Best Company has partnered with Northwestern Mutual. See our advertising disclaimer for more information about how Best Company works with partners.

Northwestern Mutual is a well-regarded insurance provider. It has received some of the highest financial strength ratings for the insurance industry. It was also listed as one of the "World's Most Admired Companies" and first in financial soundness by Fortune in 2018.

Northwestern Mutual provides insurance to full-time employees, part-time employees, and stay-at-home parents and offers specialized disability insurance to doctors.

Northwestern Mutual has contributed over $6 million to childhood cancer research.

View Best Disability Insurance Companies

The Good

• Disability Insurance for Individual Buyers
  • Disability Insurance Specifically Designed for Physicians
  • High Financial Strength Ratings
  • Great Online Educational Resources

Disability Insurance for Individual Buyers

Northwestern Mutual offers disability insurance that can supplement employer-provided disability insurance or stand on its own.

The cost of disability insurance varies based on some demographic information (e.g. gender and age), occupation, and benefit amount. Northwestern Mutual advertises that the cost of its disability insurance plans is less than a cup of coffee every day for an average policy.

Northwestern Mutual stands out from other disability insurance providers because it provides disability products to part-time workers and stay-at-home parents.

Disability Insurance Specifically Designed for Physicians

Northwestern Mutual’s unique Medical Own Occupation Definition gives doctors more options and greater flexibility when dealing with disability.

High Financial Strength Ratings

Northwestern Mutual has earned some of the highest financial strength ratings. It has earned an A++ from A.M. Best Company, an AAA from Fitch Ratings, Aaa from Moody’s investors Service, and an AA+ from S&P Global Ratings.

Northwestern Mutual was also recognized by Fortune for its financial soundness and its level of quality in 2018.

Great Online Educational Resources

Northwestern Mutual also offers a wide array of educational resources about disability insurance. These articles provide valuable information about financial planning and disability insurance.

The Bad

Limited Online Information

While Northwestern Mutual does a good job providing general information about disability insurance and the groups it offers disability insurance to, it does not share extensive information about benefit amounts, elimination periods, and types of plans available.

For more specific information about Northwestern Mutual’s policies, interested consumers should contact Northwestern Mutual directly.

The Bottom Line

While there is limited information available online about Northwestern Mutual’s disability insurance offerings, it is a trusted insurance provider.

Northwestern Mutual is an especially great option for doctors, stay-at-home parents, and part-time workers. Interested consumers should contact Northwestern Mutual for more information on available options.

View Best Disability Insurance Companies

Jami Lucas

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband got a very low price on a policy and we have had great experience with their customer service.

Erika Douglas

February 8th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We are happy with our coverage and our price at Northwestern Mutual. They have always been helpful.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Northwestern Mutual was great for the time we had it. Provided the coverage we needed at a good price.

Ellie

October 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They always send us the update of what’s is going on with our account! Sounds pretty legit to us!

Alyssa Boren

September 22nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like how it's a secure company and it's been around for a long time so I feel secure in my investment. It has a stable return of investment.

Reese

May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Northwestern Mutual is the best company around. I started a life insurance plan right after I got married and it is paying for itself now and I am very glad that I started it. They have a plan for every part of my life and family and every stage in my life.

Carmen durfey

February 11th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company consistently makes a good return on my investment. My only beef is that’s it’s not easy to pick my agent.

Charlene Mackay

February 9th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My dad used Northwestern Mutual for many years, so when it came time for my husband and I to buy insurance, we took his advice and went to Northwestern Mutual. We like our agent, Jake R, and his assistant a lot. He’s very interested in helping us find what we need at a price we can afford.

Madalyn Johnson

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Northwestern Mutual has made getting life insurance for my whole family so easy. I trust their company, workers and that they found the best policy for my family and our needs.

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton

December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I feel the only time I hear from them is if they want my money. Little communication, hard to connect with when I have questions. Paper trail is the only way I receive answers clearly.