Humana Logo

5.5

Humana is a well-known health insurance provider. Humana was founded in 1961 in Kentucky. Over the years, Humana has grown. In addition to health insurance, Humana offers dental, vision, and life insurance.

MetLife Logo
#1 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#2 Cigna chevron_right
3.9
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right

The Good

• Five Dental Plan Types
  • Great Website

Five Dental Plan Types

There are five Humana dental plans, each offering different kinds of benefits:

• Dental Value
  • Dental Loyalty Plus
  • Dental Preventive Plus
  • Dental Savings Plus
  • Complete Dental

Humana’s Dental Value plan covers preventive services 100 percent after the copay. It also offers discounts when patients receive dental services from an in-network provider that are as high as 25 percent. There are no waiting periods.

Humana’s Dental Loyalty Plus plan offers in-network dental coverage for 100 percent of preventive care, 40-70 percent of basic services, and 20-50 percent of major services. The percentages increase to the maximum indicated at the third year of being on the plan. There are also no waiting periods.

Humana’s Dental Preventive Plus plan offers 100 percent coverage for preventive services and 50 percent coverage for basic dental care after the deductible is met. It also provides in-network discounts for major dental work, like oral surgery. There is only a six-month waiting period for basic services.

Humana’s Dental Savings Plus plan does not have any waiting periods. It covers cleanings and exams at 20-40 percent. It also allows its members access to in-network discounts for basic, major, and orthodontic services. It even has discounts for prescriptions. This plan offering is great for those looking at dental savings plans instead of more traditional dental plans.

Humana’s Complete Dental plan offers the most comprehensive coverage. Preventive services are covered at 100 percent. Basic services are covered at 80 percent after the deductible is met. Major services are covered at 50 percent once the deductible is met. There are waiting periods of six months for basic services and one year for major services. These waiting periods can be waived with proof of prior insurance.

Great Website

Customers can receive quotes, view dental benefits and plan availability, and find in-network dentists on the Human website. Since many of Humana’s dental discounts are only available in-network, this is a useful tool.

The Bad

State to State Variability

Plan availability varies depending on your location. It is easy to see what Humana offers in your state on the Humana website.

Premiums also vary. Interested consumers can receive online quotes of what they must pay for a plan on the Humana website.

The Bottom Line

It is important to take care of your dental health because it impacts other aspects of your overall health. Humana has good dental plan options, which makes it easy for customers to find quality dental coverage or a great discount plan that fits their budget.

Be sure to check Humana’s dental network if you already have a regular dentist. It’s also important to see what Humana offers in your state and the premium costs available.

Humana is a reliable insurance provider and customers can sign up for a health plan in addition to dental insurance.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

4.1

seanth57 Columbus, GA

I am currently using this company for my health care insurance coverage, customer service is excellent, my claims are easy to file.

Syl North Port, FL

Both of my parents have a good experience with Humana. Their insurance cover dental. The dental coverage allowed 2 cleanings a year and some common dental procedures that are enough for both of them. They are happy with their coverage.

Bobblehead Houston, TX

I have this service for free through the military and I must say that this company is great. I have had no problems with this company. Very easy to use their website to view claims too.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

Humana dental insurance is accepted at many places near me and pays a decent amount towards the cost of routine and non-routine dental care. Their website and customer service numbers are easy to use and helpful.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Humana is absolutely first rate for dental insurance. They have us the lowest annual premiums and had good acceptability at most dental offices. Worth the effort to get Humana as my dental insurance provider.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

I found Humana dental insurance to be comprehensive and economical. They also have great customer service experts to help get services covered and billing is made easier with their assistance.

Harish Kumar Kothasunku Nashville, TN

I took Humana dental policy for deep cleaning. They promised me for 100% coverage but when I went to the clinic, they told me I can get some discount(20%) but will not cover 100%. I called Humana to cancel my policy, again they promised me for a full refund including one-time payment and canceled my policy. But I never got my refund. I called them again, they are rude and doesn't answer our questions. I really had the worst experience with Humana with the dental service and customer Service.

T. White

Prices are reasonable. Need to communicate with their customers . Send out more information about claims when they are filed , letting the customer know how much they as re going to pay or not pay.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Humana dental insurance has allowed me to find dental locations near me with no problems. I am able to get regular cleanings and I have the ability to fix any dental issues I may have.

Rosann Stanko Logan, UT

My husband had Humana for awhile, but it was discontinued in the area where we lived, so he had to go to another company. The costs were comparable to other companies’ plans, though.

Johnson Smithfield, UT

I love the variety of providers Humana offers and they have always been quick to process my claims.

Todd Martin Nicholasville, KY

As for dental insurance, horrible! We used the Humana "compdent" plan. They did not pay my provider for 2 months, so he had to drop them. Very few dentists around will work with them. Our workplace had to change insurance companies.

Gwen Scott-Roddey Cincinnati, OH

Have not had a bad experience with the company giving me everything that I need as far as my health is concerned

Bob Benzing Diamondhead, MS

For health care I believe they are the best! Always trying to help the consumer. They always have and are ready to answer any question

Mikayla Ralston Pensacola, FL

They took over managing Tricare Reserve Select from Health Net Federal. They are very easy to work with, but overall, it hasn't been as convenient as dealing with Health Net.

Debbie Stringham Garden City, UT

I don't think dental insurance covers the many procedures I seem to need as I get older. I pay a lot out of pocket.

Dawn R

Good Dr.''s, prices are fair, good value, wish the price of dental work wasn''t so expensive and there were more low cost places for the poor to go

Sharon T. Fort Lauderdale, FL

Not always good but have to pay each time after services. Insurance doesn't cover much of any service

tanesha jackson Antioch, CA

I have this provider through my job and it is good for me and it pays alot of my services

Rocio Diaz Jacksonville, FL

Great coverage. No need for referrals. Only complaint is that the prices are hefty and many doctors and clinics do not take it.

Connor Farmington, UT

Humana helps a lot of people get insurance through cheap plans. They have plans for any type of lifestyle and are easy to get ahold of.

Kerry

Fairly new.But so far it is a good dental co.Very good plan i chode.

Angel

So far great. Customer service is good and I wish they would get rid of automated phone system

Caleb Warren Norcross, GA

The coverage is great, the price is decent, accepted by most dentists, and the copay isn’t too high either

Tony Riverton, UT

Had Humana dental insurance a few years ago. While coverages are good if you have a lot of dental issues, we found it not worth the money.

JoAnn Lucas Austin, TX

I had Humana as a hospital employee. They were always easy to work with and fast in their response

Rick Austin, TX

They have a good network of dentists in the Austin, Texas area. The pay their providers quickly.

Shannon Mesa, AZ

I really liked the coverage of most of my yearly exams. I wish they would have also covered my HRT. Price just got too high to stay.

Candice

Amazing coverage; best I have ever had.

Anne Tallahassee, FL

I have an HMO plan and it is great to know how much I will be charged for any and every procedure.