Zoom Logo
LAST UPDATED: January 25th, 2022
Zoom likes to call themselves the “cloud meeting company.” They make a product that combines video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one straightforward platform. Their solution offers high-quality video, audio, and screen sharing. They offer rich experiences across Zoom Rooms, Windows, Mac, Mobile, and certain room systems. The company was founded in 2010. A team of big influencers from Cisco and WebEx walked away from their companies and decided to make something better. The company’s senior team has over a decade of experience making real-time collaboration software. They’ve done a good job in delivering the company’s core deliverable--building a people-centric cloud service that is fast, simple, and easy to use.

The Good

• Functionality
  • Cross-platform compatibility
  • Meetings
  • Screen entrant tools
  • Monthly service
Zoom's creators have made it one of the best web conferencing platforms in the industry. Its video conferencing functionality includes a lot of neat features that put it above the competition. It includes HD video and HD voice, dynamic voice detection to help determine who is speaking, a full screen view of the person speaking and a gallery room of everyone who is in the meeting. There is really only one video stream, but it is expandable to two video streams when you use a second monitor. There is also a "view-only" attendee feature, where users can beam in, but not actually participate in the meeting. There is also a way to join a video conference by dialing in, but this doesn't let the attendee use video with that method. The cross-platform compatibility of Zoom across MAC, Windows, iOS, and Android makes it a powerful collaboration tool. You can easily message people within your group. You can also screen share documents, photos, and other rich media in a chat. The iPhone/iPad option is equipped with a screen share with iOS mirror. Annotation and co-annotation can make this a neat tool to sue in collaboration. White boarding is also available. It is easy to get into meetings without too much difficulty on Zoom. In addition to the desktop and application sharing, each personal meeting gets a meeting ID and URL name. You can make an instant meeting. You can also schedule a meeting on your calendar. There are Google Chrome and Outlook plugins to get you set up for meetings. You can also record with simple mp4 or m4a formats, archiving your meetings for later. The screen entrant tools are simple, yet functional. What we really liked about this platform was the host controls, to control who is doing what in the meeting, as well as the hand raising tool that lets users signal that they are ready to speak. What else did we like about the service? We liked the fact that this was a monthly service. Many companies that sell web conferencing SaaS tend to advertise the monthly price and then add you to a 12-month contract "under the radar." We liked that Zoom was upfront about their prices and did NOT charge you to a year-long commitment.

The Bad

• System confusion
  • Fees and subscriptions
  • App integrations
  • Customizable URL
We weren't really sure quite how the system worked. What is the difference between a host and a user? Does that mean that hosts are people that start meetings and participants are the ones to attend them? With the Business Plan, you can only have a maximum of ten hosts, but 100 people can participate in your conference. This, to us, seems a little bit on the "low end" for the number of people. We had some concerns about the branding for the free and pro subscriptions. Let's say that you are a small business and use the pro account plan. Even though you are paying for the service, a step up from the freemium version, you don't get the option of making your Zoom rooms reflect your company brand. This was somewhat problematic for us. We also couldn't find any app integrations available with Zoom. We wondered if we could use Box, Dropbox, and other cloud storage services. We also couldn't find Sales Force, or any other e-commerce integrations that enhance the functionality of Zoom for different businesses. This was the one area where Zoom disappointed us the most. We also had a problem with a lack of customizable URL for the Pro plan. The customizable URL is advertised on one of the pages in the site, but we had to read the complete features list to see that we couldn't use the customizable URL unless we purchased the Business-level plan. This was also a huge disappointment for us.

The Bottom Line

We would recommend Zoom to any small- or medium-sized business. Their SaaS model is ideal. You can easily have just one host within your organization and invite users to join within your company if they are away. We also really liked some of the neat features that we saw demonstrated in the product. The only thing that we want to see fixed is with the Pro plan. For a paid service, it does not offer a whole lot more than the free version. We would be willing to pay an increase in price for the Pro subscription to make it more suitable for small businesses.

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

Who ever heard of Zoom before the Pandemic and now how can any of us survive without it? Zoom has been such a huge help in helping us take away good from the pandemic. We can cut commute times and have meetings remotely. I'm also grateful I can have meetings with my church groups for free if the time limit is less than 40 minutes. Sometimes they give you unlimited time if there's a large group. This has been a great resource to have.

21 hours ago

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I have both a free and a business account through my work with Zoom. I have also used the education version of Zoom when doing online school. I definitely prefer the paid accounts for Zoom as they allow for unlimited recording time while the free account limits your time and ability to record meetings. The education version of Zoom is awesome because I really enjoy the break-out rooms feature so that you can have little huddles in teams or get private help from other students or TAs. I like how Zoom lets you either blur your background or use custom backgrounds. I always choose something fun like holiday or themed backgrounds and you are able to find and upload your own images for the backgrounds as well.

Brynlee Dalton Riverton, UT

I have had such a great experience with Zoom! Whenever I need to have meetings with others, when we can't meet in person, I always turn to Zoom. It has been a huge help to me because I can still meet with others, even if we can't meet in person. I would definitely recommend Zoom to a friend.

