WordPress.com Logo

WordPress.com

9.0

LAST UPDATED: August 11th, 2021

Wordpress.com proudly professes that it powers 18.9% of the Internet. Wordpress is open source and the most popular online publishing platform. Wordpress is operated by the larger company, Automatic, a company that serves more than 15.8 million pages a month, and believes in democratizing publishing and web development. Wordpress.com has 320 employees and has offices in San Francisco.

The Good

• Reputation
  • Plan Options
  • Analyzing Tools

Reputation

Wordpress.com is the standard for website publishing platforms, known by almost all on the web, and used by plenty more. Wordpress offers a few different options for plans, and the prices are pretty standard, about $24/monthly for their business plan.

Layered Technologies offers the hosting for the company, and the data centers are state-of-the-art. The average uptime is 99.88 percent, great for a company of its size. Over the past ten years WordPress has helped millions of people quickly build and publish their websites.

Plan options

One of the services that they many of their customers take advantage of is their free plan. This plan offers customers free hosting, a wordpress.com address (free sub-domain in other words), 3GB of storage, and access to all of the free and premium templates. This plan is a great start-up plan for any customer to use to quickly get their business on the internet.

It is fully possible for the customer to create a professional, modern-looking website that has many features their visitors would need or want through this free package.

Some customers may never need any other functions or services in the lifetime of their website, but others might expand enough that they need a little more from WordPress. This is easily fixed as the customer can upgrade to either of the other plans at any time.

These other plans allow the customers to add features like custom domains, more storage and eCommerce tools. These plans are also very affordable for the customers, with just a yearly fee of $99 or $299. That is a reasonable price for the services and support available to these members.

Analyzing tools

Many website building companies offer their customers access to Google Analytics to help them track the traffic to their website. This is an important function as the customer can see patterns from their visitors, like times of day or types of posts that drive more traffic, and then utilize that information to bring more business to their website.

WordPress offers these analyzing tools right on their dashboard for any member. When a customer logs into their account they can see trends in visitors over the course of the day, week, month or year. They can track which pages had visitors and even where the visitors came from. This is another feature that makes the WordPress free package so popular.

The Bad

• Pricing
  • Targeted
  • Accessibility of Commerce Tools
  • Limitations

Pricing

WordPress is efficient and effective, this is partly why there prices is a lot higher than most all website builders. Wordpress's high pricing is the companies biggest downfall in our ranking criteria in the overall picture.

They also are designed and built for more of the advanced web designers and users. Though, once you understand how to operate WordPress it is a good interface for almost all users.

Targeted

One of the greatest things about Wordpress in comparison to the other companies is its main target audience for bloggers and blog site building. But this also takes away from the well-rounded features that other web builders have for working with any business or personal website design.

Please note that with WordPress it can be designed for any type of work, hence one reason why they have the highest amount of sites powered on the web, but consumers need to know what they are doing.

Accessibility of commerce tools

One thing to point out is that the commerce tools that are offered are not as easily accessible as other website builders. WordPress does not offer any eCommerce tools exclusively through their platform. They have partnered with three third party plug-ins, (Shopifiy, Ecwid, and Gumroad), to bring these features to their customers.

While these plug-ins bring a good variety of tools, they come at an additional cost to the customer. It might also make things more complicated for the customer to have to go through another company for part of their website maintenance. At the moment, all email customer support is only available to the Premium and Business paying customers.

This has not always been the case but a backlog of support issues has made them reduce the number of customers who can use this feature in order to keep up better.

Limitations

Any customer can access their community forums and Frequently Asked Questions pages in order to try to find the answers they need. The community forum is filled with articles about common actions and questions, as well as discussion boards for members to help answer each others' questions.

The Bottom Line

The free package that is offered to WordPress customers provides a way for them to quickly and easily get a website functioning and published. From there they can easily manage the site through their analytics system and easy editing program. If they ever need more, they can upgrade to get a fuller spectrum of services.

The customer needs to be willing to spend time researching answers, as only paid customers can get direct support. WordPress is a recommend website builder if you are willing to take the time to learn and are looking to build a business online or operate a personal blog.

Though other websites offer many more features for a lower price, many plugins are still available. If you have been a WordPress user we invite you to leave a comment on your experiences for the benefit of future potential users.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I have used wordpress.com to create a simple website as a portfolio for some work that I did during my undergrad. Making the site was very simple with the tools that were provided. The upload feature was very helpful for PDF documents and images. It is a very easy site to use and if you run into any questions, you can find most of the answers on YouTube!

TTeep Smithfield, UT

We normally just download the Wordpress software and have only used the site once (more if you count using it to view sites as a consumer). It's a little clunky but honestly we like the ease of use in developing new sites.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

Wordpress is a great way to create an adorable website. I have a Wordpress site that I used for a class and it was a cool interface to use, it can be kind of confusing though.

