Evolve Vacation Rental

LAST UPDATED: September 5th, 2022

Evolve Vacation Rental was founded in 2011 by Brian Egan and Adam Sherry and was designed to assist owners in managing their vacation rental listings and assist with guest inquiries and reservations. Evolve Vacation Rental is focused on simplifying the process of vacation renting by following a strict rental verification process and providing flexible options with lower fees. Their vetted network of on-the-ground partners are available to handle everything from housekeeping to maintenance.

The Good

• Set, Low Fee for Property Owners
  • Flexible Terms
  • Communication with Guests
  • Property Damage Protection
  • Professional Listings

Set, Low Fee for Property Owners

Evolve is free to join, and charges property owners a set 10 percent of the booking fee for its listing services. In addition, Evolve does not charge a cancellation fee.

Flexible Terms

There is no term commitment for owners. The company’s service is free to join and can be canceled at any time. In addition, owners can use their vacation rental for personal use throughout the year.

Communication with Guests

Evolve handles communication with guests throughout the reservation process. In addition, customers who want help booking can contact Evolve’s travel advisors. They are available seven days a week by phone, email, and live chat.

Property Damage Protection

Unlike many competitors, Evolve does not require security deposits for vacation rentals. Instead, the company offers a Damage Protection insurance program. This program is backed by the insurance company Assurant and costs a set fee of $14.50 per night for guests. This protection covers up to $3,000 in unintentional damages by travelers. Guests are liable for intentional destruction or damage that exceeds the set amount. In addition, Evolve provides protection to property owners with $1 million in liability coverage.

Professional Listings

Evolve uses professional photographers and writers to create high-quality listings. In addition, properties are displayed on multiple sites such as VRBO, HomeAway, Airbnb, and more.

The Bad

• Limited Country Availability
  • Limited Pricing Options

Limited Country Availability

Currently, Evolve only services North America. Owners looking to list properties in countries outside North America will need to use another vacation rental management service.

Limited Pricing Options

Evolve does not offer multiple pricing options. Though it provides a low, set fee, some companies offer different options, such as yearly subscriptions, to fit the needs of different property owners.

The Bottom Line

Evolve is free to join and charges a low, 10 percent booking fee. The company offers flexible terms allowing property owners to cancel at any time and to reserve their property for personal use. Evolve creates professional listings and promotes properties on multiples vacation rental sites. Properties are protected through Assurant insurance and owners also receive liability insurance. Furthermore, it communicates with customers on behalf of property owners. However, owners of property outside of North America will need to use another vacation rental management company. We recommend consumers compare Evolve to other vacation rental management companies to see if it fits their needs.

3.3

Scarlett Arreola Summerville, SC

Evolve manages our rental property and while communication has been limited after the sales team signed us up, we now have a problem with how they remit taxes to the city - Evolve keeps passing the buck, no one will take ownership, and they insist that they are doing correctly when the city says otherwise. It’s crazy the amount of time we’ve spent on this, contacting the city and Evolve. I think they’re good at marketing rentals and price management but that’s where my kuddos end. If someone from Evolve, other than accounting, reads this - will you please work with your accounting team. This also concerns me with how Evolve will handle our guests if there is an problem.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi Scarlett - Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad to hear that you are happy with the marketing and booking management side of our services but are disappointed that beyond that, your experience has been less than satisfactory. Your feedback is valuable to us and we would love the opportunity to look further into this situation for you. Please feel free to reach out to us directly on our social media channels with more information, and we are happy to assist. Thanks again - We look forward to connecting with you!

Mar. 30th, 2022

Trustmit FL

This is an Owner review who trusted evolve with my property. Website is good and there fees are reasonable. That is where it stops and goes all downhill. This is not about the really poor customer service and attitude of some there but more about the flat out disregard for their clients for which they would not have a site to make money from. Everything favors the guest and not the owner- period. Which in some cases we understand the need to help the guest and can deal with some. This is about holding guest payments until they are 5 days into their stay prior to depositing in our accounts. To allowing full refund even up to 48 hours prior to stay and owner get ZERO to their "Smart Pricing" feature which you cannot opt out of which over charges guests so they can make more money and when you ask to set a fee they tell you they cannot. It is sad because this could be a good service and work for both the owner and the guest if they just would balance out there approach. Unfortunately we have to depart this company and we have experienced there poor service and utter lack of client requests for too long. If you are owner beware. They hold "Your" money" and make interest on it for months and even after check-in it takes days to be wired to your account. Pricing requests are like asking Hitler for leniency. It is a shame as just some minor tweaks and they could have a good service.

