Zoom Logo
LAST UPDATED: January 15th, 2022
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I have both a free and a business account through my work with Zoom. I have also used the education version of Zoom when doing online school. I definitely prefer the paid accounts for Zoom as they allow for unlimited recording time while the free account limits your time and ability to record meetings. The education version of Zoom is awesome because I really enjoy the break-out rooms feature so that you can have little huddles in teams or get private help from other students or TAs. I like how Zoom lets you either blur your background or use custom backgrounds. I always choose something fun like holiday or themed backgrounds and you are able to find and upload your own images for the backgrounds as well.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Zoom is a great way to communicate remotely. I have used it for meetings, to watch special events and to just visit with my family. Is like the chat feature. Being able to ask questions and comment is very helpful. I also like that I can used different backgrounds, so everyone doesn't see if I have cleaned my house!

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Zoom has made communicating with my friends and coworkers so easy while we're at home because of COVID-19. The mute feature is essential when I have to step out for a minute, as well as the ability to shut off my camera. The break-out feature is also very helpful when I'm guiding a meeting and need smaller groups.

luke dalton Riverton, UT

I like Zoom for the fact that it is an simple, easy way to connect with people. You can have large groups, or just a one on one talk, but it works great for everything. I wish that you could make it so you only hear one person talking when you are listening to someone from an audience standpoint. Great place to connect.

Clay Thurgood Salt Lake City, UT

During online school I was forced to do online class a lot, and that’s when I was introduced to it. I’ve used it several times meet with people virtually and it’s extremely handy.

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

I can't believe how many meetings I've attended on zoom. What a Godsend this technology is to be able to allow me (and my family) to attend classes, funerals, meetings, etc. all through zoom!

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

As a college student in the pandemic, it was uncertain and new to how we would resume learning while being away from a physical classroom. I am grateful for Zoom allowing teachers and students to still be able to meet and use Zoom as an online classroom. Even outside of the classroom, Zoom is being used to hold online gathering events, panels, seminars, business meetings, watch parties, and holiday get-togethers. Zoom is very easy to use and rarely encounters problems.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Zoom is the easiest to use. As a college student, everyone has to be familiar with zoom and understand how to use it. It is easy to learn and effective. Sometimes it can be a little glitchy, but that happens generally because of wifi issues. If you are going to college, zoom is easy to use, and easy to set up. If I could give it a 6/5 stars I would!

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Zoom took over during the pandemic and for good reason. Meetings are always clear with very few glitches, i.e. rarely lose video or audio. The feature are great as well with screen sharing and recording.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

I love using zoom as an effective way to communicate virtually, you can ssign breakout rooms to get others to interact more intimately, and you are given up to 40 minutes free to chat!

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

Overall I think that zoom is very reliable. It makes it easy to communicate with my professors and peers in college. Although I personally dislike virtual classes zoom has made it very feasible. I have taken tests over zoom and I prefer that way more than proctoring sites that constantly occur errors.

Spencer M Meridian, ID

Zoom has always worked really well for me. It is really easy to navigate and set up. The only thing I don't like about it is that in order to host meetings they make you create an account. Free but a bit of a hassle. And it only lets you hold meetings for forty minutes unless you upgrade to premium.

Nashali Vescovacci FL

Zoom is a great company because it is easy to work and very convenient. It is the best company compared to its competitors. It also has very helpful features such as the record and share your screen option, making it great for meetings.

Jec Canby, OR

A life savor when Covid hit. Wow, we used zoom a lot. and for so many different reasons and events. School, church, work, group dates, activities, etc.... Now that we no longer need to meet via Zoom we still use it occasionally for convenience and time saving. Easy to learn, free options, secure options, well know.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been a life-saver during COVID times. Zoom sometimes has small technical issues but nothing a quick update can't solve. Easy to use, largely accessible, and unmatched features such as backgrounds and screen sharing. Largely recommend.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been extremely helpful during the COVID-19 pandemic. Although there are other platforms for video conferencing and such, zoom has truly been the best. I am able to listen in to my classes while I am multitasking and don't even have to type out my responses as there are little emojis I can give back. Also, the handraising option is great for large classes as no one is shouting out or interrupting the class. However, the app do crash a lot or tend to have issues here and there within the system.I believe since it is such a widely used app, there's a lot going on. However, I do believe Zoom should account for that and definitely fix that up so the system can handle it.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Zoom became the most essential platform during the pandemic for online work, school, etc. even for me. The platform was a bit confusing to navigate at first especially when it came to muting and unmuting myself at the right time. The pros of zoom outweigh the bad. However, it's most fatal con was and still is that they let the platform saturate because of how many people use it at once. This is incredibly frustrating due to being logged off calls and not being able to log back in.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I have used Zoom many many times for my university and for other meetings. It is a great way to meet with many people at once and being able to share the screen is a great convenience. I think Zoom has a lot of great options that make video calls simple and enjoyable.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

We are living in a new age. Without the powers of Zoom, our life would have not been able to transition into a healthier alternative. I am very appreciative of Zoom and the way it has shaped life as we know it. I will be continuing to use Zoom in my daily life, as it makes meetings much easier and effective.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Zoom is such an easy tool to use for all ages that even my grandparents can use it. Zoom provides a way for me to stay connected with my family during this pandemic! As well as it helped me do all of my school work and interviews for jobs. Zoom is a reliable system that keeps everyone connected and helped me graduate last year!

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

I use Zoom everyday. For what it is used for it is a really good application. I would say that I wish you did not have to pay for longer meetings, but I still think it is a good app.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

No complaints. Like most people, I had to learn to use Zoom last year but I found it very user friendly and not hard to figure out at all. It meets my needs and I'm comfortable using it!

