LAST UPDATED: April 18th, 2023
Dual King Ranch (DKR), established in 2001 in St George, Utah (the Dual King Ranch Foundation was later established in 2005), is an equine-assisted learning organization with a particular focus on helping youth develop healthy life skills and reach a high moral character.
The organization’s founder, Bob Bergen, is passionate about working with horses and at-risk youth. Working with horses allows youth to overcome fear and gain confidence while working with a large and strong animal, and youth are able to develop discipline through caring for and working with horses.
- Variety of Equine Programs
- Annual Special Events
- Years of Experience
Variety of Equine Programs
Dual King Ranch offers three main programs:
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP)/Equine Therapy — a collaborative effort between a licensed therapist and a horse professional. The focus of this program is not horse riding or horsemanship, but activities involving the horses that encourage participants to capitalize on non-verbal communication, creative thinking, and problem solving which can help inform their own feelings, behaviors, and patterns.
- Equine Assisted Learning (EAL) — a program that involves activities ranging from basic horse care and grooming to preparing a horse to ride and riding. Unlike traditional riding lessons, participants are encouraged to determine their own riding style, providing an opportunity for them to create a relationship with their horse.
- Family Group Program — tailored equine experiences for families, providing opportunities for growth and learning. Each family getaway can be tailored to include riding, trail rides, and a cowboy cookout.
In addition to the main programs outlined above, DKR offers programs designed for specific age groups and needs, including some of the following:
- Boys Adventure Program — for boys age 12 and up
- DKR Life Safety for Kids — for elementary school-aged children
- Girls Assertiveness Program — for girls age 12 and up
- Beyond the Yellow Ribbon — for military personnel and their families, disabled veterans, and retired/elderly veterans
- Cultural Exchange Program
- DKR Jr. Engineering Program
Annual Special Events
In addition to its programs, Dual King Ranch, offers annual special events, such as the following:
- DKR Wild West Show and Kids Rodeo — typically takes place in May
- DKR Country Christmas for Kids — typically takes place in December
It is important to note that DKR is in the process of creating new events.
Years of Experience
Dual King Ranch was established in 2001 and has years of experience in equine therapy and equine assisted learning. In addition to its experience, DKR has qualified staff to assist participants, as well as a network of groups and programs, such as the Adolescent Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and the Juvenile Justice Department.
No Outstanding Concerns
While researching this organization, we didn’t find any concerning information for participants or donors. Dual King Ranch appears to be a reputable non-profit seeking to support at-risk youth through equine-assisted learning programs.
Before becoming involved with any non-profit organization, we always recommend conducting personal research to see if the organization's mission aligns with your values.
The Bottom Line
Dual King Ranch (DKR) is a qualified and experienced organization, specializing in equine therapy and equine-assisted learning. With a variety of programs and events, DKR offers tailored experiences for children, youth, adults, and families.
Was this content helpful?