Best Company Guarantee Lemonade Logo

Lemonade

8.2

LAST UPDATED: May 26th, 2022

Transforming an industry that generally confuses consumers with complicated technical terms and lacks the latest technology is a sizable task, but that's exactly what Lemonade aims to do.

Lemonade is a licensed insurance company offering homeowners insurance, pet health insurance, and renters insurance in the United States. The company is powered by artificial intelligence behavioral economics and is driven by social good. Lemonade is a certified B-Corp and donates its unused premiums to nonprofits selected by the policyholders.

Video Customer Reviews

Demetrace Williams Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Demetrace Williams

Adeline Ogbor Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Adeline Ogbor

Himanshu Kansal Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Himanshu Kansal

The Good

• Giveback Program
  • Hassle-Free
  • Robust Coverage
  • Financially Rated
  • Certified B-Corporation
  • International Presence

Giveback Program

Traditional insurance companies make a profit by keeping the money they don't pay out in claims. This means that the company loses money every time it pays a claim, giving the company the incentive to deny or delay funds.

Lemonade is unique because instead of keeping the money from your premiums, it donates the unclaimed remainder to charitable organizations.

At the end of the year, Lemonade gives back any leftover money to causes chosen by policyholders and uses reinsurance to cover the cases where the group's claims exceed what's left in the pool.

Lemonade's Giveback program includes charities such as American Red Cross, ACLU, New Story, Teach for America, The Trevor Project, 350.org, Direct Relief, and more.

Hassle-Free

Lemonade is known for being extremely technology-friendly. So it's incredibly simple to sign up and get a quote. While the company advertises that the process only takes about a minute and a half, we think 5 to 10 minutes is more accurate if you're carefully going over the coverage and including everything you know about your home or condo. Once you've entered the necessary information, Lemonade provides you with a monthly quote. From here, you can add coverage, choose your deductible, and check for discounts.

When buying homeowners insurance, you can add your mortgage to your policy, and Lemonade will send your proof of insurance. If you're already insured with a different company, you can easily switch since Lemonade will take care of that process for you.

Robust Coverage

Lemonade offers reasonably extensive coverage that's extremely affordable. The coverage you need will affect your monthly price, but homeowners can expect the following coverage from their basic insurance plan:

• Personal Property — covers theft, damage, or destruction of personal items
  • Reconstruction Costs — covers the cost of repairs to the home
  • Personal Liability — covers medical expenses and legal fees when a guest or neighbor is injured on your property
  • Loss of Use — covers any living expenses if you are forced to leave your home for covered reasons

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for additional personal property coverage. This extra coverage is helpful for expensive jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras, and musical instruments to their policies. You can also quickly add your spouse or significant other to your policy (spouses are free, significant others can be added for a few extra dollars a month), add water back-up coverage (covers damage caused by water coming out of your drain or sewer), and add loss assessment (which covers you if your home or condo association charges you for damage to your building).

Financially Rated

Lemonade received a Financial Stability Rating® of A-Exceptional, from Demotech Inc.

The insurance provider is also reinsured by some of the largest reinsurers in the industry.

Certified B-Corporation

In May 2016, Lemonade became a Public Benefit Corporation and was awarded the provisional B-Corp Certificate (both firsts for an insurance carrier).

According to the Certified B Corporation website, "Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy."

International Presence

Back in 2018, Lemonade announced that it was extending its business to Europe.

In 2019, Lemonade began offering contents and liability insurance in Germany. A year later, the company launched in the Netherlands and 2020 in France.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Not Available Nationwide
  • Some Coverage Gaps

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many Lemonade home insurance reviews, which means an assessment of the customer experience is not available.

Despite this lack of insight, Lemonade's innovations and giveback program make it attractive for people interested in convenience and supporting nonprofits.

Not Available Nationwide

Although Lemonade plans to be available throughout the United States one day, its coverage is still limited.

Lemonade's Homeowners Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Additionally, Lemonade’s Condo Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Lemonade encourages people to stay tuned as the insurer is continually expanding its services.

Coverage Gaps

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade's insurance coverage does not include structural or personal property damage caused by floods. However, this is not unusual as most insurance companies don't offer flood insurance in their base homeowners policies. But if you specifically want flood insurance, you'll need to look at other insurance providers or buy a separate insurance product.

