Zoom Logo
LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is possibly the best web conferencing app I’ve ever use. The application is simple to use in glitches are fixed with ease. I find that zooms are also the most well received web conferencing app. Even calling zoom customer service, I received help quickly and efficiently, with a pleasant customer service representative. The only thing I believe zoom can work to change is how much space the application takes up. My zoom app takes up a plethora of space on my computer and makes it hard to have other apps open at the same time or download new apps because of the space it takes up.

Mary Gunn Sherpur, 03

Life saving app during the era of covid-19. Me and my company are now fully dependent on zoom for online meeting. There is no glitches and slags at the of conference . Overall time saving and cost minimizing app

r vido Provo, UT

Zoom was a little tricky to learn how to use at first, but over time and using different software for my online classes, I've found that Zoom is really good compared to other companies. It'd be nice if there was a tutorial or something for when you first use it

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

Zoom works well, it can't handle a lot of people in one "room" but it's super functional and easy to use, even for my parents when we video call. It's reliable and provides good quality audio and video conferencing, for small groups, like maybe 10=15 at most??

Kelly Stanley Herriman, UT

I have used Zoom for communicating with family far away. It was so nice during COVID to have family participate in the life events of my children when they couldn’t be there physically.

Brooklyn Jensen Provo, UT

I used zoom for about a year and a half of my college classes. Zoom has great features that provide opportunities to talk in smaller groups, get the attention of the teacher without interrupting, and easily join meetings.

Michelle Bray Pleasant Grove, UT

Zoom made their platform available to the world during the pandemic. When my scout troop was no longer able to meet in person last year, we used Zoom. Zoom helped us to stay in touch and helped us keep our human connection alive. Thank you Zoom!

Erin Williams Midvale, UT

Great tool for all sorts of online meetings! It's nice to have a quality option that's free, at least for meetings an hour or less long. The one thing I don't like is how it automatically turns to full screen whenever anyone shares their screen, but that's only a minor annoyance.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Zoom is a great way to communicate with others. Especially with covid, zoom has been amazing. It is great for school, work, or even just chatting with friends. It is free and easy to use!

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

When the pandemic started and everyone was switching to Zoom, it wasn't very polished. Over the months, they've made drastic improvements but there are still some issues present. I wish there was a way to lower quality settings so you can still watch the video conference and still have that face-to-face interaction, even a slow internet speeds.

abw fsu Tallahassee, FL

Zoom is probably one of the easiest video conferencing databases to use. Everything is right in front of you and you're able to alter your video/audio to your liking. It's easy for all ages and all tech backgrounds to use. My biggest concern with Zoom is the lack of security. Tech security researchers have found several major vulnerabilities in Zoom's software, including that it can be used to steal Windows passwords. As easy as Zoom is to use, I am not sure that I am willing to risk my information potentially being tapped into.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I think that Zoom has worked really well for me. Especially during the pandemic, it has helped the world out so much. I have used it for work meetings, school lectures, interviews, and more. I just wish it was a little bit easier to use

Nyla C. Edison, NJ

Zoom was my go-to for college once the covid-19 pandemic had hit. It was a pretty simple platform to get the hang of without having too much difficulty. I like how it gives you the option to mute yourself and hide your video, which comes in handy.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We have used Zoom at work to do a lot of our training. We have instructors come in and teach lessons during the pandemic and that works out way better than any PowerPoint could do. The setup process was very easy and connecting was also quick and easy. I like that you can write in comments or questions while taking our classes or you can turn on your mic to talk out loud. Definitely a great way to keep in touch with people face to face and even just voice to group.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

COVID has mad my job very difficult over the past year. Although, not being able to hold in person meetings and conferences has been the least of our issues because of zoom. It is easy to set up and has fair good audio. It has made COVID easier to get through.

Pauline Causse Draper, UT

I have used many video conferencing platforms over the last year, but I feel like zoom offers the most features. It's easy to record a meeting, share your screen, break up the meeting into different rooms, chat,... It's also easy to use and easy to set up

soporia moment Tallahassee, FL

I use Zoom for school and Zoom be having it’s days. Meaning it’ll work one day then not work the next. The days it doesn’t want to work be the important days we need to speak to teachers.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has made it easier for people to stay in contact in a safe way. I use zoom for a lot of my classes and it’s very easy to use

Kori Travis FL

Zoom is very efficient for having big class meetings during times like the COVID-19 pandemic. There are times where there are issues such as mic not working or audio issues but overall it is good for conferencing

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

Zoom is a good platform but has some leaks. The safety features of not having others join your call when they are private can happen. Also having your call interrupted or dropped has happened for me a lot. Zoom did allow for learning to continue during the pandemic.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

As everyone, we've used Zoom a lot this past year. Interestingly though we had not used them until the lockdowns. We have used several other screen shares. We like the ability to put in a custom background on your picture.

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

Zoom has worked great for me. I used it everyday during my last year of college when classes moved online. It worked great and was easy to operate. The audio was clear and not difficult to manage.

Anne Sainsbury Orem, UT

I have used Zoom for a number of years but as of late I have struggled with some difficulties running the application on my computer. Despite deleting and re-downloading it I have felt that it has been a bit slower than it used to be. I have never paid for the subscription for unlimited time, but for the free service, I feel like the quality is good enough to get the job done if need be.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

During the past few weeks I have been teaching English to children in Thailand. For a period of time, due to COVID-19, we had to move classes online. The transition was actually way easier than I thought it would be because the layout of the site was very easy to navigate.

