Gabb Wireless Logo

Gabb Wireless

LAST UPDATED: November 1st, 2021

Steven Dalby, the founder of Gabb Wireless, struggled to find a phone plan for his teenage son that didn’t include access to social media, internet, and other apps. He also discovered that most major phone retailers only sold high-tech, full featured devices that cost in the hundreds of dollars. That’s when he decided to create a phone that was safe for kids.

Gabb phones are made to look like a regular smartphone but have no internet browser, and no social media. Gabb plans include coverage on a nationwide 4G LTE network. Under the Gabb plan, users receive unlimited talk and text service on a flexible monthly plan to fit the needs of your child.

Simply put, the company mission is three-fold:

• Protect children
  • Connect families
  • Encourage life outside the screen

Gabb Wireless has two plans: the Gabb Plan, for just $19.99 per month (comes with unlimited talk and text) and the Gabb Plus Plan for $24.99 per month. The Gabb Plus Plan includes everything offered by the Gabb Plan with the additional feature of MMS (group and image texts).

The company sells its Gabb Z2 Phone for just $99. The phone looks like a regular smartphone and was developed to be completely safe for kids — no internet browser, app store, or social media access. The price of the phone is very attractive for parents who are looking to avoid costly replacements if their kids' phone takes a trip through the washing machine, is dropped in a lake, or simply lost.

The Good

• Trade-In Program and Birthday Bonus
  • National Coverage Minus Alaska
  • Safety Features to Protect Kids
  • Affordable Phone and Plan
  • Customer Reviews

Trade-In Program and Birthday Bonus

Gabb Wireless offers parents a few ways to save on its phones and plans. Its birthday bonus program gives you a free month of service with a few easy steps. Give a Gabb phone to your child and take a birthday photo with them holding the new phone. Post on your Instagram with certain tags and hashtags and email Gabb customer service with a screenshot and link to your post. Easy! And you get a free month of service.

If you purchased an earlier version of the phone, Gabb Wireless offers a trade-in program, which is a nice feature. Depending on the condition of your Z1 phone, you will receive a $20 or $30 credit towards your Z2 phone.

National Coverage Minus Alaska

Kids, like everyone, need a phone with reliable service. Gabb phones are built on the back of the nation’s most reliable network and offer great cell phone service coverage. Coverage is offered throughout the United States and customers can enter their zip code on the Gabb Wireless website to view whether their area is covered.

Hawaii is included in Gabb Wireless’ cell service coverage; however, the company does not currently offer any coverage in Alaska.

Safety Features to Protect Kids

The cell phone market for kids is growing, and there are many options now for parents and guardians to choose from. Gabb Wireless’ phone offers several safety features to keep kids safe — no internet browsing, no social media, and limited apps to encourage life off the screen.

One of the things that Gabb Wireless says it is preventing with its phone’s limited features is cyberbullying. One in three kids is a victim of cyberbullying and social media is one of the main platforms where it occurs. While cyberbullying is a complicated issue, Gabb Wireless can help with its lack of social media access on its phone. It also keeps kids safe by not offering internet browsing.

Affordable Phone and Plan

Gabb Wireless’ phone is $99 and can only be used on its service plan for $19.99 a month. The plan includes unlimited talk and text. Other competing phones must be used on a major cell provider’s network which would definitely cost more. The phone is best suited for older kids who want to have a smartphone.

There are phones with limited features on the market; however, many do not have the features or appearance of a smartphone. Many look or function like walkie-talkies with a GPS tracker. This can work great for a younger child, but a child who wants to fit in with their peers will likely want a smartphone device.

The Gabb Z2 Bundle also comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, an 8MP built-in camera, bluetooth connectivity, and 14 essential apps that include the following:

• Music
  • FM Radio
  • File Manager
  • Settings

Customer Reviews

Gabb's mobile phones may look like a smart phone, but it is actually a dumb phone (which is a good thing).

Reviews left on BestCompany.com consist of parents thanking Gabb Wireless for creating a mobile device that allows them to easily communicate with their children but doesn't include all the headaches or safety concerns that come with modern smartphones.

In fact, most Gabb customers were extremely satisfied with the included apps and features installed on the phone, stating that it was just enough to entertain their child but not cause them to ignore the world around them. Other customers were happy with the phone and its long battery life (due to the fact that kids can't drain the battery on internet browsing or social media).

