Defender Logo

Defender

4.9

Defender offers a variety of security camera systems with individual units specialized for either large business locations or smaller home spaces.

Users can choose between wired and wireless packages with 2–16 dome or bullet cameras, plus DVR or NVR hard drive recording for local storage.

When it comes to resolution, Defender offers clients several options. One option are its 4K Ultra-HD cameras that give you 8.3 million pixels, which is four times a standard 1080P security system. It also offers a 2K system with Guard’s ClearVu™ advanced optics and Smart H.265 compression, that allows you to stream 2K high definition video. The security cameras are available with night vision, remote viewing, and local storage.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus reviews of Defender security cameras from real customers.

The Good

• Image Quality
  • Installation
  • Camera Bundles
  • Consumer-Friendly Company
  • App Options
  • Warranty

Image Quality

Defender offers sufficient image quality from its compact camera units. They shoot in full 4K Ultra-HD that gives you 8.3 million pixels, which is four times a standard 1080P security system. Combining ClearVu™ image technology with an integrated IR cut filter gives you brilliant detail, day or night, so you can distinguish faces and license plates. They are also equipped with a fully glass lens.

The cameras are relatively affordable when purchased via the company's pre-set packages. Defender security cameras also have 4K resolution and 1080P live stream capabilities.

It's easy to monitor indoor and outdoor areas, like a large yard or spacious business warehouse for a cheaper price. You can even purchase a series of fake "incognito" cameras through Defender for a really low-cost security measure.

Installation

The systems are specifically designed to require no more effort to activate than a straightforward "DIY" installation. Though the DVR addition may make it seem complicated, the company has fine-tuned the installation process to reduce steps and keep it simple. The company also offers many educational resources such as step-by-step video tutorials and effective online chat support.

Camera Bundles

Defender offers camera bundles for those customers who want to purchase more than one security camera at one time. Most security bundles have 4K resolution, local recording storage, remote viewing, instant mobile notifications, night viewing, 128 bit bank level encryption to protect your privacy, and weather resistance.

Consumer-Friendly Company

Defender is a consumer-friendly company; it makes returns and shipping effortless on all its models and packages. The company offers a forgiving 45-day return policy, free shipping on all orders, and plenty of support along the way for those who have trouble with their orders. Customer service and support seem to rarely be an issue with this company, which should be comforting for anyone making an investment like a full home surveillance system.

App Options

You can now view your security camera video feeds through the free Defender HD mobile app. The security app also allows for push notifications from motion detection alerts, playback recorded footage, capture images or video straight to your mobile device. Live footage accessible from anywhere offers consumers real-time protection. The app also allows you to easily download and share footage right from the app.

Warranty

If you buy a Defender security system, there are two time frames that you should know. First, your product is covered by a free 12-month warranty. Second, Defender will also provide an additional 12-month limited manufacturer’s warranty to all customers who complete a product review at the company's website within 60 days of the date of purchase.

The warranty covers the following:

• Defects in the workmanship or material
  • Mechanical or electrical failure and defects to original parts and accessories that came with the product

If there is a defect with your product and you request a replacement, Defender will process and test the product within one to two weeks and will then ship a replacement within two to three business days.

Defender notes on its website that if the company replaces a defective unit, the replacement device will have the original warranty from the original purchase date.

The Bad

• Video Recording
  • Cost
  • Lack of Features
  • Defender Security Reviews

Video Recording

While many modern security cameras offer intuitive cloud storage options, the Defender security systems make recording a little more complicated. Most packages come with a DVR unit that must be managed, backed-up, and offloaded of all video clips you'd wish to store.

Without any experience with hard drives and the necessary connections, installation can be difficult. You can always save short snippets from the camera's "live feed" on Defender's mobile device app, but this type of storage has limits.

Cost

Depending on your budget and needs, some of Defender's systems can fall out of range on the cost scale. Some of the wireless systems can be over $800 in listing price. Luckily, many of these higher price surveillance systems are more than the average homeowner would need, but small business owners are a bit out of luck if they're looking for adequate coverage and storage for a larger space. You should be aware that Defender does offer price matching which could bring costs into line with any less expensive competitors.

Lack of Features

Defender security cameras do not come with panning, tilting, or zooming capabilities. This makes identifying details difficult, especially at night or in dark spaces. The lenses also only enable a 48-degree field of view. This severely limits the general field of view and requires the purchase of more extensive packages with additional camera units.

