged in as a member and viewing my profile and she was telling me I didn't exist and the phone number wasn't correct as she did not have any record of it! this despite the fact that I was looking at their own website - which had the exact same information I was giving her! Not sure what will happen but cancelled account on line and will be watching my bank accounts. Seems very shady.

November 2nd, 2015 Laguna Woods, CA

I applied on line and after filling out my personal information I got a notice that nothing matched. Since everything was correct, I clicked off the website because they did not have a Rep. to talk to on the weekend. They charged my credit card $19.99 anyway. I signed up for Life Lock - a "live" Rep. was extremely helpful to me.

October 22nd, 2015 Saint Paul, MN

I signed up yesterday for Identity Guard on a 14,99 and one month Free. I recieved my information set up my account and entered credit card information for protection. Today I got billed by Identity Guard for 19.99 not on the credit card I established the account with but a different one that i listed for protection. WOW what a scam! Give them your personal information and they are the ones that put unauthorized charges on the account!

October 16th, 2015 Denver, CO

signed up. within two months, my CC was stolen. CC company called me stopped payments, new account issued. Identity guard issues, no waning, except they could not charge my CC? Stay away

October 5th, 2015 Denver, CO

Signed up for identity guard 10 days ago,in the last week credit karma,credit sesame, and my 3 credit cards have all notified me of a hard credit inquiry from a c c app I filled out---not a word alert or message from identity guard--GOODBYE IDENTITY GUARD

September 23rd, 2015 Grove, OK

So far, my wife and I have had only courteous, helpful representatives, every time we phoned in about something. So far, all issues have been resolved to our satisfaction. So far.......... I did not think to check with each credit reporting agency to make sure my scores were the same as on IDG. Will probably do that in the near future.

September 16th, 2015 Columbus, OH

The service provided by this company has plummeted this summer. It was a good product until about June - I have had at least 6 issues with either log in error and or the functions not working. for example, I get an alert and can't log into the system or I only get an email after days of them getting an alert that I have a changed to my credit profile. Or text messages aren't being sent any longer. These problems have been occurring both before and after a major upgrade to the site. Tech support at the toll free hotline has been dismal. I am currently searching for a new service, as this is too unreliable.

August 20th, 2015 Forney, TX

I needed to reactivate my membership after 2 months of lapse in service. One week and 4 phone calls later, I called in asking what the status was because I was still unable to get any updates on my report and monitoring services. (With each phone call I was told to wait 24-48 hours for the system to update.) The very last representative (her name was Kelli) cut me off when I was telling her my problem. She told me there was no need to go any further. I was only trying to explain to her my situation so I could give her the background on it and get it resolved. Not once did she apologize or offer any form of acknowledgement to my problem. I was treated very disrespectfully. The experience with this rude, unprofessional associate made my finally take my business elsewhere.

August 13th, 2015 Riverview, FL

I researched identiy protection companies and chose Identity Guard. I am writing this review because I don't want anyone else to have the nightmare experience I have had. I logged into my account on 7/27 to upgrade from a quarterly report to a monthly report. I was unable to find how to upgrade my account on line so I called the customer service dept. The support tech told me in order to upgrade my acct, I had to cancel my existing account and re-enroll to the upgraded version. In doing that it wiped out my account. I didn't have time to re-enter all my information so they said they could re-activate my account so I trusted my account was re-activated. Two weeks later, I find my account was never reactivated. I went all this time thinking I had identity protection. I had been accessing my IG account frequently to ensure it was okay. However, when I tried to cancel my membership online, it did not allow me to do so...there were no message(s) reflecting a change in status on my account on my IG home page either. So I called customer service and was told my account had not been reactivated. The person I spoke to today said they had tried to call me 3 times and left a msg once via phone. However, after looking at my phone and messages, I had not received any calls/msg from them. They even had my email and did not attempt to communicate the message to me. I don't want anyone to experience the frustration I have experienced with this company! If I can't trust to receive communication about the status of my account, how can they be trusted to protect my identity? I would encourage you to research other companies that provide similar service.