Pair Eyewear Logo

3.6

LAST UPDATED: January 1st, 2022

Founded in 2017 by two Stanford University students, Pair redefined glasses for kids. Founders Nathan and Sophia spoke with over 500 families to see what they were looking for in glasses for kids, and they found that the biggest problems were price and variety. Working to solve these problems, they formed Pair and became the first online prescription eyewear provider that makes low-priced customizable eyeglasses for kids.

The Good

• Prescription Eyewear and Base Frames
  • Interchangeable Frames
  • Exclusive Frames
  • Kid-Friendly Frames
  • PAIRCare
  • Polycarbonate Lenses
  • Pricing
  • Free Shipping and Returns

Prescription Eyewear and Base Frames

The first and most important part of your experience with Pair is finding the right pair of frames for your child. Pair Eyewear offers five different basic styles with both rectangular and round frame shapes. Each style is sized slightly differently according to face shape and size.

Important note: The reported measurements are representations of facial measurements in millimeters.

• The first number = Lens width
  • The second number = Bridge width
  • The third number = Temple arm width

The following frames styles are currently available online:

• The Cedro — This frame is a fairly basic rectangular frame that is sized for kids on average between the ages of 5 and 9 years old. Its measurements are 46-17-135.
  • The Serra — The Serra is also made for kids between the ages of 5 and 9 years old, but instead of being rectangular, it has more of a rounded shape. Its measurements are 45-18-135.
  • The Otero — For kids between the ages of 9 and 12 years old looking for a rectangular frame, The Otero is a great option. Its measurements are 49-17-140.
  • The Twain — The Twain is one of the biggest frames available online and the frames are rounded similar to the Serra frames mentioned above. It is recommended for individuals from 9 year old to adults (with small heads). Its measurements are 47-18-135.
  • The Larkin — For kids with bigger heads that are just too small for adult-size glasses, The Larkin is the way to go. This frame is rectangular in shape and fits kids ages 10 and up. Some adults with small heads have purchased them as well. Its measurements are 51-17-140.

Interchangeable Frames

One of the most popular reasons that kids like Pair Eyewear is because of the interchangeable frames that allow kids to change the color or design of their glasses instantly. Though many other well-known glasses brands offer kids prescription eyewear, this feature is unique to Pair.

Exclusive Frames

Soon after Pair launched its interchangeable frames, customers started to request that other colors and designs be made in addition to those available online. To keep up with these requests, the Pair team decided to create limited edition frames during certain months providing customers a chance to expand their collection of frames.

Kid-Friendly Frames

Purchasing glasses for your children from an optical or eyewear stores can be frustrating for a number of reasons, but one challenge that continues to cause angst between parents and kids is when kids break their glasses. Kids’ glasses are often made of cheap materials since it is expected that they will be broken.

To combat this issue, Pair has created "adventure-proof" glasses. These frames are made from durable hand-polished acetate and the lenses are scratch-resistant and kid-proof. To further ensure that glasses are not easily broken, Pair glasses are equipped with flexible spring hinges making them much less likely to break.

PAIRCare

Pair wants to make sure that customers are satisfied in the long run. To do this, PAIRCar, which can be purchased for an additional $40.00, will replace your kid’s glasses if they end up breaking or getting scratched. PAIRCare is good for up to one year after original purchase. With this guarantee, you don't need to worry about constantly having to buy new pairs of glasses.

Polycarbonate Lenses

Once your child has selected the frames that they want, you are able to select what type of lenses that you would like. Options for lenses are detailed below:

• Classic Single Vision — These clear lenses are scratch resistant, anti-reflective, and accommodate basic vision correction.
  • Blue Light Filtering — For kids who spend a lot of time with screens, these clear lenses help protect the eye and reduce digital eye strain from blue light.
  • Premium Ultra Thin — For kids with strong prescriptions, the ultra thin lens will help keep the overall thickness of the lens thinner than other basic lenses.
  • Sunglass Lenses — These polarized lenses are scratch resistant and they block 100% of the UV rays that your child may be exposed to.
  • Light Responsive — These lenses help your eyewear act as glasses and sunglasses as they transition from clear to tinted when under direct sunlight.

Pricing

A major advantage of purchasing prescription eyewear from Pair is the pricing. Pricing information is listed below:

• Frames — The basic frames with prescription lenses are sold for $60.00.
  • Top Frames — Each additional top frame costs $25.00.
  • Blue Light Filtering Lenses — An additional $49.00
  • Premium Ultra Thin Lenses — An additional $49.00
  • Sunglass Lenses — An additional $49.00
  • Light Responsive Lenses — An additional $100.00
  • PAIRCare — An additional $40.00

The overall pricing for these kids glasses is competitive with a number of other online prescription eyewear providers.

