Lemonade Logo

Lemonade

8.5

Transforming an industry that generally confuses consumers with complicated technical terms and lacks the latest technology is a sizable task, but that's exactly what Lemonade aims to do.

Lemonade is a licensed insurance company offering homeowners insurance, pet health insurance, and renters insurance in the United States. The company is powered by artificial intelligence behavioral economics and is driven by social good. Lemonade is a certified B-Corp and donates its unused premiums to nonprofits selected by the policyholders.

Video Customer Reviews

Demetrace Williams Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Demetrace Williams

The Good

• Giveback Program
  • Hassle-Free
  • Robust Coverage
  • Financially Rated
  • Certified B-Corporation
  • International Presence

Giveback Program

Traditional insurance companies make a profit by keeping the money they don't pay out in claims. This means that the company loses money every time it pays a claim, giving the company the incentive to deny or delay funds.

Lemonade is unique because instead of keeping the money from your premiums, it donates the unclaimed remainder to charitable organizations.

At the end of the year, Lemonade gives back any leftover money to causes chosen by policyholders and uses reinsurance to cover the cases where the group's claims exceed what's left in the pool.

Lemonade's Giveback program includes charities such as American Red Cross, ACLU, New Story, Teach for America, The Trevor Project, 350.org, Direct Relief, and more.

Hassle-Free

Lemonade is known for being extremely technology-friendly. So it's incredibly simple to sign up and get a quote. While the company advertises that the process only takes about a minute and a half, we think 5 to 10 minutes is more accurate if you're carefully going over the coverage and including everything you know about your home or condo. Once you've entered the necessary information, Lemonade provides you with a monthly quote. From here, you can add coverage, choose your deductible, and check for discounts.

When buying homeowners insurance, you can add your mortgage to your policy, and Lemonade will send your proof of insurance. If you're already insured with a different company, you can easily switch since Lemonade will take care of that process for you.

Robust Coverage

Lemonade offers reasonably extensive coverage that's extremely affordable. The coverage you need will affect your monthly price, but homeowners can expect the following coverage from their basic insurance plan:

• Personal Property — covers theft, damage, or destruction of personal items
  • Reconstruction Costs — covers the cost of repairs to the home
  • Personal Liability — covers medical expenses and legal fees when a guest or neighbor is injured on your property
  • Loss of Use — covers any living expenses if you are forced to leave your home for covered reasons

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for additional personal property coverage. This extra coverage is helpful for expensive jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras, and musical instruments to their policies. You can also quickly add your spouse or significant other to your policy (spouses are free, significant others can be added for a few extra dollars a month), add water back-up coverage (covers damage caused by water coming out of your drain or sewer), and add loss assessment (which covers you if your home or condo association charges you for damage to your building).

Financially Rated

Lemonade received a Financial Stability Rating® of A-Exceptional, from Demotech Inc.

The insurance provider is also reinsured by some of the largest reinsurers in the industry.

Certified B-Corporation

In May 2016, Lemonade became a Public Benefit Corporation and was awarded the provisional B-Corp Certificate (both firsts for an insurance carrier).

According to the Certified B Corporation website, "Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy."

International Presence

Back in 2018, Lemonade announced that it was extending its business to Europe.

In 2019, Lemonade began offering contents and liability insurance in Germany. A year later, the company launched in the Netherlands and 2020 in France.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Not Available Nationwide
  • Some Coverage Gaps

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many Lemonade home insurance reviews, which means an assessment of the customer experience is not available.

Despite this lack of insight, Lemonade's innovations and giveback program make it attractive for people interested in convenience and supporting nonprofits.

Not Available Nationwide

Although Lemonade plans to be available throughout the United States one day, its coverage is still limited.

Lemonade's Homeowners Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Additionally, Lemonade’s Condo Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Lemonade encourages people to stay tuned as the insurer is continually expanding its services.

