Home Depot Logo
LAST UPDATED: January 20th, 2022
Home Depot was established in 1978 as a neighborhood home improvement store. Now there are more than 2,200 stores throughout North America, making Home Depot the world's largest home improvement retailer. Home Depot lives by a simple premise: put customers and associates first. They are committed to providing quality customer service, quality products, efficient and interconnected retail. Additionally, they have become the industry leader in water softener sales and service.

The Good

• Company Size
  • Established Brand
  • Products

Company Size

Over the past 35 years that Home Depot has been around, they have become one of the largest water softener companies in the world. They employ thousands employees and have helped prestigious customers from all around the world.

Established Brand

Home Depot serves thousands of customers, including top world-wide chains and companies. Home Depot is one of the largest brands in the industry, and offers various services, features, and products. Although they offer high quality water softeners, they are also a home improvement store located all throughout the United States. Home Depot offers more than 35,000 products in store and over 1 million products online.

Products

Home Depot offers many different products and resources for customers to help with their specific water softener needs. They have products and features for all types of budgets. The prices differ based on the different systems, but they range from $350-$2,500.

The Bad

• Installation Services
  • Undisclosed Information

Installation Services

Home Depot only offers installation services based on location and certain products. Although you have the option to pick up the product from the store or have the product dropped off at your home, you have to ask whether installation services are available. If installation services are available in your area and with your product, you will have to pay an additional fee for installation.

Undisclosed Information

There is a lot of information that Home Depot doesn't include on their website. They do not provide any information regarding contract length or a cancellation policy. Other industry competitors are very transparent when providing information about contracts. Usually there are month to month contracts or yearly contracts, but Home Depot does not release this information on their website. Additionally, they do not disclose if they have a cancellation or refund policy regarding contracts.

The Bottom Line

Home Depot has proven themselves to be a reliable water softener company over the years. They do not always offer installation services, which is a little concerning, but they do offer many different products and are available in multiple different regions. Additionally, they offer various different products available for those with all different budgets. Overall, we would recommend Home Depot for those who want a guaranteed satisfaction.

CypressH Ellicott City, MD

I really enjoy both my local Home Depot Store and the extended experience their water softeners offer. I get jugs of water from their refilling station every other week and they contribute to maintain the maintenance of the water supply in my home.

Jen M Raleigh, NC

The Home Depot staff was very friendly. I bought a softener and wasn’t sure how it worked. The person who helped me taught me how to install it and showed me how it works. Great experience.

Saylor D Herriman, UT

Home Depot has the most options for all kinds of projects, and the employees are very helpful in assisting you. We just completed a project in our house, and everything needed for it was found at Home Depot. The customer service was absolutely amazing.

Victor Olaore Omoshehin Brooklyn, NY

I got Home Depot, was able to buy everything I needed at a very cheaper rate. Things purchased are of high quality and was able to return others which I don't doesn't fit my expectations and home measurements. Staff were very supportive to provide technical aid to customers at every needed point, though, the description makes it easier to self identify your shopping unit where specific items and or equipments could be picked. Still the COVID-19 precautions and protocols needed to be followed, wearing of masks is still mandatory while six feet social distant is always being maintained. At the two locations of home depots I patronize frequently, the traffic is not as high as expected due to the COVID-19 pandemic. I will recommend shopping here for anyone interested in shopping for home 🏡 appliances, equipment etc.

Sirrah Harris

Absolutely my go to business for any and everything I need from tools to materials. I only wish that it was easier to find certain things. I find myself wondering through the store for hours looking for a specific thing that tends to be hard to describe to the employees.

Emily D Herriman, UT

We live in an area with very hard water. Our water softener helps so much to keep our water soft. Our shower door stays free of build up

Yvetta Johnson Austin, TX

Bought water softener and they set me up for delivery and installation And when they got here they tell me they don’t install. My brother in law had to install but I was charged installation fees

Grace Citrus Heights, CA

What I most like about Home Depot is it's a one stop shop for my home improvements or repairs and upgrades. We purchased our Rheem water softener and have been very satisfied. We also have the water heater so the two have worked well together.. They sell quality products that they back. The few times I have had an issue with something purchased at Home Depot the item was returned and I received a refund. I also like all the DYI project info they provide.

Ashlyn Elwood Marietta, GA

I LOVE Home Depot. They have awesome prices coupled with terrific quality. Their customer service is also always on top of it. When I needed help picking a water softener there was a very nice employee who came and helped me decide. They clearly knew what they were talking about and my water softener has not had any issues.

