SaferWeb

5.8

Safer Web is part of a family of VPN providers which began in 2015 by Pseudo Ltd.  Other VPN companies owned by Pseudo included TotalVPN and Incognito, as well as Safer Web.  The web hosting giant, The Endurance International Group purchased Pseudo Ltd. and its' companies in March, 2016, so Safer Web is now owned by The Endurance International Group.  With offices still in the UK, Safer Web, TotalVPN, and Incognito are under the jurisdiction of the United States and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Each of the three Pseudo Lts. companies use the same servers worldwide and have over 30 server locations globally.

#1 NordVPN Logo NordVPN ›

8.3

Overall
Score

#2 Hide My Ass! Logo Hide My Ass! ›

7.1

Overall
Score

#3 Private Internet Access Logo Private Internet Access ›

6.2

Overall
Score

#6 SaferWeb Logo SaferWeb

5.8

Overall
Score

The Good

• Refund Policy
  • Encryption Type
  • Speed
Refund Policy

Safer Web offers a 30-day money back guarantee for all new customers. In order to be eligible for this refund, customers must request the refund in writing within the first 30 days of their subscription. There are no other refunds granted after this time.

Encryption Type

Safer Web offers their customers a choice of any of the top encryption protocols - PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec and IkeV2. As OpenVPN is widely regarded as the most secure encryption currently available, the Review Team recommends using OpenVPN whenever possible. However, iOS users must use a different protocol which is compatible with their system such as L2TP/IPSec.

Speed

Independent speed test results, when averaged, give a snapshot of the possible speed for the VPN. Safer Web does not have enough independent speed test results to provide an accurate comparison, so the Review Team is reporting speeds used for TotalVPN, a sister company, using the same servers. TotalVPN averages download speeds of 19.29 Mbps and upload speeds of 4.87 Mbps. Both are close to the average non-VPN connection for the United States of 20.8 Mbps and 5.2 Mbps, respectively.

The Bad

• Price
  • Transparency
  • Extra Features
 Price

Safer Web offers two plans from which subscribers can choose. Both are available with monthly, 12, and 24 month subscription terms, with the multiple-month terms reflecting discounts and being paid in full at the beginning of the subscription. All encryption protocols are available for both plans, and both plan include unlimited bandwidth and data transfer. The Premium Plan only includes servers at 7 locations, rather than the full VPN of over 30 locations. Introductory pricing is only available for the first term of the subscription - either 1 month, 12, or 24 months.

Premium - $4.99/month introductory pricing

• $9.97/month for 24-month subscription
  • $11.97/month for 12-month subscription
  • $14.98/month for monthly subscription

3 Devices may be simultaneously connected to the VPN tunnel

While appearing to be competitively priced, Safer Web is more expensive than other plans with comparable or better features e.g. with more server locations or, more simultaneous connections allowed.

Transparency

Safer Web, like the other Pseudo Ltd.VPN providers, collects significantly more personal data than other companies. They state that they may use this data to support their customers and keep it for as long as it is reasonable or legally required. AMong the data which they may keep are the following:

• Name
  • Payment history
  • Manner of payment
  • Amount of payments
  • Date of payments
  • Credit card or other payment information (only used for billing)

As is the case with most VPN providers, certain information is gathered about users' VPN sessions including: the user's IP address, amount of data transferred, times of connection and disconnection from the server as well as which server(s) were used during the connection. Safer Web states that they do not log or collect data about specific browsing behaviors or individual sites visited.

In spite of having offices in the United Kingdom, as Safer Web's parent company is based in Massachusetts, the company is under the jurisdiction of the US and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Extra Features

As far as the additional features which the Review Team looks for in a VPN provider, Safer Web does not offer any of them. They don't offer kill switches, firewalls, or ad blocking.

The Bottom Line

Safer Web has many features, that with time and tweaking can help propel it into an industry leader and receive full recommendation from the Review Team. As of the date of this review (June, 2017), the company is still too new to have a good feel and track record on which to base either positive or negative impressions. It is important to note that the company's pricing is higher than that for their competitors for equal or better packages. The Review Team does not fully recommend Safer Web, as it has many areas which need improvement, and looks forward to seeing if and when these occur.

Kevin Westby

August 21st, 2017

SaferWeb August 2017 - They have closed down the Amsterdam, Chicago, London, New York, Singapore, Sydney and p2p-Netherlands servers - Overall poor service and incompetent help desk. I dropped their services after being unable to obtain connection after a long period of experiencing unstable connections. Oh, and when connection is available, it is generally slow in comparison with their competitors.

chauncey Hill

July 14th, 2016 Glen Burnie, MD

I purchase saferweb about a month-and-a-half ago I paid $47.86 they got me as a new purchase I cannot connect first I went on yesterday to try to connect and he kept saying unfortunately saferweb has stopped so I contacted them they never respond back then I had to download them again the application and when I download application put in my password they never recognize that I now I cannot get into the account that I paid for it got me as a trial free so I don't have access anymore and I'm trying to contact them they are not responding I use my Capital One credit card to pay for it and I cannot get into it and it feel to respond back to me I have a phone number here but this number no one else then the email I sent they do not respond however they did respond to one email telling me that the speed was too low on the free I'm not under free I paid for mine and I paid for the full price for 2 to 3 years I don't know what's going on they took my money you don't noone us responding to me at all