Zoom Logo
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

We have used Zoom at work to do a lot of our training. We have instructors come in and teach lessons during the pandemic and that works out way better than any PowerPoint could do. The setup process was very easy and connecting was also quick and easy. I like that you can write in comments or questions while taking our classes or you can turn on your mic to talk out loud. Definitely a great way to keep in touch with people face to face and even just voice to group.

1 day ago

Dave Spokane, WA

Like most people, I presume, I had never heard of Zoom before 2020. But it has been the go-to video-conference product for home, church, and school for over a year now. The phone and tablet apps are great as well as the PC version. It's easy to set up your own meetings or join meetings set up by others.

1 day ago

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

Wow, Zoom has really been a lifesaver these past months. I've used it in business and for personal things. I've never had any connectivity issues at all.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

Zoom is great, has really helped me to stay connected with classmates and co workers over the past year. I do wish that there was a feature in the chats to like people's messages or react.

18 hours ago

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

My children utilize Zoom for all of their class conferences. It’s great that they get to see their classmates while listening to the teacher. All instructions are on the primary screen and they can ask questions through the chat option.

Lisa C Johnson Washington, DC

This is great. I am not great with computers. So when a relative suggested zoom I was uneasy about how to do it. But after some pretty easy instructions I felt comfortable about using it. It is easy to use even for a novice to computers like me. You are able to have talk to multiple people at once. You can mute and if you are having a bad hair day, you can turn the camera off. I have gotten very good at navigating the features. I very much like zoom. I can now initiate zoom meetings!!

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

I like that zoom is easy and convenient use for all it’s users. I believe it is a great web conferencing platform to connect with coworkers, family, or friends.

hminfo Olney, MD

Zoom is my favorite web conferencing service. I like that you can transfer the meeting to another person if you have to leave, and I like that there are security features in place.

Msdaisy70 Clarksburg, MD

I thought that it was absolutely wonderful when the company extended free time during covid during holidays si that families could connect. To me this is excellent customer service. The zoom meeting product itself offers clear communication and easy to use.

Christina Lockett Frederick, MD

Zoom website helped me book conferences with my kid's teachers and I love how the website gives you a reminder when your having your next meeting. I usually forget what I am supposed to do if I don't have reminders and this feature really helps.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I use Zoom every single day for hours a day for school. I love how they temporarily lifted the 45 minute zoom limit for schools working through the pandemic. Definitely use zoom!

Brycen Blater Provo, UT

Great technology for hosting online meetings. Sometimes it can be a little buggy, especially for Mac users.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

This year with corona I have used zoom for everything. Zoom has made it so easy to call in for class, church lessons/activities, and school. It makes it so easy to join a class and I love that it gives you the option to turn your camera off and mute yourself so you don't have to worry about distractions. It is super easy on any computer or mobile device.

Paige Ellis Slade Gilbert, AZ

Zoom made my life a whole lot more enjoyable and happy during the pandemic. I actually still use Zoom quite a bit and I’m super grateful for it. Especially love that I get to watch my church meetings on it. I like how I can toggle between screens or just have it pinned to one person. Its interface on my phone is very easy to navigate too. Thanks Zoom!

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

I use zoom every day for work. This has been the best way to communicate with co-workers who live afar. I like the features that allow you to change your background or add a filter to your face. Especially with working from home you want to look your best because you are still at work, but be comfortable throughout the day and zoom allows you to look professional, even if you aren't.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Zoom has been a lifesaver this past year and I don't think we'll ever stop using it. It has allowed us to connect as family across the country, made it possible to still meet in church groups, and more. They created a program where it is easy to create a meeting and invite others, while still keeping privacy and safety a priority. I also really appreciate that they kept a free option and feel the 40 minute time limit is very generous.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Zoom has saved us during the pandemic! Seeing family, work calls, and especially providing service for our autistic daughter. The services (Early intervention) are typically in person but when the shut down happened we were so grateful to have Zoom with her therapists to keep her progress going. The ability to have so many people on at one time has been such a great way to stay connected. Love ho easy it is to be a host and send out the link to everyone, very user friendly! Zoom truly is amazing!

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

Zoom is fairly simple to use , but I am not a fan of some of the features. What I dislike most is the time limit on meetings-if they were extended to at least an hour, I would like Indeed a whole lot moe.

Mary Hardy Annapolis, MD

Being a school teacher, Zoom is the best platform for both teachers and students. Way easier to navigate than others that our county has used.

Sicely Lyn Russell Mesa, AZ

Zoom was very helpful my last semester of high school because that's when school was purely online for me. Zoom was easy to use and I love that you could see everyone in your class.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

Where would we be without Zoom? Thankfully my work allows us to use this as a platform. It is my preferred platform for both work and personal use. Zoom's multiple features make facilitating meetings easy.

Brielle Wright Logan, UT

Zoom has a very simple design so it is easy to navigate and use. It has settings so you can plan for a set meeting before hand and has a set password you create to let people in. You create a meeting then send out your link and your good!

noemie causse Provo, UT

It was very useful during the pandemic. It is very user friendly.

Conrad Ma American Fork, UT

Zoom has been great for me personally. I’ve used it for meetings in so many of my college courses and other activities. It has always been reliable. Definitely consider the paid version if you need meetings that run longer than an hour. It is worth the money.

