Aetna Logo

3.4

Aetna is an insurance company that began with life insurance in 1853. Since then, Aetna has expanded its offerings to include dental, vision, and health insurance. Aetna values simplicity, focus, connection, caring, excellence, and integrity. These values influence their company decisions.

MetLife Logo
#1 MetLife chevron_right
Cigna Logo
#2 Cigna chevron_right
3.9
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right

The Good

• Plan Variety
  • Dental Discount Program
  • Orthodontic Coverage Available

Plan Variety

Aetna offers four kinds of dental insurance plans:

• Network Only Plans (DMO)
  • Network Option Dental Plans (PPO)
  • Dental Indemnity Plans
  • Hybrid Dental Plans

Each plan has monthly premiums that vary depending on the specific plan and number of people being insured on that plan.

Aetna’s Network Only plans provide insurance coverage for preventive dental care (cleanings and dental exams), basic services (fillings), and major dental care. People with this plan have coverage when they visit an in-network provider.

The Network Option plans provide similar benefits to those provided by the DMO plans. The dental PPO plan offers broader coverage in and out of Aetna’s dental provider network. Customers can choose from participating dentists or an out-of-network dentist.

Aetna Dental Indemnity Plans allow reimbursements for dental treatment from the insurance company after visiting the dentist. This plan allows patients to only pay for the treatments and procedures they receive. The drawback to this plan is that patients must pay their dental treatment costs themselves and then file for reimbursement.

Aetna also offers Hybrid Dental Plans. These dental benefit plans are designed for employers. An employer choosing this plan can offer their employees more options when choosing dental insurance benefits. The base plan is an Aetna DMO. Employees can choose a PPO option or indemnity option.

Dental Discount Program

Aetna also has a dental discount program that can be used instead of insurance or along with insurance. For an annual fee, customers receive a card that gives them discounts or savings when paying for dental care at in-network clinics. This program is a nice feature for individuals who don’t want to make a monthly payment and still want some kind of financial assistance with dental treatment.

Dental discount programs are sometimes also called dental savings plans.

Orthodontic Coverage Available

Some of Aenta’s dental plans include orthodontic treatment in their covered services. This insurance coverage includes restrictions on age, so orthodontic care must be started before that age to receive coverage.

The Bad

Term Variability

The specific terms and coverage of Aetna dental plans are different depending on the insurance policy you choose. Make sure you understand the specifics of a dental plan, especially regarding orthodontics and oral surgery, before making your choice.

The Bottom Line

Aetna is a well-known insurance provider. They have several kinds of dental plans, including a Dental Discount Program, which allows consumers to find the best fit for coverage and affordability. Before signing up for a dental plan, make sure you know the specifics of the coverage terms. Aetna is an insurer worth investigating when purchasing dental insurance.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

4.0

pepsi173 Monroeville, PA

The first one that I was writing on was for my Dental Insurance coverage which comes with my total package of coverage. It is in addition to my Medicare and It has Dental, Hospital, Eye, Prescription and many programs such as Healthy Heart, Family Cares etc. they really look out for your needs. All for the one price which I did not put on the other review but will place it now on this one.

Ronald Raposo Kissimmee, FL

I had to take out Aetna Medical and dental from my Job only option. Medical and dental was ok but I had better. I also took short and long term disability and life insurance paid out of my pocket. 3 years later I became unable to work and filled out the papers for short term. I only received one tiny check 3 month later what a joke. 5 month later I was put on long term disability and within one month again aetna sent me papers to fill out for social security disability and would not let me return to work even if I was able to but I was not. So aetna put me on social security pretty much wanted to get rid of me I became a liability to them and the Job. So my life insurance states if I become disabled aetna will pay my premiums until the age of the policy ends. Well another bomb shell now they denied me stating they feel from there doctor that never seen me claim I could work a sit down Job lol. No one will hire be because of my health. Anyway I fought with them and mentally can't do it no more .Aetna can shove their insurance up their you know what. All I can say is my other life insurance I had no problems I highly would not recommend there life insurance. Your family won't get paid a lot of hidding clause good luck

MattB Salt Lake City, UT

My employer offers Aetna for our dental insurance provider. I feel like the monthly cost is reasonable and the list of in network providers covers the provider I want to see. I am always pleasantly surprised by the amount our insurance pays of services rendered.

joyce reynolds Wallingford, CT

in mid nov i had a dental procedure done for which i should have had approximately $800.00 being reimbursed--since it is now dec 30, and i haven't heard from them one way or another,i decided to call--i found that since 3 dec my claim has been set aside and deemed unprocessible--first of all if it was unprocessible i, i should have been notified so that if any corrections needed to be made, i could have made them--second i was told the problem was that the dental codes were hand written, and the adjuster has the abilty to "make the determination themself"--i have turned in claims from the same dentist before using the same procedure and have not had a problem, and if they needed verification, they should have just called the dentist--i asked for a supervisor who told me that they would look into it, but only after persisting and taking the supervisors name, was i told it would be another 5-7 days before i would here from anyone--now i can only hope someone calls me back, and it seems no one on the phones has any authority to do better(guess they dont trust their employees with any kind of power) my advise stay away from aetna

Debra Millender St Louis, MO

I found Aetna when I was looking for Dental Insurance for my 22 year old son who is still in school but couldn't stay under my insurance. They are reasonable price and make it real easy to sign up for their services.

