Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

America First Logo

8.8

America First

$1 Initial Deposit

America First Credit Union was founded on March 16, 1939, at the Hotel Newhouse in Salt Lake City, Utah. Among the 59 who attended the charter meeting of what was then the Fort Douglas Civilian Employees Credit Union was R.D. (Ray) Hagen, a volunteer who eventually became their first full-time employee (treasurer/manager) and later president and Chief Executive Officer (CEO). America First Credit Union was established in a small office housed in Fort Douglas' Building 207, with service hours on Fridays only from 3:30 to 4 p.m. A Prince Albert tobacco can was used to hold all cash deposits at the time; total assets and membership were $788 and 79, respectively.

The Good

• Eligibility
  • Mobile features for checking accounts
  • Savings account
  • Certificate accounts
  • Credit cards

America First Credit Union is dedicated to creating lifetime memberships with those served.

Eligibility

America First Membership qualifications are pretty general and expansive to many areas in and around Utah, including parts of Nevada and memberships are free. Stated below, from America First's website, are the requirements in order to become a member of America First:

• Live, work (or regularly conduct business in), worship, volunteer, or attend school in Salt Lake County, Utah; or within a 12-mile radius of the Mesquite, Nevada U.S. Post Office.
  • Live, work (or regularly conduct business in), worship, volunteer, or attend school in Utah County, or Juab County, Utah.
  • Live, work (or regularly conduct business in), worship, volunteer, or attend school in Clark County, Nevada.
  • Live, work (or regularly conduct business in), worship, volunteer, or attend school in Lincoln County, Nevada, except those living within a 25-mile radius of Alamo, Nevada U.S. Post Office.
  • Live, work (or regularly conduct business in), worship, volunteer, or attend school in eligible areas of Davis or Weber County, Utah. See map
  • Owners, employees, suppliers and their employees, or associated companies and their employees involved in the food industry, in Utah.
  • Employee, or member of a Select Employer Group (SEG) or of an affiliated association.
  • Member of the immediate family or household of an existing member or those eligible for membership.
  • Spouse of a person who died while within the field of membership.
  • Existing member of America First Federal Credit Union.
  • Employee of America First Federal Credit Union or its subsidiary corporations.

Mobile Features for Checking Accounts

Checking at America First is truly free and comes with a host of premier online services that don't cost you a cent to take advantage of. This includes features such as free online banking, free payment of bills online, free mobile banking as well as mobile deposit, and free direct deposits, and much more.

Savings Account

A Share Savings Account is part of every member's ownership in America First Credit Union and includes a 0.20% APY. It starts when you join, and you can deposit and withdraw money at any time. And as long as you maintain a $1 balance, it's always free. It also allows you to be flexible by letting you make deposits and withdrawals. You will also be able to access your accounts online through Mobile Banking, as well as over the phone, at an ATM or within an America First branch.

Certificate Accounts

If you can leave your savings alone for a specific period of time, America First Credit Union Certificate Accounts are the right choice for you. They pay competitive rates and are simple to set up. They offer five different types of savings certificates each with varying rates. Each certificate comes with the following benefits as well:

• High Yield
  • Terms ranging from three months to five years
  • Automatic renewal option
  • Dividends can be paid into Savings, Checking, Money Market Savings, or back into the Certificate Account

America First offers several different kinds of savings certificates which are regular, bump, flexible, dedicated savings, and ladder.

Credit Cards

America First Credit Union boasts a wide variety of credit cards and rewards for their customers to choose from as well, cards for people just earning credit to those who require a higher line of credit for business expenditures. Compared to other Credit Unions, America First offers eight cards when most other Credit Unions only offer around three to five different cards for their customers.

The Bad

• Savings and checking accounts

America First Credit Union's biggest downfall is that they have terrible earnings with both their checking and savings accounts.

Savings and Checking Accounts

Their checking account only gets .13% APY which is one of the lowest rates in the industry. Some other credit unions will offer as much as 1.50% which puts America First far below. With the savings account, customers can get 0.20%. This isn't the lowest, but still, isn't enough to make a big difference. Both accounts can see some major increase in rates to compete with other top credit unions.

The Bottom Line

If you are looking for a credit union and you qualify for membership to America First, this seems to be a good credit union to choose. They don't have the most competitive rates, but on the other hand, they don't require any minimal expectations to be met each month for account maintenance. America First isn't the most recommended credit union, but California residents may see good value in it.

4.8

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Great service and excellent credit union! Their website is easy to navigate. No complaints here!

Tom
June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Did a car loan through American First Credit Union and it was an easy process and a good rate and I was able to finish buying the car without a problem.

Madge Easton
June 7th, 2018 Orem, UT

We do all our banking there. The rates on there accounts are always just a little bit higher than other unions and are higher the banks. The customer service has been great. We also have used their notary service and have able to get help right away.

H Moore
June 5th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

America First is a great family-friendly credit union. We used them for a car loan and they always have great customer service.

Avery Fowler
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had car loan with America First and it went well, with no glitches.

Samantha
May 4th, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

They were the first and will be the only credit union I ever need! I love the mobile banking app! It is better than the other app I have for another place I bank! Super helpful as well whenever I have a question.

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

They offer really good options for car loans. Lower interest rates without a minimum loan amount. Great place if you are looking for a used-car loan. Also, very good customer service.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Tellers are always helpful and nice to me

Landon Robison
April 11th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have been a member of America First Credit Union since I was 14 years old. They have always treated me good and are very friendly. I recently got an auto loan through them and they offered me the lowest interest rate compared to everywhere else I checked.

Nathan
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great credit union. I have never had any problems with this place and I will most likely always stay here.

Spencer Goodworth
April 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Had a few account with a few different places. They are my favorite. I closed my account with everyone else and just bank with them now.

Chris Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Excellent company to work with good product value.

Suzanna Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT

They have always treated me very well and I have nothing negative to say about America First!

Sarah Coats
December 14th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS

America First is hands down the best credit union. They are very knowledgeable and are constantly coming up with new things to help track your finances. They have a wonderful product called a dedicated savings that helps you get CD rates with a lower balance.

Megan Rigby
December 12th, 2017 DETAILS

Always very polite, friendly and quick to serve. Many years of being a member to this great credit union. Offer many areas of services and being able to access accounts online is a wonderful attribute to this already amazing company.

Carlee Toone
December 12th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS

America First offers a wide variety of products and I have always been helped by happy, helpful people.

Linda Hill
November 13th, 2017 DETAILS

Literally EVERYTHING about America First is great! Their security is phenomenal! I had a credit card compromised and they were calling me within 5 minutes asking where I was located and was I making a charge. Just incredible!

Hayley Lambdin
November 7th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have had a line of credit with America First since I was 15. I love working with them! Great customer service and they're great with overdraft fees, they understand that life happens!

Daniel Coburn
October 9th, 2017

I've always loved AFCU. It was quick and easy to open my business account there. The only reason they don't get a 10 is that online bill pay is open to businesses, you just can't use it in the app if your a business, you have to log into the site separately. Other than that, I'm very happy with AFCU for personal and busiess.