Wix.com

Wix.com Logo

9.3

Wix.com

Wix was founded in 2006 and has steadily grown every year since. They now serve over 50 million customers and have 45,000 new sign-ups every day. Their business model helps customers to quickly and easily get a website functioning and published so they can reach their customers. With hundreds of design templates, apps and other features, there is something for every type of customer on Wix.com.

Wix.com is the brainchild of Avishai Abrahami, Nadav Abrahami and Giora Kaplan. They serve those 50 million users across 190 countries. Wix has grown to fill offices from Tel Aviv to New York and Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine to San Francisco. With over 900 employees, Wix has won many awards, including 'Best Web Tool' from WebHostingSearch.com.

The Good

• Easy to use
  • Features
  • App Market

The designers at Wix have worked hard to create a system that is easy to use and will have something for anyone who wants to publish a website. One of the products that they offer that is unique to their company is the one-page templates. These are exactly what they sound like; one page websites. The customer can choose from a large number of templates that are designed by the team of Wix designers to look professional and attractive. They offer three different categories of this type of site:

• landing page
  • coming soon
  • personal

The one-page website is not practical for large businesses or online stores. But it is the perfect place for a business to start being found by online visitors. The customer can create one of these types of sites with their basic, most important information. Then as they need and as they grow, they can add pages and features to their website until it's exactly what they need. This one-page website works perfect with the free plan offered and can be upgraded at any time to any of the premium plans offered.

In addition to the main features offered by the Wix website builder, they also have an App Market the customer can visit and choose features they would like to add to their site. This is a part of their easy-to-use site building program. Once the customer's website is built, or while they are building it, they can visit the App Market and browse the different categories to see what would help make their website more complete. Some of the categories include:

• eCommerce
  • Social
  • Marketing tools
  • Business apps

They range from comment boxes, polls and live chats to subscriptions for newsletters, SEO tolls, and social media streams. Once the customer has found an app they are interested in adding to their site, they simply click the add button and most of the work is done for them. This service allows customers to really customize their website and make it as interactive as they want it to be.

Here is a few other highlights:

• Wix.com has a ton of great options for plans, including plans for the small business owner, the entrepreneur, and a priority support plan.
  • All the plans have great options for the right amount of storage, bandwidth, analytics, hosting and support.
  • The online customer support is quick and helpful, and Wix.com offers the ability to schedule phone calls with customer service representatives-skipping the long holds.

The Bad

• No custom design
  • No free trials
  • Fee structure

One feature that Wix is missing in their product line is an option for custom design. What they do offer is hundreds of pre-designed templates for the customer to choose from. These templates are organized by the type of website it is, like entertainment, blog, retail & fashion, photography, business & services, and others. In these categories the templates are separated down into specific parts of that industry. For example, in the Restaurant & Hospitality category the designs are then broken down into the sub-categories of Bar & Club, Café & Restaurant, Catering & Entertaining, Food & Drink, and Hotel. This organization makes it very easy for the customer to search for whatever type of design they are looking for. Among the hundreds of templates, there should be something for any type of customer. But if there isn't, they do not have the option of hiring a designer to create exactly what they are looking for. For those picky customers, this could be a problem.

Here is a few other things to consider:

• There are no free trials for any of the premium plans, and the data center has mixed reviews on reliability of hosting.
  • The fee structure can be a bit confusing, especially as you have to purchase the eCommerce package in order to get a shop on your website.

The Bottom Line

The unique services and products that Wix offers, like their one-page templates and App Market, help them to give their customers a great place to build their websites. Their affordable prices, including a free plan, allow customers to stay within their budget and still get the site they want. Wix is a company that will be great to work with as a business grows and expands their needs.

If you have been or are a user of Wix.com we invite you to leave a comment on your experiences for the benefit of future potential users.

Shari Evers
September 18th, 2018 Lehi, UT

Wix has such cute creative webpages. I was needing something that is pretty simple for a sports website for my daughter, and choosing Wix made that happen!

James Larson
August 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I am a long-time user of Wix and believe it is one of the best site-builders out there. They are always updating their features, which makes it great for a non-web developer like myself to put out beautiful and functional web sites.

Jodie Larson
August 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

When I started a personal blog, Wix is the program that I used to build my site and update my posts. My husband (who is computer savy) helped with the initial set up but once things were in place, Wix made everything easy enough that I was able to upload new posts and edit previous ones by myself!

Darrin Henry
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Wix was very simple to use and easy to navigate. I would like more free options though.

Jodie Larson
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Wix is easy enough to use that even I, a non computer person, was able to use it to blog.

Dave Brinton
August 24th, 2018

Very intuitive, and easy to use. I love that what you see is what you get. Great web sites created without spending a lot of time.

Lisa steinepreis
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Amazing product for it being free, can be a little difficult to navigate, but overall good.

Troy Siren
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Easy to use. Great value. Have used many times over the years.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT

Used this to create a resume website. It is extremely easy and there are a lot of things to to make your website look professional without a lot of work.

Chase Huntzinger
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

Great option for somebody looking to get a website without having to code. My experience has been that it is hard to make the site look like they do in the commercial, but still a good option.

P. Palmer
April 18th, 2018 El Paso, TX DETAILS

I used Wix to make my professional website and it looks great for the price. They have a ton of designs and its super user friendly.

Trent
April 18th, 2018 Provo, UT

They are easy to use and make it fast to set up website that look good.

Amanda
April 16th, 2018 Sherwood, OR

I use Wix.com for my photography business site and I LOVE IT!!!!! you can do so much for free on it! It is extremely easy to use! Plus they have a really good Q&A if you need to figure something out. I can create albums for my clients with full quality photos for them to download! The website was easy to build and customize! They do try to upsell you all over the place but you can still do a ton without paying anything!!

Tom McCurry aka Bakerman
May 26th, 2015 Hood River, OR

Wix.com is one of the best decisions we have made......It has enabled us to reach large audiences and bring people to our breaks. take a look for yourself: http://gastorniszack.wix.com/13thannualbreak Bakerman & BBi

Salvador Lopez