Depending on your location, you can add earthquake coverage to your Lemonade homeowners insurance policy. However, it's only available to homeowners in California and Arkansas.

Lemonade does not cover high-risk dog attacks. This means you're covered if your dog bites someone as long as they're not considered a high-risk breed and don't have a history of aggression.

High-risk breeds include Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and Wolf-hybrids.

The only exception to the breed restriction is if your dog is certified as a seeing guide dog, hearing dog, or is trained to assist the physically disabled.

The Bottom Line

Lemonade's structure and technological innovations make it quite different from a traditional insurance company. Lemonade has become popular due to its low insurance premium rates, social good platform, and its technology-driven and transparent pricing policies.

Homeowners can pay as little as $25 per month for homeowners insurance - of course, your insurance rate will depend on a variety of factors such as how much personal property you have, if you choose to add extra coverage, etc. Lemonade is known for being extremely affordable, so we recommend getting a quote and comparing it to other insurance providers.

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade homeowners insurance doesn't cover everything. Be sure to read the fine print and make sure you're getting the exact coverage you need.

As previously mentioned, a Lemonade policy isn't available nationwide. The company has plans to expand; however, when that will happen isn't disclosed.

While insight on the customer experience is limited, homeowners should anticipate a positive experience when working with Lemonade. The insurance provider aims to transform the insurance industry, and we applaud the company's dedication to providing consumers with a fast, affordable, and hassle-free experience.

Disclosure: Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Privacy Policy, Best Company will not sell the information you provide to us on this page or the information we collect automatically on this page to any third parties.

Message from
Lemonade

Lemonade has reversed the traditional insurance model. Instead of profiting from unclaimed premiums, they take a flat fee, and donate whatever may be left, after paying claims and expenses, to charities of your choice called Giveback.

They treat the premiums you pay as if it's your money, not theirs.

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance provides robust coverage, including reconstruction costs, personal property, liability coverage, loss of use and more.

Sign up via Lemonade’s free app. If you want to chat with someone about your policy or coverage, there are delightful customer experience agents waiting to take your call.

You can get a quote via the free app or website. Claims are handled by our AI and devoted team. File a claim quickly and hassle-free with the Lemonade app.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down
bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

4.8

Dion Cozamanis Egg Harbor, NJ

Just amazing customer service !! Fast and efficient claims , they don’t low ball your estimate, in fact the overestimate it to give you cushion in choosing a great company to fit your personal needs . I would recommend this company to anyone as I have to my whole family and friends already. I don’t write reviews but it’s so refreshing to have a honest caring company in a crazy evil world. Thank you Lemonade!!! Yes that name makes you laugh 😂 Go lemonade!!!

1 day ago

Gourav Soni Thousand Oaks, CA

Hands down, the most responsive company. Great customer service. Ashley was kind and patient and broke down complex insurance coverage information into simple english for our understanding. Easy claim process. I felt like Lemonade was batting for me.

Alicia F. B. West Orange, NJ

Lemonade’s customer service has been great since we’ve started working with them. We’ve dealt with insurance contract updates, claims, and acting as a liaison between our lender and Lemonade, and they’ve been great with any issues big or small. What’s more, I’m pleased that I’m able to support my favorite charitable organizations in conjunction with my home insurance. I highly recommend Lemonade for buyers and renters alike.

Ajay Kori Washington, DC

Great service and technology makes it easy to even *love* your insurance company. had my bike stolen and they stayed on top of the case until it was resolved. would never use another insurance company...

1 day ago

Francis Ricci New York, NY

Once I filed my claim, it was pretty straightforward to get it paid out. However, I didn’t end up filing the claim for more than 4 months after the incident, because no one from lemonade would talk to me about the process (my damage was caused by another apartment) before I filed. They said my premiums would go up if I filed, so I was in no-man’s land for quite some time.

Ranjana Sanjay Frisco, TX

First of all signing up for insurance was super easy about 2 years back. Recently I filled a claim for hail damage to the roof and claim process was super simple and smooth. Scott kept me up to date with the complete process. Highly recommended.

