Wordpress.com proudly professes that it powers 18.9% of the Internet. Wordpress is open source and the most popular online publishing platform. Wordpress is operated by the larger company, Automatic, a company that serves more than 15.8 million pages a month, and believes in democratizing publishing and web development. Wordpress.com has 320 employees and has offices in San Francisco.

The Good

• Reputation
  • Plan Options
  • Analyzing Tools

Reputation

Wordpress.com is the standard for website publishing platforms, known by almost all on the web, and used by plenty more. Wordpress offers a few different options for plans, and the prices are pretty standard, about $24/monthly for their business plan.

Layered Technologies offers the hosting for the company, and the data centers are state-of-the-art. The average uptime is 99.88 percent, great for a company of its size. Over the past ten years WordPress has helped millions of people quickly build and publish their websites.

Plan options

One of the services that they many of their customers take advantage of is their free plan. This plan offers customers free hosting, a wordpress.com address (free sub-domain in other words), 3GB of storage, and access to all of the free and premium templates. This plan is a great start-up plan for any customer to use to quickly get their business on the internet.

It is fully possible for the customer to create a professional, modern-looking website that has many features their visitors would need or want through this free package.

Some customers may never need any other functions or services in the lifetime of their website, but others might expand enough that they need a little more from WordPress. This is easily fixed as the customer can upgrade to either of the other plans at any time.

These other plans allow the customers to add features like custom domains, more storage and eCommerce tools. These plans are also very affordable for the customers, with just a yearly fee of $99 or $299. That is a reasonable price for the services and support available to these members.

Analyzing tools

Many website building companies offer their customers access to Google Analytics to help them track the traffic to their website. This is an important function as the customer can see patterns from their visitors, like times of day or types of posts that drive more traffic, and then utilize that information to bring more business to their website.

WordPress offers these analyzing tools right on their dashboard for any member. When a customer logs into their account they can see trends in visitors over the course of the day, week, month or year. They can track which pages had visitors and even where the visitors came from. This is another feature that makes the WordPress free package so popular.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Targeted
  • Accessibility of Commerce Tools
  • Limitations

Pricing

WordPress is efficient and effective, this is partly why there prices is a lot higher than most all website builders. Wordpress's high pricing is the companies biggest downfall in our ranking criteria in the overall picture.

They also are designed and built for more of the advanced web designers and users. Though, once you understand how to operate WordPress it is a good interface for almost all users.

Targeted

One of the greatest things about Wordpress in comparison to the other companies is its main target audience for bloggers and blog site building. But this also takes away from the well-rounded features that other web builders have for working with any business or personal website design.

Please note that with WordPress it can be designed for any type of work, hence one reason why they have the highest amount of sites powered on the web, but consumers need to know what they are doing.

Accessibility of commerce tools

One thing to point out is that the commerce tools that are offered are not as easily accessible as other website builders. WordPress does not offer any eCommerce tools exclusively through their platform. They have partnered with three third party plug-ins, (Shopifiy, Ecwid, and Gumroad), to bring these features to their customers.

While these plug-ins bring a good variety of tools, they come at an additional cost to the customer. It might also make things more complicated for the customer to have to go through another company for part of their website maintenance. At the moment, all email customer support is only available to the Premium and Business paying customers.

This has not always been the case but a backlog of support issues has made them reduce the number of customers who can use this feature in order to keep up better.

Limitations

Any customer can access their community forums and Frequently Asked Questions pages in order to try to find the answers they need. The community forum is filled with articles about common actions and questions, as well as discussion boards for members to help answer each others' questions.

The Bottom Line

The free package that is offered to WordPress customers provides a way for them to quickly and easily get a website functioning and published. From there they can easily manage the site through their analytics system and easy editing program. If they ever need more, they can upgrade to get a fuller spectrum of services.

The customer needs to be willing to spend time researching answers, as only paid customers can get direct support. WordPress is a recommend website builder if you are willing to take the time to learn and are looking to build a business online or operate a personal blog.

Though other websites offer many more features for a lower price, many plugins are still available. If you have been a WordPress user we invite you to leave a comment on your experiences for the benefit of future potential users.

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Word Press is so awesome!! I wrote a few things of my own on there and it made me feel confident! It was easy to access and publish things. You also have the option of people reading it online or leaving it private!