Free Shipping and Returns

To add to the list of good things about Pair, the free shipping and returns policy sweetens your deal. This only applies to standard shipping which should take between four and seven days. If you are not satisfied with Pair's glasses, or if they are broken or don't fit, you can return them for free during a 30-day trial period according to the current return policy.

The Bad

• Don’t Come in Adult Sizes
  • Online Prescription Entry

Don’t Come in Adult Sizes

One of the only apparent downsides of this company is that it is not currently selling glasses for adults. After its quick success, some adults thought it would be fun to have customizable glasses too. Though Pair does not currently sell prescription eyewear for adults, the largest size of kids glasses fits adults with small heads. If you consider your head to be on the small end, you may be able to try either the Larkin or the Twain frames, as they are the largest frames available.

The fames are sized as follows:

• Twain — 47-18-135
  • Larkin — 51-17-140

Online Prescription Entry

If you are planning to purchase a pair of glasses from Pair, you will need to either provide a picture of your current prescription, or your eye doctor's information. The Pair website does not allow you to enter in the details of your prescription yourself. Though this feature does help ensure that errors are not made in the ordering process, it also can be a hassle if you do not have a physical copy on-hand or if you don't feel comfortable providing your eye doctor's information.

The Bottom Line

If you are looking for children's eyewear, we recommend that you look into Pair Eyewear. Not only are these glasses made for kids, but they are built to last. Pair glasses will let your kids have the option to wear different color glasses throughout the week instead of the same generic pair every day.

Even though these glasses are not sold in adult sizes, and therefore cannot provide eyeglasses for the whole family, we think that it will be worth getting them for your kids. With free standard shipping and free returns (during the 30-day risk-free trial), these glasses are a great option for those seeking quality glasses and a hassle-free purchasing process.

2.5

Joanne Ramey Shorewood, IL

I originally ordered the Kirby and after wearing them for a few days I thought they were too large for the shape of my face . With very little difficulty I was able to return the glasses and re purchase the Finley’s !! Love the new frames !! They are fun to be able to switch the magnetic frame tops to fit your mood , outfit or occasion !! Definitely recommend this company . Very affordable can even use your medical insurance Flexible spending account for payment.

Brittany King Fort Mitchell, KY

I love expressing myself, so Pair Eyewear really intrigued me with their variety of toppers and styles! I ordered the Wanda and 4 frames on October 21st, 2021. They just now arrived, November 6th. It took a very, very long time for them to get here with standard shipping. On top of that, one of the frames I ordered did not ship with them and I've received no word on why or when it will shop. I assume it's an inventory thing, but it's still annoying since it was an autumn collection item and by the time it gets here it'll be winter (I did get my holiday frames). I haven't had customer experience with them yet, but overall I do love the product I received. It just took a long time to get here and I hope I get the rest of my order.

Lena munn Elmira, NY

Do not order these if you're expecting to get them in a timely fashion. I ordered on the 16th and got nothing until the 24th , just them saying they would be prepared soon. Then the 29th I got an email saying the base was done but they were being shipped somewhere else to be paired with the toppers and that would be within a week. I paid 60 for next day shipping hoping that would speed things up. Talked to customer service. They let me know nothing would be shipped until the 10th. Which means the people I talked to lied when telling me they would be here within the week. They gave me a refund on my shipping and a free topper but changed shipping to 3-4 days, but guess what wasn't shipped on the 10th. It's now been 25 days since I placed the order and nothing has been shipped yet. Very frustrating.