Amanda Columbus, GA

This is the BEST home owners insurance I have ever had. We had a claim last year and they were so much easier to work with than any other local company I’ve had in the past. Plus, the premium is $500 cheaper a year than a local company. They are amazing and so helpful!!

Eduardo Desabelle Katy, TX

Very quick response on our first ever claim. As a first time homeowner, Chyloh really went above and beyond when filing our first claim. From start to finish, he was there every step of the way, guiding us what to expect. We couldn't have asked a better claims rep handling our case. Thank you for everything!

Gloria Aquino Menifee, CA

The claims process was easy and the Lemonade app format high tech! Claims replied quickly and Lauren took time to explain the process in an unhurried, courteous manner. They were accessible via email and phone which I appreciated. I try to take things step by step to not add the stress of overthinking things. Lemonade's prompt replies and actions alleviated that stress. Thanks, Lemonade!

Vupegui Lake Forest, CA

Lemonade was amazing in handling my claim which impacted the use of my kitchen and bathroom during the holidays. Benjamin was very professional and attentive during the claim process and throughout the entire ordeal. I am so happy that I chose Lemonade Insurance over the other companies and their online service and professional staff members are second to none. Ben is a true professional and quite knowledgeable in the field which certainly eased my anxiety and helped me cope with the emergency at my home. I highly recommend Ben and his team at Lemonade.

Liza Linsao Monterey, CA

It was complete panic mode when we found sudden water damage in our new home, but Desiree was absolutely awesome in explaining every step of the process, answering our questions, and taking care of us so that our stressful situation wasn't as stressful and overwhelming as I'm sure it could have been. She was attentive, responsive, understanding and always a pleasure to deal with. Thank you Desiree and Lemonade!

Trevor Sloan Dayton, OH

Ben made everything super easy and got our claim handled at lightning speed! I've never filed a claim before as this is my first house. I'm so thankful for all the useful information to help me understand the process!

Amy Askey Chicago, IL

Was with Lemonade only 2 months when my condo flooded so was extremely concerned on how it would go. It went better than expected! They run their company smarter than others Ive been with which in the end pays off for everyone. Highly recommend .

Andrew Coleman Williamsburg, VA

There friendly and quick response. There was no price haggling we showed them the damaged items. Made a list of the cost of replacements, along with a description of the product from the web. Within days payment was deposited directly in to our account

Vincent HE MA

Lemonade actioned very quickly about my claim, and Carly is very helpful on my case. She asked some documents from me and asked some details about the incident. The claim got approved very smoothly, I'm very happy about that!

James R New Jersey, NJ

I have interacted with several folks who work at lemonade, all were of the highest caliber, quick, courteous, and competent (looking at you Nekeyma!). I like lemonade for its stripped down and efficient communication methods but what I love about lemonade is its people. James

Michael Kersey Liverpool, NY

This was the first time in our lives either of us needed to use a Homeowner's insurance claim. Our experience with Lemonade (Ben) was great. Very prompt responses and our claim was processed within a matter of a day or two. Can't recommend Lemonade enough! Thank you!

Nitay Gold San Diego, CA

I have been very lucky to choose Lemonade as my homeowner insurance provider. A month after we moved into our new home, we found a leak in the kitchen. Lemonade was great to deal with from beginning to end. They were truly reasonable with the way they approach the situation and never left us frustrated. Our insurance slightly went up but it is a nonreplaceable option for us as we could not believe there could be a better homeowner insurance company that could have handled our situation better.

Seth Geist Las Vegas, NV

Not only does Lemonade offer affordable insurance rates, but when we actually had to file a homeowners claim due to a massive plumbing leak in our kitchen and bathroom area, they made the experience less stressful and we’re very helpful in helping us to sort things out. I would highly recommend Lemonade to anyone that is looking for renter’s or homeowner’s insurance.

