Mountain America Credit Union was originally sanctioned as the Salt Lake Telephone Employees Credit Union in 1934. It wasn’t until 1984 when Mountain America Merged with Postal Workers Credit Union and acquired Entra Credit Union that they officially changed their name to Mountain America Credit Union. The new name would allow a better reflection of the diversity and range of their membership. Later, in 1988 Mountain America merged with Utah State Credit Union and became the second largest full-service credit union in Utah.

America First chevron_right
4.8
BECU chevron_right

The Good

• Checking accounts
  • Savings accounts
  • Term deposits
  • Credit cards

Mountain America Credit Union has expanded and continues to grow. It is quite easy to become a member of Mountain America Credit Union. Many employers throughout their service areas have aligned with Mountain America to offer their employees the opportunity to join Mountain America Credit Union and share in the benefits of being part of a credit union. A few of the companies they include are L-3 Communications, Questar Gas, Novell, State of Utah, Smiths grocery stores, and over 3,000 others.

Checking Accounts

Mountain America is a full-service credit union and offers services from basic checking accounts to home, car, and personal loans. Being a credit union, they are able to keep loan rates at a minimum and allow for better rates on savings in comparison to bigger banks. Mountain America offers a variety of checking accounts for their members to choose from. Aside from their totally free checking, they have a MyStyle checking account that receives a dividend APY of .10% and includes features such as Visa Debit Cards, online banking, bill pay, and e-statements. There is also no minimum balance required to maintain your account or for opening your account. Aside, from already earning a dividend, you can earn more rewards on top when you customize your MyStyle Checking account with:

• Online Shopping Credits
  • Cash gifts
  • Loan discounts
  • Credit monitoring
  • D. protection
  • Dividends-earning options

Savings Accounts

With a Mountain America traditional savings account, your money can grow safely, building dividends until you need it. Mountain America offers their members' access to their savings accounts at ATMs, unlike many online savings accounts. As a member, you can make deposits at any branch. Their rates are compounded and paid monthly with a .10% APY for a basic savings account.

Term Deposits

Mountain America Credit Union also offers Term Deposits from anywhere between six months and five years. When a member sets up a Term Deposit they will get good dividend rates. Some of the benefits they offer their members who open a Term Deposit is higher earnings than a regular savings account, you can choose your length of term, and only a $500 minimum, they also offer CDs for younger kids to start to learn to save.

Credit Cards

Mountain America Credit Union offers two kinds of credit card options for their members to choose from each with its own benefits. They offer a Visa Platinum and a Visa Platinum Rewards. Both cards have comparable starting interest rates, there a no hidden fees or annual fees, and access to ATMs worldwide.

The Bad

• Requirements for checking accounts
  • Uncompetitive rates

Mountain America Credit Union has a lot of stipulations that customers might not be aware of. They lack in several areas but here are the ones we think are some of the most important.

Requirements for Checking Accounts

Mountain America Credit Union offers two different checking accounts, a free checking account and a MyStyle checking account. The benefits of both accounts are both pretty basic, however the free checking account doesn't include a debit card, and they say that the MyStyle checking doesn't require a minimum opening or daily balance, but when looking at the rate schedule it says there must be a $1000 minimum earning balance required for the account. The rate for the MyStyle checking account is .10% which is pretty standard for most dividend checking accounts so that is okay. There are fees attached to the MyStyle checking account. It is a $4 monthly fee. The fee can be waived when a member chooses and uses a minimum of four eligible products or services. Each product or service is assigned a point value such as one point and can be used to go toward the "purchase" of certain rewards that are offered to those who have a MyStyle checking account. Members can also purchase additional point for $1 per point per month. To qualify to purchase additional points, members must have a minimum of four qualifying MyStyle products and services. This just seems like an awful lot of requirements to meet just to save $4 and only get .10% APY.

Uncompetitive Rates

Their savings account rates aren't that great either and they could probably do a little better on the rates that they offer for their Term Deposits. Their rates are a little on the low end compared to other credit unions who are generally at least .20%. The really great credit unions tend to start at .20% for savings accounts and at least .50% for a 12 month Term Deposit. They only offer two kinds of credit cards, that is okay, but sometimes people like a little more diversity in their choices.