Nick Hansen

February 27th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super easy to use! I took a web design class in college and have used more complex software programs, but Wordpress is easily my favorite and the easiest to use particularly as my technical skills have become outdated in my older years.

David T

February 23rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Word press is the least expensive way to go but sometimes I feel like the websites don’t look as professional as some of the other website building companies.

Audrey Mitchell

February 22nd, 2020 Managua, MN

Word press was the way I got my blog started. It has great features that are up to date and great tips and tricks when learning the software.

Amanda

February 7th, 2020 Montebello, CA

I used WordPress to create an online portfolio and am pleased with the outcome of it. It was really simple and easy to use.

Juliann Mecham

January 31st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have my own blog with WordPress.com and I love it. It is easy to navigate, attractive to the eye, and nice to advertise your site.

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Building a website on WordPress is extremely easy but I don’t feel like it gives you as a professional look at some of the others.

Arielle Lawson

January 26th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used this website to make a blog in high school. I really enjoyed it. It’s easy to use and a great help.

Jacob

January 7th, 2020 American Fork, UT

I have used WordPress.com for all of my website building needs at school. With hardly any set up, you follow the simple instructions and you have a beautiful and professional looking website already built up with hardly any effort.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

WordPress is doable if you're familiar with backend development. It's semi user friendly, but it can get confusing when editing your site.

Juan

December 9th, 2019 Beaver, PA

I am a web developer and wordpress is my favorite tool for making websites. It is easy to use and very customizable. the community is huge and there are alot of people that make widgets and run forum pages to help others out.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like your service and your product. Just a little too hard to run and manage overall for most people. There are people who can use it but the majority find it too confusing.

Amanda Purpura

November 18th, 2019 Gibsonia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This platform is extremely user-friendly so it is perfect for someone just starting from scratch building a website for the first time.

Amanda

November 15th, 2019 Warrendale, PA

I think WordPress.com is great and easy to use. Highly recommend to new users who are getting started

Derica Parathundil

November 15th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

There is not much freedom in using this website. It really limits you with what you can do. I'd honestly find it easier to just code using HTML and CSS. It's simple and easy to use if you really are not good with technology.

Jon Scoresby

October 14th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

For the free service it does good job. I don't like how many adds on your site though. I wish they could make it look a little cleaner with the adds.

Sydney Boren

October 11th, 2019 American Fork, UT

I use it for blogging all the time. It is amazing and very useful. I only wish the blocking of accounts was easier.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WordPress.com makes website building fun and easy. With no coding or programming experience, I was able to build a top notch website and use it for school projects and continuing to develop my resume.

Cassandra

October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used WordPress.com for my little cake business. It wasn't super user friendly, but after some trial and error I got it up and running.

Garrett Mingus

October 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT

I had to create a blog for a school assignment. I thought that it would be difficult to create, but the process was easy, it's very user friendly and customize-able. So far I have not run into any major problems or issues using it.

Aliza Henline

September 28th, 2019 Provo, UT

Such a good platform for a blog type feeling website! I like how it is approachable and simple.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 20th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I created my blog on this website and it was the easiest website to use. I am happy I found it.

Paige Baldwin

July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used Wordpress to create a more professional looking website and I am so pleased with the results. It was easy to navigate and I was able to achieve my look I wanted, no questions asked.

Tracy Hill

June 19th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used this company for a project in college and I really enjoyed it. It was easy to use and figure out and it was easy to share my website with others.

Nicole LeBaron

June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like WordPress.com for blogging. I think it’s very easy to use since I’m not a person who knows how to work technology very well.

Marissa

June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN

I like WordPress for the most part. It's not as intuitive as I would like, and I really struggled building my website through them.

Humzah

June 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used word press in order to create a website and was very happy with the varierity of tools and ease of access to host it.

Jacob Shaner

June 2nd, 2019

I have used this through my college to edit a club website. It has a very good interface for someone with little programming experience. You don’t have to know any programming, and it worked really well.

Myles Cox

May 28th, 2019 Portland, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Simple to use, lots of great free themes and more available on the web, and extreme flexibility allowing me to make any kind of website I would like.

Jada Scott

February 12th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WordPress is a great content management system that allows users without much coding knowledge to create an attractive website. There are tons of free plugins which extend functionality and many forums and tutorials to help you if you need it.

