Equifax

Equifax

Equifax is a credit monitoring agency that was founded in 1899 in Atlanta, Georgia. The privately-held company offers identity protection plans for both individuals and families.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 7.9 8.0 Read Review
#2 6.6 9.0 Read Review
#3 6.2 1.9 Read Review
#11 5.6 0.8 Current

The Good

• Plan Options
  • Identity Theft Prevention
  • Insurance

Plan Options

Equifax offers six different identity protection plans for customers to choose from. These plans range from $14.95 to $29.95 per month. With such a wide variety of plans, customers have the ability to pick one that best fits their budget and coverage needs.

Identity Theft Prevention

Equifax works to catch identity theft before it even happens. The company provides triple-bureau credit monitoring, internet scanning, social security number monitoring, fraud alerts, and credit freezes.

Insurance

Equifax offers its customers up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. In the event of identity theft, this policy covers and reimburses the victim for expenses related to the theft.

The Bad

• Limited Recovery Services
  • No Antivirus Software

Limited Recovery Services

While Equifax does offer assistance with financial identity recovery, there are a number of other restoration services that the company does not provide. For example, Equifax cannot help with medical, criminal, or tax identity recovery.

No Antivirus Software

Equifax does not provide its customers with antivirus software to protect sensitive data on their computers.

Want to know which identity theft companies are top rated? Click Here

The Bottom Line

Equifax offers a variety of identity protection plan options, several monitoring services, and up to $1 million in identity theft insurance. However, Equifax's recovery services are limited and the company does not offer antivirus software.

View Top Rated Companies

6 Equifax Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

August 11th, 2017

After seeing the adverts to check your credit score through Clearscore, I opened an account with them where they take all their information from Equifax. The information Equifax give to Clearscore to issue a score is so outdated and incorrect. They are a dangerous company when it affects your personal finances. Trying to contact them is very difficult with E-mails taking weeks to be answered and then with generic answers. If you ring them with calls being transferred overseas, it is so difficult to actually understand the personnel as English is not their first language. They then try to pass the buck and say it is the responsibility of Clearscore who should be contacted. E-mails have been exchanged but the Equifax staff seem incapable of understanding simple statements. They have the audacity to make false statements regarding my bank account and then advise I should contact my bank to correct the situation when it is simply Equifax who have no clue as to what they are doing. Whilst contacting Equifax by E-mail, they then advise that they need to see a copy of my credit report to investigate my concerns. This is the very same credit report that Equifax produce. I really question the knowledge of the staffing of this outfit as they simply cannot understand common sense.This company requires investigating by the authorities,and details have been sent to the Financial Ombudsman. BEWARE.There are other similar companies to use instead

August 3rd, 2016 Crystal Lake, IL

Tried to get someone in the US to speak to and all I keep getting is the Indian call center and they do not understand what I need this is the worst customer service ever. So no resolution, how can I get my issues corrected when all they do is read off a piece of paper.Totally unbelievable and they hold my credit in there hands over seas.

May 4th, 2016 Minneapolis, MN

Equifax ID Patrol was offered to me when I called in to place a fraud alert with all three credit bureaus on my accounts. It was described as offering unlimited 3-in-1 credit reporting, as well as alerts related to identify theft, however I received only ONE 3-in-1 credit report, and no alerts as of today (5/4) from when I signed up on 4/9. I essentially paid Equifax $16.95 for what should have been free. I called in to get written confirmation of product details, but was referred to their secure website to get this info using my product login ID. I tried to get a refund for the product on 4/13, but was told that no partial month refunds are given. I would NEVER recommend this product to anyone. I feel cheated.

3 0

April 12th, 2016 Columbus, GA

DO NOT USE EQUIFAX!!!!!! I purchased a credit report in December and a few days later, decided I did not want it anymore. I called in to cancel my subscription/membership. I was given a confirmation number but did not write it down (stupid me). Today, April 12th, I noticed I received bills for December, January, February and March. I spent forty minutes on the phone and was transferred three different times. The second person I spoke with said they have no record of me calling and could not do anything to refund me. I was then transferred to ANOTHER person to cancel my subscription and have to pay for this current billing cycle.

April 4th, 2016 Saint Paul, MN

Equifax is extremely slow in updating information, reports information that is two years old as if it were new, and their "customer service representatives" are almost impossible to understand, completely unhelpful, and rude.

April 26th, 2014 Clearwater Beach, FL

The problem I have with equinox is trying to get a hold of someone you can understand as everyone is in India somewhere . This makes me very nervous that all these people on the other side of the world has my ss and personal information.