The Bottom Line

There seems to be an awful lot of stipulations on their dividend checking accounts, and their free checking accounts don't seem to have all the benefits of other credit union checking accounts such as a debit card. Their rates are pretty low and the rewards that offered through the points you earn are actually things that many checking accounts already come with or can be obtained by asking customer service to help you out and waive a fee one time. It seems like while their mission is to help people reach their financial goals, there seems to be a lot in it for them with all the product and services they push and require their members to use. Mountain America Credit Union is not the best credit union option available for those living in Utah and surrounding areas.

3.9

Nichole Hiatt

February 19th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've been members for 15 years, and have had nothing but great experiences with MACU. We had a large bounced check hit our account once that they gave us a temporary loan for to repay back the funds that were taken and not repayed.

Molly Keogh

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have our company accounts at Mountain America. They have great rates and customer service. We did have a little problems with getting info to pay off a loan but the customer service help us to get the correct account info.

Michelle Rios

February 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

22 years! We have been well served by Mountain America Credit Union. They have provided us with great customer service and are there for all of our banking needs. Thank you for the years, looking forward to many more!

Eddie Rios

February 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mountain America has earned our business for life. They have many branches, almost zero in fees, and helpful tellers. They make my daily transactions easy to track online and have several helpful mobile alerts to identify issues. Mountain America exceeds expectations in a credit union.

not a happy banker

December 19th, 2019 Tooele, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They will charge you fees, even when you have money in your account. The only reason I am still with them is because of the length of time I have had my account open. I wish I would've never stayed.

inHisfootsteps

October 22nd, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went in to the Provo branch to open an account about 3 1/2 hours ago. There was a couple waiting ahead of me (Don't know how long they'd been there) & another one behind me. I waited for over 1/2 an hour. Maya finished with the clients she was working with but as she was walking over to call the next people in line she saw a friend & stopped to chat. I waited about 10 minutes & then went over & let her know that she has 3 clients waiting & that my son who has Autism was waiting in the car. She told me that she would be with me shortly. I responded that she is at work & that there is someone ahead of me & that she had been talking for over 10 minutes. She very rudely denied it & told me that she would talk for 1/2 an hour if she chose. I looked to see what her name was but her hair was covering her name tag. I gently moved it so I could see her name. She became violent & started yelling at me not to touch her (I didn't) & to respect her. This is extremely unprofessional & immature. Maddie B helped me to open my account. She was AMAZING! Very friendly, thorough & professional. She showed interest in me & went above & beyond to make sure I got exactly what I needed & everything was done right.

Ben

October 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I don't recommend this credit union. They take too much time processing the applications, spend too much time on phonecalls. My application was taking too long that I had to call them just to find out my co-signer and I "didn't pass the security questions". At the end I got my car loan denied because of "limited credit history" and "length of employment" even though I had a very reliable co-signer, and my credit score was good.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 18th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have banked with Mountain America for 8 years and I have never had any issues. I am always so impressed with their services.

unhappy

April 25th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been with this credit union for 30 years and will only not take our banking elsewhere because we are established. However, they are horrible at giving loans always coming up with some excuse that doesn't make sense. I've come in with all 4 of my children to get loans that have always been granted elsewhere and never had issues getting or repaying, but Mountain America has NEVER granted them the loans and I am to the point that I believe it is only because of their age, although that is never the excuse given. They always come up with some excuse that isn't legitimate. They are horrible at offering loans. I again, would change all of my banking in a heartbeat if it wasn't for our length of time with them.

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just used Mountain America for a car loan. I also opened a checking account and the rates were great and it was an easy process. They are also able to do all of the things big banks do, but at much better prices.

Nana Asiata

June 11th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mountain America is a great bank. They are helpful and very nice.

Tom

June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Used Mountain America for an auto loan and the process was simple and easy to do. They were very helpful in finishing things up and getting me into a car.

Sadie Scoville

June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Nicest tellers ever – they always are smiling and happy to help, not like other grumpy tellers I’ve encountered at other banks

Kip Fowler

June 8th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had our home loan with Mountain America for years. Our current loan was very straightforward and went well. We have had issues with the customer service though. We were told one thing and then it changed the next day and it cost us a lot of money. We were very disappointed with the lady who helped us with our loan.

CAROLE SCOVILLE

June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These guys have the nicest tellers I've ever encountered.

H Moore

June 4th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mountain America is a family friendly credit union!

Bella Houtz

June 4th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Mountain America is a great credit union. Mountain America is very reliable.

L. Fowler

May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Mountain America for several of our home loans. One loan in particular did not go so well because we were not informed of certain parameters and were stuck with a large amount of money we need to owe. Our loan officer should have notified us in advance and she failed to do so. Otherwise we have had a an ok experience with them.

