Squarespace Logo

Squarespace

8.3

Since 2004, Squarespace has been helping customers to design, build, publish and manage websites for any purpose. It strives to continually evolve and keep up with the changing internet trends. With three different packages to choose from, customers should be able to find the perfect fit for their needs and wants regarding their new website.

From the website, the company mission states:

"Squarespace's mission is to provide creative tools that help anyone give a voice to their ideas. From the designers and engineers who are creating the next generation of web and mobile experiences, to anyone putting a website together for the first time, Squarespace provides elegant solutions that set new standards for online publishing."

The Good

• Design Options
  • Features
  • Free Trial

Design Options

Squarespace offers more than 25 of these types of templates for their customers to use if they want. Pre-designed templates are great for those customers who do not know how to build a website themselves. They simply have to choose which one they like, make a few simple changes, add their content and the website is published. They are designed with a specific type of business in mind to keep them looking professional.

But if a customer would like more control of the look of their website and has some knowledge of coding and online building, Squarespace has their Developer Platform. This program is said to be used by some of the top designers today and really helps these types of customers (or their agencies) to take advantage of all the options and features they might want in one easy location. This is a unique opportunity for creative customers to have complete control of their website from beginning to end while still working with a hosting company for the support.

Squarespace has unique design opportunities for those customers who are less-technically inclined. They promote a design feature that is called the cover page, essentially it is everything that the visitor would need to know about the customer on one website page. These pages are supposed to make a big impact on their visitors and really make an impression. But these pages are quick to create and require no extra effort on the customer's part. This type of setup encourages the customer to showcase their most important features and leave out the filler pieces. Since these pages are very visually appealing and different than the norm, they will help draw visitors in to learn more about the businesses being promoted.

Features

Squarespace has an uptime of 99.99% and has wonderful customer service. It has a lot of great features for websites. Squarespace's prices are reasonable, and their templates modern and up to date.

Free Trial

They offer a free 14-day trial so that you can get to know the software before buying. Squarespace has an uptime of 99.99% and had wonderful customer service if you aren't looking for an immediate answer. They have a lot of great features for their websites, and overall are a great company.

The Bad

• No Free Package
  • Pricing

No Free Package

Though Squarespace gives their customers the opportunity to take advantage of these unique features, they do not offer a free package with basic features to their customers.

If a customer wants to, they can try out a Squarespace website for free in their 14-day trial. But once those two weeks are up, the website will either have to be upgraded to a paid package or the site will be discontinued. The lack of a free plan can be a breaking point for some customers, as many like to start with a free plan and then upgrade as their business grows and the needs of their websites change.

Pricing

After the customer decides to keep his website and upgrade to a paid package, they will have three options to choose from: Personal, Business, and Commerce.

If you choose to make month-to-month payments the prices for these packages range from $12 per month to $36 per month. These prices are a little higher than many of their competitors, especially their basic Personal package. However, if you pay annually than the overall monthly price is dropped to $8 - $26, depending on the package.

Many of the companies who offer similar services offer their customers a free package that includes the basic features a website could need. These often include access to pre-designed templates, hosting, easy editing, some customization, and blogging. Occasionally these companies will offer the ability to sell a few (under 5) products in their free packages as well.

The Bottom Line

Squarespace has a ton of great features for every website, but offers no free website. The uptime is wonderful, but the company wasn't extremely transparent. Overall, we would recommend this company for the Professional and Business plans of their website, but if you are looking for a free or inexpensive personal site, Squarespace may not fit your needs best.

Customers who do choose to work with Squarespace will have a unique experience due to the original options offered to customers.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Squarespace has some amazing templates and layouts to making a beautiful website very attainable! The interface can be a little trickier than some other platforms though and for e-commerce it is not as strong as some platforms where that is their specialty.

Taylor Allan Lehi, UT

Squarespace is extremely user friendly. Really clean simple designs and building/maintaining your site is easy. I've built a few websites with them and couldn't recommend using them more!

Leisha Logan, UT

Square Space is my website host!! Their easy to use interface makes having a website and maintaining it myself such a breeze. They often send emails on how to optimize my website!! I would recommend them to everyone who wants a shop with a blogging option. I actually have several different sections to my website, it’s awesome!!

Raquel San Jose, CA

I have used Squarespace for my wedding website and my babyshower website. The site is easy to navigate and put together. I have zero background or experience in designing a website and with their prompts - they make it very easy to create a beautiful site.

Cade Boudreaux Irving, TX

Squarespace is by far the easiest to use website maker out there. I had to make a website for an college class and searched for many websites until i ran across squarespace. It literally tells you step by step how and what to do and doesn’t look trashy at all.

