Lemonade Logo

Lemonade

9.9

LAST UPDATED: October 21st, 2021

Transforming an industry that generally confuses consumers with complicated technical terms and lacks the latest technology is a sizable task, but that's exactly what Lemonade aims to do.

Lemonade is a licensed insurance company offering homeowners insurance, pet health insurance, and renters insurance in the United States. The company is powered by artificial intelligence behavioral economics and is driven by social good. Lemonade is a certified B-Corp and donates its unused premiums to nonprofits selected by the policyholders.

Video Customer Reviews

Adeline Ogbor Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Adeline Ogbor

Demetrace Williams Customer Review Video About Lemonade

Demetrace Williams

The Good

• Giveback Program
  • Hassle-Free
  • Robust Coverage
  • Financially Rated
  • Certified B-Corporation
  • International Presence

Giveback Program

Traditional insurance companies make a profit by keeping the money they don't pay out in claims. This means that the company loses money every time it pays a claim, giving the company the incentive to deny or delay funds.

Lemonade is unique because instead of keeping the money from your premiums, it donates the unclaimed remainder to charitable organizations.

At the end of the year, Lemonade gives back any leftover money to causes chosen by policyholders and uses reinsurance to cover the cases where the group's claims exceed what's left in the pool.

Lemonade's Giveback program includes charities such as American Red Cross, ACLU, New Story, Teach for America, The Trevor Project, 350.org, Direct Relief, and more.

Hassle-Free

Lemonade is known for being extremely technology-friendly. So it's incredibly simple to sign up and get a quote. While the company advertises that the process only takes about a minute and a half, we think 5 to 10 minutes is more accurate if you're carefully going over the coverage and including everything you know about your home or condo. Once you've entered the necessary information, Lemonade provides you with a monthly quote. From here, you can add coverage, choose your deductible, and check for discounts.

When buying homeowners insurance, you can add your mortgage to your policy, and Lemonade will send your proof of insurance. If you're already insured with a different company, you can easily switch since Lemonade will take care of that process for you.

Robust Coverage

Lemonade offers reasonably extensive coverage that's extremely affordable. The coverage you need will affect your monthly price, but homeowners can expect the following coverage from their basic insurance plan:

• Personal Property — covers theft, damage, or destruction of personal items
  • Reconstruction Costs — covers the cost of repairs to the home
  • Personal Liability — covers medical expenses and legal fees when a guest or neighbor is injured on your property
  • Loss of Use — covers any living expenses if you are forced to leave your home for covered reasons

Lemonade customers can add extra coverage for additional personal property coverage. This extra coverage is helpful for expensive jewelry, fine art, bikes, cameras, and musical instruments to their policies. You can also quickly add your spouse or significant other to your policy (spouses are free, significant others can be added for a few extra dollars a month), add water back-up coverage (covers damage caused by water coming out of your drain or sewer), and add loss assessment (which covers you if your home or condo association charges you for damage to your building).

Financially Rated

Lemonade received a Financial Stability Rating® of A-Exceptional, from Demotech Inc.

The insurance provider is also reinsured by some of the largest reinsurers in the industry.

Certified B-Corporation

In May 2016, Lemonade became a Public Benefit Corporation and was awarded the provisional B-Corp Certificate (both firsts for an insurance carrier).

According to the Certified B Corporation website, "Certified B Corporations are businesses that meet the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose. B Corps are accelerating a global culture shift to redefine success in business and build a more inclusive and sustainable economy."

International Presence

Back in 2018, Lemonade announced that it was extending its business to Europe.

In 2019, Lemonade began offering contents and liability insurance in Germany. A year later, the company launched in the Netherlands and 2020 in France.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Not Available Nationwide
  • Some Coverage Gaps

Limited Customer Insight

Best Company has not received many Lemonade home insurance reviews, which means an assessment of the customer experience is not available.

Despite this lack of insight, Lemonade's innovations and giveback program make it attractive for people interested in convenience and supporting nonprofits.

Not Available Nationwide

Although Lemonade plans to be available throughout the United States one day, its coverage is still limited.

