ADT-Monitored Security is a home security company based in Florida that affiliates with multiple dealers selling ADT authorized equipment. Founded in 1874, ADT-Monitored Security is one of the oldest and largest security companies in the world. ADT security systems offer an array of services, ranging from home and business security to fire monitoring and carbon monoxide monitoring.

ADT offers interactive solutions starting at $28.99 a month and has optional features such as video surveillance and the ADT Pulse app that can make you feel at home when you are away. ADT-Monitored Security has several equipment options with plenty of add-ons to personalize your security system to your needs. Check out ADT-Monitored Security reviews below if you want to know what customers have to say about the home security provider.

#1 Vivint chevron_right
#2 Guardian Protection chevron_right
#3 Cove chevron_right
4.8

The Good

• Alarm Packages Start at $28.99
  • 6-Month Money Back Guarantee
  • ADT Pulse App
  • Home Automation
  • ADT Medical Alert Device
  • Variety of Options for Add-Ons
  • Threat Protection Guarantee
  • Landline and Cellular Monitoring
  • Advanced ADT Cameras

Alarm Packages Start at $28.99

ADT-Monitored Security offers its customers alarm packages starting at a $28.99 monthly fee, which is very reasonably priced for a starting plan. A basic home security system includes 24/7 security monitoring, a control panel and a small array of sensors such as door sensors, window sensors, and motion detectors.

6-Month Money Back Guarantee

ADT-Monitored Security also has one of the longest money-back guarantees in the security monitoring industry with its six-month, money-back guarantee. You won't find this with most security systems or alarm monitoring services.

ADT Pulse App

The ADT Pulse app is a mobile app that allows you to not only adjust your security system but also work your home automation features including opening and shutting your garage and controlling your home thermostat. You can sign in to ADT Pulse Interactive using any mobile device. You can opt to receive emails and text alerts with security updates, and you can also manage all Z-Wave smart devices from the app.

Home Automation

ADT offers many z-wave devices for automizing homes. Equipment includes some of the following:

• Smart locks — lock and unlock your door remotely, allowing you to let someone in even if you're not home or simply double checking the door is locked at anytime.
  • Smart lights — control your lights remotely and even set timers for when you would like them to turn on and off.
  • Smart thermostat — manage your temperature remotely and save energy by having it adjust temperatures based on if you are at home or away.
  • Remote garage door — never worry about forgetting to shut your garage door because you can open and close it remotely.
  • Video doorbell camera — see who is at your door and communicate with them through the two-way speaker.
  • Amazon Alexa — control your home security system with the voice assistant Amazon Alexa.

All of these smart home devices can be accessed from the Pulse mobile app and adjusted to your liking.

ADT Medical Alert Device

Similar to other home security providers, ADT also offers a medical alert device as part of its offerings. The device features fall detection so if you fall while wearing the device, a signal will be sent to ADT's monitoring center. This gives you protection in the case of a personal emergency.

Variety and Options for Add-Ons

ADT-Monitored Security also offers a large variety of extra equipment, including security cameras, motion detectors, flood monitoring, fire monitoring, carbon monoxide monitoring, and even medical alert monitoring for people who are prone to health issues such as falls. ADT Medical alert systems come in three different plan options that range from basic pendants that work inside the home to GPS locating devices.

Threat Protection Guarantee

ADT-Monitored Security offers to cover up to $500 of your homeowner's insurance deductible if a burglary occurs at your home when your ADT security system is armed.

Landline and Cellular Monitoring

ADT offers landline as well as cellular connectivity. Although this is slowly becoming the norm, many home security companies still only offer landline connectivity, which can be an inconvenience for consumers who don't have a landline. It's convenient you don't have to worry about that with ADT.

Advanced ADT Cameras

ADT has three high-tech cameras you can choose from: a video doorbell camera, an outdoor camera, and an indoor camera. We'll list information about each below:

Video Doorbell Camera

ADT's video doorbella camera is equipped with motion detection as well as 720p HD video. You can use the camera to see who is at the front door as well as communicate through the two-way speaker. The camera also has night vision and a 180-degree viewing angle of your porch.

