Zoom Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Mary Gunn Sherpur, 03

Life saving app during the era of covid-19. Me and my company are now fully dependent on zoom for online meeting. There is no glitches and slags at the of conference . Overall time saving and cost minimizing app

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

I have used Zoom for communicating with family far away. It was so nice during COVID to have family participate in the life events of my children when they couldn’t be there physically.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

I used zoom for about a year and a half of my college classes. Zoom has great features that provide opportunities to talk in smaller groups, get the attention of the teacher without interrupting, and easily join meetings.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Zoom made their platform available to the world during the pandemic. When my scout troop was no longer able to meet in person last year, we used Zoom. Zoom helped us to stay in touch and helped us keep our human connection alive. Thank you Zoom!

Erin Williams Midvale, UT

Great tool for all sorts of online meetings! It's nice to have a quality option that's free, at least for meetings an hour or less long. The one thing I don't like is how it automatically turns to full screen whenever anyone shares their screen, but that's only a minor annoyance.

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Zoom was my go-to for college once the covid-19 pandemic had hit. It was a pretty simple platform to get the hang of without having too much difficulty. I like how it gives you the option to mute yourself and hide your video, which comes in handy.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

COVID has mad my job very difficult over the past year. Although, not being able to hold in person meetings and conferences has been the least of our issues because of zoom. It is easy to set up and has fair good audio. It has made COVID easier to get through.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

This is great. I am not great with computers. So when a relative suggested zoom I was uneasy about how to do it. But after some pretty easy instructions I felt comfortable about using it. It is easy to use even for a novice to computers like me. You are able to have talk to multiple people at once. You can mute and if you are having a bad hair day, you can turn the camera off. I have gotten very good at navigating the features. I very much like zoom. I can now initiate zoom meetings!!

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has made it easier for people to stay in contact in a safe way. I use zoom for a lot of my classes and it’s very easy to use

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

Zoom has worked great for me. I used it everyday during my last year of college when classes moved online. It worked great and was easy to operate. The audio was clear and not difficult to manage.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

During the past few weeks I have been teaching English to children in Thailand. For a period of time, due to COVID-19, we had to move classes online. The transition was actually way easier than I thought it would be because the layout of the site was very easy to navigate.

Dave Spokane, WA

Like most people, I presume, I had never heard of Zoom before 2020. But it has been the go-to video-conference product for home, church, and school for over a year now. The phone and tablet apps are great as well as the PC version. It's easy to set up your own meetings or join meetings set up by others.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

My children utilize Zoom for all of their class conferences. It’s great that they get to see their classmates while listening to the teacher. All instructions are on the primary screen and they can ask questions through the chat option.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

I thought that it was absolutely wonderful when the company extended free time during covid during holidays si that families could connect. To me this is excellent customer service. The zoom meeting product itself offers clear communication and easy to use.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Zoom website helped me book conferences with my kid's teachers and I love how the website gives you a reminder when your having your next meeting. I usually forget what I am supposed to do if I don't have reminders and this feature really helps.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Easy to use and very convenient. Was first used during the pandemic and have been using it since.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

This year with corona I have used zoom for everything. Zoom has made it so easy to call in for class, church lessons/activities, and school. It makes it so easy to join a class and I love that it gives you the option to turn your camera off and mute yourself so you don't have to worry about distractions. It is super easy on any computer or mobile device.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Zoom made my life a whole lot more enjoyable and happy during the pandemic. I actually still use Zoom quite a bit and I’m super grateful for it. Especially love that I get to watch my church meetings on it. I like how I can toggle between screens or just have it pinned to one person. Its interface on my phone is very easy to navigate too. Thanks Zoom!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

I use zoom every day for work. This has been the best way to communicate with co-workers who live afar. I like the features that allow you to change your background or add a filter to your face. Especially with working from home you want to look your best because you are still at work, but be comfortable throughout the day and zoom allows you to look professional, even if you aren't.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Zoom has been a lifesaver this past year and I don't think we'll ever stop using it. It has allowed us to connect as family across the country, made it possible to still meet in church groups, and more. They created a program where it is easy to create a meeting and invite others, while still keeping privacy and safety a priority. I also really appreciate that they kept a free option and feel the 40 minute time limit is very generous.

Raven Royal Sandy, UT

Zoom is by far the easiest way to communicate with many people. During covid it had its spike and it helped us all!

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

Wow, Zoom has really been a lifesaver these past months. I've used it in business and for personal things. I've never had any connectivity issues at all.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

Zoom was very helpful my last semester of high school because that's when school was purely online for me. Zoom was easy to use and I love that you could see everyone in your class.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I had to download zoom for college this past year because of COVID. All of my classes were online and that was the only option I had. Zoom is very easy to operate and the sound is actually very good.

hminfo Olney, MD

Zoom is my favorite web conferencing service. I like that you can transfer the meeting to another person if you have to leave, and I like that there are security features in place.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I use Zoom every single day for hours a day for school. I love how they temporarily lifted the 45 minute zoom limit for schools working through the pandemic. Definitely use zoom!