Defender Security Reviews

Although the company doesn't have a large number of reviews yet on its own site, many of the current Defender reviews are negative, highlighting a poor camera range, faulty equipment, and misleading sales tactics. Be sure to read Defender home security reviews below to see what else consumers have to say about the company and its products.

The Bottom Line

Defender's line of security camera packages is a great option for small business owners looking to cover a commercial office space or a warehouse, or homeowners looking for the peace of mind and threat protection that a surveillance system brings.

Prices are quite low compared to other multi-piece security monitoring systems, and they don't sacrifice much when it comes to image quality. Defender security cameras are offered with 4K Ultra-HD cameras that give you 8.3 million pixels, and also a 2K system with night vision capabilities, remote viewing, and local storage options.

That said, the packages may be more than the average homeowner needs. A smaller, less complicated unit at a smaller ticket price will likely suffice much more for home security than a Defender system would.

Defender security reviews are limited, but some of the current reviews are negative, so be sure to see what customers have to say about the security provider before committing to the company's services.

1.8

gary a merrill Omaha, NE

This security system is a great buy. Talk about plug and play, plug in the monitor. plug in the cameras, turn on monitor. That's it, cameras are already paired, color is excellent, very basic, no Wi Fi required. Monitor is very easy to navigate to choose different options. The low price makes it a very good buy.

the Kid Charlotte, NC

system worked "as advertised" for about 2 years - then video (all 4 cams) went out and found it appears temperature related (normal house temp!) - and still works intermittantly useless - web site - no info on replacement components (other than camera) no info on how to get repaired (if even worth the $$)

Anthony Marinella Elizabeth, NJ

I like to say I had a problem with a camera the hue was off it's electronics it happens, So I looked up Defender Support online and started a chat with a Darrielle we went threw a couple of system tests. And it didn't work within 30 mins. I had a email explaining the warranty replacement I took a picture of the screen hue, my receipt and serial number. The next day I got a email saying they are replacing the camera and should have it in 3-5 days. I am very pleased with this company's service and the product itself I brought two defender systems works great

mario pedroza Chino, CA

I bought the 4K1T4B4V2 model system in samsclub.com based on the description, on August 10, 2020 in the description it is announced as a 4K tv lines and 20 fps system, which is a lie, the maximum output of this DVR is 1080P and the max fps is 8fps. I contacted customer service several times to try to solve this but we did not reach any solution, they told me that the system that I bought only has 1080p output and that the 6 and 8 camera systems do have output in 4K Basically to get a real 4K system you would have to buy the 6 or 8 camera systems. The purpose of my complaint is to make this situation known, and that other people are not misled by this company. User's recommendation: Do not buy this system, look for a real 4K security System cameras.

V. Everett Washington, DC

I have a defender camera it goes in and out the picture of the view of the camera and you have to reset it quite often . I think it's good but when you go back to search it still takes a long time to find your searching what you're looking for

Karl Baton Rouge, LA

I now have a box full of useless junk. The system hard-drive scratches loudly ALL NIGHT LONG! Grainy images. Random deletions. Absolutely zero customer service. Do yourself a favor. Just don’t.

Eronid

I purchased the 2k wireless ( not at all wireless because you have to punch holes to mount these cameras) security systems with the 3 bullet IP cameras, men that is the worst experience ever. I forgot my password, reset the system a few times but still cannot get it to work. I called countless times and tried the live chat no one's available. No phone support, no chat support, I mean no support at all. Their videos are useless. I'd give less than a star if their was an option. Now the system is not working just wasted my time and money. It's already too late to return it. Please DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THEM.

Robert Couch Wichita, KS

To Whom It May Concern, Please do not use ADT or their authorized dealer, Defenders, dba, Protect Your Home. I purchased fire detection from them that proved faulty because it did not notify me of the fire before my home was already engulfed in flames and burning down with my 3 dogs inside. Thankfully, I arrived home and was able to rescue my dogs. I was then informed that despite my home burning down I could not suspend or cancel my agreement and would thus have to pay out the remainder of the 36 month term with ADT/Protect Your Home which came out to over $1,000.00. Considering their faulty monitoring as well as equipment, I was more than willing to pay the $1,000 to be done with this company permanently. I was told by ADT/Protect Your Home that they could not issue me any sort of bill or invoice for the required $1,000! I informed ADT/Protect Your Home that I was not willing to issue them a payment of $1,000 without having something in writing stating what I was paying. I was then told by ADT/Protect Your Home, that if I did not pay out the remainder of my contract, despite not having a home for them to service because it had burned to the ground, they would illegally report me to a credit bureau. So not only do they provide a faulty service and a 10 page fine print contract that was obviously drafted by a bunch of attorneys, they made threats against me in violation of credit reporting law. My recourse against them per the contract is to go to arbitration - why are they treating the little customer like this? What sickens me the most is that despite providing a bad smoke detector and my home burning to the ground they still expected me to not only pay out the contract, but were also unwilling to provide me an invoice or statement in order to pay this fee! Please share this with your friends and family so they don't suffer the same fate as me.