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

Zoom is a very nice way to interact with people whether it be for school or a church activity. I like how you can share your screen and have many options of screen share like a whiteboard for example.

17 hours ago

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

Through the pandemic this was really valuable resource for connecting both for business and for outside groups getting together. I appreciated the 30 minute free version for those groups that needed to just meet without a lot of features, but I also paid for a subscription on one account for longer meetings with various groups.

21 hours ago

emblair Herriman, UT

Zoom zoom zoom zoom. The new word in everyone's vocabulary. But in all honesty, my life is much easier with zoom in it. Zoom keeps their communication platform up to date and makes it simple to communicate remotely.

Cole Haight South Jordan, UT

This is a great way to communicate. There is a way to mute and to turn off the webcam which is helpful. It also will show the person who is talking. I really like the screen sharing function too. I have ran into some bugs with not being able to hear people though.

Tara Hansen Layton, UT

As with most of you, I used Zoom quite a bit during the pandemic. I purchased the upgraded version so I could host longer meetings with my tax clients. My account was also used to stream a wedding and so much more.

Brian Cowley Riverton, UT

Zoom has been good at keeping in touch with family and friends during the pandemic. I like the website and the interface. I like that it is pretty easy to share screens and limit access pretty easily. Music on the platform is horrible though. Don't ever try to share live music. It will not be good.

Taylor Jorgensen Herriman, UT

Zoom is a great way to connect when you cannot meet in person. It can be used for school, youth activities, Sunday school classes, and even family and friend gatherings. You are able to separate people into breakout rooms, you can share your screen, and they have some fun features, like different backgrounds, that you can try.

Elena Pack West Jordan, UT

Zoom is a great conferencing app to do on your computer or phone. It has great features. A great one is you can see everyone on the call. Another great feature is the host can screen share and everyone else can see that. It is great for social distancing but still being able to see and talk and connect to others.

Shopman Herriman, UT

Zoom is a great way to communicate remotely. I have used it for meetings, to watch special events and to just visit with my family. Is like the chat feature. Being able to ask questions and comment is very helpful. I also like that I can used different backgrounds, so everyone doesn't see if I have cleaned my house!

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Zoom has made communicating with my friends and coworkers so easy while we're at home because of COVID-19. The mute feature is essential when I have to step out for a minute, as well as the ability to shut off my camera. The break-out feature is also very helpful when I'm guiding a meeting and need smaller groups.

Heather Riverton, UT

I really like Zoom. I use it for mostly for person/family meetings as well as neighborhood/community meetings. It is simple to use and works well for me.

Mike John Logan, UT

This product has changed the way we conduct business. The freedoms this gave to us was amazing and we can stay in close conduct with family and clients

Luke M Herriman, UT

Zoom has been so helpful these past couple years with Coronavirus, not being able to see my coworkers in person, I can still Zoom with them and get work done.

Shreyash Shrestha Herriman, UT

This is a very good online web meeting software. It is mostly reliable. They are some problems sometimes, but they are usually fixed by the next meeting. It is a very good, all around platform.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

Zoom is super easy to use! I don't love having school over zoom, but being to have a quick meeting has made things easier during the pandemic! It will be something I incorporate into my work when the pandemic is "over"

luke dalton Riverton, UT

I like Zoom for the fact that it is an simple, easy way to connect with people. You can have large groups, or just a one on one talk, but it works great for everything. I wish that you could make it so you only hear one person talking when you are listening to someone from an audience standpoint. Great place to connect.

Clay Thurgood Salt Lake City, UT

During online school I was forced to do online class a lot, and that’s when I was introduced to it. I’ve used it several times meet with people virtually and it’s extremely handy.

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

I can't believe how many meetings I've attended on zoom. What a Godsend this technology is to be able to allow me (and my family) to attend classes, funerals, meetings, etc. all through zoom!

Hijah Smith Tallahassee, FL

As a college student in the pandemic, it was uncertain and new to how we would resume learning while being away from a physical classroom. I am grateful for Zoom allowing teachers and students to still be able to meet and use Zoom as an online classroom. Even outside of the classroom, Zoom is being used to hold online gathering events, panels, seminars, business meetings, watch parties, and holiday get-togethers. Zoom is very easy to use and rarely encounters problems.

Amy N Sandy, UT

As much as I dislike video conferencing in general, it is a necessary part of our world today. Zoom works well and typically the only problems we run into are user errors.

19 hours ago

William King Herriman, UT

When school or work goes online, most people turn to Zoom. The interface is easy to use. I especially enjoy playing with custom backgrounds.

Melissa Handy CA

I use zoom a lot for work. It is nice to have the ability to share a screen and mute others. It does seem to crash occasionally but usually has good connection.

J B Sandy, UT

Don't know how I would have survived the last two years without Zoom! They kept me connected for work and at home with family.