Lemonade's Homeowners Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Additionally, Lemonade’s Condo Insurance is not available to residents of the following states:

• Alaska
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

Lemonade encourages people to stay tuned as the insurer is continually expanding its services.

Coverage Gaps

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade's insurance coverage does not include structural or personal property damage caused by floods. However, this is not unusual as most insurance companies don't offer flood insurance in their base homeowners policies. But if you specifically want flood insurance, you'll need to look at other insurance providers or buy a separate insurance product.

Depending on your location, you can add earthquake coverage to your Lemonade homeowners insurance policy. However, it's only available to homeowners in California and Arkansas.

Lemonade does not cover high-risk dog attacks. This means you're covered if your dog bites someone as long as they're not considered a high-risk breed and don't have a history of aggression.

High-risk breeds include Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Chows, Great Danes, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, and Wolf-hybrids.

The only exception to the breed restriction is if your dog is certified as a seeing guide dog, hearing dog, or is trained to assist the physically disabled.

The Bottom Line

Lemonade's structure and technological innovations make it quite different from a traditional insurance company. Lemonade has become popular due to its low insurance premium rates, social good platform, and its technology-driven and transparent pricing policies.

Homeowners can pay as little as $25 per month for homeowners insurance - of course, your insurance rate will depend on a variety of factors such as how much personal property you have, if you choose to add extra coverage, etc. Lemonade is known for being extremely affordable, so we recommend getting a quote and comparing it to other insurance providers.

Homeowners should keep in mind that Lemonade homeowners insurance doesn't cover everything. Be sure to read the fine print and make sure you're getting the exact coverage you need.

As previously mentioned, a Lemonade policy isn't available nationwide. The company has plans to expand; however, when that will happen isn't disclosed.

While insight on the customer experience is limited, homeowners should anticipate a positive experience when working with Lemonade. The insurance provider aims to transform the insurance industry, and we applaud the company's dedication to providing consumers with a fast, affordable, and hassle-free experience.

Disclosure: Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Privacy Policy, Best Company will not sell the information you provide to us on this page or the information we collect automatically on this page to any third parties.

Message from
Lemonade

Lemonade has reversed the traditional insurance model. Instead of profiting from unclaimed premiums, they take a flat fee, and donate whatever may be left, after paying claims and expenses, to charities of your choice called Giveback.

They treat the premiums you pay as if it's your money, not theirs.

Lemonade’s homeowners insurance provides robust coverage, including reconstruction costs, personal property, liability coverage, loss of use and more.

Sign up via Lemonade’s free app. If you want to chat with someone about your policy or coverage, there are delightful customer experience agents waiting to take your call.

You can get a quote via the free app or website. Claims are handled by our AI and devoted team. File a claim quickly and hassle-free with the Lemonade app.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

5.0

Eileen Haas Azle, TX

We have had a great experience with Lemonade. We have rarely had home owner’s claims, only one between 1998-2019. But due to weather in Texas, we’ve had three claims in the last year. Lemonade is so easy to work with, from buying insurance to filing claims. Customer Service is exceptional and everyone there seems very knowledgable. We usually change home insurance yearly, or at least every two years, but we will stay with Lemonade. Highly recommend!

11 hours ago

marty

i was very happy with my experience with lemonade. i had never made a claim on my home owners ins. before and marilyn explained to me everything i needed to do. She was very professional, courteous, and friendly. the whole process was painless and everything was taken care in a timely manor. thank you to everyone involved. sincerley marty

E Augustine Las Vegas, NV

I was forced to get Renter's insurance through my apartment complex. I came across Lemonade insurance and figured it was inexpensive so I'd roll with it. Fortunately I didn't need them. I moved into a house and decided to continue with the same insurance company, I mean why not right?!? Well I'm so glad I did! We had a water leak and our floors were damaged. I filed an online claim with Lemonade Insurance, and everything went smoothly. They just needed pictures, the inspection report, and the info from the home warranty company. The total process was a little over 2 weeks and the funds to fix the damages was in my account. Thank you Desiree and the Lemonade Team for making this stress-free.