Steve W Anchorage, AK

Consumer relations is extremely poor. Resetting a forgotten password is nearly impossible. The online directions do not work. Attempting to contact a company representative by phone is impossible. After several online attempts to contact a rep, they eventually responded. They wanted a copy of a proof of purchase along with a list of personal information. Their list is ridiculous and far exceeds any information required by either my bank or credit card company. My system has been inaccessible for 2 months now, and I am being forced to go out and buy an entirely new system. It will not be from defender-USA.

Patty Hollywood, FL

I responded to a promotion for $19.95 and opted for the $27.99 promotion after being advised by the customer service rep on the phone that the plan would increase to $36.99 after a year. This was completely discussed and the supervisor picked up the call also agreed to include the smoke communicator at no extra charge. The technician came over with a box of goodies and after he reviewed all the options, I said I was not interested in any upgrades at that time, only wanted what came with the plan. I was shocked to later see a contract and forms in my email that included a price of $52.99 with my initials by this amount on various documents that I had not seen before. These documents also had my signature though I had never reviewed or signed them. This business practice is very concerning and is fraudulent and I am considering what actions need to be taken to have this brought to the attention of the appropriate authorities. It is very concerning. My understanding after speaking with someone on the phone today, is that the $27.99 plan requires a land line. I don’t have a land line. This was never said or asked by the rep on the phone. I would not have wasted hours of my time or the technician’s time scheduling installation of a plan that would not work. It is now clear to me that the intended plan was to misrepresent and sell the more expensive product. No other reason to send a technician to a customer’s home if they are unable to accept the service. This is alarming on many levels, including having someone walking around my home, going to every room and is not trustworthy. I am still trying to resolve the issue. I would never do business with this company again or recommend anyone to do so. It is a mistake.

Lyric Albuquerque, NM

SCAM!!!! READ ALL REVIEWS BEFORE DEALING WITH THEM I was never informed about the $322+ camera set up fee. Nor was it in my paperwork but I was charged for it months ago without my knowledge and content. Recently I kept receiving e-mails explaining that some of the paperwork needed (Camera set up fee) was missing. This is fishy due to the fact that I NEVER consented FOR THIS FEE. When I called I was told that the fee was paid for but not the paperwork which is obviously due to me never consenting for this fee. I am still extremely concerned about how things like this are able to happen luckily since the paperwork was MONTHS late the cancelation document was late as well and I am still able to cancel hopefully I receive a FULL REFUND! Lyric​

Candace C. Bowie, MD

I would have given them zero stars if that was an option. This is the worst company EVER!!!! It is a complete scam!!! ADT should be ashamed to be associated with a company that does subpar work, lies and scams you out of money. They prey on homeowners. We still don't have the equipment we were guaranteed, yet they took our money and since they did not deliver the equipment we requested to cancel which now they refuse because they say we are outside the 3 day cancellation. We told them on day 2 we wanted to cancel, but they guaranteed the equipment would be delivered the following week and then on the 7th day after the contract they told us they would not be providing the equipment and refuse to cancel, pick up their equipment and refund money!!! DO NOT USE THEM -- Ackerman Security is much better! Anybody but ADT/PROTECT YOUR HOME/DEFENDERS!!!