There were also a number of reviews that mentioned the company's customer service. In particular, many customers felt that Gabb Wireless responded to their questions in a timely manner and often went above and beyond to help.

The Bad

• Cheaper Options Like Relay
  • GPS Capability Now
  • Does Not Offer Certain Parental Controls

Cheaper Options Available

If you are looking for an even more basic and affordable phone that lets you keep in touch with your child and track their location using GPS, there are lower-priced options with great reviews. While $99 is a great price, parents can find options for half that cost with even lower tech features. Think walkie-talkies on steroids with a large range.

GPS Capability Limitations

For many parents, being able to track their child’s location is one of the biggest safety benefits of giving their child a phone. The Z1 phone from Gabb Wireless does not have this capability. The new Z2 phone will have GPS capability starting in November 2020. Its GPS tracking capability will be limited. Other competitor phones allow kids to use GPS to check the weather or to navigate using a maps app. The Z2 does not have a maps app that could help your child find directions if needed.

Does Not Offer Certain Parental Controls

Gabb Wireless phones only offer one mode which gives full access to all 14 apps. You can’t turn off calls or texts during school for example. Or change the phone to only receive calls from emergency contact on the device during certain times of day or night. The only mode is full access. While the phone has a much more limited selection of apps and internet browsing capabilities than others, there is still the inconvenience of not being able to limit phone calls or texting during certain times of the day or at night.

Competing phones often offer more parental control modes like a “school mode” or “family time mode” which gives parents the ability to change every app, or contact to match the rhythm of the child’s day-to-day life. Night mode can be especially nice because it essentially turns your child’s phone into a brick at night, preventing lost sleep.

The Bottom Line

Gabb Wireless gives parents and children the option of an affordable and safe smartphone and cell service. It is designed to teach kids healthy screen habits and give them independence while allowing parents peace of mind.

Cell phones can have a lot of benefits for children and families but they can come with issues as well, such as screen addiction. Many parents want their child to have independence and would like to be able to communicate with them while they are away from home but may not like the idea of giving their child full internet, app store, and social media access. Gabb Wireless helps alleviate these worries with its phone that does not have internet browsing or social media capability. However, Gabb offers unlimited talk and text. It also offers kids a limited selection of apps to allow them to learn healthy screen habits while having fun.

Message from
Gabb Wireless

Gabb Wireless provides a safe phone for kids on the first wireless network that's designed for kids. Parents don't have to worry and kids stay connected with the apps they need and a phone they love. Finally, a safe phone for kids!

4.8

bookmark

Featured Review

harrisfam Boise, ID

Great customer service. We really like the concept that Gabb provides - everything is just easier. Phones are reasonably priced and the monthly fee is very reasonable as well. Would highly recommend!

bookmark

Featured Review

Dee Smith ,

My kids has been begging for a phone but my husband and I decided we wouldn't get him a phone until he was 16 yrs old. However, because of the safety and GPS capabilities the Gabb phone has we got our son a phone for Christmas. He was thrilled and we have peace of mind. My interaction with everyone at customer support has been amazing! Such a great product and incredible company. Thank you!

Mary-Garner Merz Augusta, GA

My daughter's phone was acting up and I decided to try Live Chat to see if we could get the issues resolved. Rowan K was the support team member who was assigned to our chat and I couldn't be more thankful that he was. He very patiently helped us figure out how to clear the cache as well as figure out why some calls weren't going through. When we say our prayers tonight, we will include Rowan. Thanks, Gabb!

Holly Ledbetter Lehi, UT

We absolutely love the watches. They are perfect for my kids (ages 8, 8, and 6) who ride their bikes to school and activities so we can make sure they made it to their destination and keep in contact with them when needed. My youngest daughter's watch recently stopped working and the customer service has been incredible, especially Jody S. Thank you Gabb!

Tyler Galovich Kamas, UT

Been pretty good so far. Did not receive one of our screen protectors but that is on the company that packages them as we got both packages just one did not have anything in it. Chat customer service agent has that coming and fixed the issue right away once we were able to contact them. Trying to get music set up and GPS tracking and then we and the girls will be very satisfied. They want their music at least since they get no app, and thats fair.

Shannon Phillips Mesa, AZ

The bad: we bought the case and screen protector and screen has shattered twice and no warranty. I wish there was a way to get music without a computer but is what it is. The camera is not great quality. I like the app to see where my kids/phone are and i love keeping in touch with kids and not worrying. I have been a huge support, they need a better case or warranty on protective products.