Jane Bond Flemington, NJ

Our house flooded because the so-called remnants of Hurricane Ida dropped a lot of rain and this caused massive, fast-moving water to come blasting down the small hill behind us. It broke a first floor window and continued until the entire floor flooded ( 6-12 inches - "sunken" family room). I used Lemonade's very intuitive app to register a claim and received follow-up within a 2 hours from a claims specialist. I don't have Flood Insurance (and could never before imagine needing it), I do have a policy add-on which provided me with some money. I filed on Thursday and the money was in my account as of first thing Tuesday morning (even with the 3 day weekend) I really appreciated the speed because a 20 yard dumpster costs a chunk of money and we have a lot of sodden and already moldy walls, baseboards, flooring and furniture to get out off our driveway. Kudos all around: upfront process, pleasant helpful staff, fast resolution. A truly BS-free experience.

Peter Darus Santa Clarita, CA

Jeremy and the Lemonade team that helped were incredible! From the time of my loss to getting paid for the claim was less than 16 days! No hassle, or difficulties in the process! Great job!,

MARIA PEREZ North Hills, CA

I MARIA PEREZ, HAVE HAD THE BEST EXPERIENCE WITH THE LEMONADE TEAM. THEY HAVE HANDLED ALL MY CLAIMS, IN A TIMELY MANNER, MEANING THAT THEY START WORKING ON THE CASE RIGHT AWAY. THANK YOU MARIA PEREZ

Nicole vonDohlen Westport, CT

As a relatively new customer of Lemonade and after making my first claim, Ben Enders was wonderful to work with and made the entire process easy, pleasant and smooth. A great digital process with an efficient in person visit to finalize the claim. It took 8 days in total!

Scott Welfel Jersey City, NJ

Lemonade -- and in particular our claims agent Morgan O - made the claims process easy, quick, and painless. We were thrilled at the ease with which we could upload photos and videos, including via photos.google. The claim was approved and paid just 8 days after filing. We were hit hard by Hurricane Ida and are so grateful for our positive experience with Lemonade. Many of our friends who filed claims with other companies have still not had their claims resoled. Thank you, Lemonade!!

Alex Richards Columbus, OH

My parents were worried when we went with Lemonade because their rates were so good and thought it might be too good to be true. We had a house fire and within 20 minutes, before the fire department even left, my claim was made, approved and a personal claims handler (I don't know what they are called) was assigned to me and she was spot on through the entirety of it. She was so quick to respond over email it felt like texts sometimes. They were also more than fair on payouts and I never felt stingy. My parents have since switched Lemonade after watching how they handled everything.

Hoda Mehr Trabuco Canyon, CA

Lemonade is just delightful, from the moment you start filing a claim until the money is in your bank account, there is nothing you need to worry about. As I was going through our claim I was also filing a claim with our home warranty provider and these two are galaxies apart. Lemonade makes you like having insurance, the old school home warranty makes you question your life choices.

Aaron M Cupertino, CA

The entire process of working with Lemonade, from getting coverage to getting paid in the case of a claim was very easy, quick and seamless. Everything is pretty much online and in the case of a claim, there is an actual human being helping you out. One time I had to deal with a different insurance company regarding water damage from an adjacent unit. Compared to Lemonade they were very slow, hard to reach and at times stressful because of delays in their processing. Lemonade embodies what an insurance company should be: a resource easy to get that you hope you never need to use, but when you do, an actual human being is there to help you navigate the situation in a quick and effective manner. Thank you Lemonade.

SD Austin, TX

We had a claim and the whole process from submitting the claim to the final payment worked very. Can’t be happier with the assigned claim advocate, he really helped us a lot throughout this process. Everything went fast and I can recommend Lemonade 100%.

Sophia Wyman Elizabeth, NJ

Thoroughly satisfied customer! Lemonade was on top my claim more than I was. Being inundated with my recent damages, I wasn’t always able to answer my phone, but Lemonade was there every step of the way utilizing every form of contact to reach me and to ensure that my claim was processed quickly and seamlessly. Highly recommended!!!