JenE Lenoir, NC

The Rep arrived at 5 p.m. Friday, after a long, stressful week. I told him to please be brief as I was tired, but he intimated that his day was JUST as long as mine. Once I told him I didn't appreciate high pressure salesmen, he got kind of nasty with me. After he talked me to death for an hour and a half, I told him I just wanted "it" (his sales pitch) to be OVER! I wanted him to leave. He high pressured me into signing a contract 24 hours ago that I can now not get out of, even though he told me it had a 3 day cancellation policy. I called ADT at 3:30 p.m., who transferred me to Defender, who put me on hold for 3 hours, and then hung up on me. I've read the BBB Reviews, and it's not good. Apparently, you can't get in touch with them within the 3 days allotted for cancellations, and then they charge you $1000+ to cancel. I called them back and spoke to Tina (probably NOT her real name) who told me that they closed at 5, and I had to call them Monday, when I am at work doing my job. I have to be emailed a piece of paper, which I am to fill out and fax back. Even though I called ADT back and told them I'd tried to cancel today, I feel that trying to reach the security company they've now subcontracted to do their installations is impossible, and all they really want is as much money as they can bilk from unsuspecting victims. Had I known that ADT subcontracted it's home security systems to Defender, I most certainly would not have allowed that guy in my door. He's touting his equipment will keep me safe from criminals, but who's to keep me safe from HIM? He high pressured me to sign a contract that is over $50 a month when I was told by the phone rep it would only be $30, but you have to have a hard-wired phone line and service. It doesn't surprise me that they hit-and-run you to accept a package and then disappear for 3 full days to force you into a relationship that is little better than a blood sucking vampire. Yes. Defender SUCKS! Avoid them at all costs. Go with ANY other security company!

Beverly Omaha, NE

The worst service I have ever had. I had to contact Defenders on behalf of a mutual customer who had tried to get a copy of his security certificate from them twice. Was left on hold for 17 minutes after the initial call after being told I was going to be transferred to the correct department who could get the certificate so we could help our mutual customer to obtain a discount on their homeowners insurance. After the transfer I was unexpectedly placed back into a queue and after choosing what I thought was the necessary prompt, reached Trina. I explained to Trina the situation - that our mutual customer had twice requested a copy of their security certificate to be sent to them or faxed directly to us as their agent, but had never received. Trina replied that if the customer would call, they would help the customer. I reiterated that the customer had asked us to inquire on his behalf and that we could provide an account number, name, address, etc. to get the necessary information to get proof that they had monitoring and again, to help our mutual client. Trina never allowed me to give the customer information, and only would say that the customer would have to call. I repeated that I'd been transferred to her by another company representative and told she could provide us the information. Again she said she needed the customer to call in the request. At that point I asked to speak to a manager and she said that the manager would not take the call. I asked for her customer service number and she refused to give it to me. I found Defenders representatives to be completely unprofessional and unhelpful and I feel sorry for anyone who uses their products or service.

Delaney Marvin Rogersville, TN

Defender's with ADT Security IS THE WORST COMPANY IN AMERICA!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! They lie about EVERYTHING! I was promised several things over the phone and when my technician came to install the equipment that same day, he had no clue what I was talking about and refused to help me in anyway. Nicholas H.with defenders was the WORST person I have ever dealt with in customer service! He had lies just flowing out of his mouth like it was Okay! I was declined my military discount and my homeowners insurance discount. I was denied the 8 window censors I was promised, denied the security camera I was promised, I was never shown a contract or terms or conditions. When I asked about them I was told they would be emailed to me with in the hour. I received them 2 days later after complaining to 7 different customer service representatives and at least 4 supervisors. All of these people also lied to me, and told me there was nothing they could do to fix his awful customer service and lies!! What company seriously allows this???? They are totally okay with being totally dishonest to their customers and then having a contract, also the terms and conditions that also lies. Oh and that "contract" I never saw for 2 days and had to print it myself....had a forged signature as mine. I NEVER signed anything with anyone or electronically!! This company is a scam as a whole. I have gotten my notice of cancellation after just 2 horrible, nothing but trouble days with them. My last straw was when I was double charged on the wrong card and before the 1st 72hours were up. When I called ADT about being charged and on the wrong card 2 times ADT tells me they have not even received my contract from Defender yet...its been 2 days and electronically you have not received my contract with my card information? That is so unprofessional and shady of Defender and ADT. This company/companies that are suppose to be linked are so far from that. They are taking people's money and using them with out reprocucctions what so ever. I should have just sent Nicholas Hurd(tech guy) packing as soon as he lied about not being able to give me the discounts and all the other stuff that was promised to me over the phone. Do not take any of their mangers or representatives word about what they are telling you, or that they are taking notes while on the phone with you.....THEY ARE ALL LIEING TO YOU! I was told by multiple representative that they were typing everything into notes for my file. Well, guess what? I got to speak to a manger that told me that there were no notes on my account regarding their wrong doings toward me or what they said they would do to try and keep my business, or at the very least repair my issues. Unbelievable! I am completely in shock and total disappointment that this company ADT/Defender's is this way. They should be put out of business for how they treat their customers in person and on the phone. It is beyond sad the the "#1" security company ADT is a total scam. People who work for ADT or Defender should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of people who are just trying to protect their homes. I will never recommend them to anyone. Do your homework on both companies, read terms &conditions, and make sure you get your contract ,read it before letting the crooks of technicians they send to your home walk out your door. I wish there was something I could legally do to shut them down for good! I will be happy when I am rid of their equipment, and get my $158 Back. Oh I was only suppose to pay $100 not the extra $58. I feel so annoyed by this disservice I could scream and go on for hours about how awful they are, but I've said the main points and will be sharing this review everywhere I possible can to keep another person getting taken advantage of.

