Oral-B Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 8th, 2021

Oral-B has been a leader in dental hygiene and oral care for over 60 years. The company started in the 1950s with its first toothbrushes designed with soft, flat-ended nylon bristles by Dr. Robert W. Hutson. Years, and many impressive innovations, later Oral-B has been a part of the Procter & Gamble company since 2006.

In general, electric toothbrushes clean better than manual toothbrushes. Studies have found that electric toothbrushes can increase plaque reduction. Electric toothbrushes are also very helpful to people with limited dexterity due to age, disability or people with dental appliances. Oral-B has a large line of electric toothbrush options from affordable models in its Pro Series/Vitality to its high-tech iO series.

However, all models feature the company's unique dentist-inspired round brush head with special CrossAction bristle design and 3D Cleaning Action technology that pulsates to break up plaque, then rotates to sweep it away. Oral-B heads are completely round, unlike any other toothbrush, and they move in a spinning motion. Speed varies from model to model, but Oral-B clocks its top tier brushes at 8,800 oscillations per minute.

Like other large dental hygiene companies, Oral-B has an impressive charity mission. In 2020, Crest and Oral-B donated more than $2.5 million in products and care across the United States.

The Good

• ADA Accepted
  • Visible Pressure Sensor
  • Free Shipping and 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • High Tech Features

ADA Accepted

Oral-B is one of the first electric toothbrush brands to be accepted by the American Dental Association (ADA), demonstrating the highest standards of safety and efficacy.  The ADA’s Seal of Acceptance was created in 1931 to help consumers identify safe and effective oral health care products. Select Oral-B toothbrushes have met the rigorous requirements for ADA-acceptance. This is a great indicator of the effectiveness of the company's toothbrushes for customers.

To achieve this distinction, Oral-B’s toothbrushes had to pass a series of ADA laboratory tests and meet the dental standards of the ADA and American National Standards Institute. It also had to submit studies proving clinical safety and effectiveness.

Visible Pressure Sensor

Protecting your gums when brushing is very important. Brushing too hard can damage teeth and gums, leading to problems like gum recession and enamel wear which can lead to tooth sensitivity. Several electric toothbrush companies now offer some sort of pressure sensor and pressure monitoring with their toothbrushes. Oral-B’s electric toothbrushes have various pressure sensors. Its lowest line has built-in pressure sensors that automatically stop the pulsations if you brush too hard. Its top of the line electric toothbrush models have built-in pressure sensors that display a red light on the brush when you brush too hard.

We like that Oral-B’s pressure sensors either provide visible feedback or turn off oscillations to protect your gums and enamel without needing users to have an app open on their phone simultaneously as with some competitors. Having immediate, visual feedback is very valuable.

Free Shipping and 60-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Like many of its competitors, Oral-B offers its customers free shipping within the contiguous 48 states of the United States of America or the District of Columbia. It also has a generous money-back guarantee. The company's 60-day money back satisfaction guarantee is one of the best in the electric toothbrush industry. Customers that are not satisfied with their Oral-B product can call its customer service phone line and receive a one-time per household refund within 60 days of purchase.

High-Tech Features

Oral-B has been a leader in oral care and dental hygiene technology for over 60 years. Its electric toothbrushes feature some great dental technology such as smart sensors, interactive color displays, and magnetic quick-charge station.

Its top of the line brushes feature Bluetooth connectivity with its app. The Oral-B app, coupled with its iO and Genius series brushes, uses sophisticated 3D brushing recognition and AI technology to assess brushing behaviors across 16 zones in the mouth. Its brushing recognition technology can monitor brushing across the front, top, and back surfaces of a user's teeth.

We like that even its most affordable toothbrushes include some high-tech features like a pressure sensor. This makes it stand out from its competitors that only include such features on higher-end models.

Oral-B’s technology has been recognized with awards. Its top of the line Oral-B iO brush was a 2020 Red Dot Award winner of its best product design category. This award recognized it for state-of-the-art technology, functionality, and superior performance. It was also a winner in Allure’s prestigious Best of Beauty 2020.

The Bad

• Potential to Be Loud
  • Expensive

Potential to Be Loud

Reviews of Oral-B’s toothbrushes are overwhelmingly positive; however, some customers complain that its electric toothbrushes can be loud. It is possible that the Oral-B electric toothbrush could be louder than other electric toothbrush designs due to its unique oscillating/pulsating motion rather than sonic vibrations.