PB White Plains, NY

Absolutely terrible. Nightmare level terrible. Avoid this company like the plague. We had a good experience the first time around with my kid’s glasses, so when it came time for me to order a pair, I thought it would be fun to get them and be able to switch out my frames whenever I felt like it. It. Is. Not. Worth. It. I ordered a pair of glasses with a prescription uploaded from my ophthalmologist, naively thinking I would then…receive working glasses. Oh, I was so young and innocent then. I placed the order and was told that, due to the pandemic, shipping would be slow. That I completely understood. However, it took five weeks for my glasses to arrive. When they did, I could only see out of the top quarter of the lenses. I contacted Pair and they told me that they had made the glasses correctly according to the prescription and I should just “get used to them.” I explained that that couldn’t be true because otherwise I would actually be able to, you know, see out of them. I also explained that unless I somehow swapped out my eyes for someone else’s in some low-budget Face/Off type situation, I wouldn’t be able to “just get used to them.“ I should also mention here that every single email communication from Pair took a minimum of three days to get a reply to. Their chat option only offered me a bot that was even less helpful than the actual human who works there. So email was the only option and going back-and-forth with them three or four times could take 10 days. All this time, remember, I don’t have working glasses. Despite the fact that my glasses had obviously been made incorrectly, they told me I should make an appointment with my ophthalmologist to have them checked. I did that, at my own expense, and he confirmed that the glasses had, in fact, been made incorrectly. Shocker. He re-printed the prescription for me with an additional note explaining exactly how to make them so that I could actually see out of them. I took this information back and contacted Pair. Several days later, I received yet another inscrutable, generic, unhelpful email telling me that I should return the pair I had and place a new order for another pair. You would think this would be as bad as it gets, but you would be woefully mistaken. First, they told me that they would have to receive my old pair before they would be willing to start making my new pair. Given that they simply could have charged me twice if I didn’t return the incorrect glasses (since they apparently thought it would be super tempting for me to keep them for some reason?) I don’t understand why they couldn’t have just started working on my new pair while I was sending back the old one. But they wouldn’t and I couldn’t waste another week arguing about it. So after ANOTHER two weeks of waiting for them to receive and process the return, I was informed that they were about to begin making the new pair. Huzzah? Three weeks after THAT, I was told that the glasses were ready…to send to their distribution center and be paired with the top that I bought before they’d be shipped out. Who was making these glasses, people too slow for the DMV? Seems like it shouldn’t take so long, but at this point nothing surprised me. Two weeks after THAT, I finally received the replacement pair. For those of you keeping track it was at this point about two months from the time I’d placed my first order until I received my second order. Guess what? These glasses didn’t work correctly either. When I reached out to Pair to explain this, I was told yet again that the glasses must be correct because they had followed my prescription. I informed this same woman, over the course of another week, that again the glasses actually couldn’t be correct because I STILL COULDN’T SEE OUT OF THEM. I was essentially told that this was not their problem and that I should just take the frames to my ophthalmologist and have him put in prescription lenses while sending the incorrect lenses back to Pair. But even that process was ridiculously complicated. Could I simply keep the frames I had, send back the lenses for a refund, and take the empty frames to my ophthalmologist to get correct lenses put in? Of course not! That’s WAAAAAY too logical and speedy for Pair! Instead they wanted me to order a NEW pair of identical frames, this time with non-prescription lenses, wait to receive those, then take the prescription lenses OUT of the Pair that I ALREADY HAD, put them in the box with the NEW frames I had just received with the non-prescription lenses, and mail all of that back. It would have been comical if I weren’t so furious. When I asked them why I couldn’t just put the lenses by themselves in a box and keep the frames I had now, they said, “We don’t do that.” After that, I didn’t get a response for a while. So I did something I never do, which was turn to social media to complain. Within an hour of having tagged Pair on Facebook and Twitter, I magically received two messages and a phone call asking how they could help me. Given that paying for my now-necessary psychiatric bills was off the table, I told them that all I wanted was to return these glasses and be done with them. During this conversation, I was informed that the reason the second pair of glasses didn’t work was because they had made them the exact same way as the first pair that I had returned. When I, in disbelief, asked how that could be, the one helpful person that I spoke to during all of this, who I wish I’d worked with from the beginning, said that when she checked my order, the details for both pairs were identical, meaning they had completely ignored my ophthalmologist’s note. When I took this information back to the original maddening person who had been handling my order, she informed me that the glasses had actually been made correctly…except that they couldn’t make the necessary changes (which is untrue because the other rep had already told me that they absolutely could have). When I sent her the screenshot proving this from the other rep, original lady admitted that even though they KNEW that the new glasses wouldn’t work, they simply made the new pair the exact same way as the old one and sent them to me anyway. It was at this moment, not an hour ago, that I decided to write this review. I’m not one to bash businesses, especially smaller ones, because I understand that everybody can have different experiences and I don’t want to destroy anyone’s livelihood. But this was a series of terrible choices to provide piss-poor customer service, combined with what’s apparently gross ineptitude on the manufacturing end. That’s a systemic issue and based on reading all of the other reviews, which I wish I’d done beforehand, I’m not alone in this kind of experience. So I’m writing this review. Nobody should have to go through this much aggravation to get a cheap pair of glasses that don’t even look that great when they arrive. I know the gimmick is cool, but it’s really not worth your time and effort and stress and energy. Great idea, horrific customer service.