Coverage Gaps

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade's insurance coverage does not include structural or personal property damage caused by floods. However, this is not unusual as most insurance companies don't offer flood insurance in their base homeowners policies. But if you specifically want flood insurance, you'll need to look at other insurance providers or buy a separate insurance product.

Depending on your location, you can add earthquake coverage to your Lemonade homeowners insurance policy. However, it's only available to homeowners in California and Arkansas.

Lemonade does not cover high-risk dog attacks. This means you're covered if your dog bites someone as long as they're not considered a high-risk breed and don't have a history of aggression.

High-risk breeds include Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and Wolf-hybrids.

The only exception to the breed restriction is if your dog is certified as a seeing guide dog, hearing dog, or is trained to assist the physically disabled.

The Bottom Line

Lemonade's structure and technological innovations make it quite different from a traditional insurance company. Lemonade has become popular due to its low insurance premium rates, social good platform, and its technology-driven and transparent pricing policies.

Homeowners can pay as little as $25 per month for homeowners insurance - of course, your insurance rate will depend on a variety of factors such as how much personal property you have, if you choose to add extra coverage, etc. Lemonade is known for being extremely affordable, so we recommend getting a quote and comparing it to other insurance providers.

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade homeowners insurance doesn't cover everything. Be sure to read the fine print and make sure you're getting the exact coverage you need.

As previously mentioned, a Lemonade policy isn't available nationwide. The company has plans to expand; however, when that will happen isn't disclosed.

While insight on the customer experience is limited, homeowners should anticipate a positive experience when working with Lemonade. The insurance provider aims to transform the insurance industry, and we applaud the company's dedication to providing consumers with a fast, affordable, and hassle-free experience.

Disclosure: Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Privacy Policy, Best Company will not sell the information you provide to us on this page or the information we collect automatically on this page to any third parties.

Message from
Lemonade

Lemonade has reversed the traditional insurance model. Instead of profiting from unclaimed premiums, they take a flat fee, and donate whatever may be left, after paying claims and expenses, to charities of your choice called Giveback. They treat the premiums you pay as if it's your money, not theirs. Lemonade’s homeowners insurance provides robust coverage, including reconstruction costs, personal property, liability coverage, loss of use and more. Sign up via Lemonade’s free app. If you want to chat with someone about your policy or coverage, there are delightful customer experience agents waiting to take your call. You can get a quote via the free app or website. Claims are handled by our AI and devoted team. File a claim quickly and hassle-free with the Lemonade app.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

5.0

Ryan Gunderson

Sick of annual double digit insurance premium increases? I sure am. Unfortunately I had to use my Lemonade homeowners insurance during my first year, but the claims experience was painless. And despite the claim, my renewal rate is only 1% higher than last year. Around the same time Lemonade told me about my 1% increase, my pet insurance told me about their double digit premium increase (even though I’ve never made a claim). Thankfully, I was able to switch to Lemonade for a substantial decrease on pet insurance. I’m looking forward to getting a quote on Lemonade auto insurance once it’s available in my state.

Sarkis Studio City, CA

Dalton and the entire Lemonade team made our stressful time a very pleasant time. From excellent communication (they were literally on it from start to finish) to a super speedy process. Our claim was processed with ease and a partnership in mind, making this very smooth for me and my family. You guys rock! Thank you!

Reggie Houston, TX

I’m not gonna lie, the thought of having to file a roof damage claim on an app scared me at first. But after the initial questionnaire I got connected with Ricardo and it could not have gone any smoother. The lemonade team was very helpful and quick about sending an estimator out to assess the damage. We were informed quickly after that that We would be needing to replace our roof. Ricardo our claims adjuster was very helpful and answered all my questions very quickly throughout the whole process. No complaints!

Juanita Ransom-Ashmon Ft. Washington, MD

I never had a problem with my claims and all the adjusters who handled my claim were understanding, patient and never hesitated with getting my claim filed. They always stayed in touch and made sure I understood what was going throughout the whole process.