Emily Seferovich Portland, OR

The lemonade team acted as true advocates for me in a crappy situation. I am beyond impressed with their commitment to an excellent customer experience. Christy went above and beyond to help us deal with a very unfortunate theft situation. We had tried to deal with State Farm on this claim previously and I was treated very poorly by their claim specialist (they felt much more like an adversary than an ally). I'm really glad we chose to work with Lemonade for our HOI! <3

Robert Morris Cypress, CA

I had a slow leak that caused a lot of damage on a my raised foundation home. It caused damage to the sub floor. The bathroom had to be demolished and the carpet in the bedroom was due to floor damage. It was easy to submit a claim online and the people from Lemonade (home owner insurance) were more than willing to help navigate the claim process. After the inspection of the damage and the inspector's report was submitted the claim was funded in a matter of days and not a matter of weeks. Thank you Lemonade.

Shawn T. Appleton, WI

Easy. No hassle. Was skeptical about how hands-off the sign up process seemed, but figured home claims were rare enough we'd try to trim some cost and sign up with Lemonade. Was very nervous as a 10+ year homeowner when a hail storm rolled through, and we had to make our very first claim with a very new (and relatively unknown in my area) company that I had just learned about and signed up for not long before..... exceeded my expectations and then some... painless process and they provided exceptional customer service throughout! I'd say almost too easy to be true but our claim is final, there was no back and forth hassle, they gave us a fair assessment from the start and our new roof will be going on as soon as weather permits! We've had a few different policies over the years in addition to car insurance with the traditional carriers, and the entire process with Lemonade was simple, straightforward and more painless than any other insurance sign up or claim (compared to our auto experience) we've dealt with. I'd definitely recommend them (Lemonade) and we'll be sticking with them for the foreseeable future.

W Thomas Oldroyd Daytona Beach, FL

Overall I am happy with Lemonade. This is my first year using them for my condo insurance. Everyone has always been very polite and professional. I am not accustomed to using my insurance benefits so when I made my first claim there were some new experiences - which I was able to complete using the app. What was especially nice was they sent a construction rep to come out to see the damage and write a detailed report about what needed to be done to complete the necessary repair. It did take a while to get the final estimate but it was very detailed which I greatly appreciate the detail drawing and description as it will help me with hiring a company to perform the repairs next month. So thanks to Lemonade for their help.

Christopher Brown Houston, TX

Amberia was fantastic,,,she got people out to survey the roof the very next day and the whole claim was processed in less than a week...start to finish!

Gwen Murphy Capitol Heights, MD

I was not happy with my claim process. It took too long to send an adjuster to my home to access the damage. My home was exposed to more damage than it should have been. I had to pay out of my pocket to get a temporary fix to the roof/gutters. I had to remind you to reimburse me after I finally got some funds to begin the repairs to my home. I’m not happy with the claims process I received, I hope you’ll work to improve and process claims in a timely manner to avoid further property damage. Best Regards, Gwen

Sabin Shakya

Overall process was super smooth. Ricardo was awesome. He made sure my entire claim process was smooth and without any issues. I am a loyal customer for good.

Brad Evans Springtown, TX

I had such a positive experience with a roof that was damaged during a storm. Lemonade did a great job and even stepped up when additional damage was found. A+ for this insurance company.

Fabian Difilippo Las Vegas, NV

To who it may concern my advocate was Desiree, she was very helpful through these heart times that we went through , And resolve our problem as soon as she could and that she done thank you so much all for your help ❤️

THM Dallas, TX

My claim filing process was easy. My agent was very helpful and attentive. I have severe social anxiety, so making a video of myself explaining the issue was very difficult and anxiety inducing for me. I wish I didn't have to do that at all.

Terri Henderson Pasadena, MD

Lemonade made the whole claim process so very easy. Their service was impeccable. Brittany handled our claim and was a pleasure to deal with. Everyone at Lemonade was more than helpful. Thank you for such a great experience!

Julia Tyagi Schwenksville, PA

Very smooth and quick claim processing with Lemonade. Jeremy (our adjuster) reached out as soon as we submitted the claim. Once all the information was gathered, estimate performed and reviewed, our claim was approved and we received the money for all the necessary repairs. Thank you, Jeremy and the claim team!

Aaron Salkeld Staunton, VA

Chyloh was extremely helpful. In general having a human to talk to about whether you should even file a claim or if it is not something your home insurance could help you with before you start the A.I. claim process would be useful.

K B Duluth, GA

Unlike other Home insurance companies, Premium is lower, service was super. My roofing claim was processed smoothly by their team. everything from signing up till date is recommendation worthy. A very happy customer. Thanks Lemonade!