Ali Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I love having this phone option for my kids! The phones are great, and the one tiny problem we had with my son’s phone disconnecting from the network was easily and quickly fixed through a painless chat with Support. I can’t recommend Gabb enough! I talk about it to all my friends!

casey smith Moorhead, MN

We love Gabb! Always wonderful customer service, quick, efficient and very informative. Our tween loves the phone, it does what is needed and she isn't on it all day with apps. Truly the perfect first phone company!

BSheahan Noble, OK

Always great customer service! I love that I have the ability to keep in contact with my son without him having access to the internet or being able to download apps and games.

Abby Kyle McCune Castle Rock, CO

Jody S. was very informative and helped me know how to fix my son's phone and watch. She also was super willing to reorder me a screen protector. She was super fast and effective.

Ms. Texas Tyler, TX

The phone is great, I love it!! No complaints at all about the actual phone, however, my screen protector is horrible. I ordered the screen protector through Gabb and I've had it less than a month and it already has several cracks throughout the screen. Two of the biggest cracks I found after I'd been sitting down with the phone in my pocket, I wasn't even sitting on the phone! I didn't drop it either. I keep finding more and more cracks and I'm not dropping the phone or being violent with it.

Michel Snyder Medford, NJ

I cannot tell you how excited and relieved I am to have found Gabb wireless. We want to live intentional lives and it has been difficult finding phones and phone carriers that align with this. Thank you Gabb wireless for what you're doing. The customer service that they offer is outstanding! I thank you as a mom and just as a person. You guys are the best

Blanco49 Pryor, OK

I like that this is a simple phone. I am able to communicate with my teen son and not have to worry about filth from the internet reaching him.

Rachel Snyder Denver, CO

Great cell service! Amazing phone for teens and kids! Highly recommend as it's affordable, easy and the customer service is top notch!

Bryson Gregory Lehi, UT

At one point our phone stopped working and they were very quick to help us find a solution. Other than that our son has loved his phone and things have worked out fantastic.

Veronica Saint Paul, MN

This is a great phone! It offers peace of mind for parents wanting to allow their kids to be kids and to be safe with technology. Delivery was fast. Service has been great! Bonus we weren't expecting: my son loves the photo editor on the phone. It allows him to get very artistic with his photos. I highly recommend this purchase!

Angela Merrick West Jordan, UT

I love the customer service at Gabb. Also, I love that my teenager can use a device that looks like a smart phone for unlimited talk and text and I don't have to worry about internet dangers. My teenager is not 100 percent happy with the Gabb phone because every once in a while (around 2-3 times per week) he can't use the service, and in order to get it to work again he has to take the case apart, remove the SIM card, then replace the SIM card and case. He is grateful for a phone but feels that a phone should not have this issue.

Cori & Paul RE Mesa, AZ

The online chat customer service is exceptional. My customer service chat was with a real person who responded promptly and accurately to my questions and comments. She was knowledgeable about Gabb's products and services, was affable in tone, and able to assist me with all of my questions, concerns, and new order.

Brianna Riel Katy, TX

Great company! They're always super helpful and quick to respond. Gabb Wireless has a great product that helps me stay connected with my child and still keep our family's values regarding social media. This phone is my first recommendation to all my friends with tweens. Thanks for a great family friendly product!

Katrina Kadlec Rhinelander, WI

We LOVE this company. Thank you for offering a phone without apps and internet access. Please, please keep it this way!! It is the only safe option for our teens and we have five children. I am hoping your company stays around for a long time and true to your mission... Our oldest daughter has one of your phones and I am going to order another for our second daughter this month. We really appreciate having a safe device to offer them.

Beth Los Angeles, CA

I like what the company has to offer. It’s been something I have searched for for my younger teens. A phone that looks like a smart phone without the freedom of the internet and apps. It also has a camera and the capability to down load music onto it as well as hold an extra SIM card for storage. I also like the fact that you can allow SMS/picture sending/receiving and group texts or not based on the plan you have. I think the plans are very affordable and the phone very reasonably priced as well. I have had to use customer service twice since getting our phones and both times I got a reply before 24 hours. I used their email and both times they were able to help me and fix my problems with clear and easy to follow instructions.

