Salvation Army Logo

The Salvation Army was founded in London in 1865 by a former Methodist preacher and his wife. International headquarters for The Salvation Army are in London, but the organization has a presence in 127 countries worldwide. The Salvation Army’s United States headquarters are in Alexandria, Virginia.

Because the organization has status as a Christian church in addition to being a charitable organization, full financial disclosure and filing of an IRS Form 990 is not required. There have been several allegations of The Salvation Army mismanaging funds and even making a profit on donated physical items.

The Good

• Program percentage
  • Donor communication
  • Awards

Program Percentage

On average, The Salvation Army spends 82 percent of its income on program delivery. Some of the programs that the organization maintains include: Support for Adults
  • Adult rehabilitation
International Aid and Disaster Relief
  • Sponsorship
  • World service

Donor Communication

The Salvation Army has a robust presence on social media and provides regular updates of its programs. The organization maintains social media accounts on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.

Awards

In May 2016, The Salvation Army was recognized with the STEM Education Leadership Award for its support of STEM programs. This award was presented by Nasdaq and EverFi.

The Bad

• Total income
  • Administrative expenses
  • Fundraising expenses
  • Accessible financial information
  • Negative press

Total Income

Because The Salvation Army is registered as a religious organization, there is no federal requirement for the organization to file Form 990s, which is one way that charitable organizations illustrate their transparency. However, The Salvation Army did report income of $4,111,013 for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2014. The organization does not offer much financial information about other years on its website.

Administrative Expenses

The Salvation Army has not disclosed the salaries of its top executives. On its breakdown of expenses for the fiscal year ending on September 30, 2014, $407,934 or 12 percent of The Salvation Army's expenses were paid under the "Management and General" category. There is no explanation from The Salvation Army about the specifics of this category.

Fundraising Expenses

In 2014, The Salvation Army reported that it spent $217,887 or 6 percent of its expense budget on fundraising.

Accessible Financial Information

Finding financial information on The Salvation Army's website is straightforward; however, there is an overall lack of financial information available. This lack of transparency may raise questions for some.

Negative Press

The Salvation Army was named as one of the "Top Greediest Charities" by Business Pundit in May 2011. The publication accused The Salvation Army of owning high-end real estate (worth at least $900,000) for its executives. Additional accusations include selling properties gifted to the organization for profit and suing Greenpeace over a confusing clause in a will in an effort to rob Greenpeace of an inherited gift.  The Salvation Army has also been criticized through the years for its supposed mistreatment of the LGBTQ community.

The Bottom Line

The Salvation Army is a nonprofit organization with history dating back to 1865. The organization frequently communicates with its donors and has a respectable program delivery percentage. However, The Salvation Army is not very transparent about its financial information and has received some negative press in the past.

3.8

Roena Trunnell Jackson, MS

I have experience some really pleasant people at the Salvation Army stores, but organisation change woker so fast nowdays you never know who's in the store to help with a questions. Today I check on line to see who was open near me because of covid19 i no alot as change so i drive to the store see a lady walking around a clock on the window said 12:15 so we all stood outside however we miss the sign they was not open until WEDNESDAY after we stood outside for 40 min. The worker whom saw us wating could have told us they was closed how rude. It cost nothing to show kindness

Maggie Panagakis Chicago, IL

I wanted to donate dining room furniture. Online I set up a pickup date and listed what I had. The pickup window was set for the date I wanted and the pick up was set for between 9am-5pm. I got two confirmation emails and a phone call to confirm the arrangement. The two gentlemen who were going to pick up the furniture called to let me know they were on their way. The two men were wonderful! They were so professional. One item I donated was refused - too big to handle. I was not surprised. I would recommend working with The Salvation Army. They are excellent at communicating the pickup details and the two men were great!

Charlotte Gledhill Mansfield, NTT

I'd never used them before today but heard about them through a friend who had said they'd helped him loads, I needed help with food to put me and my daughter on until my next payday as it was going to be late and they emailed me the same day and offered to come drop it off at a time I thought would be too late but instead they did! I'm extremely grateful for this as I have been so worried! Thank you Salvation Army! And especially the lady I was in contact with!👏❤️ No prejudice or judgement just offered help straight away.