Hailee Coleman Columbia, MO

Zoom is the easiest to use. As a college student, everyone has to be familiar with zoom and understand how to use it. It is easy to learn and effective. Sometimes it can be a little glitchy, but that happens generally because of wifi issues. If you are going to college, zoom is easy to use, and easy to set up. If I could give it a 6/5 stars I would!

Emma N. Sandy, UT

It's always slow! If one person on the call has bad internet, the whole call is slowed down, I much prefer in-person calls. As soon as there are more than 5 people, quality of the call drops. I only use it for school cause I have to for attendance.

19 hours ago

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

With the pandemic, Zoom has been so helpful to stay connected with friends and family. We love our weekly zoom calls?

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

I use Zoom almost every day for work. It is user friendly, easy to set up, and works well with google calendar.

Jeff Thurgood Draper, UT

Zoom is great for quick meetings. Overall the product is great. I do wish you could zoom in on a computer when a screen is being shared.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Zoom took over during the pandemic and for good reason. Meetings are always clear with very few glitches, i.e. rarely lose video or audio. The feature are great as well with screen sharing and recording.

keiontai henry Tallahassee, FL

I love using zoom as an effective way to communicate virtually, you can ssign breakout rooms to get others to interact more intimately, and you are given up to 40 minutes free to chat!

Morgan Elijah Tallahassee, FL

Overall I think that zoom is very reliable. It makes it easy to communicate with my professors and peers in college. Although I personally dislike virtual classes zoom has made it very feasible. I have taken tests over zoom and I prefer that way more than proctoring sites that constantly occur errors.

Spencer M Meridian, ID

Zoom has always worked really well for me. It is really easy to navigate and set up. The only thing I don't like about it is that in order to host meetings they make you create an account. Free but a bit of a hassle. And it only lets you hold meetings for forty minutes unless you upgrade to premium.

Nashali Vescovacci FL

Zoom is a great company because it is easy to work and very convenient. It is the best company compared to its competitors. It also has very helpful features such as the record and share your screen option, making it great for meetings.

Jec Canby, OR

A life savor when Covid hit. Wow, we used zoom a lot. and for so many different reasons and events. School, church, work, group dates, activities, etc.... Now that we no longer need to meet via Zoom we still use it occasionally for convenience and time saving. Easy to learn, free options, secure options, well know.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been a life-saver during COVID times. Zoom sometimes has small technical issues but nothing a quick update can't solve. Easy to use, largely accessible, and unmatched features such as backgrounds and screen sharing. Largely recommend.

Ashley D Tallahassee, FL

Zoom has been extremely helpful during the COVID-19 pandemic. Although there are other platforms for video conferencing and such, zoom has truly been the best. I am able to listen in to my classes while I am multitasking and don't even have to type out my responses as there are little emojis I can give back. Also, the handraising option is great for large classes as no one is shouting out or interrupting the class. However, the app do crash a lot or tend to have issues here and there within the system.I believe since it is such a widely used app, there's a lot going on. However, I do believe Zoom should account for that and definitely fix that up so the system can handle it.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Zoom became the most essential platform during the pandemic for online work, school, etc. even for me. The platform was a bit confusing to navigate at first especially when it came to muting and unmuting myself at the right time. The pros of zoom outweigh the bad. However, it's most fatal con was and still is that they let the platform saturate because of how many people use it at once. This is incredibly frustrating due to being logged off calls and not being able to log back in.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I have used Zoom many many times for my university and for other meetings. It is a great way to meet with many people at once and being able to share the screen is a great convenience. I think Zoom has a lot of great options that make video calls simple and enjoyable.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

We are living in a new age. Without the powers of Zoom, our life would have not been able to transition into a healthier alternative. I am very appreciative of Zoom and the way it has shaped life as we know it. I will be continuing to use Zoom in my daily life, as it makes meetings much easier and effective.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

Zoom is such an easy tool to use for all ages that even my grandparents can use it. Zoom provides a way for me to stay connected with my family during this pandemic! As well as it helped me do all of my school work and interviews for jobs. Zoom is a reliable system that keeps everyone connected and helped me graduate last year!

Danielle Luma Tallahassee, FL

I use Zoom everyday. For what it is used for it is a really good application. I would say that I wish you did not have to pay for longer meetings, but I still think it is a good app.

Jodee McKeon Houston, TX

No complaints. Like most people, I had to learn to use Zoom last year but I found it very user friendly and not hard to figure out at all. It meets my needs and I'm comfortable using it!

Carolina camacho

I love zoom! I have several of my classes over zoom, and have had countless meetings over Zoom, and it makes it so easy to connect with others. I rarely ever have issues on Zoom.

Naomi Jacksonville, FL

Zoom is the best thing that happened since the pandemic. This is such a great way to communicate with people with many external tools to interact. My school currently uses zoom and I never have problems with it.

Rachel Calton ID

Super easy to use and it’s great to get lots of people on one call.

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Very easy to use. Good sound and video. great deal for the cost.

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

I like the ability to mute and not show my video feed.