Steve Anderson

February 11th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was a blogger for my work for 5 years and used WordPress daily. I found it relatively easy to use. Importing photo was not difficult. The one thing I found very frustrating was there was no support manual for this product. You had to go online and ask around to see if someone could help me with my question. I enjoyed using it and will probably use it again in the future.

August Moulton

February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I built my first website on Wordpress. It is extremely user friendly and I couldn’t be happier with the process. There are countless help videos and articles to walk you through the entire process. The layouts are amazing and basically everything is done for you. You cannot go wrong with Wordpress!

Customer

February 1st, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

WordPress is a great starter website tool. It’s easy to use and has good help documentation if you run into problems.

Lori Fletcher

January 30th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT

I was happy with WordPress when my college class required we build a website. For a newbie, I was happy with the results.

Annie Orr

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT

WordPress.com is the best place to start your own website. It is so easy to create and you get so much free range to make it how you want.

MaKayla Christiansen

January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Word press helped me build my website to be exactly what I wanted out of my own personal web browser. It was easy to use and not confusing like other web building sites. It is an amazing program for building a website.

Dasha Directo

December 17th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wordpress is great for bloggers. If you're looking to build just a resume site, then I'd look elsewhere. The templates for Wordpress aren't the easiest to use, so you should have some experience with making a website when using wordpress. The prices are pretty expensive too. I think there are cheaper website creators.

Mildred Carter

December 8th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wordpress is extremely easy to navigate around and use to create a nice, quick and easy site for you to start from. Obviously you don't need to know everything HTML and CSS related to get started and they have a lot of built in tools to assist you in creating a site that you can be proud of.

Matthew Carbaugh

December 7th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

There is a bit of a learning curve that requires some research from blogs, forums and youtube to understand. Very versatile once you understand how to utilize all the tools and plu-in extension apps for your website.

Jane

December 7th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Okay well, actually my mom uses this website, not me, but she does a wonderful job. She puts together a blog for my brother, who’s currently serving a mission in Japan for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and the layout is great! It’s easy to use, and the formatting is perfect for a non-techy like my mom. 10/10. Oh and it’s free!

Amanda Purpura

December 6th, 2018 Gibsonia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use WordPress for a blogging site and it is awesome. Extremely easy to navigate and understand. And there are tons of opportunities to advance your knowledge and keep improving your site. Highly recommend this for any web hosting needs!

Dee Farquharson

December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC

Nice site building site. I love the drag and drop feature. There is a tutorial that helps you along the way. I have not paid for the premium version so i cant speak to those features. Organizing the website and choosing a theme was easy. I assume I would ahve had more options if I paid for the premium features. Sizing my picture for the banner was a little bit of a headache and took me more time than i wanted.

Katie Howard

December 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

WordPress is amazing. It is a bit of a learning curve if you're building a custom site with it, but it has a whole community of users who contribute templates, offer advice, and answer questions. I've built several sites using WordPress, and I love how flexible it is. I've always been able to find what I need using free themes and templates, but there are lots of paid options out there, too.

Rischelle Mikkelson

December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wordpress has been great for our business website. It is easy to add pages and change information. It is also great for optimizing SEO. There are a lot of plug-ins that work seamlessly with Wordpress. The only thing that is a challenge is sometimes it recommends an upgrade to certain plug-ins that cause fatal errors. Be sure to always do a back up before updating anything.

Tommy Blunt

November 16th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Simple, cheap, effective, what else is there to ask? I used WordPress to create a blog for my family and it's going strong for two years with no issues! Overall great quality for the cheap price.

Nathan hanzel

November 5th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The comment system for Wordpress is very intuitive, and I really like seeing how many people get to express themselves!

Rachel B

November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wordpress is a great platform if you know the dashboard interface, I used it to design my website and I love it!

Lisa Hanson

November 4th, 2018 Calabasas, CA

Very streamline and user friendly. Doesn’t take too long to set up and be ready to get started

Mary

October 31st, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wordpress.com was extremely helpful for this first timer website builder. They have great template options and very helpful customer service if you get stuck.

Kimberly Maddock

September 19th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Wordpress.com is a one stop shop for website building. They provide all the themes, plug ins and other services for your site. They were great for a newbie like me!