Nathaniel Scott Souderton, PA

I purchased a GE under sink water filtration system from Home Depot because I wanted clean, filtered water when using my sink so I can cook and drink clear, non-contaminated water and the product has been great so far. I had a plumber install the device but it was pretty easy for the person. Once done, you use your kitchen sink like normal with the joy of knowing that your water will be healthy and filtered! Replacing the filter is simple and easy as the device comes with a sensor that alerts you when it is time to replace the filter. Unscrew and detach the filter from the mounted unit and attach the new filter. Simple right? Best purchase I made thus far and would do so again.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

There are so many water softener companies out there it's hard to find the right one. We have a well as our primary source of water. The well has minerals that leave rust stains in the toilet basin and around the shower drains. In the spring, during the thaw, the water has a sulfur aroma. We decided when it was time to get a water softener we wanted to make sure they had the replacement filters immediately. We went to Home Depot and they had a few choices. When we got the one we wanted, the company has filters available through their online stores which makes it convenient. The water softener does the trick for better tasting and better smelling water.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

Home Depot is the go-to for home improvement, diy's, bathroom furniture and even cleaning supplies. I always find things I didn't even know I needed and the most interesting gadgets/new technology for every day problems. However, I am obligated to give it this rating because of their customer service; it is very get you in and out type of situation and maybe that's what other customers look for but not all.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

Purchased a hot water heater and to my dismay is was only producing warm water it was never hot, after several phone calls and attempts to fix. It was finally replaced without hastle.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

We got out water softener from home depot and install was smooth. Great for the longevity of our appliances and definitely helped remove any build up we were getting prior

Elder Terdkin Green Cove Springs, FL

I was supposed to get a water softener from a 3rd party company that Home depot sent to my house after answering some questions from a Home depot employee, the company sent a random young guy "salesman" to chat me up for 4 hours and talk me into buying this huge system that would attach to the side of my house. After working out the numbers and staying up late and getting an approval and financing from their boss, which let Home Depot put a lien on my house if I could make the payments, meaning in the future I wouldnt be able to sell my house, over a water softener. after all that, the company never came out the next day to install anything. worked out in my favor I guess since I wouldnt want to lose my home over a water softener that was kinda pushed on me from Home Depot. All because I answered a questionnaire from an employee walking around........

Abi Deen Frisco, TX

Installation was fast and easy. The representative with Home Depot was Awesome and friendly. I revived my 40% discount as promised. Overall great experience. Definitely love our water treatment system. Really good investment.

Samarra Miller Fort Lauderdale, FL

The impact they have on the customer and their clients is amazing. Asking questions about the water softeners was easy .Nice to see when people take pride in the work they do. Not only did they give me a free quote but, it was a lot less then these other companies were tring to charge me and now my system works like new, I have recommended Home Depot to my friends

Winta Mehari Garner, NC

Love visiting Home Depot whenever I need new appliances, filters, etc. I like the Rheem water softener because it's affordable and feel like it does a pretty decent job with our water. Super easy set up as well and lights that let you know when filters need to be changed.

hemant mahidhara Metuchen, NJ

I used the Rheem 32,000 Grain Water Softener from Home Depot a few years ago when living in Texas. I opted for the installation service from Home Depot itself as the installation seemed tricky. I think Home Depot did a great job with the installation itself. Had no issues with the system for the 2 years we were in that house before we sold it. The system was a full house water softener for a small to medium size house. Had a bunch of smart features and was energy efficient. Overall had a very good experience with the water softener and would use it again.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

By far the easiest water softener install we done in one of our homes. We installed it ourselves after purchasing it for our new house but when we needed assistance we were always able to get it in a timely manner. Very pleased.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

Does a good job. Have had since house was built. Fits perfectly in small space in garage. Operation is quiet. Has small screen that lets us know when more product is needed. Home Depot has always been a reliable company with good products. We are happy with purchase.

Nancy Oliver Lake Orion, MI

Having a well and a reverse osmosis system we still need plenty of salt. The brand is reliable and I feel comfortable using it in our system. Water is very clean. Never or rarely smells like the well. I feel the salt on me when I shower but I have become accustomed to it. Good product good value.

KG Lebanon, NJ

Good quality product was able to be installed by a contractor and still seems to be working well. Price was competitive.

Mohammed A

I have been a long time shopper at Home Depot and recently decide to try their water softener products. To my amazement, not only were they up to par with the private industry guys that I have used before, but the feel and sense of doing it yourself was quite satisfying. Very easy to use…great results!

