Bluehost Logo
BlueHost was founded in 2003 by Matt Heaton and is headquartered in Orem, Utah. The company has over 700 employees and powers over two million websites. They offer shared, VPS, cloud, and dedicated hosting plans as well as optimized hosting for Wordpress, with various levels of features and pricing.  They also offer unlimited bandwidth and storage on some plans.

The Good

• Great Features
  • Unlimited storage, bandwidth, and emails
  • Discounts for education

Great Features

It's easy to see why BlueHost is so popular. They offer affordable hosting options, and a slew of attractive selling points with their plans, including:
  • Unlimited domain hosting
  • Unlimited hosting space
  • Unlimited file transfer
  • Unlimited email accounts
  • Free domain name
  • Free site builder with templates
  • Free instant set-up
  • MOJO resource marketplace
  • SSL encryption
  • Advanced site back-up

BlueHost for Education

BlueHost for Education offers discounted services for students, and free services for faculty members. They also provide helpful options for institutions, including portfolio tools and an online portal that tracks student participation.

The Bad

• Customer service issues
  • Lacking transparency with pricing

We like that BlueHost's customer support is U.S.-based, but we think there is room for improvement. We had to wait longer than anticipated to speak with a representative, and other customers have expressed similar disappointments in dealing with both customer service and technical support. While BlueHost has phone and live chat customer service options, they do not provide assistance over email. We would like to see BlueHost add email to their services.

Lacks Transparency

To pull customers in, the company offers a highly discounted price for the first month's subscription-about half off for both shared and dedicated servers - which is great. However, these advertised prices might mislead customers who misunderstand or fail to read the fine print. We would like to see BlueHost be more upfront about their non-discounted price.

The Bottom Line

BlueHost is well worth the consideration of individuals and small businesses aiming to increase traffic, and improve site appearance. They don't have quite the range of technical sophistication that some larger companies might require, but the premium dedicated hosting plan will more than suffice for most users. Factor in the Facebook credits, Google advertising offers, and rave reviews for its customized cPanel SimpleScripts, and BlueHost just might be your best hosting option.

3.4

Ryan Salt Lake City, UT

About 3 years ago I realized I needed to build a site to house my resume and projects for potential employers. I did some research and found Blue host was exactly what I needed. What I really liked was calling customer service when I needed help and how easily it integrated with Wordpress. I would recommend anyone that isn't tech savy like me to use bluehost.

Chirag Parmar

It's been bad experience with bluehost. I have suffered 5 days downtime for my website and loss almost $10000. They do not have technical people available 24 x 7. Only support executive team available which can only logged ticket. But not give you any solution. They don't understand priority. Even they are not keep you update regarding your issue time on time. Overall it's bad support services

Jenny whipple Mesa, AZ

Blue host has been amazing to work with. One call helps me solve any of my tech questions.