Carolina camacho

I love zoom! I have several of my classes over zoom, and have had countless meetings over Zoom, and it makes it so easy to connect with others. I rarely ever have issues on Zoom.

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

Zoom is the best thing that happened since the pandemic. This is such a great way to communicate with people with many external tools to interact. My school currently uses zoom and I never have problems with it.

xabriah glenn-young Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has its own technical difficulties, but what application doesn’t. Zoom is a great application when it came to the pandemic shut down and we needed to communicate with classes and glad that was an option over Skype or anything else. Zoom has given video access to people and devices the ability to video chat

Shannon Biassou Tallahassee, FL

since the Coronavirus started, Zoom has been the main source of teaching. Zoom is a very simple application to use and it comes with many different features.

Emily Guareno Tallahassee, FL

It is the best website to do video conferences. You can mute and turn off your camera when needed. Only bad thing is it logs you out of your account and you have to constantly be logging in and out of your account.

Stephanie Nwaobi Tallahassee, FL

When the pandemic hit, this company without a doubt saved a bunch of us in terms of professionally doing what we'd do in person all while staying apart for social distancing purposes.

amari sims Windermere, FL

I use zoom every day for my classes in college and it has never given me any issues. I love that your can minimize the entire tab on zoom for multitasking.

Amber David Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is good for meeting with my online classes and movie nights with my friends. However, some times there are times where we are only allowed 40 minutes of time for conversation. I would like more time.

Mary Gunn Sherpur, 03

Life saving app during the era of covid-19. Me and my company are now fully dependent on zoom for online meeting. There is no glitches and slags at the of conference . Overall time saving and cost minimizing app

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Zoom was my go-to for college once the covid-19 pandemic had hit. It was a pretty simple platform to get the hang of without having too much difficulty. I like how it gives you the option to mute yourself and hide your video, which comes in handy.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We have used Zoom at work to do a lot of our training. We have instructors come in and teach lessons during the pandemic and that works out way better than any PowerPoint could do. The setup process was very easy and connecting was also quick and easy. I like that you can write in comments or questions while taking our classes or you can turn on your mic to talk out loud. Definitely a great way to keep in touch with people face to face and even just voice to group.

Cora Anderson Herriman, UT

This has been great for having a short meeting and even online classes.

Emily D Herriman, UT

Zoom is easy to use and saved us during the pandemic.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is possibly the best web conferencing app I’ve ever use. The application is simple to use in glitches are fixed with ease. I find that zooms are also the most well received web conferencing app. Even calling zoom customer service, I received help quickly and efficiently, with a pleasant customer service representative. The only thing I believe zoom can work to change is how much space the application takes up. My zoom app takes up a plethora of space on my computer and makes it hard to have other apps open at the same time or download new apps because of the space it takes up.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Zoom made their platform available to the world during the pandemic. When my scout troop was no longer able to meet in person last year, we used Zoom. Zoom helped us to stay in touch and helped us keep our human connection alive. Thank you Zoom!

Erin Williams Midvale, UT

Great tool for all sorts of online meetings! It's nice to have a quality option that's free, at least for meetings an hour or less long. The one thing I don't like is how it automatically turns to full screen whenever anyone shares their screen, but that's only a minor annoyance.

Molly Smith Herriman, UT

It works, it gets the job done. I've spent so much time on it that I kind of hate it, but I'm definitely not the only student who feels that way. It's decently easy to navigate most of the time, as long as you're not trying to pull off anything too complicated.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

This is great. I am not great with computers. So when a relative suggested zoom I was uneasy about how to do it. But after some pretty easy instructions I felt comfortable about using it. It is easy to use even for a novice to computers like me. You are able to have talk to multiple people at once. You can mute and if you are having a bad hair day, you can turn the camera off. I have gotten very good at navigating the features. I very much like zoom. I can now initiate zoom meetings!!

Steven Rummler Centerville, UT

Zoom has all of the important features without too much clutter. The call quality is as good as the internet connection allows.

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

With the pandemic, Zoom has made online school super easy. It has also allowed me to stay in contact with friends and family while social distancing.

Brianna Sutherland Tallahassee, FL

Zoom sometimes has very annoying technical difficulties but for the most part it is very convenient. I cannot imagine going through the pandemic without Zoom.

Chalice Daniel Tallahassee, FL

Zoom made doing school in a pandemic very easy and doable. This will forever be what I use when I need to have a meeting.

Cindy R Tallahassee, FL

I like zoom I think it’s pretty easy to maneuver and the reliability of it is useful. I like the feature where the host can text you in the waiting room.

Laila Hayes Tallahassee, FL

Zoom was a reliable method for video Conferencing. My only concern was that it had unexpected closings sometimes and was sometimes difficult to navigate.

Andriana Cesaire Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is not efficient for large amounts of people using cameras as it slows all users down. Zoom screen sharing is also very awkward and not user friendly. However, I do like that I can get a free subscription from my university.

Enormous Scintilla West Jordan, UT

it serves its purpose but it’s very confusing sometimes

r vido Provo, UT

Zoom was a little tricky to learn how to use at first, but over time and using different software for my online classes, I've found that Zoom is really good compared to other companies. It'd be nice if there was a tutorial or something for when you first use it

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Zoom works well, it can't handle a lot of people in one "room" but it's super functional and easy to use, even for my parents when we video call. It's reliable and provides good quality audio and video conferencing, for small groups, like maybe 10=15 at most??