Anthem offers private health insurance plans, Medicaid, and Medicare. Some of its plans are HSA-compatible. Anthem also provides members with excellent resources.

View Anthem Reviews

Anthem is owned by BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS). Founded in 2004, Anthem BlueCross BlueShield is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The Good

• Health Insurance Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Health Insurance Plans Offered

Owned and operated by BlueCross BlueShield, Anthem offers health insurance to clients in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Limited by location, this insurer nonetheless leaves little to be desired in its health plans.

Anthem offers health insurance options that include PPO plans, HMO plans, Health Savings Account (HSA) compatible plans, and short term health plans. Anthem even offers group disability insurance.

Like many competitor insurance providers, Anthem health plans also include Medicaid and Medicare. Those seeking Medicare or Medicaid services can find options with Anthem.

For individuals, couples, and families under the age of 65 who need health insurance, Anthem has a great selection. Plans are divided into four main groups:

• Bronze Plans
  • Silver Plans
  • Gold Plans
  • Platinum Plans

From bronze to platinum, these plans are organized by price.

For a bronze health plan, you pay a low monthly payment (premium) for the insurance plan but have higher out-of-pocket costs for your actual medical bill. Bronze plans cover about 60 percent of medical bills.

On the other end of the spectrum are platinum plans, which cost you the most amount of money for the insurance policy but the least amount of money for your medical bills. These plans cover 90 percent of health care costs, leaving patients to worry about a mere 10 percent of the bill.

In between are silver plans, which covers 70 percent of costs, and gold plans, which cover 80 percent of costs.

Each Anthem plan comes with a different deductible, out-of-pocket expenses, coverage-level, and cost-sharing rules. Most health insurance plans cover preventive care and emergency services.

It's easy to see, then, that the choices at Anthem are in no short supply. Whether you're an individual, part of a family, under 65, or over 65, you can find insurance coverage from Anthem.

Member Resources

Members are treated well at Anthem. When you register to be an Anthem member, the company does not leave you to fend for yourself. On the contrary, the patient portal and company website work in tandem to answer your questions and keep you up-to-date on your health plan.

First and foremost, the company has a dedicated phone number for members, and members can count on Anthem 24/7 if they need to contact them for any reason.

At any time of the day, members can check the status of a claim filed through Anthem. Immediate assistance like this is important to customers, and that's why Anthem has other convenient resources, such as LiveHealth Online (their live chat option should you need to speak with a doctor right away).

As a new member, you'll enjoy the Find a Doctor tool to make sure your provider is in Anthem's network. This tool also makes it easy to locate a primary care physician or specialist.

The Find a Doctor Tool make it easy for Anthem members to locate doctors in their area and network.

Whether a new member or an experienced one, Anthem's patient portal offers explanations of your personal plan benefits, a list of your prescription drugs, and any forms you should need (such as for claims).

Anthem cares about its members health, not just their health insurance plans. Anthem offers a personal health assessment that you can take to see what kind of health you have. You can also watch video tutorials on the company website to learn more about how to navigate the patient portal or even about medical insurance, in general, as this industry can be so easily confusing. Truly, Anthem's member resources are designed to keep you healthy and informed.

Unique Features

Anthem stands out among the crowd of health insurance companies by offering several resources and additional services that make a patient's life easier, more informed, and more convenient. Before potential clients even become a member, they can get a free instant quote on the health plan they would want.

Another unique feature for Anthem is their LiveHealth Online resource, which is a live chat tool through which you can speak with a doctor right away about a health question you have.

The company's mobile app is also a free provision, giving you more ready access to your patient portal.

It's worth mentioning here that Anthem's company website is a bonus to using this company's health insurance. A website is not the determining factor of your health plan, of course, but transparency and clarity are key to the customer service experience. Anthem delivers in both respects with the company website.

Anthem makes it clear just by the layout of their website that customer service is important to them. While a company website is just a first impression and not a face-to-face interaction, the website also gives you the information you may want upfront to determine whether a company's health plans are right for you.

Online you'll find detailed FAQs sections (through which you can narrow your search by your state and the health plan you have). You can easily download forms, and request an ID card.

Of course, Anthem offers the traditional communication tools as well, offering member-specific phone numbers.

Overall, Anthem does an excellent job of providing answers to questions, like the terms of their health plans, a way to find an in-network doctor, a view of the patient portal, a health insurance quote, and much more. But if questions aren't answered by the website itself, Anthem several different ways for clients to conveniently speak with a customer service representative directly and get the help they need.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Anthem Hack
  • Time in Business
  • Locations

Limited Customer Insight

While Anthem has recieved a fair number of reviews, its review count is much lower than other health insurance companies listed on Best Company. It's also concerning that most of Anthem's reviews are negative.

While Anthem is affiliated with a well-known and respected insurer, keep these reviews in mind as you consider plans from the company.

Anthem Hack

In 2015, Anthem was hacked. 78.8 million of its members were affected by the data breach. In a settlement, affected members received help with credit monitoring and identity protection and some compensation. Anthem has improved its security to keep its members' information better protected.

Time in Business

Anthem itself was founded in 2004, so it is less experienced than some health insurance carriers. Some companies have been around for well over a century, making Anthem very new and still in the process of working out kinks.

