WordPress.com Logo

WordPress.com

9.0

LAST UPDATED: August 11th, 2021

Wordpress.com proudly professes that it powers 18.9% of the Internet. Wordpress is open source and the most popular online publishing platform. Wordpress is operated by the larger company, Automatic, a company that serves more than 15.8 million pages a month, and believes in democratizing publishing and web development. Wordpress.com has 320 employees and has offices in San Francisco.

The Good

• Reputation
  • Plan Options
  • Analyzing Tools

Reputation

Wordpress.com is the standard for website publishing platforms, known by almost all on the web, and used by plenty more. Wordpress offers a few different options for plans, and the prices are pretty standard, about $24/monthly for their business plan.

Layered Technologies offers the hosting for the company, and the data centers are state-of-the-art. The average uptime is 99.88 percent, great for a company of its size. Over the past ten years WordPress has helped millions of people quickly build and publish their websites.

Plan options

One of the services that they many of their customers take advantage of is their free plan. This plan offers customers free hosting, a wordpress.com address (free sub-domain in other words), 3GB of storage, and access to all of the free and premium templates. This plan is a great start-up plan for any customer to use to quickly get their business on the internet.

It is fully possible for the customer to create a professional, modern-looking website that has many features their visitors would need or want through this free package.

Some customers may never need any other functions or services in the lifetime of their website, but others might expand enough that they need a little more from WordPress. This is easily fixed as the customer can upgrade to either of the other plans at any time.

These other plans allow the customers to add features like custom domains, more storage and eCommerce tools. These plans are also very affordable for the customers, with just a yearly fee of $99 or $299. That is a reasonable price for the services and support available to these members.

Analyzing tools

Many website building companies offer their customers access to Google Analytics to help them track the traffic to their website. This is an important function as the customer can see patterns from their visitors, like times of day or types of posts that drive more traffic, and then utilize that information to bring more business to their website.

WordPress offers these analyzing tools right on their dashboard for any member. When a customer logs into their account they can see trends in visitors over the course of the day, week, month or year. They can track which pages had visitors and even where the visitors came from. This is another feature that makes the WordPress free package so popular.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Targeted
  • Accessibility of Commerce Tools
  • Limitations

Pricing

WordPress is efficient and effective, this is partly why there prices is a lot higher than most all website builders. Wordpress's high pricing is the companies biggest downfall in our ranking criteria in the overall picture.

They also are designed and built for more of the advanced web designers and users. Though, once you understand how to operate WordPress it is a good interface for almost all users.

Targeted

One of the greatest things about Wordpress in comparison to the other companies is its main target audience for bloggers and blog site building. But this also takes away from the well-rounded features that other web builders have for working with any business or personal website design.

Please note that with WordPress it can be designed for any type of work, hence one reason why they have the highest amount of sites powered on the web, but consumers need to know what they are doing.

Accessibility of commerce tools

One thing to point out is that the commerce tools that are offered are not as easily accessible as other website builders. WordPress does not offer any eCommerce tools exclusively through their platform. They have partnered with three third party plug-ins, (Shopifiy, Ecwid, and Gumroad), to bring these features to their customers.

While these plug-ins bring a good variety of tools, they come at an additional cost to the customer. It might also make things more complicated for the customer to have to go through another company for part of their website maintenance. At the moment, all email customer support is only available to the Premium and Business paying customers.

This has not always been the case but a backlog of support issues has made them reduce the number of customers who can use this feature in order to keep up better.

Limitations

Any customer can access their community forums and Frequently Asked Questions pages in order to try to find the answers they need. The community forum is filled with articles about common actions and questions, as well as discussion boards for members to help answer each others' questions.

The Bottom Line

The free package that is offered to WordPress customers provides a way for them to quickly and easily get a website functioning and published. From there they can easily manage the site through their analytics system and easy editing program. If they ever need more, they can upgrade to get a fuller spectrum of services.

The customer needs to be willing to spend time researching answers, as only paid customers can get direct support. WordPress is a recommend website builder if you are willing to take the time to learn and are looking to build a business online or operate a personal blog.

Though other websites offer many more features for a lower price, many plugins are still available. If you have been a WordPress user we invite you to leave a comment on your experiences for the benefit of future potential users.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

We normally just download the Wordpress software and have only used the site once (more if you count using it to view sites as a consumer). It's a little clunky but honestly we like the ease of use in developing new sites.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

Wordpress is a great way to create an adorable website. I have a Wordpress site that I used for a class and it was a cool interface to use, it can be kind of confusing though.