Outdoor Camera

ADT's outdoor camera is weatherproof, motion activated, and includes 720p HD video. The camera also has night vision so it has a high-quality video feed even during dark hours. You can watch live video feed from your phone as well as store video clips and get alerts when motion is detected.

Indoor Camera

ADT's indoor camera is similar to the outdoor camera in that it includes 720p HD video quality, night vision, and motion-activated alerts. You can watch live video feed from your indoor camera, but the indoor camera is not weatherproof like the outdoor camera is.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Installation Fees
  • ADT-Monitored Security Equipment Only
  • Limited Package and Pricing Information

36-Month Contract

ADT-Monitored Security requires that you sign a 36-month contract for your alarm system as a new ADT customer. By industry standards, that's pretty low, but if you choose to cancel at any time, you will be required to pay 75 percent of the remaining cost of the contract, which can be expensive.

Installation Fees

ADT-Monitored Security also requires that one of its technicians come in and install your security system. This can be costly, depending on the package you select, but the typical upfront fee is $99. Many top-rated home security competitors don't charge any upfront fees at the beginning of the contract.

ADT-Monitored Security Equipment Only

It is also required that as a ADT customer, you only use ADT-Monitored Security equipment. There's no option to use outside equipment. This can continue to increase the amount that you are really paying for your security system. While you may think you are getting a great price, make sure you pay attention to the extra fees associated with the equipment and installation. Make sure to ask your sales rep the hard questions about price and installation fees.

Limited Package and Pricing Information

ADT-Monitored Security lists its main home security packages on its website, but it does not include detailed information regarding equipment and pricing information. We do know that the company requires a $99 activation fee and a monthly fee starting at $28.99. However, this isn't the price for all packages, so if you want more information, ADT-Monitored Security suggests you request a free quote on its site. Here is what ADT-Monitored Security does list on its site regarding its offered packages:

Traditional Package: Full security monitoring system includes a digital control panel, cellular connection, high-decibel alarm, entryway sensors, motion detector, wireless keychain remote, window and yard signs, backup battery, 24/7 monitoring.

Control Package: Includes everything in the Traditional package, plus the ADT app, which allows you to control your security system and smart devices from your phone or tablet. You can connect your smart devices and get email and text alerts as well. It functions on Z-Wave technology.

Video Package: Includes everything in the Control package, plus remote secure video that allows you to view footage from indoor and outdoor cameras on your mobile devices. You can also see live video and clips from triggered events.

ADT Security Reviews

With hundreds of consumer reviews, ADT Security services do not have a high star rating from customers. Many complaints note a difficult cancellation process, poor customer service, and issues with the professional installation. To read more about what consumers said about the company, see the full list of reviews below.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

When it comes to longevity, ADT-Monitored Security is hands-down the security pro in the industry, but that doesn't mean its home security system is as highly recommended to a customer as other companies. The company has a variety of packages with a low monthly fee and options to meet anyone's needs, from monitoring centers to various sensors to ADT Pulse Interactive. However, installation fees and a rigid contract might deter some customers to another security company. Check the reviews below to see what customers have to say about ADT Security services.

View Best Home Security Companies

2.7

Tim

May 26th, 2017 Norwalk, CT

ADT was recommended to us by a friend and we are so happy that we got connected with them. We are very happy with everything so far and appreciate the service we've gotten so far.

Ruben Guaderrama

May 24th, 2017 Las Cruces, NM

I purchased a security system through ADT with the understanding that I would only need a monitored service for about two years. I was clearly advised that I could still use my system as an unmonitored burglar alarm after my two year contract expired. I fulfilled my contract and after 4 years decided to cancel my monthly monitoring service to save on monthly expenses. Imagine my surprise when the effectively disabled my entire system, advising me that I would have to renew monitoring fees to get it operating again! They advised me that there was no way to effectively bypass a communications system error indicator and use it as a stand alone burglar alarm. I called around and was able to find a technician to bypass their communications error message which was an annoying chirping sound. With the push of a few buttons the technician was able to bypass the need for monitoring. Should we be more concerned about the deceit with ADT or the thieves they are claiming to protect us from!