Locations

As widespread as BCBS is, Anthem plans are only available in select states. These include California, Colorado, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin. This doesn't cover even half of the US, which means Anthem might not necessarily cover your area.

The Bottom Line

Anthem offers a good selection of health plans, which makes it easy to find a plan that meets your needs. It is also affiliated with BlueCross BlueShield. Anthem is newer as a business, especially compared to other health insurers. It is also limited in terms of location. However, if Anthem health insurance plans are available in your state, then the benefits provided are nice.

Anthem works hard to serve its many customers, offering them supplemental insurance like vision and dental and even offering discounts on wellness products.

Anthem's tools allow customers to easily manage their claims, payments, and locate an in-network provider. Anthem also offers its members with general health support through educational resources.

Call our recommended rep over at Anthem below.

1.5

Douglas Dusseau

October 18th, 2017

You have to fight every step of the way.

Kaycee G

October 11th, 2017 Tilton, NH

First, this company denied an out-of-network procedure that I need to have done for a serious illness I have. I have out-of-network benefits too, but the surgery was denied. I appealed the decision and it was denied again because they feel the surgery isn't "medically necessary." What insurance company has the right to tell someone their health isn't "medically necessary?!" Now, I am out on a leave of absence because of this illness because it is spreading and I can't have surgery because my insurance company that I pay for every week won't pay for it. I have also been dealing with Anthem Life for 2 months now, trying to get my leave of absence approved so I can get paid, and they have done nothing but drag their feet and give me the runaround every time I call them. They have lost my doctor's documents numerous times, and now I am facing termination because these people don't know how to do their jobs. If you have the option to choose a different insurance company, do it.

Meg

October 11th, 2017 Charlotte, MI

"Even though this is covered by Anthem & considered medically necessary, we will not cover any portion of your medically necessary medical devices until you have met your deductible." So essentially, I have to pay $5000 a year for any coverage whatsover, & after that, I have to pay even more! Seriously considering finding a new job because of Anthem.

Emerie Gray

September 8th, 2017 Loveland, CO

If I could give them a lower star, I would. Our family has been covered by Anthem for many years, and as of the last few years all thanks to Obamacare, Anthem has fought us on every possible thing! We pay in order to have coverage because I have heart issues that have caused problems on a rare occasion (only twice since I've even known about it)and because my brother has Crohn's Disease (if you look up Crohn's disease, you will understand just how terrible it is and how much we need them to cover his medicine) but they will literally do NOTHING. My brother is incredibly sick right now, and I have to add that yesterday was his 17th birthday so the fact that he is miserable has made it hard on all of us; he needs to have his Humira shots in order for his Crohn's to at least get under control and after fighting us, after fighting my brother's doctor, and after fighting the hospital staff, Anthem has made every Freaking excuse possibly as to why they will not pay for his shots. After all we have paid in, they have paid very little to cover any of my family's health issues and my brother is currently suffering because of this. DO NOT CHOOSE ANTHEM no matter what the cost because even NOT having health insurance is much better than having it through Anthem.

T Campbell

July 5th, 2017 Centreville, VA

Anthem insurance is non-existent. They hardly cover most medical procedures and always say "you haven't met your deductible" which is outrageously high. Their coverage for "preventive care" is laughable! Might as well not have any insurance if you have Anthem! Some of the people that work for them are nice but you have their website to deal with and it's ridiculous! Try talking to their technical department and they're useless!! Unfortunately, we don't have a choice, so for the foreseeable future, we're stuck with this horrible company. We had Cigna for years and they were the best to deal with, but they don't have coverage in some states. Stay away from this company and you'll save yourself some headaches.

MICHAEL MILBURN

January 13th, 2017 La Porte, IN

Worst Company I have dealt with. Biggest mistake signing on all I ever received was a card to show the doctor, no list of what doctors you can use, no med information, their app doesn't work on an IPHONE. When you call in you have to go through so many hoops to get somewhere it's frustrating. Think before you hook up with this Company. I have even posted this on Facebook so other people don't get messed up with this Company.

Ellen Barry

October 21st, 2016 Memphis, TN

I am very unhappy with Anthem's Nevada Dental Insurance Policy. I have attempted to cancel this policy multiple times since moving from the state of Nevada. Initially I only called to cancel this policy. I found out in June that this did not work. On June 21, 2016, I called, sent an email and mailed a letter requesting cancellation of this policy since I no longer live in the state of Nevada. I am still having $54.45 withdrawn out of my checking account once a month. I called again yesterday and today to confirm my cancellation and I was informed that this can take 5-7 business days to process. At this point I expect a refund for the monthly withdraws since June and expect this policy to actually be terminated. If you choose to use Anthem as your insurance provider I strongly discourage direct bill pay/withdrawals from your account monthly. I have never had such a difficult time terminating a policy. At this point the continued withdraws from my account and the inability to confirm my cancellation is truly beginning to seem like fraud.

Eliza King

November 21st, 2015 Tilton, NH

We had Anthem last year through the market place. Long story short, they were miserable to work with. Even making our monthly premium payments was too difficult for them, and even though we paid months ahead we still got threats to cancel our insurance for lack of payment. Also, it's impossible to get a straight answer by calling in to their preauthorization number to get preauthorized for a procedure. We are still waiting for them to figure out how much we owe for the birth of our son, who is well over a year now. Clueless customer service and terrible communication within their departments.