Karli American Fork, UT

I created a blog with WordPress.com and had a great experience. It was for a school assignment, and I got full points for it looking nice, and being easy to navigate. The basic options were plenty for my needs, and I was able to accomplish everything I needed to. I liked how my family could subscribe to my blogs and that they would get notifications when I posted something new.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Have been using WordPress for years both at work and for school PTA projects as well as youth sports. It is easy to learn for noncomputer types but robust enough for those who know enough to do something fancy.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

My husband convinced me to make my own website this past year and helped me set it up with Wordpress. I wasn’t a huge fan at first because it can be pretty complicated. But I got the hang of it and love how customizable it is.

Sarah Ramirez Belleville, NJ

WordPress is the best when it comes to new websites. Whether you're trying to build a one page website, a new blog or to build a multi-level website with all the bells and whistles, WordPress makes it pretty simple to do. I've been using WordPress for different blogs and websites for well over 5 years and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

Nice site building site. I love the drag and drop feature. There is a tutorial that helps you along the way. I have not paid for the premium version so i cant speak to those features. Organizing the website and choosing a theme was easy. I assume I would ahve had more options if I paid for the premium features. Sizing my picture for the banner was a little bit of a headache and took me more time than i wanted.

Katie Howard Pleasant Grove, UT

WordPress is amazing. It is a bit of a learning curve if you're building a custom site with it, but it has a whole community of users who contribute templates, offer advice, and answer questions. I've built several sites using WordPress, and I love how flexible it is. I've always been able to find what I need using free themes and templates, but there are lots of paid options out there, too.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

I run my Pest Control company website through WordPress. My wife originally built my site and was able to complete the website in one evening because of all the tools they give you. The best part about WordPress is they only charge me $26 a year to host my site, what a deal.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

I recently had to learn this on the fly, and let me tell you it is not a very self explanatory product to use. I've used free sites and had no issues with them at all, was able to jump in and get some content on a page right away. Wordpress' UI really made it difficult to grasp, after about 2 or 3 months I am finally able to get in and through pages on my site and get them to run smoothly and look good.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I attempted to make a website om WordPress, but I didn't follow through. The program is great and provides lots of customization, but for me that was its fault. I was just looking to make a portfolio website and it became far too complicated. If you wish to make a basic website and you don't have experience, I recommend looking else ware.

Nick Hansen Eagle Mountain, UT

Super easy to use! I took a web design class in college and have used more complex software programs, but Wordpress is easily my favorite and the easiest to use particularly as my technical skills have become outdated in my older years.

Jacob American Fork, UT

I have used WordPress.com for all of my website building needs at school. With hardly any set up, you follow the simple instructions and you have a beautiful and professional looking website already built up with hardly any effort.

Juan Beaver, PA

I am a web developer and wordpress is my favorite tool for making websites. It is easy to use and very customizable. the community is huge and there are alot of people that make widgets and run forum pages to help others out.

Steve Anderson Lindon, UT

I was a blogger for my work for 5 years and used WordPress daily. I found it relatively easy to use. Importing photo was not difficult. The one thing I found very frustrating was there was no support manual for this product. You had to go online and ask around to see if someone could help me with my question. I enjoyed using it and will probably use it again in the future.

August Moulton Lehi, UT

I built my first website on Wordpress. It is extremely user friendly and I couldn’t be happier with the process. There are countless help videos and articles to walk you through the entire process. The layouts are amazing and basically everything is done for you. You cannot go wrong with Wordpress!

Mildred Carter Woodbridge, VA

Wordpress is extremely easy to navigate around and use to create a nice, quick and easy site for you to start from. Obviously you don't need to know everything HTML and CSS related to get started and they have a lot of built in tools to assist you in creating a site that you can be proud of.

Jane Alpine, UT

Okay well, actually my mom uses this website, not me, but she does a wonderful job. She puts together a blog for my brother, who’s currently serving a mission in Japan for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and the layout is great! It’s easy to use, and the formatting is perfect for a non-techy like my mom. 10/10. Oh and it’s free!

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

I use WordPress for a blogging site and it is awesome. Extremely easy to navigate and understand. And there are tons of opportunities to advance your knowledge and keep improving your site. Highly recommend this for any web hosting needs!

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Wordpress has been great for our business website. It is easy to add pages and change information. It is also great for optimizing SEO. There are a lot of plug-ins that work seamlessly with Wordpress. The only thing that is a challenge is sometimes it recommends an upgrade to certain plug-ins that cause fatal errors. Be sure to always do a back up before updating anything.