Jasmine King New Orleans, LA

Squarespace is an excellent product creating your own website, for both new and veteran content creators. I’ve had overall good experiences and have no complaints. The design is easy to use, and it's fairly cheap compared to most other sites with the same product.

Violet Owl

I had a problem with deleting an image. For the life of me I couldn't figure it out. I decided to reach out to customer service through their live chat. They were friendly and patient and didn't stop helping me until we solved the problem. I was very pleased and help that I chose squarespace to host my domain.

Ali Hanif

SquareSpace has an awesome customer service team, although they aren't available real time if you tweet at them they get back to you same business day. the forums are quite detailed and you often can get your questions answered there, with the help of the community which is quite vocal

Patty Mascia Missoula, MT

I reach out to Squarespace via Twitter & was sent a link for one-on-one chat support. Lisa B. walked me through reinstalling the DNS (apparently I had broken the site myself - oops! XD) and was very patient with my browser-juggling. She was very kind and helpful, and I truly appreciate her guidance.

Noah Love

I moved my site over it square space and bough I had no understanding of building a website, each template allowed me to customize to my liking. I love how free I am to make my site my own. The pricing and domain and email set up is streamlined for convience and the add-on's are amazing!!!

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

Last year I had a friend who was raising money so she could go to India with the humanitarian group called Days for Girls. She sold necklaces and used Squarespace as her POS device. I helped her sell the necklaces and squarespace worked great and without any hiccups! Ultimately, we were able to use it to receive the money from customers and earn enough for her trip!

Brody B Orem, UT

I used SquareSpace for a previous businesses e-commerce website and was always happy with their service. Customers seemed to love the ease of use processing their payments and we never had any issues with charge disputes. The back end software is what I liked most about their e-commerce services. Reporting and reconciliation has never been easier.

Lindsey B Orem, UT

We used SquareSpace for our eCommerce transactions on our company website for years. The reports are very easy to use and the accounting aspects make reconciliation simple. I also know many people that use SquareSpace and have never heard any negative comments. That must say something when it comes to their overall product and service. I would highly recommend SquareSpace to anyone looking.

Gavin Schmalz Saratoga Springs, UT

SquareSpace is a great service if you need to build a website. the website templates that squarespace offer look great and the process of setting a website up is very simple. Squarespace offers features for selling things online and can help you manage your orders. they can also help link your website with Paypal or process credit cards for easy payment.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I actually bought a domain from Squarespace but then realized I can only use their website builder for my domain and nothing else. The website builder is insanely expensive and you cannot customize much of it. So I requested a refund on my domain and bought it somewhere else.

jaci finch Corpus Christi, TX

I made a website of squarespace, but I didn't go through with it. In the end, the pricing options just didn't work for me. The building tools were great though.

Kamau Patrick

100% uptime, user friendly, responsive customer care, good designs. Although it doesnt have 100% of features i wanted,i still believe its the best service that fits me. Their secure websites for customers is such a good thing!

Chad Hamre

I really like squarespace for simple content sites, but I was using it for ecommerce. Eventually I need to migrated to something like shopify or tic tail, but was horrified to find out there was no way to export my ecommerce inventory from the app. This was crazy since I had manually created thousands of products, and there was no way to keep that work if I moved. After being held prisoner for a year, I finally found a chrome extension (http://export-squarespace-products.com) that would let export my entire product feed from squareapace and make the move to shopify. Ahhh.

Connor Farmington, UT

The possibilities are endless on Squarespace and provide a great opportunity to make your small business website your own. Sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the possibilities, but the help option is extremely helpful and the customer service is great if you get stuck.

Kathryn Robinson Riverton, UT

I used Squarespace for online donations for a school fundraiser. I love the reports and data information Squarespace provides. It worked perfectly for the fundraiser and we were able to generate a lot of online donations using this platform.

Eliza Anne Jones Provo, UT

I would recommend Squarespace over any other website builder. They have professional and up to date templets. Once you choose a templet, you can edit the style as much as you want and really make it your own. I would recommend to friends for sure!

Brennan Orem, UT

I feel like what sets SquareSpace apart from other ecommerce platforms is their back end software. The reporting from an accounting standpoint is amazing. We have never had problems with customers or product transactions. I would recommend Squarespace to anyone needing help with their ecommerce.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Square space was an awesome service for making my own website for my company. The online service was easy to use and made making really easy the price it was given at.