Gaspar Cruz Shirley, NY

I had a leak in my garage that took months to determine who was at fault due to the HOA gatekeeping vital information. The astounding patience and determination of Ashley O. from Lemonade made my claim less of a headache than originally presented. They stuck with me through and through and did an incredible job explaining the process step by step.

Viraj Talpade Chula Vista, CA

Our adjuster Felisia was extremely helpful, quick and knowledgeable while working on our claim and we couldn't have hoped for a better experience from our insurance provider. I'm glad we've picked Lemonade to insure our home and can't wait for them to begin offering other insurance products in my state!

LE037 Taylor, TX

Lemonade has been so helpful with my claim. The process was really simple, and I have no experience with filing a claim so that was awesome. The adjuster was prompt, and I don't really have any complaints. Overall, I'm satisfied with my decision to use Lemonade for my home insurance.

Steph Glendale, CA

This was my first time filing a claim with Lemonade. Erin was extremely helpful and processed my claim without increasing my stress or making me feel defensive in only 1 day! The money was deposited into my account within 3 days of my initial claim being made. Highly impressed and happy I could trust that my insurance would pay for what it said it would pay for.

Sarah Love Irvine, CA

Lemonade has changed the way I think about insurance, it’s such a seamless experience and they offer great custom service. It’s apparent that this is a company that cares about its customers. They treat you like a friend. Even the funny memes they include in their emails tell you they’re down to earth and want to make ever interaction enjoyable.

Patricia Baldrich St Louis, MO

Great company. They were very responsive and very fast reviewing our claim. I would recommend them with not doubt.

M Ridge San Diego, CA

super easy to make a claim. Just video tape telling what is wrong. Lemonade assigned professionals to come to estimate and everything went smoothly.

Diane Garnett Central Islip, NY

My experience with Lemonade was excellent! I liked the customer service because it was fast and easy. The agent was knowledgeable and helpful throughout the entire process.

stephanie limeric GA

This is a no frills company. They are straight forward and process claims fast. They explain well and do just what an insurance company should do. Protect me.

Jiwon Torrance, CA

Water damage from upstairs condo unit. Filing a claim was easy. Field adjuster was assigned promptly and came out pretty fast. However, it did end up taking 3 months before the claim was approved. I'm not sure if that would be okay for people who do not have enough to pay for the repairs upfront.

Peter Russotti Brooklyn, NY

Lemonade handled my claim extremely smoothly and quickly. I couldn't be happier with the assistance I received from them every step of the way and will now switch over my other insurances products to them as well.

Lauren LaMar Tampa, FL

No insurance company wants to pay out for damages in your home and it’s obvious that after the second claim you guys were tired of me. I didn’t ask for the damages to happen. I would have liked to feel more supported by Bobbe my claims specialist. They didn’t pay out what they were supposed to. My first claim was with Maya and she was great and I felt supported through the process. Nobody wants their house to fall a part it felt nice they someone actually cared.

Nxx Wang Port Jefferson Station, NY

Easy to get quotes and purchase the policy. Easy to contact and issues get to solved really efficiently. Didn’t have to wait on the phone for long time at all. Claim gets settled in a timely manner. Very pleased.

Cari Jackson Carlsbad, CA

Lemonade was the easiest company I’ve ever worked with to make a claim. They came right out, approved the repair amount and wired me money. Their app and tech are first rate and it was such a positive experience.

Mark Obengduro

Claim process for my roof was very quick. Lemonade app is very user friendly and easy to navigate. Once my claim was filed, the assigned agent was very helpful and responsive. Agent worked with my contractor and made several follow on adjustments to get my roof done right.

Laura Dommes Sacramento, CA

Lemonade (Ashley specifically) have been really great in helping me manage my claim. Being my first time making a claim it was really awesome to have Ashley there to guide me through the process. I am very impressed with the responsiveness and help I have received!

Edda Osaba Riverside, CA

Lauren was very quick with her responses. During the holidays it was challenging to get work started and Lauren was very apologetic. I would highly recommend Lemonade Insurance to everyone because of Laurens attention to our claim.