Dave Spokane, WA

Like most people, I presume, I had never heard of Zoom before 2020. But it has been the go-to video-conference product for home, church, and school for over a year now. The phone and tablet apps are great as well as the PC version. It's easy to set up your own meetings or join meetings set up by others.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been a great addition to our “online learning” journey. I’ve used zoom for school, work and personal/academic organizations. I was able to contact and communicate with individuals through this unforgiving time. Only thing that was hard to deal with, would be the kinks and difficulty of internet connection or the whole company shutting down from time to time.

David Stickles West Jordan, UT

Easy to use and very convenient. Was first used during the pandemic and have been using it since.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

This is great. I am not great with computers. So when a relative suggested zoom I was uneasy about how to do it. But after some pretty easy instructions I felt comfortable about using it. It is easy to use even for a novice to computers like me. You are able to have talk to multiple people at once. You can mute and if you are having a bad hair day, you can turn the camera off. I have gotten very good at navigating the features. I very much like zoom. I can now initiate zoom meetings!!

Becca Amiot Salem, VA

Great wait to do virtual calls especially with larger groups of people. I've used in for classes and meetings and even virtual concerts.

Raven Royal Sandy, UT

Zoom is by far the easiest way to communicate with many people. During covid it had its spike and it helped us all!

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

Wow, Zoom has really been a lifesaver these past months. I've used it in business and for personal things. I've never had any connectivity issues at all.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

This app is the way I have been taking classes during covid. I am super grateful for it and it makes meetings and classes easier. It can be kind of glitchy at times but I don't know if that's just because of bad wifi...?

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I had to download zoom for college this past year because of COVID. All of my classes were online and that was the only option I had. Zoom is very easy to operate and the sound is actually very good.

Kibsaim Rebollar Austin, TX

Not secure. Crashes at times. Not very interactive like other services from other companies.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

My children utilize Zoom for all of their class conferences. It’s great that they get to see their classmates while listening to the teacher. All instructions are on the primary screen and they can ask questions through the chat option.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

I thought that it was absolutely wonderful when the company extended free time during covid during holidays si that families could connect. To me this is excellent customer service. The zoom meeting product itself offers clear communication and easy to use.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Zoom website helped me book conferences with my kid's teachers and I love how the website gives you a reminder when your having your next meeting. I usually forget what I am supposed to do if I don't have reminders and this feature really helps.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Zoom has many cool features and different meeting rooms which is very cool and convenient for groups

Morgan Tennant Idaho Falls, ID

Zoom is an easy and reliable way to communicate when meeting in person isn’t an option. It’s very simple to operate!

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

This year with corona I have used zoom for everything. Zoom has made it so easy to call in for class, church lessons/activities, and school. It makes it so easy to join a class and I love that it gives you the option to turn your camera off and mute yourself so you don't have to worry about distractions. It is super easy on any computer or mobile device.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Zoom made my life a whole lot more enjoyable and happy during the pandemic. I actually still use Zoom quite a bit and I’m super grateful for it. Especially love that I get to watch my church meetings on it. I like how I can toggle between screens or just have it pinned to one person. Its interface on my phone is very easy to navigate too. Thanks Zoom!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

I use zoom every day for work. This has been the best way to communicate with co-workers who live afar. I like the features that allow you to change your background or add a filter to your face. Especially with working from home you want to look your best because you are still at work, but be comfortable throughout the day and zoom allows you to look professional, even if you aren't.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Zoom has been a lifesaver this past year and I don't think we'll ever stop using it. It has allowed us to connect as family across the country, made it possible to still meet in church groups, and more. They created a program where it is easy to create a meeting and invite others, while still keeping privacy and safety a priority. I also really appreciate that they kept a free option and feel the 40 minute time limit is very generous.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Zoom has saved us during the pandemic! Seeing family, work calls, and especially providing service for our autistic daughter. The services (Early intervention) are typically in person but when the shut down happened we were so grateful to have Zoom with her therapists to keep her progress going. The ability to have so many people on at one time has been such a great way to stay connected. Love ho easy it is to be a host and send out the link to everyone, very user friendly! Zoom truly is amazing!

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love how easy it is to share your screen, share videos, and communicate through Zoom, but I don't like the format for organizing a meeting. It can be confusing.

Darci Vasquez Spokane, WA

It can be hard to pay attention using zoom but the company did a great job of making it easy to use and understand. It was very useful for online classes and I liked the chat and reaction features.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Zoom is great, has really helped me to stay connected with classmates and co workers over the past year. I do wish that there was a feature in the chats to like people's messages or react.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

Zoom has been very helpful during the Covid-19 pandemic but no matter how good my Wifi connection is, there also seems to be poor image and sound quality. Also, when watching webinars, the very bottom of the screen is often cut off by the toolbar which makes it difficult when viewing a powerpoint.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

Zoom was very helpful my last semester of high school because that's when school was purely online for me. Zoom was easy to use and I love that you could see everyone in your class.

hminfo Olney, MD

Zoom is my favorite web conferencing service. I like that you can transfer the meeting to another person if you have to leave, and I like that there are security features in place.