Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance

Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Logo

5.9

Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance

Over 100 years in business

Liberty Mutual offers everything from auto and homeowners insurance to workers' comp and commercial insurance. The insurer has acquired a number of smaller companies, including Safeco Corp. and Wausau Insurance. Through local insurance companies owned or affiliated with Liberty Mutual, the company offers policies in many countries, including but not limited to Brazil, India, Russia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, the United Kingdom and Vietnam.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Discounts
  • File/track claims

Coverage Features

• Comprehensive coverage
  • Better Car Replacement
  • Rental Car reimbursement
  • Lifetime Repair Guarantee

Better Car Replacement coverage means if your car is totaled in an accident, Liberty Mutual will not just replace the car but provide enough money to purchase a car of the same model that is one year newer with 15,000 fewer miles on the odometer. This ensures that policyholders wind up with a better car, which is a great feature and one that is fairly unique to Liberty Mutual.
In case of an accident, customers can file a claim over the phone, online or through their mobile phone for maximum convenience. Once the claim has been filed, it is possible to track it online. In fact, customers can send photos and documents, find appraisal information, and do many other things online through their personal account.

Discounts

Liberty Mutual offers a good number of discounts, including some that are rare or unique to this company. Examples of this include a new graduate discount, which encourages students to complete their education, a newly married discount, a new move discount and a newly retired discount. Although they don't have the widest number of discounts compared to other major auto insurance companies, they do have an impressive array of them.

• Multi-policy - Bundling with Auto, Home and/or Life
  • Exclusive Group Savings - For members of over 14,000 employers and groups
  • Preferred Payment - Added discount for paying in full
  • New Customer - Switching from another provider
  • Vehicle Safety Features - Anti-theft devices, adaptive cruise control and more
  • Hybrid Vehicle - When minimizing carbon footprints
  • Multi-car - Protects more than a single vehicle
  • Teen Drivers - For parents with new drivers in the home
  • Good Student - Discounts for students 25 or younger achieving at least a "B" average
  • New Graduate - For those who have earned their degrees
  • Newly Married - Discounts for newlyweds
  • New Move - Special savings for immediately updating your new address
  • Newly Retired - Special discounts for those who've earned it by working until retirement

File/Track Claims:

Liberty Mutual offers a free app for iPhones and Android phones that gives access to many of these same features. In case of an accident, the claim can be filed, pictures of damage taken and uploaded, location of the accident mapped on GPS, and a voice message created to store key information all through the mobile app. It is user friendly with a simple layout. Also, Liberty Mutual has a reputation for processing claims fairly quickly, and the addition of a convenient app only makes the process that much faster.

Claims may be filed over the phone, online or with the mobile app. Tracking is available through the mobile app.

The Bad

• Rates
  • Customer support

Rates

It should be pointed out that policy rates are not particularly impressive. They are comparable to other insurance companies but by no means among the lowest. There are definitely more affordable rates out there, so consumers who are chiefly interested in saving money will want to look elsewhere.

Rates seem to have gone up substantially compared to other companies. In fact, Liberty Mutual seems to raise their insurance rates fairly constantly, and the raises in cost are not small. Though the company was praised for offering a wide number of discounts, this is somewhat negated by the constant rate increases. There are plenty of insurance companies who offer fewer discounts but cheaper rates for across-the-board savings.

Customer Support

There are many complaints about Liberty Mutual not providing 24-hour customer support. Online and mobile phone options can be accessed at any time, so customers can acquire emergency assistance or file a claim at any time. However, actually talking directly to an agent or claims representative seems to be a challenge during off hours. Customer service does not seem to be as good as other places, and complaints are widespread.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Liberty Mutual is a stable company with a long history offering reasonable rates on a wide variety of insurance types. They provide some nice and even unique discounts for policyholders, encouraging safe driving, school performance, safer vehicles and environmental responsibility. In fact, for the full range of products offered, particularly on the personal side, it is tough to beat Liberty Mutual. This makes it a suitable choice for all of your auto insurance needs.

However, consumers looking for the most affordable policy might want to look elsewhere. Liberty Mutual is not the cheapest by any means. Also, customers looking for the most convenient company to work with should know that there are many complaints regarding customer service issues. However, the company does provide convenient online and mobile phone access for most needs.

4.1

Amber
September 19th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT

We had Liberty Mutual for many years until recently. We switched our auto insurance because Luberty Mutuals rates for teenage drivers were higher than their competitors.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Liberty Mutual is the only car that offers better car replacement. I appreciate them because they think outside the box and try to give you the best service.

Lori Lori
July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Good coverage for reasonable rates, but rates increase every term. 4 stars instead of 5 for Teen driving rates being much too high.

Madge Easton
June 11th, 2018 Orem, UT

we have had this insurance for our cars and home for anumber of years. We were able to get a discount by bundling home and cars. Good to adjust when we have had to change our policy.

Bayla
May 25th, 2018 Sarasota, FL DETAILS

They helped me through 2 repair procedures with no questions.