Wilkshake Lehi, UT

Like so many others, COVID restrictions have caused me to become a zoom user. I have not personally paid to use this service for personal meetings, but I would certainly consider using it if the situation arose. My experience has been one of ease, which is important for an older generation.

Gary Woo American Fork, UT

I use zoom for online college classes and it makes meetings easy. The professor is able to split up students into breakout rooms and then bring us back to the main meeting. Also the students are able to share screens and show everyone else what we see. Zoom is great!

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

A great tool for now and can't imagine not being able to use it. We use it a lot to stay in touch with family and friends. We like that when everyone is not able to join we can record the calls and email them out when its over.

Marniwho ,

Oh what can I say about Zoom, I never met you before 2020 but wow, you are the world to us now! Between online school and being able to "attend" family gatherings safely. It was easy to figure out for someone who wasn't computer savvy. Now, I'm calling my own family meeting across the country with ease. Thank you!

murfday College Station, TX

We all became instant experts at zoom this past year. There are some features that I am still learning about. I appreciate the noise canceling built in, but that makes it hard to carry conversations sometimes. Only one person can basically talk at time...that may sound good, but you miss out on what others are saying. I appreciate the free option even with limitations. There are reasonable paid options as well.

Emily H West Wendover, NV

Having used Zoom practically every day for work and college classes since the beginning of the pandemic, this service has been a lifesaver. For someone like me (who struggles with technology), I found the service easy to use and reliable. The only downside is decreased resolution and a bit of choppiness when there are big group sizes, but that is also influenced by the strength of the internet connection. Overall, I think the features of the service are great!

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

Zoom has improved so much in the last year as they have exploded during the Covid pandemic. My first experience with scheduling and holding a Zoom meeting was for a school graduation during the pandemic. It turned out great! We have also been using it for our Church services and has been so good. Business and personal Zoom has been great!

Raquel San Jose, CA

I use Zoom for the occasional work call and for majority of my virtual health visits. It is easy to connect and I like that over 100 people can be on the same call, all on video with zero drops. Majority of the time my company uses Webex but for large calls, we can rely on Zoom to ensure everyone can connect and not be dropped or have lags. Thank you for being reliable

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

Zoom makes it easy to host and participate in web broadcasts. Highly recommend during this pandemic

Amy Gardiner Germantown, MD

I am amazed how zoom has evolved during the pandemic. I use it every day to teach and for my private business. I love how the sound quality has improved as a music teacher

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I have used Zoom as guest for meetings, music lessons, and virtual music recitals. It works well, especially when you are not able to physically attend an event.

Kara Washington, DC

What more is there to say... In the global pandemic and all the implications of online school, Zoom has been a reliable resource to further my education while remaining safe.

Bethany Rockville, MD

We switched to Zoom from Skype Business for business meetings. I particularly like the background setting function, which allows your personalized background. The overall experience is satisfactory.

Brooklyn Bishop Los Angeles, CA

Zoom has been very helpful to me during COVID-19. We are able to communicate face-to-face while still being able to stay home and stay safe. It’s very easy to navigate. I would definitely recommend!

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

Between meetings and classes I use Zoom almost every day. It is very reliable and very easy to use. I do wish it did have a little bit more flexibility for the participants or even the option for more cohosts. I teach through zoom and sometimes it makes it difficult when only one person can control breakout rooms.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

zoom is a very good way to have online conferences with people. I like that it allows hundreds of people to join and can private message each other. however, the shared screening option is very complicated and could be way better.

Aleena Hafiz ,

Zoom is the backbone of this quarantine. It connects people together, and provides people with many opportunities. Because of zoom, I’m able to feel a sense of normality in these unprecedented times. I love the share screen feature.

Liza Wilson ,

Zoom has great video quality compared to others. I love the features it offers like sharing screen and recording and various chat features. I use it for work, school, and personal!

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

connectivity is always solid on Zoom, I get good video and audio connections, once connected, however, I do find that, as an infrequent user, that the controls have a learning curve. I struggle at times to get my mic connected, with an external monitor, and a bluetooth speaker. so when I connect to a meeting, I scramble to get the audio to work so I can hear, and others can hear me. In all, a very robust tool, especially in COVID, that has provided great impact to our business.

Van M. Orem, UT

I have used zoom a lot in the last year for meetings and communicating with family. It has worked well overall and I like that you can easily mute yourself and turn video on and off.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

Have been using Zoom every day for work and personal meetings for more than 9 months now. This is a great product and is so well designed. In a pandemic, Zoom has been a real blessing!

Valerie Beus Richland, WA

Zoom has been a lifesaver during the pandemic. It’s pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it. I know some less tech savvy people that struggle to understand it at first. But with direction from others they usually figure it out.

Karli American Fork, UT

Zoom is a great resource for meeting with people virtually! It is very user friendly and easy to navigate. I love the screen layout options and the chat feature. Glad to have this resource amidst the pandemic.

Jacob Curtis Guyton, GA

I've effectively used zoom for various meeting and have had a positive experience overall. Good accessibility and I love the free meeting extensions since I don't pay for an account!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

Zoom has been so useful during Covid and even kids can successfully use the interface! I have been impressed by how simple it is to start a meeting, and to mute and still be involved.

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

I prefer Zoom over its competators because I rarely have problems with it, its easy to get straight into a meeting and its free. The host in meeting has the option to mute anyone at anytime which is nice for school if someone is trying to be a distraction and they give you the option to have a virtual background which is cool too.