Sarah Ramirez Belleville, NJ

WordPress is the best when it comes to new websites. Whether you're trying to build a one page website, a new blog or to build a multi-level website with all the bells and whistles, WordPress makes it pretty simple to do. I've been using WordPress for different blogs and websites for well over 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

I run my Pest Control company website through WordPress. My wife originally built my site and was able to complete the website in one evening because of all the tools they give you. The best part about WordPress is they only charge me $26 a year to host my site, what a deal.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I attempted to make a website om WordPress, but I didn't follow through. The program is great and provides lots of customization, but for me that was its fault. I was just looking to make a portfolio website and it became far too complicated. If you wish to make a basic website and you don't have experience, I recommend looking else ware.

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

I was a blogger for my work for 5 years and used WordPress daily. I found it relatively easy to use. Importing photo was not difficult. The one thing I found very frustrating was there was no support manual for this product. You had to go online and ask around to see if someone could help me with my question. I enjoyed using it and will probably use it again in the future.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Wordpress has been great for our business website. It is easy to add pages and change information. It is also great for optimizing SEO. There are a lot of plug-ins that work seamlessly with Wordpress. The only thing that is a challenge is sometimes it recommends an upgrade to certain plug-ins that cause fatal errors. Be sure to always do a back up before updating anything.

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

Great product. I've had some issues with security. You are always being attacked and keeping up on the security updates with Wordpress and all the plugin's is daunting. I would like to see that improved.

Garrett Mingus Provo, UT

I had to create a blog for a school assignment. I thought that it would be difficult to create, but the process was easy, it's very user friendly and customize-able. So far I have not run into any major problems or issues using it.

Jada Scott Provo, UT

WordPress is a great content management system that allows users without much coding knowledge to create an attractive website. There are tons of free plugins which extend functionality and many forums and tutorials to help you if you need it.

Taylor Larson Phrae, 54

WordPress.com made the process of creating my page simple and painless. I like the instructions that they give.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

Pretty easy to use, but still some areas that I don’t fully understand because I’m not very tech savvy. It works well for my needs, though.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

It's a very robust platform, but for me it was a little too much. I guess I should have gotten some training, but I had to dive right in and figure it out fast.

Daphne Brown Riverton, UT

I like your service and your product. Just a little too hard to run and manage overall for most people. There are people who can use it but the majority find it too confusing.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

WordPress.com makes website building fun and easy. With no coding or programming experience, I was able to build a top notch website and use it for school projects and continuing to develop my resume.

MaKayla Christiansen Provo, UT

Word press helped me build my website to be exactly what I wanted out of my own personal web browser. It was easy to use and not confusing like other web building sites. It is an amazing program for building a website.

murfday College Station, TX

We hired someone to do the initial setup, but it is easy to upkeep. User friendly with formatting and changing content.

Tracy Hill Draper, UT

I used this company for a project in college and I really enjoyed it. It was easy to use and figure out and it was easy to share my website with others.

Shari Evers Lehi, UT

WordPress made it extremely easy to build a website. So easy that someone like me who has absolutely no computer techy skills could do it, and make it look good!

Mason Allen Provo, UT

The most basic of website building sites. Simple, effective, free. Good for blog sites.

Hayley Lambdin Orem, UT

Wordpress is awesome for my blog that I post various monologues on. It has a great mobile app as well!

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Word press was the way I got my blog started. It has great features that are up to date and great tips and tricks when learning the software.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I used WordPress to create an online portfolio and am pleased with the outcome of it. It was really simple and easy to use.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

Building a website on WordPress is extremely easy but I don’t feel like it gives you as a professional look at some of the others.

Cassandra Sunnyvale, CA

I used WordPress.com for my little cake business. It wasn't super user friendly, but after some trial and error I got it up and running.

Nicole LeBaron Provo, UT

I like WordPress.com for blogging. I think it’s very easy to use since I’m not a person who knows how to work technology very well.

Humzah

I used word press in order to create a website and was very happy with the varierity of tools and ease of access to host it.

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

I was happy with WordPress when my college class required we build a website. For a newbie, I was happy with the results.

Annie Orr Provo, UT

WordPress.com is the best place to start your own website. It is so easy to create and you get so much free range to make it how you want.

Foote Queen Creek, AZ

I have found that WordPress is easy to use and you are able to put together a great website without a lot of knowledge on how it works.

Samantha Millville, UT

I have a blog on WordPress and have been happy with navigating and getting it started! A reasonable price for a dot com!

Sydney Boren American Fork, UT

I use it for blogging all the time. It is amazing and very useful. I only wish the blocking of accounts was easier.

Customer Saratoga Springs, UT

WordPress is a great starter website tool. It’s easy to use and has good help documentation if you run into problems.

Nathan hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

The comment system for Wordpress is very intuitive, and I really like seeing how many people get to express themselves!

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

Great website builder but it is a little daunting on the back end for day to day e-commerce use.

mgillings

Super easy site to use, my only complaint is that it the options given are pretty basic.