Teacher Mom Modesto, CA

This is an AWESOME product (phone and cell plan) for young teens! I have a 13 year old boy who has enough screen distraction in his life. Gabb allows us to have a connection through phone, text, and GPS for safety, without all of the headaches that come with modern smartphones. It also gives my son a phone with the same look and feel of a modern smartphone--and this is more important than you'd think during the middle school years when they just want to blend in with the crowd. The company itself is FANTASTIC--they do exactly what they say they are going to do. Customer service is fast and easy. I've lost track of the number of people I have recommended Gabb to!

Angela Linville, CFCE Leavenworth, KS

We purchased the Z1 at Christmas time last year (2019) for our 13-year-old, and it served it's purpose well. The only features we really wanted that it didn't offer were GPS tracking, group texting, and image texting (selfishly for my own use). When the Z2 was announced, with the GPS tracking, and the option for the Plus plan with both image and group texting, it was a logical upgrade for this Christmas. We were going to pass the Z1 down to my 10-year-old, as he already had the Verizon Gizmo watch for tracking and basic texting. However, he had outgrown the watchband, and we decided to trade in the Z1 for a second Z2 with the basic plan, and cancel the Gizmo. Both boys were excited to receive their phones, and they do exactly what we wanted them to do. The customer service reps at Gabb have helped us receive promo discounts, transfer lines, upgrade plans, transfer SIM cards, and merge accounts. They are pleasant, helpful, and follow-up with more details or corrections when the situation calls for it. We have kept our Verizon accounts for the parent devices for now (as 15+ year customers), but are happy to have this option for the teen/tween, and have even contemplated switching the parent lines as well. We recommend this option to others and are grateful for a simple, effective, and safe way for our kids to stay in touch.

jedimvma Tysons Corner, VA

i purchased a phone for my 5 year olds to share. it was (is) going to arrive later than expected and i was worried because they're about to visit their dad out of state and i wanted them to have the phone for the visit. i first contacted because the billing is set on a certain day, which happened to be before we go the phone (but after we were supposed to get it) and i didn't want to be billed before my kids were even able to use the phone. the agent who helped me basically said they could disconnect the phone so i'm not billed, and credit me the bill amount that i'd already paid so that once i get the phone i can reconnect and use that credit on my account then. i contacted again 11 days after i was originally supposed to get the phone and that agent explained that there were 2 more days until the time when they would send a replacement, but because of my situation he went above and beyond and asked for approval to send one out 2 days early to make sure we have the phone on time. i have yet to get the phone but i'm already so happy because the customer service agents have been so very helpful, kind, and understanding. i'm so pleased with the help i've received and can't wait for my kids to get their first phone!

Jason Muhlberger Flower Mound, TX

Gabb is a fantastic option for parents!! You have the comfort of knowing that you can reach your kids via call and text. You have peace of mind knowing they can't download any social media apps and engage in more mature online behavior. The device cannot be used for games or web browsing, so the battery lasts a really long time! They make it easy to add MMS services for picture messaging and group messaging. Customer service is extremely responsive through the live chat. Oh yeah, and they include GPS tracking of your child's device via the Gabb app for all their Z2 phones!! - I wish there was an email app on the phones - I maintain an email account for my boy, and would totally let him access that so he could recover his Xbox account, or Nintendo account or what have you. The call, text and data usage can be a bit hard to follow and understand. We often see random data usage during the night times when the device is not in use - I guess it is downloading updates or something. Overall, 10/10

Megan Meyer Marysville, IN

The phone is not good. My daughter said that the camera was terrible quality and I tried taking pictures with it and the were all blurry. And all of the videos that she sent were all blurry and i could barely make out what was in the video. SO PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!!!!!!!!

John Greco Ponte Vedra, FL

I had an issue with pairing my phone to my son’s phone for GPS tracking. Nathan B did an amazing job. He is an extremely professional and courteous employee. He should be commended for his hard work.

Jenni Drennen Huntersville, NC

Amazing customer service for my complicated plan change, phone trade-in, and new line on our family plan. Nate Black explained everything so well and thoroughly, as well as answering all of my questions along the way!

Tim Kansas City, MO

Excellent customer service - very happy with all of it, from the phone to the service. Upgraded to new phone and it worked perfectly...upgraded the service and in a short time over chat it was done. Absolutely recommend it!

Scott Wagner UT

My daughter is thrilled to have a phone finally, and we, her parents, are glad to know she isn't being exposed to the toxic internet at a young age. I contacted customer support via chat and received help on a service plan upgrade immediately. Great service!