Scott Marten
May 21st, 2018 Pueblo, CO DETAILS

Very friendly. Great rates. Great website

Friend
May 21st, 2018 Monticello, GA DETAILS

Good service and personal. We have our homeowners policy with them as well. They are higher than we paid in VA, but Georgia rates are higher across the board

Lee Akeley
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Nice beginning rate, then next year big increase

JAMES
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

They do what they say. Their road services are top rated in my book. Customer service I rank very high. I have had several insurance companys in the past and none can hold a candle to Liberty Mutual.

Myrna
May 11th, 2018 DETAILS

several different alternatives, car replacement, easy pay

Misled
May 7th, 2018 DETAILS

Any claims or questions have always been handled very quick and everyone I speak with is friendly, professional and helpful.

Cathy Gordon
May 1st, 2018 West Chester, OH

Based on the TV adverts, I detest this company. It plays to millennials who feel that they are entitled to much more than they should be. I hate the commercials and would never seek this company out.

Maryayb
April 11th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

So Impressed by this company! They handled legitimate claims quickly and professionally.

Maureen Lawlor
March 26th, 2018 Endicott, NY DETAILS

Best customer service ever. Very helpful and they are always curtious!

Tlak
March 16th, 2018 Baldwinsville, NY DETAILS

Great agent who is opwn about all options and customized my coverage for my needs

Tan Siang
March 16th, 2018 DETAILS

fast, efficient, good priced. Customer service is good, trustwothy

WILLIAM POTTER
February 21st, 2018 Huntersville, NC DETAILS

a little high in my opinion for what they have to offer you

Sampson Adu-Poku
February 21st, 2018 DETAILS

The agent lied to me. I had Geico, I went to liberty mutual because of homeowners insurance and the experience isn't good

Rene Atkinson
February 5th, 2018 San Juan, TX DETAILS

Price, service and ease of access. It is easy to speak with representatives/humans.

George Frankovich
January 22nd, 2018 DETAILS

Great customer service , fair price, quick claim settlement

Kelly Musgrave
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Good service, good value, fair. You deal with a real person and they respond.

Janice Muzzi
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Always available to answer questions or solve problems when you call.

Jon Healy
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Double coverage for less money, great customer service ,agent well informed and willing to listen to your needs.

Marc Lipman
January 15th, 2018 DETAILS

Their prices are reasonable and their service is excellent

Chaz
January 9th, 2018 DETAILS

They have been great except the increases in Premiums? When I have never file a claim to anything

Dan
December 18th, 2017 Rowlett, TX DETAILS

Liberty Mutual has great customer service and the process to fulfill claims is smooth and simple. Their online platform is very good and allows you to check your policy documents, change your policy, etc. all online. The only issue with them is that they are often over-priced when compared with competitors. I see Liberty Mutual as the Verizon of insurance companies. Best quality for the highest price.

Sandy Sutton
November 7th, 2017 Spanish Fork, UT

I felt like Liberty Mutual thought of me as a policy number and not an individual customer. I feel they need assessable and individual service people for different areas who you talk to

Jennifer Cameron
September 14th, 2017 Herndon, VA

Rates are high for a used paid off vehicle

Breanna Jones
June 6th, 2017 Herriman, UT

My car was hit and the person who hit me has this insurance. When I called to report the accident, the process was fairly quick and painless. I was upset because of the accident but I appreciate the claims process being easy.

Joshua Stewart
June 2nd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I love the wide variety of discounts offered.

Kari Staheli
June 2nd, 2017

I had a multi-policy with Liberty Mutual for my cars and home. I went with it because I received a good discount from Liberty Mutual through my husbands work. This company was great when I had a small fender bender in a parking lot. The customer service quickly walked us through the steps so we could get our claim in and our car fixed.

Michael Moss
April 11th, 2017 Neptune, NJ

When a company pulls their ads from a TV show over "alleged" charges & out of court high $$ "settlements" in an attempt to influence what/who I watch, I will no longer do biz with them. A very scary tactic to determine "approved" TV content & going down a very slippery slope. As for my opinion directly related to Liberty Mutual car insurance, I was getting very tired of their annual +/-10% rate increases DESPITE a perfect driving record with yet another insurance company. Thankfully, I never needed to file a claim.

Chris Guenther
May 6th, 2016 Orem, UT

I have been with Liberty Mutual for both auto insurance and renters/homeowners insurance for years, and every time I shop around I can't find any company that can beat the rates I am getting along with the great service and good coverage. I consistently get really good customer service when I call in, I can get a hold of my local agent if I really need to , which I rarely do because the 1-800 service center always takes really good care of me. I just added my 2 teenage boys to my auto policy, and amazingly after all of the discounts we qualified for, the rate is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. In fact it's a really good rate that I thrilled with! Maybe its because we have been with them so long, but whatever the reason I am a very happy customer and very pleased with the rates I pay, the service I receive, and the coverage provided. I am a very satisfied Liberty Mutual customer!