Richard Platko

I was removed from United States,back to my home Country ,Canada. My mother had taken me to United States when I was 8 years-old. I was removed when I was 48. I won't give in to the personal problems that caused my removal but I will say that when I arrived in Canada I had nowhere to go and didn't know anybody I spent nine days on the streets walk in the rain all night and cold because I arrived on January 15th on the 24th I have called The Salvation Army Richmond house, in Richmond , British Columbia. and itold them that I had a job but I needed aplace to stay, and that they were located close to where I found a job. The gentleman in charge told me to come in at 1 and I said I would like to but I cannot I have to go to the food bank and I will come there as soon as I could after that. They're policy is to help someone for 30 days they let me stay there three months until I got on my feet. So I've read the reviews on here . I felt compelled to post this review. Now I'm sure the other reviews I likely accurate and nobody is perfect but I am a true witness that they do help people. Furthermore when I was in Immigration awaiting my removal from the United States I had tried to help some of the Mexican gentleman that were in that system as well and I had run across a certain Mexican gentleman that like me had a wife and kids, although I was from South Carolina and he was from Florida. I I started working in the law library at the Immigration Center in Lumpkin Georgia because all the paperwork filed with the courts had to be called in English and most of these gentlemen could barely speak English, let alone know how to write it. While I was looking for this gentleman's paperwork I noticed that the Salvation was involved with handling his probation in Jacksonville Florida. So i know for a fact that there is a great involvement ,with communities by the Salvation Army. I realize they may have made mistakes by failing to be clear about what items they're willing to accept or not, but there is no mistaking, that they do help people. I am a witness on the two instances, that i have mentioned. Moreover I would have given them a 5-star rating had it not been for the other negative reviews .Thank you for reading my review. PS I'm going to look into the Salvation Army service of reuniting families I would like to bring my kids to Canada I raised them most of their life their ages are 18, 16, 15 and 9. Had I had the money to hire a lawyer I would have been able to stay in the US oh, but it did not work out I couldn't stay in that Center any longer I had to get up and try to help my children. God bless the Salvation Army, I will never forget what you've done for me. Richard platko

Madia San Jose, CA

This location is truly AMAZING!! Great customer service..employees actually care about helping. Greeted at door. Friendly and always smiling. Hard working employees.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Every Christmas I look for those "bell ringers" and I always have money set aside to give to the volunteers who brave the cold, wet, wind to be able to get a few dollars together to help those who are down on their luck and need a helping hand. Bravo Salvation Army, I salute you!

Sam Sherlock Wentzville, MO

I can't believe some of these people fussing about the salvation army not picking their crap up. The Salvation Army is helping people in real need. Give them a break. If you don't like the job they are doing maybe you should get up off your couch and help them.

jeanette rabius Tucson, AZ

they are beyond ANY other group for the employees work and the way they take care of funds and helping people. BUT+ your review of them said the "volunteers" that work the red kettles at christmas time ARE paid workers. please do not misinform those who read and "trust" your posting.

Manuel. Houck Thomasville, NC

I would leave 0 stars if I could ive helped the salvation army many times for free for food and bell ringing in the coldest of times when people from their organization in this case Lt W comes to my home where my wife and I pay the bills and i tell him to leave to which he bucks up to me telling me I live on rental property he can stay as long as he likes (to which i have since spoken to the police that said if he comes back to call them and he will go to jail for trespassing he didnt have a right to yell at me on my own property and tell me he doesnt have to leave because of where I live its wrong he says youre just shooting yourself in the foot you wont get any help from us anymore ... Like what help the food that you get for free or the money I EARNED working as a bell ringer. I dont need their help I live around the block and its easy to just go grab bags as opposed to going to the closest store where food is way overpriced give me a break here but to say what I really want to say just because you wear a uniform and are called a LT in "gods" army doesnt give you any extra rights in this world to be able to go to someones home and yell at them and yes I yelled back I'm at my home and you started.yelling at me in front of my son on my property you got another thought coming bet you get locked up if you come to my house again just like any government agent or civilian without court papers would