Cattle Dog

May 24th, 2017 Lynnwood, WA

Beware. The installation was horrible. Big holes that they don't patch. Crazy expensive too. When I canceled the monitoring (because they never called for police twice when they should have) the equipment is proprietary. You can't self monitor. They control it and it will shut itself off after a week of ending the contract. You can't turn it back on with out them. Now they are relentless with phone calls and snail mail trying to get me to sign back up. No way will I even if it was free.. There is too many DIY wireless systems out there.

Cathy

May 18th, 2017 Mount Pleasant, SC

To those of you who say you "feel secure", DON'T. Had ADT for 18 years. In March, my home was burglarized. (I was at work.) When I arrived home unexpectedly, the alarm was still armed. Thief broke a window to enter. ADT still hasn't explained why the motion sensors didn't trip the alarm. "Sorry" they said, and offered to install glass breakage sensors "for only $620". WTH! I had to call the police, have them search the house, attic, crawlspace to make sure the intruder wasn't still inside. Many of the items stolen couldn't be replaced, ie, my late mother's jewelry, and pictures of grandparents long gone. No, don't feel secure if you have ADT!

Mileen Coulter

May 17th, 2017 TX

Complaint Description: ADT installed my security service May 10, It's May 16 and No time set for servicing the unit. Unit installed on May 10, May 12. The unit went off while in stay mode and I put in my code. Then it went off again while it was in Stay. The person had me turn off the motion sensor. I don't want to pay for anything I can't feel secure with. This is after all a Security system!! It is now May 16 and nothing from the office about servicing it. so I still want to cancel my account. Your Desired Resolution: First night I set it in Stay and it worked. Second night I set it in stay and I got up from the computer and walked into the kitchen. Alarm went off. keyed in code and turned it off two times. Called ADT She had me walk into rooms where there was no motion sensor and it went off. someone had me turn bypass the motion sensor. I have set it in away a couple of times? I can't have a system that won't work and I faxed a cancel within 3 days. I believe I will go with a more reputable company.

Carolyn

May 15th, 2017 Rocklin, CA

Started with Brinks Security and then ADT bought out Brinks. We've Ike it from the beginning. And ADT was very, very good. Never had any problems at all.

Megan Rigby

May 10th, 2017

Great customer service and help with quick questions. Eager to make customers happy. Good products that provide extra security for families. Especially for stay at home moms.

Don

May 6th, 2017

Bad product and service, overpriced and kept going up

Gary McVey

April 30th, 2017 MO

Way over priced, both for equipment & monthly monitoring. After 2 years of 3 year contract raised my price frpm $44 to $48. I got a mail ad from them for $28 a month. When my 3 years is up, I'm gone. There are several cheaper services. Customer services have been rude on the phone several times.

D

April 27th, 2017

Buyer beware the fees and equipment are expensive. the features are really cool, but i dont know yet if its worth it......got set up for service today. the 19.95 offer only applies IF you have a landline ... IF you dont have a landline then its $55 a month. Equipment is stupid expensive. To cover 10 windows and 3 doors, and a smoke detector, the total was $1300.

Vivek

April 26th, 2017

Installation and upfront charges are quite high, as is the monthly fees - in certain cities it can be as much as 60$. The 29$ monthly fees is only if you have your own landline for the system to communicate with monitoring company. I decided to cancel within trial period as it was just very expensive with no real benefit over other systems. This is where ADT showed their true colors. They didn't refund the money I paid for the equipment (325$) and their customer service would just stall and give excuses. Very dishonest company that I would not recommend to anyone.

linda preston

April 20th, 2017

Absolutely the worst service I can remember getting from a company! First off they didn't tell me that the police don't have to respond to the alarms (which they don't where I live). Then the alarm started going off on it's own. I just called them and spoke with another idiot there, and she said that if I paid them another $99.00 I could have my service turned on again. I had it turned off due to false alarms. Well, Tansy, or whatever her name was said that I could have my system turned back on if I signed another 2 year contract. Hello?! I have to pay until Sept. so why does she want to stick me with another installation fee and 24 month contract? Too be mean I'm sure. Some of the worst idiots I've talked to work there and I hope people boycott this company!

