Zoom Logo
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We have used Zoom at work to do a lot of our training. We have instructors come in and teach lessons during the pandemic and that works out way better than any PowerPoint could do. The setup process was very easy and connecting was also quick and easy. I like that you can write in comments or questions while taking our classes or you can turn on your mic to talk out loud. Definitely a great way to keep in touch with people face to face and even just voice to group.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have used Zoom for a number of years but as of late I have struggled with some difficulties running the application on my computer. Despite deleting and re-downloading it I have felt that it has been a bit slower than it used to be. I have never paid for the subscription for unlimited time, but for the free service, I feel like the quality is good enough to get the job done if need be.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been a great addition to our “online learning” journey. I’ve used zoom for school, work and personal/academic organizations. I was able to contact and communicate with individuals through this unforgiving time. Only thing that was hard to deal with, would be the kinks and difficulty of internet connection or the whole company shutting down from time to time.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

This app is the way I have been taking classes during covid. I am super grateful for it and it makes meetings and classes easier. It can be kind of glitchy at times but I don't know if that's just because of bad wifi...?

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

It can be hard to pay attention using zoom but the company did a great job of making it easy to use and understand. It was very useful for online classes and I liked the chat and reaction features.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love how easy it is to share your screen, share videos, and communicate through Zoom, but I don't like the format for organizing a meeting. It can be confusing.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Zoom is great, has really helped me to stay connected with classmates and co workers over the past year. I do wish that there was a feature in the chats to like people's messages or react.

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I like that zoom is easy and convenient use for all it’s users. I believe it is a great web conferencing platform to connect with coworkers, family, or friends.

murfday College Station, TX

We all became instant experts at zoom this past year. There are some features that I am still learning about. I appreciate the noise canceling built in, but that makes it hard to carry conversations sometimes. Only one person can basically talk at time...that may sound good, but you miss out on what others are saying. I appreciate the free option even with limitations. There are reasonable paid options as well.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

A bit of a learning curve, but the available amenities are helpful when conducting a meeting. Favorite layout of the platforms I’ve used.

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

I like how I am able to mute myself and pause my video on zoom. My only complaint is that you need to pay to extend the time on your meetings.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Between meetings and classes I use Zoom almost every day. It is very reliable and very easy to use. I do wish it did have a little bit more flexibility for the participants or even the option for more cohosts. I teach through zoom and sometimes it makes it difficult when only one person can control breakout rooms.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

zoom is a very good way to have online conferences with people. I like that it allows hundreds of people to join and can private message each other. however, the shared screening option is very complicated and could be way better.

Aleena Hafiz ,

Zoom is the backbone of this quarantine. It connects people together, and provides people with many opportunities. Because of zoom, I’m able to feel a sense of normality in these unprecedented times. I love the share screen feature.

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

Zoom has been a lifesaver during the pandemic. It’s pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it. I know some less tech savvy people that struggle to understand it at first. But with direction from others they usually figure it out.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

Having used Zoom practically every day for work and college classes since the beginning of the pandemic, this service has been a lifesaver. For someone like me (who struggles with technology), I found the service easy to use and reliable. The only downside is decreased resolution and a bit of choppiness when there are big group sizes, but that is also influenced by the strength of the internet connection. Overall, I think the features of the service are great!

Amy Barrus Sandy, UT

Most of the time zoom has worked flawlessly, even while we were doing multiple different calls in the house. As a family of 6 children it has been especially helpful during soft closures of school. Zoom has great live chat as well as video chat features. We have used it for school, tutoring sessions, family virtual visits, business, and church-related meetings. It’s a great tool!

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

Great technology for hosting online meetings. Sometimes it can be a little buggy, especially for Mac users.

Bethany Rockville, MD

We switched to Zoom from Skype Business for business meetings. I particularly like the background setting function, which allows your personalized background. The overall experience is satisfactory.

Holly Magnusson Draper, UT

I like how zoom allows anyone to join without having to create an account. Works only as well as your internet connection works. Cool features to place different backgrounds behind you, raise your hand etc.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Love that it allows multiple people on a call. I also find the share screen feature helpful. Not very user friendly though, takes a little practice. Especially if you plan on being the host.

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

If you want to talk to your friends and family, this is one of the best options to use. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is if you don't pay, you only can talk for 40 minutes, unlike other options.

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

I use Zoom every day for conference calls for the at home MTC for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It works super well! We go in to breakout rooms, can share videos, and draw on the whiteboard.

Alexa Cooper Salt Lake City, UT

I like zoom! It’s a little less easy to use than Messenger video chat or a few other platforms and is kinda boxy in the settings, but once you know how to navigate it it’s okay!

Mason Allen Provo, UT

The best option for large, online, group gatherings. Gallery view makes it easy to involve everyone in the discussion. Connectivity issues can be frustrating sometimes, even with fast wifi speeds.