Rtsugg Manchester, TN

The customer support is amazing. They were extremely patient with me and helped me get all our family phones up and going. Being able to just have a good phone that is just a good phone without all the 'stuff' is a great benefit.

Ariel Johnson Las Vegas, NV

World class customer service. Simple set up, reliable product, and built-in auto pay make Gabb Wireless easier and better than the rest. If you're looking for safe, secure, and reliable cell phone service for your family and/or your kiddos, this product is for you.

Janine Henson San Diego, CA

Customer service seems great but I haven't received my products yet since I just placed my order.

Heavensenthorse Clermont, FL

This product is marketed as a kids phone, with no internet access. However, we found that for a work phone, i.e. no access to internet, it is fantastic!! It has the features needed to do a job without the distraction of looking online for things. Also, it is a great phone for those not wanting to be tempted to be on social media, etc. It keeps a person humble, honest, andtrustworth. I think the only negative I have, and it's not much of one, is that it doesn't have a map software. But most vehicles have that today anyway, so that is why I didn't mark down my stars. We have had great customer service with this phone. We even bought one for our 16yo's first phone. It's been peaceful knowing he cannot surf the web whenever. It's a least a deterant!

Ellen Blust Middleton, WI

Gabb Wireless offers all that it advertises - a smart, inexpensive way for teens to be in touch with their parents and friends without the addictive quality of internet connection, and without making them feel too different from their peers. I searched for a long time for something like this, and was so glad to find Gabb. Now that my son has his own Gabb phone, I can also say that it works great in all its apps and its network. The phone lasts for days without running out of battery, my son enjoys having it, and the assurance that he can get in touch with us without being tempted to spend all his time staring at a screen... is priceless!

Megan Smith Ogden, UT

Great live chat customer service with Jody S. Resolving our issue quickly. We love both our Gabb phone and watch!

Meredith Yamnitz Littleton, CO

I just did the online chat and it was so helpful! All of my questions were answered. My daughter is learning how to be responsible in a digital world with the Gabb Phone,

Andrew Peterson Minneapolis, MN

This is a great alternative to the Light Phone. Was looking for a phone to unplug with, and my Gabb phone is easier to text with. Would highly recommend!

Stefanie Steck West Valley City, UT

Bill was able to answer my question and then help order a new watch for my son and 2 more to my account. Very quick, super painless...all in all awesome

HonestOpinion Mesa, AZ

Phone is good. Initially had lots of spam. Need some sort of app preinstalled like BARK to hep monitor kids usage. Too many emails from Gabb if you reach out to them for help. Need some sort of parental control for deleting texts or adding contacts.

Nancy South Jordan, UT

So happy that a company finally answered the call that millions of parents have been asking for. A phone that just texts and calls!!! Thank you for saving this momma's sanity and relationship with my children. No children addicted to their phones here, or being indoctrinated by social media!

Kisb Los Osos, CA

Gabb has the BEST customer service I have ever experienced. I had a really tricky time getting everything complete on their very user friendly, but SUPER finnicky website, pure frustration. Every email communication between myself and a couple different representatives kept me trying for this phone. It worked, and I will praise the team members for keeping me a customer!

Kirsten Quint Fairbanks Alameda, CA

Very easy to work with, great product, safe for my young teen, and excellent customer service.

Casadee G Nixa, MO

Simple and easy to use. Safe for my young kid and provides the piece of mind needed while they are away from home.

Elijah Roberts West Valley City, UT

I appreciated the speed and efficiency of the live customer support. I had an issue upon receiving my order, and it was solved within ten minutes.

Annie Grewe Granger, IN

very helpful!!! Answered all my questions. Helped me swap out my phone, buy a new one at a discount and upgrade both lines!

Kim Bowler St. George, UT

Gabb wireless is a dream come true. I don't have to worry about what my daughter is viewing and I can still get ahold of her when needed.

Joshua Squire Ogden, UT

Good product and great customer service in getting everything set up. I've only been a customer for about a month but so far I've been nothing but pleased.

Lily Rivas Windermere, FL

Great company! Excellent customer service! Quality of the phone amazing ! Wish I would’ve buy the newer version with cámara and gps but I will in the near future. Keep up the great ideas and service!

Oh Simple Salt Lake City, UT

We are on our 3rd Gabb for our kids. My kids are happier with out all of the apps. I am happier without all of the worry. Currently, my 17 and 13 year olds are using them. So much peace of mind.