Raymond Shek New York, NY

The Lemonade claim rep was courteous, helpful, and efficient in our time of need after the flooding from Hurricane Ida. The claims process was very fast and easy. I would recommend Lemonade over and over again based on this experience.

Emily Gullo Silver Spring, MD

I had a great claim experience with John! I got a response within hours, an inspection scheduled, and got payment just a day after the inspector submitted notes! Super smooth, and made me feel supported. Way better than State Farm

Brian Makowski Richmond, TX

In addition to the very reasonable rates, the customer service has been outstanding. I had to file a claim for roof damage, and they were helpful and informative along the entire way. The filing was easy and they explained what would happen, step-by-step. I didn't feel intimidated nor uninformed. I hope they are able to continue providing excellent service at competitive rates as time progresses.

Mark dikowski Detroit, MI

I was extremely happy with how quickly Dalton responded to any questions or concerns I had. On the 27 years I have owned homes I have never filed an insurance claim. And he guided me thought the process. Talking with other neighbors who other insurance companies many of them have not heard back from their clams agent. Do I was happy to tell them about lemonade and the great service I received!

Ryan Gunderson

Sick of annual double digit insurance premium increases? I sure am. Unfortunately I had to use my Lemonade homeowners insurance during my first year, but the claims experience was painless. And despite the claim, my renewal rate is only 1% higher than last year. Around the same time Lemonade told me about my 1% increase, my pet insurance told me about their double digit premium increase (even though I’ve never made a claim). Thankfully, I was able to switch to Lemonade for a substantial decrease on pet insurance. I’m looking forward to getting a quote on Lemonade auto insurance once it’s available in my state.

Zhantong Wang Germantown, MD

It was super easy to make claims on the App. The turn around time with customer service is also very short. More importantly, Lemonade makes payment really fast.

Torsten Lubach Maple Valley, WA

While it can sometimes feel a bit weird to have this “all online” experience and not talk anyone in the whole process, my claim advocate has always presented herself to be solution-oriented and un-bureaucratic.

Jake Mitchell Broomfield, CO

I have been continually surprised at how simple insurance has become again. The simple conversation process to start everything with the automated system works nicely and feeds into solid communication from agents and claims people.

Julio Estela Bellmore, NY

The claims process included the thorough collection of information upfront so that I did not need to repeat anything when the adjuster was assigned. The claim was approved within a few hours and the money was in my bank account within a day. It was also explained that any of the actual costs exceeded what they estimated, to just let them know and they'd pay the difference. Super simple, efficient and fair!

Reggie Houston, TX

I’m not gonna lie, the thought of having to file a roof damage claim on an app scared me at first. But after the initial questionnaire I got connected with Ricardo and it could not have gone any smoother. The lemonade team was very helpful and quick about sending an estimator out to assess the damage. We were informed quickly after that that We would be needing to replace our roof. Ricardo our claims adjuster was very helpful and answered all my questions very quickly throughout the whole process. No complaints!

Isa Brittain Minneapolis, MN

Loved the claim process, everything is submitted online then you receive a visit from someone on their team. This is a prefect process!

Schuyler San Francisco, CA

The customer service I received from Philip at Lemonade was amazing. He helped us make what would otherwise have been a very stressful ordeal a breeze.

Ofir Lahav Los Angeles, CA

Overall experience is good. There is still negotiations regarding the size of the loss/damage but I'm sure we'll find the even ground. But regardless Lemonade was there when I needed, they responded immediately and seems that they got my back and for that I'm greatful. Thank you Cameron and the all team! Keep up the good work. Best, Ofir

Sam Bennett Columbus, OH

Lauren from Lemonade went over and beyond for our family, we had a very stressful home issue and she really made a huge difference. To top it off, in the middle of home damage, we lost our sweet dog. Lemonade sent our family flowers. It’s the nicest gesture from customer service we have ever received.

Sarkis Studio City, CA

Dalton and the entire Lemonade team made our stressful time a very pleasant time. From excellent communication (they were literally on it from start to finish) to a super speedy process. Our claim was processed with ease and a partnership in mind, making this very smooth for me and my family. You guys rock! Thank you!