Taylor Larson Phrae, 54

WordPress.com made the process of creating my page simple and painless. I like the instructions that they give.

Liza Wilson ,

I love the ease of personalizing my own site. Word press is very beginner friendly but also allows for a lot of creative freedom!

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

Great product. I've had some issues with security. You are always being attacked and keeping up on the security updates with Wordpress and all the plugin's is daunting. I would like to see that improved.

Janie Dennis Tallahassee, FL

Word Press is so awesome!! I wrote a few things of my own on there and it made me feel confident! It was easy to access and publish things. You also have the option of people reading it online or leaving it private!

Garrett Mingus Provo, UT

I had to create a blog for a school assignment. I thought that it would be difficult to create, but the process was easy, it's very user friendly and customize-able. So far I have not run into any major problems or issues using it.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

I used Wordpress to create a more professional looking website and I am so pleased with the results. It was easy to navigate and I was able to achieve my look I wanted, no questions asked.

Jacob Shaner

I have used this through my college to edit a club website. It has a very good interface for someone with little programming experience. You don’t have to know any programming, and it worked really well.

Jada Scott Provo, UT

WordPress is a great content management system that allows users without much coding knowledge to create an attractive website. There are tons of free plugins which extend functionality and many forums and tutorials to help you if you need it.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

There is a bit of a learning curve that requires some research from blogs, forums and youtube to understand. Very versatile once you understand how to utilize all the tools and plu-in extension apps for your website.

Tommy Blunt Mesa, AZ

Simple, cheap, effective, what else is there to ask? I used WordPress to create a blog for my family and it's going strong for two years with no issues! Overall great quality for the cheap price.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

Pretty easy to use, but still some areas that I don’t fully understand because I’m not very tech savvy. It works well for my needs, though.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

Wordpress is great if you're going for a blog style website. The drag and drop feature can cause a lot of display issues. I would recommend wordpress for people trying to make a website for a hobby business but otherwise I would recommend having one built for you / building it yourself through code.

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

It's a very robust platform, but for me it was a little too much. I guess I should have gotten some training, but I had to dive right in and figure it out fast.

Brodie Smithfield, UT

My wife and I used Wordpress to design and manage our website and it has been great to use since we are novices to web design.

Daphne Brown Riverton, UT

I like your service and your product. Just a little too hard to run and manage overall for most people. There are people who can use it but the majority find it too confusing.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

WordPress.com makes website building fun and easy. With no coding or programming experience, I was able to build a top notch website and use it for school projects and continuing to develop my resume.

MaKayla Christiansen Provo, UT

Word press helped me build my website to be exactly what I wanted out of my own personal web browser. It was easy to use and not confusing like other web building sites. It is an amazing program for building a website.

Dasha Directo Provo, UT

Wordpress is great for bloggers. If you're looking to build just a resume site, then I'd look elsewhere. The templates for Wordpress aren't the easiest to use, so you should have some experience with making a website when using wordpress. The prices are pretty expensive too. I think there are cheaper website creators.

Mary West Jordan, UT

Wordpress.com was extremely helpful for this first timer website builder. They have great template options and very helpful customer service if you get stuck.

Kimberly Maddock Pleasant Grove, UT

Wordpress.com is a one stop shop for website building. They provide all the themes, plug ins and other services for your site. They were great for a newbie like me!

Chase H Provo, UT

I love that they offer free templates and hosting for bloggers (if you don't get a professional domain name). Although, I would rather host through a separate service and install wordpress on my site rather than going through Wordpress.com. Also, invest in a nice theme with visual composer and save yourself the headache.

murfday College Station, TX

We hired someone to do the initial setup, but it is easy to upkeep. User friendly with formatting and changing content.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Everyone says this is user friendly, but it was difficult for me to navigate. If it's going to be promoted as easy to use, then I think it should be.

Lilly Logan, UT

I have found all the add ons and services they offer to be very confusing. They always seem to be calling me trying to get me to upgrade what I’ve got, even though I don’t understand why.

Lottielyn Schwenke Orlando, FL

Great to use! The best part about WordPress is being able to edit templates and use custom designs for whatever project you're working on.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

WordPress helped me get my personal blog up and going. They made it really easy to create and it was very user friendly.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

I have my own blog with WordPress.com and I love it. It is easy to navigate, attractive to the eye, and nice to advertise your site.

Amanda Purpura Gibsonia, PA

This platform is extremely user-friendly so it is perfect for someone just starting from scratch building a website for the first time.

Derica Parathundil Tallahassee, FL

There is not much freedom in using this website. It really limits you with what you can do. I'd honestly find it easier to just code using HTML and CSS. It's simple and easy to use if you really are not good with technology.