Mark Thompson Cincinnati, OH

Keep in mind I'm a professional property manager, have managed my own short term rental for years, even managed a couple for others (but no longer do). I chose Evolve for our personal short term rental b/c at 10%, there were just a little more expensive than what we were experiencing in hard costs b/c of payment processing fees and rising Airbnb/VRBO fees. To start, they are great at demonstrating the product, sales, presentation, onboarding, etc. I was so excited to get started with them. This was in December. Then, I when I get done with 90% of the onboarding tasks, I try and arrange pictures, but they gave me a VERY hard time about the fact I had a temporary Tenant living there. After going back and forth a little, I wasn't happy about losing marketing time and why they couldn't just use my pics, but I agreed I would wait a couple of months until March (losing marketing time) when she moved out to make sure the property showed great for the pics. Tenant moved, we cleaned up and remodeled a bath and got pics done and all was fine. Then we get a draft of our listing. In their defense, the rest of this occurred during the beginning and into the first month during COVID-19.....but still..... Let's just say the draft wasn't written that well, and definitely not from someone who knew the lake at all. Pics looked good, but were not in good order. We went back and forth like 10 times in emails trying to get the right wording and pic order. Not only were they confident they knew the lake better than we did, but they were very arrogant about it. Finally, we agreed on the ad. All we had to do left was finalize pricing. When I was onboarding, I made it very clear that I'm happy to trust their algorithm, but I want to set the floor, and I was only really concerned about the floor during the weekends and on holidays, I really didn't care about the weekdays. Now, 3 plus months later, and 99% of the way done with the listing, in the middle of a pandemic, they wanted to tell me they "changed" policy and they are not allowing Owners to set the floor on pricing. They wanted me to list my property for about 1/2 of what it was getting the year before, and their only explanation is b/c of COVID-19. Understanding this unprecedented time, I kept asking for a different solution like "lets put it up for a month with my pricing and see..." to "can I just set the minimum floor on weekends..." to finally, after days of trying to find a solution and them constantly saying "no", I even said... "OK, we've come this far...spent all this time onboarding, and at this point, I just want to get it active and see how it goes. I can still cancel at any time correct?" I kept getting answers that weren't specific for a couple days until finally they said "Thank you for your patience. After review, Evolve has decided it is not the best time to go live with a new listing in your market. That could change quickly, as we are hopeful there will be a return to normal..." and went on to tell me to list myself and try them next year. BOTTOM LINE: Excellent sales and onboarding process, COVID-19 did throw a wrench in my relationship with them and I am understanding of that to a degree.... but they had NOTHING to lose by simply activating my property, yet they chose not to? So now, I have wasted 30ish hours preparing and onboarding and see ZERO benefits from all this work, and I'm out 5 months of marketing time. That, combined how they had so much arrogance about how RIGHT they always were about the listing when I was showing them constant examples of how they were wrong, it all just leaves a bad taste about getting into a long relationship with someone like that. Seems like they want to control you rather than work with you.