AngryAndCanNotSee Waverly, IA

Had all of my new prescription info on a Monday and sent payment to Pair Eyewear. I was very excited to try them. They left me down right angry. Here we are 10 days later and I had to order from a competitor of theirs. The customer service at Pair Eyewear is non existent. Company seems to be run by incompetent people. Upon speaking to someone on the phone today he sounded like my order was ready and wasn't sure why it hadn't been sent out, he tried to blame the USPS for delays. He then asked if I wanted to go ahead and have my order continue to be sent out. Then he slipped up and I found out they still had not started on my lenses after more than a week. At this point I had wasted enough time and had to cancel the order. Very dishonest company. How is it the mail's fault that the glasses are slow if you don't make them?

Auntie K Lincoln, NE

After a month of not receiving what I ordered I contacted them and they told me they would ship a new order right away. Ten days later I contacted them again as I had not received any tracking or shipping info on the new order. I had order holiday frames and the holiday is now gone, so I couldn't even wear what I ordered. Two months after my initial order I finally received what I had paid for. I asked for a refund and they told me they were not able to issue one since my order had already shipped, but did offer me a whopping 10% discount on my next order. Each time I emailed them I had to wait several days for a reply. Good product. Horrible management of that product.

Marcia Fullwood Alpharetta, GA

My glasses were ordered 3 weeks ago. Within a week I received notification that they were shipped. Everything has screeched to a halt since then. No updates from UPS, no responses to my emailed requests to Pair Eyewear's customer service team. No call backs in response to my telephone messages to their customer service team. This is unacceptable. This is frustrating. Perhaps if I cancel the order I'll get a faster response.

Holly Denney Mansfield, OH

The company must have pulled it together. I ordered aug 26, 2021 and received my perfect glasses by Sept 7, 2021. The customer service has been amazing. I bought prescription glasses and four toppers, including a sunglasses topper, for $153.00. not bad and the quality is on par.

Nicole Morris San Antonio, TX

That are a scam!! I have been waiting for a month for my glasses and have received nothing! Their customer service is a joke! Good luck on trying to get a refund.....its always we will send out a replacement in 7 business days.....its a scam and they are theives!!

ALG Centreville, VA

At first I was happy with Pair. I ordered a pair of prescription reading glasses and they were shipped and received in a reasonable time period...about two weeks. So then once I tried on the glasses and decided they work for me, I wanted some toppers. I ordered about 7 toppers on Monday, Sept 27, 2021 and have yet to receive them. It is now October 12, and my package was sent via DHL, I followed the tracking, it made it all the way to my town's post office, at which time the tracking info said it was being shipped BACK to Pair due to "insufficient address." I live in a major metropolitan area with very reliable postal and delivery service. I tried to email PAIR and no response. I tried to call them, and first I dealt with the computer menu, which told me to basically chase down my package with the delivery company. Uh...NO! That is PAIR's job!!! Then I tried talking to a human being and no one answers. I spent $180.00 on toppers alone, and have no idea where my items are. I would never recommend this company to anyone. I hope I get my toppers because I do like the glasses. But they are a very unreliable and disorganized company who does not communicate openly and honestly. They seem to be hiding. I don't trust them.

Cassie Allia Lancaster, PA

I LOVE my frames and tops....but I have yet to actually get to wear them. I'm about to send them back for the second time for the wrong prescription. I was so excited to hear about these glasses because I have never been able to get more than one type of frame due to cost. I specifically asked if thet could accommodate my high prescription and was told absolutely. But I just got them back in again after it not being right and it was wrong again. Now, I will say the return and refund and changing process is very easy and they are all very sweet. I just wish I could wear them...

Irene S Tampa, FL

I love these glasses. I have a progressive prescription and I was able to get amazing glasses and a variety of frames.

Kali Wray Terre Haute, IN

I love pair eyewear the different toppers are so fun!!

Jennifer Marth Woodbridge, VA

Was excited to order from them. Nearly a month later no glasses. Upon contacting them was told waiting on backordered toppers. They really should send the actual glasses and the backordered items when available. Simple change in process could make customers much happier

Rachel Milwaukee, WI

This company is a scam! I paid hundreda of dollars for glasses for my kids and it’s been nearly 3 months and nothing to show for it. They never are there when I call (always goes to voicemail) and wait days or even weeks before returning my emails. All they do is tell me “we’re working on it, they should get to you soon” with no ETA! Don’t buy from them. You will lose your hard earned money and never get anything from them.

Hailey Wamboldt Denison

Orders over a month ago. Customer service sucks! I will be taking my business elsewhere.