Tai Shahid Denver, CO

Worst company out there, they tell you they work for Adt but in reality they don’t, they made me sign up a 36 month contract and 3 days to cancel if I don’t like the services. They tell you they are giving you 3000 in credits towards the equipment, all lie. Two days latter my service not working, tech came out reboot the system and left. 4 days latter alarm is not working again but now I am stuck with the contract. Unreliable system and equipment

Frank 20 Annapolis, MD

This company should not be selling anything, let alone security cameras. I have waited on the phone for over two hours and NOTHING!!!! If you try to go to the chat line, you get a message that it is not on line today. The sad part of this whole thing is that the actual cameras are not that bad, BUT IF YOU WANT ANY KIND OF SUPPORT, YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.!!! THESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE SELLING ON ANY FORMAT, LET ALONE AMAZON!!!!

Tom Vilov Pocomoke City, MD

I purpurchased a PHOENIXM22C two camera wireless security system. I had some questions and discovered that there is no way to speak to a live support specialist, all requests for support have to be submitted as inquires via email. I have submitted two inquiries and am still waiting after two. As far as I am concerned Defender Support SUCKS! For this reason I do not recommend buying any Defender security products.

rick

I have purchase a 8 channel camera system from Qsee and out of the box it works great I purchase a 4 channel system for a home on a island and the system has been nothing but trouble . it took almost 8 months to have someone get the mobile app to work and when I get the mobile system working I have 1 camera that is in place just for the view it is blurry and the customer service from defender sucks I dare you to try to get some one on the phone Good luck don't buy there product if they don't care about the customer only the sale . If you call there sales line they will pick up.

Tamara Owens Fresno, TX

This company is very shady!! They lie and mislead you on everything. The sales people are crooks and the call their managers over the phone (Which I don't know if that's really a manager) and the manager serves broken promises. I have not be able to get any matter I had resolved. Now they are tell me I am stuck in a contract with them for 3 years!! I do not recommend them to anyone. Comcast was way much better.

Frank Ruffin Tucson, AZ

very disappointed with the product (camera freezing repeatedly) and customer service very slow response time and able only to quote from their manual & no actual technical support. After a year of attempting to solve the issue, I have removed the cameras and do not use the system anymore.

Edwin White Fincastle, VA

The older Defender system was better than the new one I installed. The new one sucks BIG TIME! The night vision is about 1/3 the distance of the old ones and the cameras are in the same location as the old ones yet they won't transmit as good. I will NEVER buy Defender again - Chinese junk!

Marc Knoxville, TN

Good luck on warranty claims. I started a support process with them 2.5 months ago, and they keep telling me they do not know what is wrong. They sent new cameras with the same problem, then tell me they cannot replicate the issues I am having. Absolutely no competent support with Defender.

Randall Racine Rio Rico, AZ

I have a defender wireless security system I bought 4 years ago with 8 cameras. I have two wireless cameras bad and cannot find a replacement for them. They discontinued the security system so every who ones this is out of luck. this really sucks

Corinna

This camera sucks would never recommend! Returned it to be repaired came back worse! OUT OF RANGE! What supposed to be repaired lasted 3 hours! Now what? Will not refund or give a different product!

Sunny Perry Springville, UT

Like the online portal to change settings and info. Really easy to use. Dummy friendly.

americo Astoria, NY

been using product for the last 7 years , updated once. they are reliable .

Leo Lakeland, FL

ADT and Defender are DISHONEST. They did us wrong! STAY AWAY FROM THEM or it may cost you dearly. It happened to us.

Mitch Krull Pleasant Grove, UT

Product worked well, a bit overboard on the pricing, but it works so no complaints here.

Shep Blackwood, NJ

Great picture, when you receive it. Range sucks.