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I have used their service for the last couple of years and most of the time I'm satisfied with what they have to offer. Their mobile app is very easy to use but I couldn't find a way to export my my inventory from their app. Also, their templates are simple and very useful.

william Sayer Greenville, SC

We had issues with my wife's website for her business on Squarespace. It worked fine on the IPhones we tested, but on the default browser for the Samsung Galaxy it would not navigate once you reached the homepage. You also couldn't fill in the information in the contact form on her page. She contacted Squarespace and they initially sent a generic email explaining some ridiculous steps that wouldn't work. She persisted in getting help from their customer support and they said it worked fine in Google Chrome on the Galaxy. Great! Now we just have to tell all of our potential customers to get Chrome! When my wife said that it was the default browser that didn't work and not Chrome, they said everything was fine on their end (just ignoring her concern). Galaxy owners outnumber IPhone owners 2 to 1. Most people don't download Chrome. They use the default browser. This is truly a horrible business practice. There is a valid problem here and they won't do a thing to fix it. By the way, this was tested on 3 different Galaxies with the same result.

Aidan Keogh Ogden, UT

I've been a Squarespace customer for 3 years. They make building and maintaining a website really easy. Between their scheduler and online store (which are also easy to use) my website turns a profit every year!

take7 Sandy, UT

Good for those games we attend and buy things from like food and gear. It's very easy to set up and then easy to use. It's helpful when people use it too. Emailed receipts and saving information if you want to is helpful.

bailey jo Orem, UT

Very clean and easy to use. Helped me to set up my company business website and I didn't even need any help to set it up. They were very willing to help if I ever had needed it.

Maddie Bloomington, IN

Great platform for novice & more experienced web designers. I’ve had my Squarespace site for a while now & i’ve loved my experience with them. Great costumer service & useful tutorials.

Dean Ogden, UT

I have used Squarespace for a number of events and functions and they make it so easy to do business. Their fees are low for the service they provide and customer service is amazing!

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

If you want to stand out with a professional website, Squarespace is your answer. The templates are so beautiful and creative. You have a free trial to begin and its so surprisingly easy.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Square is very easy to integrate into our website with using Word press. They also have a payment option which is convenient for our customers. We get paid quickly and refunds are easy.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

Great for building simple sites for service-based business. I was able to get my site up and going in a day.

Trent Allen Queen Creek, AZ

Takes time to learn how it works, but very easy after you get the basics down. The website looks amazing. The helps pages gave us the needed training.

Maile Curtis Salt Lake City, UT

Great content and layouts. It was really easy to build a website that I wanted for my business. I never had a problem with them.

Jane-Maude

Caution! Scam! Squarespce web site didn't give you the 100$ Google Adwords credit you sign for when you purposing a year subscription. We gived your credit code to use with Google and after they will charge you the amount in your credit card anyway!! And you have any change to get a refound!! Attention!! Fraude! Le site web de Scarespace ne donne pas le crédit de 100$ de Google Adwords prévu dans le contrat d'un an. Vous mettez le code dans Google et ils vous chargent quand même sur votre carte de credit. Vous avez aucune chance d'avoir un remboursement après!!

Benjamin LeBlanc Norcross, GA

Square space has that easiest website creating service available. They offer many discounts to their customers and although their customizationMight be slightly limited, I would still recommend this website.

Juan Beaver, PA

Squarespace is a easy to use website builder. I have played with it a little before and helped a few friends with it since i am a web developer. You can create modern looking websites for a low price.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

We have not had any trouble using squarespace. Its easy to upload new inventory and manage current inventory and I love the custom reports we can make.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

SquareSpace is great because of how intuitive and easy it is to use. I have always been able to figure it out and I love how attractive the templates are.

Shawn American Fork, UT

We use square space for our website and it has been great simple to use and they just started offering finance options for our clients which will be very helpful since we have large purchases on our site.

Dallin Smith Kaysville, UT

I used squarespace to build my website. It was easy to use even for someone like me who isnt a computer genius! They were always there to help whenever I had any questions.

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

Square space offered such great opportunities to start a website with the basics. However I didn’t want to spend money on the upgrades.

Naz Taha

Key worden: excellent service , elegant layouts, show of Analytics, globalisering, userfriendly, Social media, quick response on Twitter

Michelle Schow Saratoga Springs, UT

We used Squarespace for a school fundraiser and it was awesome! They have a lot of tools for tracking money and generating reports.

Jami Howell Farmington, UT

very clean and neat looking, good price for all of the options you get. felt like wix had more abilities, but squarespace connects to a lot of different platforms seamlessly

Rose Perez Orem, UT

We created our website for our non-profit business using square space. It was easy to use and very user friendly for our customers

Joshua Allen Queen Creek, AZ

So many great templates to choose from. After you learn how to navigate the creation process you can customize you site to look just how you want.

Ashley Roberts Norcross, GA

Squarespace is a very clean design and is very easy to use but cancelling the subscription is hard and i personally dont think it is worth the money

Luis Diaz Dallas, TX

I used squarespace to make a website for a photography business I used to have and it was insanely easy to use.