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Excellent charity for good deeds though donation. The Salvation Army is committed, respected, and caring. They have my trust and support. They continue to help those in need and do it selflessly.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I have donated to the Salvation Army many times and I always feel like I know my donation will be used properly. Very trustworthy organization. I always donate to them when I can

Edeline Miami, FL

This place has honestly been one of the best sites my community has encountered. I was able to give back at such a young age to certain children who may not have had certain necessities. It is honestly a feeling like no other when you are able to lend a helping hand.

Roman Christiansen Pleasant Grove, UT

One of the major organizations out there trying to alleviate poverty and suffering. From what I can tell they try to keep overhead low so you can do the most good with the money you donate. It always makes me smile to see them and hear their bells during the holidays.

Jasmine B Tallahassee, FL

The Salvation Army is a great charity that you can donate your clothes to! My family has always donated clothes to the Salvation Army since I was young. When you donate clothes to them, you also get a write off on your taxes which is pretty nice. But it also makes you feel like you are doing something good for your community. I highly recommend donating to this wonderful charity! It’s a great cause.

Hershel Thomas Norcross, GA

The store in Tampa Fla sold me a akai gx77 reel to reel tape player cost $ 440 . They told me in email it was in good working condition but it doesn't work at all. They said they would give me partial refund of $200 but that hasn't happened. The employee Mike just gives one excuse after another. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do business or donate to Salvation Army. The store that gave me a raw deal is at 13815 North Salvation Army Ln. Tampa Fla. There main concern is not religious or helping people but lining their pockets with money . BEWARE OF THE ARMY STAY AWAY FROM THEM IT IS A FAKE ORGINATION! DON'T BUY ANY OF THIER MERCHANDISE ON EBAY YOU WILL BE SORRY. THE MORE YOU DONATE THE MORE MONEY THEY MAKE ! GOOGLE THE SALVATION ARMY GET THE REAL STORY.

Army of Garbage Edison, NJ

Yep they should get no stars in the first place cause this little old man and this other guy made me wait at my storage container for almost 2 hours in crack of dawn cause they showed up for who knows how long and left and came back because I had to get ahold of their reception which led me to the most slowest person ever. They both were rude off the start acting like they were busy when they clearly wasted 2 hours for nothing. I lead them to the storage containers and they broke the loading dock door and when we look in the containers this little man with his iPad not giving me no eye contact at all kept threatening to leave and post a picture of it to his boss cause it was full. (In progress of moving that’s why). Then they refuse to take the things they agree to take cause the desk was compressed wood and an old rocking chair had a scratch on it. They both stand there just commenting rude things and finally told them to leave and left that loading dock broken. I had to report it to the storage facility’s front desk. I didn’t realize to donate furniture it needs to be brand new out of the store. Useless organization 10/10

Cade Boudreaux , FL

The Salvation Army is great. They give back to the less fortunate and help people who don’t have a lot. They are very amazing people and would recommend them to anyone.

The Rafano’s Brooklyn, NY

I would give them no star they showed up today two of them the little older man would of been of no help first thing he say was oh have I been here before you see one old house n they all look the same so very Rude I’ve had quite a few furniture pieces to donate right away we don’t take that oh that’s old oh that’s pressed wood well it wasn’t he doesn’t know his wood n we don’t take breakfronts or china cabinets yes on top of the side tables for the bedroom was scratched nothing a little elby grease n stain they definitely would have made money on the items he was a bit of a know it all n abrupt we felt like he was looking down on us kept blaming the person on the phone I guess they want you to buy brand new to donate never ever use or recommend them ever we took railings down etc to accommodate them they get a minus star from us👎👎👎👎👎

Matthew Hall Jackson, MS

The salvation army has been in my life growing up, with so much of my family in the military, the salvation army definitly helped from clothes to care for those in need.