TommyT Flower Mound, TX

We have Aetna through my company and so far its been ok. We have medical, dental, and vision. Rates are pretty high and I would not consider if my company wasn't paying for some of it. Called customer service a few times and they answered in a timely manner and was helpful. My wife actually has Blue Cross through her employer and they actually have more benefits. So come next year we are switching over to BCBS. Overall Aetna is a decent insurance company.

Maria Artiles Fort Worth, TX

Aetna is a good insurance company. They offer the best rates that I have found so far and they cover my yearly check ups no problem. They are also quick to respond to inquiries.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

The best insurance for low-income individuals or if looking to pay almost nothing for insurance. Accepted virtually everywhere and has a very broad coverage of dental services.

rsemaria Lindenhurst, NY

Poor coverage. Low maximum. Pay as you go plans seem to be better because you get discounted services at a much lower premium. Dental insurance should give you broad coverage with low or no deductables and no maximum. Just like health insurance.

Walter Trussville, AL

I have signed up for medical ,dental,and life insurance. But when I went to my dentist,they informed me that I am not covered. Then I reached out to the company to get everything straightened out and was informed that I have to wait until next year open enrollment. No solution for my problem at all so I have to pay out of pocket for coverage I signed up for!!!!!!

Keith Pompton Lakes, NJ

I have a DMO dental plan. Dentist is terrible. The DMO dentists are the weakest of all in network professionals. My DMO dentist is terrible. Filed a complaint with Aetna. Did nothing. told me I would have to wait 60 days until I appeared on a different dentist's roster list. Meantime, my teeth are destabilizing. They want me to return to the dentist that i made a formal complaint against until the period of time for the new dentist has elapsed. A ridiculos company.

tanesha jackson Antioch, CA

My son has this through his father's job. I have had all good experiences with the company and the plan he has is very good

Cornejo Fairfax, VA

Aetna is great company because they care and understand the need of every individual and are always looking for what is best for me.

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I am always happily surprised at the amount Aetna covers for my families dental care. They work great with my providers and have excellent coverage and benefits

Madison Kneiss Long Beach, MS

They are a great insurance plan. They seem, for what i have experienced, to pay for most treatments. Health insurance is way too high but this is one that should be on the list of considered plans.

Sara S Tallahassee, FL

All insurance companies are a scam in my opinion. They cover the bare minimum but if you work for a company like Costco who partners with Aetna, they are better. However, they always charge random fees which makes you have to call them each time to have that resolved. Aetna is probably the best of the work in terms of insurance companies.

Rachel Butler Provo, UT

I appreciated the coverage, it was easy to work with them, and I felt like exchanges were fair.

BERYL NESBITT Splendora, TX

They live up to what they advertise. viion and dental has been added this year. What more could you want?

Andrea

Any questions I had with the company were answered professionally and with knowledge of my insurance plan

AD Milford, IN

Fair pricing, variety of providers and good terms. Representatives on hand to answer any questions regarding policies and deductibles.

Jvan Ifi Ventnor City, NJ

Customer service took the time & reach back to me at a moment i need it the most, that showed me how much they care & thank you for your time

marco Munford, TN

Didn't have a choice in provider but Aetna worked when i went to the dentist. I only had to pay 5 dollars but i never know how much i'm going to pay until like 1-2 weeks later. It would be cool if could just pay after i leave.

Sara Smith Riverton, UT

We have enjoyed our dental coverage and never had any issues with any of our claims and they were always taken care of timely.

Connor Farmington, UT

I've worked with Aetna a lot and they seem to cover everything a patient would need. They are extremely reliable and are easy to contact.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

We were able to use Aetna during our kids having braces and they covered quite a bit of the cost for orthodontics, very pleased about that.

Ronald Kemp Upper Marlboro, MD

good -always responsive in paying the bill- never a problem with yearly increases

Yvette Birmingham, AL

I had Aetna as my dental insurance and I loved the service given. The coverage of the plan was very good

Chelsea Horstman Lincoln, NE

Never had a problem with this company. If I ever have questions, the customer service is great as well.

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Aetna provides great rates for my dental insurance and I am happy with the way I can contact customer service.

JOHN T MEEHAN

Coverage not good for out of network. pretreatment review unrealistic.

Pricey

My experience with Aetna has been good. I wish there was more coverage on implants

William coco Bellmawr, NJ

Great dental insurance I could have gone cheaper but chose them with great coverage

Cameron Clark Provo, UT

Had Aetna for two years and always appreciated their great customer service. Would recommend!

Pam Robello Marysvale, UT

We had Aetna for our dental insurance. They were great and took care of everything we needed

Kristy Williams Gilbert, AZ

We have Aetna for our medical and dental coverage. They have great coverage and customer service but are quite costly.

Judith Coromoto Hollywood, FL

Terrible insurance company, all dental treatments are deny. Communication is very bad too. I will drop this company soon

Lilly Chen Walton

Great! Lower rates and increase coverages.

Felecia & Kevin Ollila

Website easy to use. Quick to get a response via email.

Marc Provo, UT

As a college student Aetna was great for me. They covered my basic needs and were easy to use.

Alejandra

Good, they answer my question , and its alot doctors

Nicole Richman Pearland, TX

Their coverage is average, and customer service is usually helpful, but not always.

Anonymous Spokane, WA

I am having trouble finding a dentist who will take this insurance. NOT HAPPY!