Brielle Wright Logan, UT

Zoom has a very simple design so it is easy to navigate and use. It has settings so you can plan for a set meeting before hand and has a set password you create to let people in. You create a meeting then send out your link and your good!

Conrad Ma American Fork, UT

Zoom has been great for me personally. I’ve used it for meetings in so many of my college courses and other activities. It has always been reliable. Definitely consider the paid version if you need meetings that run longer than an hour. It is worth the money.

Wilkshake Lehi, UT

Like so many others, COVID restrictions have caused me to become a zoom user. I have not personally paid to use this service for personal meetings, but I would certainly consider using it if the situation arose. My experience has been one of ease, which is important for an older generation.

Gary Woo American Fork, UT

I use zoom for online college classes and it makes meetings easy. The professor is able to split up students into breakout rooms and then bring us back to the main meeting. Also the students are able to share screens and show everyone else what we see. Zoom is great!

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

A great tool for now and can't imagine not being able to use it. We use it a lot to stay in touch with family and friends. We like that when everyone is not able to join we can record the calls and email them out when its over.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Zoom has saved us during the pandemic! Seeing family, work calls, and especially providing service for our autistic daughter. The services (Early intervention) are typically in person but when the shut down happened we were so grateful to have Zoom with her therapists to keep her progress going. The ability to have so many people on at one time has been such a great way to stay connected. Love ho easy it is to be a host and send out the link to everyone, very user friendly! Zoom truly is amazing!

Raquel San Jose, CA

I use Zoom for the occasional work call and for majority of my virtual health visits. It is easy to connect and I like that over 100 people can be on the same call, all on video with zero drops. Majority of the time my company uses Webex but for large calls, we can rely on Zoom to ensure everyone can connect and not be dropped or have lags. Thank you for being reliable

CJ Milke Olney, MD

I use zoom for hours and hours a day for school. Zoom is the only conferencing service that does not glitch all the time and allows large numbers of people for large classes.

Brooklyn Bishop Los Angeles, CA

Zoom has been very helpful to me during COVID-19. We are able to communicate face-to-face while still being able to stay home and stay safe. It’s very easy to navigate. I would definitely recommend!

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Where would we be without Zoom? Thankfully my work allows us to use this as a platform. It is my preferred platform for both work and personal use. Zoom's multiple features make facilitating meetings easy.

Liza Wilson ,

Zoom has great video quality compared to others. I love the features it offers like sharing screen and recording and various chat features. I use it for work, school, and personal!

Van M. Orem, UT

I have used zoom a lot in the last year for meetings and communicating with family. It has worked well overall and I like that you can easily mute yourself and turn video on and off.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Have been using Zoom every day for work and personal meetings for more than 9 months now. This is a great product and is so well designed. In a pandemic, Zoom has been a real blessing!

Brooke Snyder Troutville, VA

Love being able to sit at home but hate having class on snow days

Marniwho ,

Oh what can I say about Zoom, I never met you before 2020 but wow, you are the world to us now! Between online school and being able to "attend" family gatherings safely. It was easy to figure out for someone who wasn't computer savvy. Now, I'm calling my own family meeting across the country with ease. Thank you!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Zoom has improved so much in the last year as they have exploded during the Covid pandemic. My first experience with scheduling and holding a Zoom meeting was for a school graduation during the pandemic. It turned out great! We have also been using it for our Church services and has been so good. Business and personal Zoom has been great!

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

I prefer Zoom over its competators because I rarely have problems with it, its easy to get straight into a meeting and its free. The host in meeting has the option to mute anyone at anytime which is nice for school if someone is trying to be a distraction and they give you the option to have a virtual background which is cool too.

Brooke Martin Fayetteville, AR

I use zoom multiple times a week for different meetings. I have never had a problem trying to join a meeting and it is very easy to create your own meeting. My University used it during sorority recruitment and it was very reliable and worked well with the large amount of people using it at once.

Crystal Logan, UT

I used zoom before covid hit to be part of a support group. We came from all over and it was a great way to meet. It has become so necessary with covid and I can't imagine life without it. I appreciate the free options. It makes physical distancing no longer social distancing.

Mackenize Jorgensen Los Angeles, CA

I used Zoom over the course of the Covid-19 pandemic. I used it to connect to my teachers. So that I could get answers to my questions. It was super easy to use and understand who was talking. It was great that you could choose if you wanted to see the whole group or just the speaker.

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

Zoom has been my go to meeting platform for the past 2 years. It is very easy to connect with clients, friends and family. I appreciate the privacy in the meetings, how it integrates with my computer to do a variety of screen sharing and the ability to do break off rooms. The options are incredible!

Ryan Harpenau Fayetteville, AR

I have used zoom a lot recently in school and in interviews and it is very easy to use. I have also set up meetings myself and the platform makes it very easy to do so. They also have different viewing set ups so I can change the layout depending on the type of meeting I am in. The recording option is also great and easy to use.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is the perfect learning and meeting tool. Especially in the midst of this pandemic, Zoom has been here to save and create meaningful connections and relationships. Zoom is reliable and easily accessible for everyone. I love it.

Mary Hardy Annapolis, MD

Being a school teacher, Zoom is the best platform for both teachers and students. Way easier to navigate than others that our county has used.