Autumn Lewiston, ID

I purchased my home in 2020 and have gone to Home Depot for all my home needs. I had a Rainsoft water softener system installed as the area we live in has hard water. I recommend Home Depot for all your home needs.

Yael Tampa, FL

Home Depot has the most advanced technology in water filtration. Although the cost is relatively higher than other products, it has almost zero maintenance fee, and the cost of the missing replacement filter is negligible.

John Marchese Pittsburgh, PA

great customer service and help w/ the products. I don't know much about softeners, but this one does it's job - I just feel like they're expensive, but so is everything when you have a home right?!

Stacy Carter Red Cliff, CO

Home depot is a convenient store that usually has most of what we need. Their online store is thorough and convenient. You can order products and have them shipped to the store for pickup. They have a pretty good variety of water softeners. We bought a water softner that was a great value and has worked well.

J B Sandy, UT

My water softener has been running smooth for 10 years now!

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

Home Depot always has what I need for any of my projects. The staff always help with a smile when I need help with something.

Sade b Oklahoma City, OK

I bought some water softeners from Home Depot and the people working in the store helped me with what I needed. The water softener helped with my sinks

Bryce Wilcox CA

Home Depot was great. The price was reasonable and their return policy has always been a “no hassle” process. I try to buy from Home Depot whenever possible.

Natalia Correa MDTribe Tallahassee, FL

Home Depot's collections are so vast. There is every style, color, and model possible to choose from and their water softeners are life changing. They're affordable and if you ever have any issues they are more than happy to help you. My family used their service recently and they walked us through everything. They also provided financing options tailored to our needs which was super helpful. They did the installation process and I really appreciate their attention to detail and professionalism. I highly recommend!

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We love Home Depot! It is so convenient and they always have what i am looking for. We purchased a water softener from them and have loved the customer service provided. We have not had any problems with the water softener and we have had it for years. I love all of the friendly workers and how helpful they are to me. I love shopping at Home Depot.

Bernice Mcgovern Albuquerque, NM

Great company employees are always helpful when I go in there . They help you right away find something you need .

Lisa Houston, TX

The water softener was awesome at first but maintaince needed can be costly. Of course it makes skin soft but sometimes feels to silky or slimy on skin. Other than that excellent

Jimmy tang Rancho Cordova, CA

Great friendly staff bought my water softener here was easy to in stall with the help of a associate who explained to me step by step .

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

Worked with Home Depot to replace my parents water softener. It was super easy from delivery install and taking the old out with them.

James MOLINA

Easy application same as name brand water softners correct fit

Julia UP Southbury, CT

The water filter system has met expectations. The installation took about 4 hours. Our water had to much salt. Great job and cost is very reasonable.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

GREAT quality! Could tell the change right away the change in quality. Great customer service & warranty available.

James Houston, TX

Very convenient and had what I needed. The expert guided me to what I needed and the price I was willing to spend.

cj thor Greenville, SC

Home Depot had whaat I needed for my water softener needs..... Their staff was helpful giving me my options.

Amy Barrus Sandy, UT

Most of the time I have been able to find what I needed at Home Depot. The employees are generally helpful and polite. The quality is pretty good. We buy all our water softener salt at Home Depot. The quality is great. At my local Home Depot I have actually had really great help in the garden center. I’m surprised how much the employees actually know something about gardening. We use Home Depot for a lot of our home improvement needs, and we are always well taken care of. It’s our favorite Home Improvement stop.

Cjorduno Logan, UT

We bought our water softener from Home Depot years ago. It has lasted us and been a quality product for half the price as other companies. No more hard water has saved our appliances and saved us the cost of repair from the build up hard eater used to create! It was easy installation and easy to maintain!

Jr Orem, UT

Bought GE from Home Depot with help from a sales man who gave really good pros and cons about different brands. Good Size,/weight, fits perfect in small space we had. my family has noticed a huge improvement and difference. wish we would have invested in a water softner years ago.

Adam Crawley Pleasant Grove, UT

The customer employees were crucial to my experience at Home Depot. I recently picked up a few things, and if it wasn't for the patient-employee helping me, I wouldn't have been able to find anything I needed because the store is so huge. Although the customer service is good, the return policy on many products I've purchased is very confusing. It needs to be simplified more for me to even understand.

Derek Barlow Broken Arrow, OK

Everyone has always been pretty helpful and honest. Only problem is prices tend to be higher then anywhere else

Belsy Franco Columbia, SC

Easy installation and replacement of existing aging water softener. Water pressure is good.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

My family only buys our water softener from Home Depot. Only Home Depot has the deals and cheap prices on high quality water softener.