Juanita Ransom-Ashmon Ft. Washington, MD

I never had a problem with my claims and all the adjusters who handled my claim were understanding, patient and never hesitated with getting my claim filed. They always stayed in touch and made sure I understood what was going throughout the whole process.

Demetrace Williams Milwaukee, WI

Lemonade is THEE best home insurance out there. They work for you abs they don’t make you feel bad, if you have to file a claim. If they had auto insurance they would be unstoppable. Thank you again Lemonade abs John V. for your help and quick approval.

Cindy Feng Lafayette, CA

Excellent team! Very much enjoyed working with Jeremy who was professional and friendly, he helped process the claim efficiently. Thank you!

Lauralee Mariatte Atlanta, GA

Lemonade continues to exceed expectations with their ease of use for all transactions. I appreciate the attentiveness and diligence.

Huascar Monegro Brooklyn, NY

The coverage and claims process is transparent and simple.. The team is attentive and responsive. It’s a new and better way of doing business.

Michele Keller, TX

I had a very good experience with Lemonade and its associates. Everyone was responsive and concerned for my needs. I have recommended the company to others.

Mallory Estepp Flat Rock, MI

Cameron with Claims was very quick and helpful with my claims. Much appreciate the fast response and turnaround to help me with my drain back up and ruined basement! It made the whole situation much less stressful.

Rockmeetspaper 1 Los Angeles, CA

During my difficult situation, Lemonade has made the claim process easy to begin. The response time in answering my questions and efforts to resolve have been outstanding. The outcome of my claim is irrelevant to my feedback? As Lemonade took my obstacles and concerns with personal care and worked with me to help me understand my options.

Orlando Bustos Keller, TX

The overall experience with the claims process with the Lemonade platform and customer service was very smooth from start to finish! I immediately received the funds to start the replacement of my roof. Ricardo from customer service was awesome to work with and a consummate professional. Kudos!

Charalampos bilitsis Brooklyn, NY

When I had a roof leek , lemonade was there in a flash . A very sweet nice adjuster came out to review my claim, and my claim was processed in record time! Funds were delivered and next thing you know I was off fixing the issue

Elena Zakrutaeva Austin, TX

I couldn't be happier with all the timely support I received from Lemonade and its people who helped me to navigate the process of claim application and going through all of the further steps. Their quick and detailed responses made the whole process less stressful, and more understandable and manageable to me.

haderdaraide Chicago, IL

It actually felt pretty personal, I was talking to someone the entire time, he kept me posted on all the stages, and there were a lot of moving parts. He kept me updated, called me regularly to give me updates, etc. I would highly recommend trying to work with Sean from the claims team, he was really great to work with. Recommend forsure

Robert Issai Glendale, CA

It took a bit to get things moving, but result is what really maters so I am very happy with the outcome .

Jesus Cerna Dallas, TX

I was more than satisfied on the time and convenient app. Jonathon was attentive and I am a very satisfied customer.

Aaron Rosenthal Miami, FL

Morgan made my hail damage claim a breeze! Communication was prompt and the entire process was stress-free.

Marcellus, Stanley Reynolds Alexandria, VA

I have been a customer of Lemonade for the past year, they have the best rates and the best customer service!

James Konieczka Grand Blanc, MI

Making a claim was as easy and painless an experience I have ever had with an insurance company. I highly recommend lemonade.

Yosef Shaul Robson Woodstown, NJ

It was so easy to create and submit a claim. They walked me through the whole process and were on my side the whole time.

Shrav Ravi Alexandria, VA

Vienna was very helpful, and she assisted me through my first claim. Even though I was nervous, she ensured things went smoothly and as quickly as possibly.

Alex Garcia Hobbs, NM

Easy to deal with fast response time and claim settled in a very timly manner.

T. W. McK Huntington Beach, CA

All started out well but then week after week of silence and the run around. Being approved and an estimate sent to the mitigation company just to be stalled and declined after work had been started.

Lisa Sakowski Dallas, TX

Erin was very responsive and kept me in the loop as to where we were in the process.