Jennifer J Jacksonville, FL

Horrible rental experience included active rodent, rodent feces, unsafe railings, nasty mattress and more. I booked a 4 night stay at a house in TN for our family. The morning of our departure, my young adult daughter informs me that she had found rodent droppings in the downstairs bathroom after the 2nd night of our stay and had heard scurrying noises within the ceiling above her bed. She didn't tell me until the day of departure because she did not want to ruin our family vacation with the news. She asked her adult brother to clean up the droppings the day she found them, which he confirmed were there and that they were "still wet". I checked the downstairs bathroom again before we left and there were more droppings! I also looked in the laundry area downstairs and found even more. So much rodent poop! I photo documented both areas. When I reached out to Evolve, this was the response I got from their 'Resolutions Team' after a few exchanges...an Evolve employer emailed me and wrote "Please know that from experience in this industry, mice are commonly found inside homes. In most situations, mice inhabit homes more often than we are even aware of and while they are not ideal creatures to share the home with, they are not actively disruptive to the entire stay." That is a direct quote from the email sent by Evolve. I asked to have a supervisor contact me. That never happened. This company claims they have core standards for their properties ... Clean, Safe, Guest Ready and As Advertised. This property did not meet a single one of those standards. Rodent feces are not clean nor safe, and certainly were not included in the advertisement. Other safety and cleanliness issues, the railings on the deck were spaced too far apart to be safe for very young children. (I had my 4 year old with me.) The carpet was badly stained and buckled up (tripping hazard.) The king mattress I slept on was nasty and was not covered with a mattress pad only a thin sheet. Had I known of the filth and rodent issue, I would have reached out to the manager sooner. I did call as soon as I knew of those issues. I am giving the company 2 stars instead of 1 simply because I was actually able to speak to a representative. (When I called the local property manager associated with Evolve, no one ever called me back.) With Evolve, I had several exchanges with the Resolutions Team before being told I had to take their measly offer of a tiny partial adjustment or nothing at all. 2 stars is for at least answering the phone and emails. This company needs to do a better job of vetting their rentals! It's a shame that the truly great properties are lumped in with the nasty ones. And since there are limited ways to tell the difference and since their response was so egregious, I would NOT recommend using Evolve.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to leave your review. We take the cleanliness of our homes very seriously and we apologize if you experienced otherwise. One of our resolutions managers, Aimee, has tried to reach out to connect with you, as we would really like to dig into this further. Please give her a call when you can at 720.282.5021.

Jan. 28th, 2020

kadee Lynnwood, WA

**UPDATED** Evolve reached out to me after reading my carefully crafted review of their listing. To be honest, at first, I thought the outreach was a way to explain their practices and I wasn't interested. After responding with my issues to the customer service representative, Patrick, he went above and beyond to help me. He tracked down my review, read it, ensured me it would be posted within 24 hours, and the most important, he validated my frustration with the events that happened during my stay. Patrick worked with me to resolve my case and truly cared about making it right (not just tempering my anger). They also updated their reviews on the listing with a disclaimer that some of them were pulled from HomeAway which is disclosure -- also a change I am happy with. **Original review on 8.12.19*8 Evolve manufactures their listing's reviews. They absolutely filter and silence comments that are less than 5-stars. I gave a low review with a very thoughtful comment and evidence to back up my claims in order to help future potential renters similar to me (this house is great, but not a good fit for everyone and I wanted to share why) . They will not approve the review I left on their platform (which I could see if it were straight slander or no evidence to back up said review). Since no third party program controls their platform (like VRBO or Yelp), they can absolutely create whatever reviews they want (and they do). Be aware of all their 5-star reviews. I wish they understood that sometimes, low reviews with quality comments, are sometimes better for their listing (people can determine if the low review is applicable to them or not). They're taking that opportunity away from potential renters.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Kadee - Thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are sorry to hear you've had trouble posting a review and we want to see if there is anything we can do to help. Our Guest Experience Manager, Patrick, has contacted you directly to discuss your experience and is looking forward to hearing from you. At your earliest convenience, could you please get in touch with Patrick either at 720 .282.5017 or at ? Thanks - The Evolve Team

Aug. 13th, 2019

Peter Doering

I started using Evolve for my vacation rental a little less than 2 year ago. When I first started using them they were outstanding. I was telling everyone to switch. They charge only 10% compared to the other local companies charging 20% and over. Which is a huge difference. Especially since everything is done online now. But they use to be very quick to respond. They really cared about my place - getting it up and ready. I get a lot of bookings - so that is not my complaint. I just think Evolve has grown too big for itself. Now when I put in a request I don't hear back for days. And usually I have to follow up to get an answer. They always have an excuse (Oh this time of year is busy) or (Oh we had a lot of changes this month) or (Oh if you call in we are better at resolving the issue right away) truthfully - I really don't care what your excuses are. And truthfully I love how I can send a request by email - they use to be so quick to respond. I work a full-time job - I really don't want to be on hold for 30 minutes to get it resolved. Truthfully I don't want to hear excuses. I want good response time. I want a group to overlook my property. They need to do whatever it takes to do that. If that means hiring more people - then do it. They have really gone downhill the last 10 months. I think their only focus is to get more clients - very sad.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Peter - Thanks for providing us with your honest feedback. The experience you have described is far from what we want any homeowner to have. We would love to put you in touch with the Director of our Owner Support Team as soon as possible to begin addressing your concerns. Our Director, Stephanie, has contacted you directly and is looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks again - The Evolve Team