Emily Harrison Pleasant Grove, UT

I have recently been using zoom on a weekly basis and it was a little bit confusing at first but once I got the hang of it I realized how simple it was. They audio is usually good and it's very easy to turn the camera and audio on and off

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Zoom has become a huge part of my daily life, especially during COVID-19 and the limitation of group meet ups. Whether it be meeting with my friends or watching a lecture of my professor, Zoom has been my go to platform. Quick easy access to any person you want to speak with, at the press of a button.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

Zoom has become the biggest tool that I use for work purposes. I teach college classes and work with different groups across the United States. Zoom works great for teaching and collaboration. Their technology is consistent and simple to use. The software works well for both webinars and small group meetings.

Kent Logan, UT

I use Zoom meetings free version for keeping in touch with people in my church congregation. It almost always works smoothly, but I wish all the same functionality available through the app was also available when joining a meeting through a browser.

Quinn Odom Tulsa, OK

I have been using Zoom very frequently because I am a college student and the Corona Virus has shut down most in-person classes. I have not had many connection issues and the platform has been very reliably. Occasionally, Zoom will have a nation-wide outage that is inconvenient but understandable because most college campuses are using it.

Chandra Smith Bountiful, UT

Zoom has been such a great way to connect with others. I have used Zoom for school, church and social meetings. Zoom is such a great service to be able to meet virtually, especially during the pandemic. Zoom is user friendly and easy to get started.

Alissa Flammer Smithfield, UT

Zoom is great way to connect with people online especially during COVID-19. It is easy to talk with others and when we have meetings with people it is really simple and smart. I use this to talk with family members that live kind of far away and it works nicely.

Tayli Vollmer Smithfield, UT

Zoom is a very useful and user-friendly conferencing tool. It was especially useful during the COVID-19 times when we still needed to have team meetings. It was so useful, in fact, that we have permanently switched some of our meetings to online.

Rachel Logan, UT

I have only started using zoom recently and I love how easy it is to learn. It is very conducive to online meetings and group discussion, whereas other video chats don’t allow you that same participation. Love that there are free options as well!

Jaicee Roden Smithfield, UT

We used Zoom for team meetings during the quarantine of COVID-19. It was user friendly and easy to navigate for first time users. It was extremely helpful to be able to have multiple people in the same conversation without needing to be in person. We have even rearranged some of our meeting times to online through ZOOM permanently.

Bergen Billings Smithfield, UT

I can’t see everyone on the zoom at once but it does allow as many people as you could want. It takes a minute to get the ropes but it is a great way to stay connected.

Rose Nuffer Orem, UT

It's a good video call option. I've never had any problems with it, but it's a disappointment that you have to pay to have meetings longer than 40 minutes.

G Burt ,

As a free video-conferencing tool it does what it is supposed to, but I feel that it is behind other competitors in terms of features and intuitiveness.

Maverick Denhalter Salt Lake City, UT

Zoom is not my top choice, but probably second or third when it comes to group video sessions,. The one thing I do like is that most people don’t get too overly confused at how to join the meeting.

Allen Lambert Fayetteville, AR

All of my classes now use Zoom and I have become very accustom to this platform. Everything is easy to use and navigate from both sides of meetings and it has become very useful for me recently.

perscilla Tallahassee, FL

I enjoy Zoom because its coinvent and I am able to have more than 50 people online at once. I dislike how sometimes I have a time limit on the rooms so I am able to get the full experience from the app.

noemie causse Provo, UT

It was very useful during the pandemic. It is very user friendly.

Anya Lee Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has made online schooling helpful and has many features to enhance each meeting, such as polling, breakout rooms, and reactions.

Tammy West Valley City, UT

Zoom makes online meetings easy and is a great way to connect with others. I wish there wasn’t a time limit to the meeting though.

Alexis Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

Wen very convenient especially with the pandemic and what not. There are a few bugs that can be annoying but mostly it's reliable and easy to use.

Nate Ashby Provo, UT

I like using Zoom. It's a great way to do classes online and meetings. I do sometimes wish you could put the pictures in different places on the screen.

Tony Riverton, UT

With Covid, our whole family has gotten a lot of use with Zoom. Great platform and way to meet. Sometimes the video quality is less than optimal but otherwise an amazing service.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

ZOOM has truly saved our life during the pandemic! Not only have we needed it for work, but also for my children's school work. Aside from a few small technical issues, it has been very easy to use for all of us!

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Pandemic savior for our office and meetings. Product works well for larger groups without bogging down internet connectivity when a lot of users are online. We plan on using more once the pandemic is over in order to keep travel costs down. Keep up the good work.

Natalie Min Potomac, MD

easy to use and helpful for meeting with people for school and work