Demetrace Williams Milwaukee, WI

Lemonade is THEE best home insurance out there. They work for you abs they don’t make you feel bad, if you have to file a claim. If they had auto insurance they would be unstoppable. Thank you again Lemonade abs John V. for your help and quick approval.

Kunal Wadhwa Aurora, CO

Lemonade and Sean (Lemonade Claims Team) have been really kind and helpful in resolving our claim. He worked with a professional Inspection officer, who did a thorough a inspection of our house. The overall estimate that we received from Sean was extremely detailed. We received our insurance money in a couple of days, and had no hassle in running behind the insurance company unlike other ones in the market. I would refer Lemonade Insurance to all of my friends. Much appreciated.

Shrav Ravi Alexandria, VA

Vienna was very helpful, and she assisted me through my first claim. Even though I was nervous, she ensured things went smoothly and as quickly as possibly.

Mallory Estepp Flat Rock, MI

Cameron with Claims was very quick and helpful with my claims. Much appreciate the fast response and turnaround to help me with my drain back up and ruined basement! It made the whole situation much less stressful.

Rockmeetspaper 1 Los Angeles, CA

During my difficult situation, Lemonade has made the claim process easy to begin. The response time in answering my questions and efforts to resolve have been outstanding. The outcome of my claim is irrelevant to my feedback? As Lemonade took my obstacles and concerns with personal care and worked with me to help me understand my options.

Orlando Bustos Keller, TX

The overall experience with the claims process with the Lemonade platform and customer service was very smooth from start to finish! I immediately received the funds to start the replacement of my roof. Ricardo from customer service was awesome to work with and a consummate professional. Kudos!

Charalampos bilitsis Brooklyn, NY

When I had a roof leek , lemonade was there in a flash . A very sweet nice adjuster came out to review my claim, and my claim was processed in record time! Funds were delivered and next thing you know I was off fixing the issue

Elena Zakrutaeva Austin, TX

I couldn't be happier with all the timely support I received from Lemonade and its people who helped me to navigate the process of claim application and going through all of the further steps. Their quick and detailed responses made the whole process less stressful, and more understandable and manageable to me.

haderdaraide Chicago, IL

It actually felt pretty personal, I was talking to someone the entire time, he kept me posted on all the stages, and there were a lot of moving parts. He kept me updated, called me regularly to give me updates, etc. I would highly recommend trying to work with Sean from the claims team, he was really great to work with. Recommend forsure

Adeline Ogbor Chicago, IL

When a disaster happens it can be heart ache but my representative made the process of making my claim a breeze. Thank you 🙏🏾

Qiana Chicago, IL

We filed a claim with Lemonade and they addressed our claim promptly and expediently. Lemonade is a great insurance provider.

Prayer Ministry Smyrna, GA

Lemonade insurance works hard to make sure your home is taken care of and that you get everything covered within your policy. Kind, efficient, and the best around!

Monica Hayes Grand Rapids, MI

All of my representatives were effective and answered all of my questions.

Angela Chung Queens, NY

Great experience with their claims advocate who helped us every step of the way!

Chris Avgoustis Detroit, MI

Quick and painless process making a claim. I made the claim and in under 8 hours my claim was settled!

Ehsan Hafezi Irvine, CA

I like Lemonade for the reasonable premium amount it charges and for the prompt service at issuance, renewal, and claim processing times.

Larry Larkin

Handled Claim quickly and keep me informed the whole way through. Never had a better experience with a claim.

Bryan Turner Brooklyn, NY

Great experience with my claim with Lemonade! Highly recommend!

Bear Evans San Antonio, TX

Easy. Simple. No smoke screens. Got all the money we needed for anew roof ! Thank you

Julio Estela Bellmore, NY

The claims process included the thorough collection of information upfront so that I did not need to repeat anything when the adjuster was assigned. The claim was approved within a few hours and the money was in my bank account within a day. It was also explained that any of the actual costs exceeded what they estimated, to just let them know and they'd pay the difference. Super simple, efficient and fair!

Seth Lee Queens, NY

Amazing experience. Super fast and communication was top notch