Mar. 19th, 2019

Dave Crescent City, CA

As an owner of multiple properties I have had my share of problems with Evolve. They have agents 24/7 but they are on limited hours especially for us on the West Coast. When I call after 7PM I get a recording and it takes a day or two to get a response, if I email them it takes up to a week to get a response. Evolve charges 10% of the rental fee which they even tap the cleaning fee for 10% which isn't right as it comes out of the owner's pocket. The cleaning fee is usually a pass through fee and someone's wages and even if you charged more to cover the 10% it just means more for Evolve on the higher fees. They take no responsibility for their booking mistakes even when they over book the amount of guest staying. Instead of a refundable deposit they charge the guest $14.50 a day for damages for $3000 worth of damage. That won't even cover our couch and love seat. They won't pay claims unless over $25 and then you have to produce a receipt for the item. Our bookings for 2018 were down almost 30% as compared from VRBO for 2017. Seems like their experts over priced our property, which we argued about after we told them we knew our area better than they do but they stood their ground only to find them discounting our property below the price we wanted when someone book the property with less than 30 days before their arrival. After we showed them that our properties in the past had been booked solid all summer and their agency only had it minimally booked they agreed to lower the nightly rate plus we got them to remove the discounted rate as a portion of our bookings are made with less than 30 days prior to the stay. Still down 30%. When you add up all the fees (including the damage fee) it appears the guest pays more with Evolve than other agencies especially when they have an extended stay. We moved away from VRBO as we thought Evolve would be a better deal for us especially not having to return deposits but maybe it was a mistake. As an owner they asked me to email them our suggestions and they would bring them forward to management at their meetings. They also told me they were hiring extra personnel for quicker response times to guest and owners (hasn't happened yet in 1 years) and were working on round the clock personnel for contact ( that never materialized).

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Dave, We're so sorry to hear that you've been unhappy with your experience. Our goal is to make vacation rental easier and more profitable for our owners and it sounds like we've fallen short in your case. We'd love to talk through your feedback to see if there's anything that can be done to improve the situation but based on our outreach efforts we get the impression that you're not interested. If you change your mind, please contact your Regional Performance Manager, Nate at 720.282.5018. Best - The Evolve Team

Mar. 15th, 2019

Judith Hendersonville, NC

The condo was relatively clean, the master bath counter was covered with makeup and hair. There were a lot of the owner's personal belongings in the closet, drawers and under the bed. The hot tub temperature could not be adjusted. I made several calls, and sent texts to the appointed property manager and this issue was never resolved. The water was tepid, too cool for bath water so we were never able to use it. It's been 3 weeks since we checked out and still have not had a resolution to the hot tub issue, we asked for a partial refund and have not been given an answer. There is no view from this unit except the parking lot. We left the unit considerably cleaner than we found it. There is a property management charge in addition to the usual fees, taxes and cleaning fees. This was $227 for 6 days which I feel is exorbitant since management did not take care of problems with the unit.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Judith - Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are so sorry you did not have a wonderful stay and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. It sounds like you've connected with our Customer Experience team and we hope they've addressed everything to your satisfaction. Cheers - The Evolve Team