Carol D McintyreSeboek Detroit, MI

I just love going shopping at The Salvation Army, they keep up with the holiday's I am buying some social gifts for my family and my pets . Carol Mcintyre

Tina Concord, CA

I made an appointment for the SA Truck to pick up a single bedframe, mattress and TV on July 22, 2019 for a pickup date of August 12. I had to get someone to bring these items from outside storage to my home so that I could donate on August 12. The driver calls me hours before the pickup that he cannot accept the bedframe. I will never donate to such a horrible, unaccountable, egotistic company again, never in my life. They have no respect for others lives, what we go through and seem to be so poweful that they can just tell you last minute they won't pick up this and that. What a horrible experience. Don't donate to Salvation Army, stop it and let them suffer, which they so deserve. I would give them zero star if I could or even a minus zero. Horrible company.

Cheryl Little Greensburg, PA

I am very disappointed in Salvation Army! They say they are out there to help people in need but refused to take our couches. We recently scheduled them to pick them up after waiting a month they arrived at our door. They came in and looked at the couches and immediately said they could not take it because they would not be able to resell it for a profit. They said they were stained which was minor and showing some wear. Ugh! I know a family in need would of been very grateful to have the furniture. I thought salvation army was about helping those in need. Not making a profit! I will be giving my donations to Good Will and other places from now on!

DP Springfield, IL

Terrible experience trying to donate to them. I was moving and decided to give them my furniture. They agreed to take what I had over the phone, but when Salvation Army employees showed up where I lived, they refused to take any item that looked even slightly used, even if they had already agreed to take it. I had to scramble to find a different charity to take the pieces they wouldn't take . If the Salvation Army doesn't think they can immediately turn around and sell an item on the show room floor, they won't take it. I learned the hard way that I should have used a different group that is true to their word about what they would take and is willing to put in the effort to rehab furniture that has some wear.

Cindy Newcastle, NE

I have tried to get help from salvation army twice, the first time I tried I had lost everything thing I owned in a fire. I had no blankets, no food, no furniture and no money. I am permanently disabled living on below poverty income. The receptionist is abusively RUDE heartless and uncaring, she called her supervisor who was cruel heartless and insulting. I use to donate to the salvation army and now, I will never contact them again, I will never recommend them for anything to anyone. I would like them to go to the have a heart school, then send them to charm s hook, then everyone that works there should be forced to live in my shoes for years. This would teach them love, patience and kindness. They claim to be a church. So they must worship a god. God and Jesus say we all must love our fellow man, must treat our fellow man as we want to be treated. They do not follow these teachings. Who's teachings do they follow???!!

Lisa

Absoultely awful charity i wont even class them that. They was beyond awful to me when i was down on my luck back in 2010 they didnt help me when i was homeless and hungary they said i needed to be a drug addict and alcoholic to get the help i need. They said because im not from south east of England they didnt want me there. Im from north east but lived with a friend from Folkestone for very short period of time. I went to one of the salvation army places they mocked my accent and treat me like an outcast they couldnt wait for me to get out their door. The way they dealt with me was awful i felt belittled and was publicly huminated in front of others. I was called blonde bimbo by member of staff and because i came from north east she was laughing at my accent.

Jon Roberts

Suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at one of their rented properties which effected my whole family. Salvation Army completely disinterested and only concerned with evicting us onto the street as fast as possible to re home one of their officers which can hardly be classed as charitable. This is in direct contradiction of all their adverts about how they look after people so please donate. On the whole the worst Landlord it has been my misfortune to have. I used to hold the Salvation Army with some esteem and have made donations in the past unfortunately the public image is just a front and all they really care about is themselves. Not Christian in any way.

Olesya Plazyo Troy, MI

I just had the worst experience trying to make a donation to Salvation Army. They were going to come out pick up 2 mattresses for me for which I requested 2 receipts. They came but brought just 1 receipt. Because the mattresses were from 2 different companies, I needed 2 separate receipts. I called their customer service, thinking that this should be an easy fix. Instead I got the rudest person talking aggressively and impolitely to me over the phone. When I asked to speak to her supervisor, he also had an attitude. They do not care if the mattresses get donated or not. I couldn't believe it. Sad....