Janie Nelson

April 16th, 2017

Low batt on display prompted me to call ADT and very fast my appt. was scheduled for a tech. visit.

Gleta M Gaddis

April 14th, 2017

I have been protected from two (2) break ins with my ADT, service has always been prompt and professional.

[email protected]

April 6th, 2017 Aliso Viejo, CA

have had it for 2 months--love it. Cannot imagine how we got long without it, now feel so secure when we go to sleep!

John Best

April 6th, 2017

Well this is my take on security systems with cameras . We have 2 residences one in Northern Ca and one in Southern Ca. Both have the pulse system using 3 cameras up North and 4 cameras here down South. On the morning of last Thanksgiving we had a person come on our front porch at 12.15 am and stole several items . The pulse system is a good system which you can monitor on your cell phone and or tablet and have a portal on your pc. The problem with the pulse system is that any one of the cameras will only capture a 30 sec clip, turn off for 2 mins approx and then back on. alot can happen in 2 min. The camera on the porch only caught the back of the perp luckily he tried to steal our golf cart and the 2 back cameras caught a good full body and facial. Thru our portal (pc) were able to send the clips to the SO. Wasn't satisfied with a 30 clip. Called ADT and our rep came out and showed us how a NVR system works. Note that there are many DVR systems out there on the market but a NVR system he installed has a 2 terabyte capacity and runs 24/7 365. once the hard drive is full it will record over itself. The hard drive is roughly capable of 4,500 hrs.. On Feb 5th the same perp came back and stole our patio heater. The NVR system pegged him perfect. Sent the whole activity to the SO and they scooped him up, now doing jail time and got our heater back. Another nice feature on both systems is that you can designate how many pc portals you want. We have a care taker here in SOCAL and they are installed on his pc and cell phone to monitor at all times. The NVR system is the way to go. The biggest plus is flexibility and communication with Law Enforcement. Totally happy with all ADT provides. For what you pay is very cheap insurance as apposed to the belongings you have. Not counting the most important part. YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY.

Meeche Miller

April 6th, 2017

I was satisfied with my ADT system until I decided to add cameras - the cameras are awful - can't see anything in dark but some white figures -they catch the first 30 seconds and then go blank for 4 minutes -bad - When switching to cameras - they rewired my whole system and NOW, the alarm is so quiet I can't hear it I called ADT and they said I was wrong - comes from factory quiet!- it did not come quiet originally! Before I added the 3 cameras - the alarm was real loud and I could hear it all over the house - it cost me an additional $624.00 to add 3 cameras that don't do the job at all and my monthly went from $42.84 to $56 77 after cameras were installed and I am stuck with this for 36 months!

Deborah Simmons

April 3rd, 2017 Houston, TX

I've been with ADT since 2010 and the only problem I've experience with them is the price to upgrade. They're prices are much higher than other security companies. And each time there is an upgrade you will be required to upgrade your contract. Other than that I have not had any problems with their service.

Jeff Duke

March 30th, 2017

They have worked with me to get it right!

Joe

March 29th, 2017 West Covina, CA

Horrible installation. The technician who installed the system didn't know what he supposed to do. The camera was blocked by the flood light and the technician not even found out until I told him. No customer service. I complained to the local and corporate office. Nobody even responded to my email. Do not trust ADT. They are not professional. They are the worst. We will discontinue the service and refund the system. ADT is terrible.

Roger D Ditman

March 17th, 2017 Brooklyn, NY

I have used ADT for over 15 years and found their service to be excellent, their response to alarms very quick and the price for their monitored service very reasonable.