Aug. 23rd, 2018

Jennifer Royal Oak, MI

Our group of six had a very negative experience with Evolve during our reservation and after speaking to their lower level manager, but a positive experience after speaking to their senior manager Stephen. For those who are considering booking a vacation rental with Evolve, be careful and do your research about the property, especially if you book through a third party website like Airbnb. We booked a Breckenridge cabin with Evolve through Airbnb for our ski trip, and were not warned of some major issues (e.g. the type of vehicle required to reach the cabin, and the fact that the cabin was not correctly located on Google maps). Because of this, we were nearly in a car accident and had to walk around for an hour in the dark and freezing temperature before finding the cabin on foot. We also had to hike 1+ mile round trip from the cabin to our car every time we wanted to go out during our stay. Evolve never returned our multiple Airbnb messages asking for help. Our only contact was their cleaning lady, who was unable to give clear directions to the cabin when we were lost and never returned our second phone call. It is unacceptable that Evolve used Airbnb to market their property, but did NOT use Airbnb to communicate about the property. We were disappointed with their lack of communication and attention to safety, and their refusal to take responsibility when we called them during our reservation. However, a few days after our reservation ended, I talked with their senior manager, who sincerely apologized for the situation and did everything he could to make things fair for our group. This tells me that, while the company still has some major operational issues to solve, their heart is in the right place.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Jennifer- Thank you very much for taking the time to speak with me. I sincerely valued our conversation and will be using your recommendations to revisit how we communicate with guests through the Airbnb platform. Furthermore, the safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us, and I will be sure to use your experience as a training opportunity for our entire team. Thank you again for your time, and please don't hesitate to reach out if I can be or further assistance. Respectfully, Stephen Proffitt, Sr. Manager of Customer Experience.

Feb. 9th, 2018

Francesca Costa Miami, FL

I intitally had a great experience with Evolve. The cabin was amazing! However, we had some minor issues (cable did not work/cable box was blowing smoke). The owner called me about the cable not working and he claimed he spoke to AirBnB in regards to some kind of refund. The next day we woke up to a smoking cable box and I called the property manager, Phil, several times and never received a response back. The smoke was probably a sign of an electrical fire and could've had terrible concequences. Upon my return back home, I contacted AirBnB who contact the "host." The Host claimed I never reported such issues and he never agreed to any refund. I was left a little confused and I was never contacted by Evolve or AirBnB again. I have screen shots of every time I called Phil and screenshots of when the so-called owner called me back.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Francesca. We're so sorry to hear about the issue with the cable box and for the confusion you had reaching out to the proper contact. It sounds like our Customer Experience Team was able to connect with you, and we're glad to hear you were able to come to a resolution. We hope you'll keep us in mind for your next getaway.

Feb. 5th, 2018

Jared Lehi, UT

I booked this property because it was minutes away from the town my mother lives. She is 80 and in poor health so we planned a barbeque with her and the kids for perhaps the last time. I was held hostage on the 4th of July being told no guest were allowed without extra event insurance (We had about 15 people in a giant grassy area of a large cabin). I find that to be absurd. The man from Evolve said unless I paid him 700 only my 7 registered guests could be on the property. I reluctantly paid him to continue the purpose of our trip. The property was great but this company is not.

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Jared - We are so sorry to hear you about the inconvenience you experienced with your event. We would like to put you in touch with our Customer Resolutions Team as soon as possible, however, we are having trouble locating your reservation based on the name provided. At your earliest convenience, could you please contact our Customer Resolutions Manager, Brittney, at 720.305.9274 or ? Thanks - The Evolve Team

Aug. 6th, 2019

R. Barrett Alpharetta, GA

I am a property owner but am basing this review on my experience as a traveler. After my experience as a traveler, I would not even think of listing my property with them. They did not communicate with me after booking my reservation on VRBO and when they did, it was pay the dog deposit within 24 hours or we are not approving your reservation (although supposedly it was a confirmed reservation with VRBO). When I complained, the sales person told me it was their policy. It is a policy to leave rude voice messages?

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hello - We are sorry to hear you had a less than pleasant booking experience with us. It sounds like we fell short in our goal of delivering world-class customer service and we would like to put you in touch with our Guest Experience Team as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we are having trouble locating your contact information based on the name provided. When you have a moment, could you please contact our Guest Experience Manager, Zahra, by phone at 720.961.9636 or email at ? Thanks - The Evolve Team

Jul. 26th, 2019

Ken Bowles Edgewood, NM

started out ok now struggling to get any rentals and my other property a mile away is booked up that i manage adios muchachos

Reply from Evolve Vacation Rental

Hi, Ken - We're sorry to hear our performance didn't meet your expectations. It does look we were able to secure 38 bookings for you over the past 10 months, so we'd love to better understand how this compares to your other property and if there's anything we can do to earn back your business. Please don't hesitate to give us a call if you'd like to discuss things further. Best - The Evolve Team

Jun. 19th, 2019