Mrs.LadyTee Gulfport, MS

Shopping in this store relaxes me. I find some wonderful things here and all the while helping myself and others at great prices. I will keep coming back as long as they keep their friendly staff.

Joi Lewis Tallahassee, FL

The Salvation Army is truly amazing. The staff is so friendly and helpful. You can tell the genuinely love what they're doing and really want to help others that may not be able to help themselves.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I appreciate the Salvation Army and their efforts in raising money to help others. I like to give my kids my change from store we are visiting so they can drop it in the bucket so they can feel the joy of giving.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

The Salvation Army is always out and about in public during the Holiday season and we also get mailers from them from time to time. There cause is great and we always donate when we can.

OwenE. Norcross, GA

When I was younger, they helped my family out with our financial situation. Great people work here who will do anything to help you.

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

The Salvation Army is a wonderful place to give donations to and they are put to good use. They have locations all over the country and are super helpful to locals in need.

Darbles32 Managua, MN

My family and I always donate to the Salvation Army around Christmas and the helpers have always been kind and I know that my things are being put to good use

Amanda Montebello, CA

I often donate old clothing and supplies to the Salvation Army. They come to my house to pickup the items and it is extremely convenient.

eunj ,

When you see a Salvation Army public worker with a can, don't donate. The Salvation Army has a very defined history of abuse in their women's shelters, denying unmarried couples, and leaving homeless trans people on the street in greatest need because of 1. weather and 2. escaping abuse. Don't interact with the Salvation Army and absolutely don't donate.

Laurie Massie Lakeland, FL

Salvation Army thrift stores are some of the best in the area! My son & I love to bargain hunt! We also enjoy the Kroc Center! So much fun!

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

The Salvation Army are angels to us here on earth. I love the Christmas time giving and hearing the bells. I also love to give all year round.

Shayla D Williams Manor, TX

Scheduled a pick up for a donation and the salvation army guys told me they were not going to take it because underneath the bottom of the couch had a tear and one of the cushions had Been stitched.... other than that furniture in great condition.... I have never been so confused that you have to have perfect furniture to donate it. The guys told us they were looking to make a big profit and my furniture did not cut it.....is the salvation army helping less fortunate ppl. Or just helping themselves!!!!!!!

L. Stockton Rocky Mount, NC

I was stuck in a foreign country with no money or place to go. I contacted the local Salvation army, seeking food and shelter. NO ONE returned my repeated phone calls. When I finally got back to the U.S., I sent many messages to the main Salvation Army and also emails, asking for an explanation, NO ONE ever responded. My aunt spent her entire life giving to the Salvation Army and died as a Major with this organization. I wonder what she would think of this, were she alive today.

Rebecca Harvey Long Beach, MS

I have donated clothing and household items to this organization as well as received items from this company. I think they are really out to help communities.

JD Dunklee Norcross, GA

Great service. I love when they come and pick up bigger pieces of furniture. I would recommend them to everyone

Madison Kneiss Gulfport, MS

Bought a used recliner from here and it was a great buy. The price was a little high for being used, but still a great find.

Jessie Exeter, NH

Requested pickup which got scheduled 6 weeks out. So I wait 6 weeks, took a day off of work since they don't provide a window of time they'll be there, showed up at 10am and refused it. So I'm out a day of work and still have this thing. Total lack of concern to people donating. Will never use this company again for anything.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I admire the people of the Salvation Army for their service and dedication to helping people in need.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

I don't like the fact that they over exaggerate how much they do when an emergency happens. They need to be more transparent with their funds and where they are going to help. There are smaller charities that do more work with less.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Love how active this charity is in our community. The Kroc center offers a low price gym with plenry of kid friendly activities

Jay Clemmons Cottontown, TN

They help anyone in need without judgement, equivocation or expectation of donations.

Mikayla Ralston Gaithersburg, MD

This is another organization that I feel is very well run. The stores vary in cleanliness but have great prices.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Salvation Army is amazing at giving used items and clothes second chances to others who are in need.