Oral-B heads are completely round, which is unique, and they move in a spinning motion. Though the speed varies from model to model, Oral-B says its top tier brush rotates at 8,800 oscillations per minute.

Expensive

While Oral-B has a full line of toothbrushes with a large price range its top of the line model, the iO, rings in at top dollar. The iO is packed with technology that took years of development and that is highly impressive within the dental hygiene industry.

The cost of the Oral-B iO toothbrush is in line with the cost of the highest-end toothbrush offered by its top competitor. But, yes, the company's most impressive toothbrushes are also very expensive. And some reviewers question whether the features that command this high price are even needed.

The Bottom Line

Oral-B has a decades long history of developing electric toothbrushes with the newest technology, often that the company itself launches into the dental hygiene market first. Its oscillating, round toothbrush head is unique in the industry.

We were impressed by the technology that Oral-B has incorporated into its electric toothbrushes, especially the iO toothbrush. It is a company that is clearly dedicated to researching and developing technology to support oral hygiene.

While its highest end toothbrush model is very expensive, it does have a full range of toothbrushes. It also offers customers free shipping and an excellent money-back guarantee. Overall, we think that any customer will be able to find an Oral-B toothbrush to fit their budget and dental hygiene goals.

View Best Electric Toothbrushes Companies

Julia UP Southbury, CT

I like it how well it cleans the teeth as compared to regular toothbrushes. It grips well in the hand and charging works for a full week before you need to charge again. The only con being it doesn't come with an on/off button. Else its a verh good product. Would recommended

Erin Williams Midvale, UT

I've used an electric toothbrush from Oral-B for a few years now, it makes brushing my teeth really easy and holds its charge for a pretty good time. The only problem is that sometimes there's some sort of black build-up that collects inside the hollow piece, which can be difficult to clean out, but if I try to keep it semi-dry inside it isn't often an issue.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

The toothbrush was gentle on my gums while still doing a great job of cleaning my teeth. Something I liked about it was that it would vibrate to get my attention if I was applying too much pressure.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

While the idea of an electric toothbrush sounds nice and convenient, it really isn't. Just stick to a regular toothbrush and brush your teeth. At least for me. I can't say the same for children, elderly, or other people that have difficulty with brushing their teeth. I find Oral-B's toothbrushes rather blocky and it makes them difficult to hold and rather uncomfortable to use.

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

When I first got my Oral B toothbrush I generally felt the different from a regular toothbrush then a Oral B toothbrush. It literally takes all the left over food you’ve ate earlier from between your teeth.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I had braces through middle and high school. The dentist recommended this brand for a spin tooth brush and it works wonders! Keeping your teeth clean is extremely difficult with braces, but very important. Oral B has helped me keep my perfect smile and had made my orthodontist visits easier.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Oral-B has a variety of toothbrushes and mouth care that leave my teeth feeling nice and fresh. It is my go-to brand I love it

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Battery life isn't long, the head is a little big for my mouth so it's kind of uncomfortable to use. But the price is fair and it really does clean my teeth very well, even my dentist noticed!! haha

KS Orem, UT

My husband and I live our Oral-B toothbrush and the fact that we can share and have separate brush heads. It's so nice to have the travel case to keep everything together and clean

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I've had my oral B electric toothbrush for a few years now and I love it. I've had no issues with it. The only minor downside is that it's a little louder than toothbrushes from other brands I've seen

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

The electric toothbrushes work pretty well, but I find it difficult to get the hard to reach places like my back molars really clean. Also, they are sometimes a pain to travel with because you have to take the charger with it. I still prefer the nonelectric toothbrushes because I feel like I get a better clean from them.

Morgan Tennant Rexburg, ID

Oral-B brushes leave my teeth feeling clean, but still a bit gunky between my teeth. They work well for their cost, though they're not very powerful.

Rylie Crandall

I love my electric toothbrush from Oral-B. It was recommended by my dentist and I feel like it cleans my teeth better than any toothbrush I’ve ever owned.

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

The electric toothbrush is very rough on my teeth and gums. Tips are not to expensive to replace.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

My children loved the Oral-B spin brushes. It helped to get them brushing well when they weren't able to do well with manual toothbrushes.

Hannah Burke Rexburg, ID

Cleans well and has variety of options to choose from

Taylor Larson

I love my toothbrush from Oral-B because it's rechargeable and high quality but I do feel like it's on the expensive side.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Oral-B is the only brand I trust with my oral health. I trust their products and love the affordability

hminfo Olney, MD

The spinbrush has been a great purchase for my children. It has helped them have better brushing habits.