Bella Houtz

May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve banked with Mountain America for many years. They are awesome. They are friendly and helpful. Their websites and apps are very user-friendly

Doom Truong

May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I do not use Mountain America as my primary account however they have never done me wrong. They have free checking accounts that I have rarely used. Was impressed by the credit union because they actually gave me a cheaper interest rate than my own credit union that i've been using since 16.

Amanda

April 17th, 2018 Sherwood, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love mountain america! We got an account there in addition to our wellsfargo account. I love how you can create customized debit card and see the separate account on the website. It is such a great tool to replace an envelop with cash option for budgeting! LOVE their apps too! They have ea fantastic budgeting app!!

Michael

April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have been a great credit union to work with

Keepin Itreal

December 20th, 2017 Washington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a MACU member for 10 years. When I joined they served the interests of the member and had competitive products. Over the last several years they have devolved to a greedy institution that clearly serves the interests of management and could care less about their members. Loan rates are average, deposit rates are laughable, and their member service is atrocious. I'm not sure what is more disappointing each time I visit: their sloth paced speed, the entire staff turnover, the lack of financial knowledge they (including their managers) possess, or their complete lack of social skills/professionalism. This credit union has really fallen apart in the last several years. I recommend choosing another institution to save yourself frustration, money, and time.

Mark Frogley

December 19th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I set up my first bank account with Mountain America when I was in High School and have been loyal to them since. They have treated me so well I have not had to look elsewhere. I love that I can pay off my loans early whenever I want, fast and easy.

Tiffany

December 19th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I have been banking with MACU for years. We love that they have no fees, an excellent website, and user friendly App. I also love their free Money Manager App which is fantastic for budgeting.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a customer of Mountain America for awhile and i've always been pleased with their service.

Natasha

December 18th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been awesome bank Mountain america, protected me from potential fraud when i was ordering items online due to my wedding. the rewards program has been awesome in helping me and my husband out when we need it, as well as help in vacation items. Helping me out when another company took to much money than wanted.

TJ

December 18th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

mountain America is a great place to bank with. they don't have all the fees and everything that the bigger banks do. My wife and I have really liked banking with MACU and their customer service is great!

Lindsey

December 6th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used Mountain America Credit Union since I was 15 years old. I will never go to another credit union because of the employees who are always so helpful and timely, the loans and credit cards are great, etc.

Hayley Lambdin

November 7th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently bank with MACU. I love there rewards program! It is fantastic. Their mobile app make it really easy to check your account as well.

Daniel Coburn

October 9th, 2017

Started a small business account with them and they were horrible! When the account was starting it went overdraft by $1 and they charged us the $1 + $25, and continued to charge fees etc. vs. declining the transactions. We figured after seeing they would process debits in a fashion that would give them the most fees as possible, vs. calling you (like chase does) and having you correct things by EOD etc. Never do business with them!

William D Draney

September 7th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Pathetic service. Over the last 3 years, I've had to either call or go into a branch office to change the spelling of my first name on my account from Willan to William. They still can't get it right. Had to call in again today as they mispelled it again on my new credit card. I'm drawing all the money out of my accounts and moving it to a credible CU.

Duc Holliday

June 27th, 2017 Broomfield, CO

This place is a joke, and that's being nice. I applied for an Re-Fi RV loan, and was pre-approved over the phone by Camron N. Faxed him the requested paperwork. Don't hear anything. Try to email and call him, no response. Finally I call back to talk to someone else. I get Sonia N. I tell her my situation, and she says she is sorry and I can deal with her. She says I have to reapply because its past 30 days now. Okay fine. Get approved again, send in the paperwork, and crickets. Same thing cant reach her by email or phone. Now if they found something they don"t like about my credit or whatever, fine. But at least have the courtesy to email or call me and let me know. Don't waste you're time with them unless you are into that kind of thing.

Jonny Hancock

June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I recently got a car loan through Mountain America and the process was simple. Within 30 minutes my loan was established and I was given a 2.9% rate. I would highly recommend using Mountain America for all your car loan needs.

Deric Lambdin

May 28th, 2016 Alpine, UT

For transparency, I was a former employee of Mountain America Credit Union. I now work in a completely different job field. Personally, my wife and I love their services and products. Their mobile app is absolutely amazing and allows us to be able to manage our finances with ease. Their fraud team is extremely fast at catching instances where your cards might have been compromised. Their loans and business services are also extremely impressive. I plan to continue to use them for several years down the road.