Best Company Guarantee Norton LifeLock Logo

Norton LifeLock

7.6

LAST UPDATED: April 23rd, 2022

As a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety, NortonLifeLock is dedicated to helping secure people’s devices, identities, and online privacy.

Cyberthreats are constantly changing and evolving as cybercriminals create malware and phishing, ransomware and viruses, data breaches, and unsecured Wi-Fi connections. That’s why NortonLifeLock offers consumers multiple products and services specifically designed to protect people when they’re online.

Customers can expect the following services when signing up with NortonLifeLock:

• Device Security — Multi-layered, advanced security helps protect devices and information from online threats like viruses, malware, and phishing.
  • Identity Theft Protection — Monitors identity theft threats and provides restoration services if there is an identity theft issue.
  • Online Privacy — Virtual private networking helps protect privacy when information is being sent or received over Wi-Fi, wired, or mobile connections.
  • Home & Family — Helps families enjoy connected devices worry-free with Parental Controls and other solutions.

The Good

• Comprehensive Protection
  • Virus Protection Promise
  • Student Discounts
  • Free Trials

Comprehensive Protection

Now that Norton and LifeLock are one company, consumers can get all-in-one protection against today’s cyberthreats. Consumers can have three affordable options when it comes to comprehensive plans: Norton 360 with LifeLock Select, Norton 360 Deluxe, and the Norton 360 Standard.

Norton 360 with LifeLock Select will cost consumers $8.99 for the first 12 months but will increase the second year to $14.99. Now this plan includes protection for up to five PCs, Macs, smartphones or tablets; and includes things like a password manager, privacy monitor, PC SafeCam, Lost Wallet Protection, SSN and credit alerts, and more.

However, this plan doesn’t include bank and credit activity alerts, fictitious identity monitoring, court records scanning, 401(k) and investment activity alerts or home title monitoring. Consumers will have to upgrade their plan to the Norton 360 with LifeLock Advantage ($17.99 for the first 12 months and $24.99 per month after that) or the Norton 360 with LifeLock Ultimate Plus ($25.99 for the first 12 months and $34.99 per month after that) for those features.

The next affordable plan is Norton 360 Deluxe ($7.99 for the first 12 months and $9.99 after that), which provides multiple layers of protection for devices and online privacy. This plan also offers protection for up to five PCs, Macs, smartphones or tablets and includes features such as anti-spyware, antivirus, malware and ransomware protection, online threat protection, cloud backup, smart firewall, password manager, and the Virus Protection Promise.

The most basic comprehensive plan is the Norton 360 Standard, which is $7.99 per month. However, this plan only offers protection for one PC, Mac or one smartphone or tablet. Users do have some features such as the anti-spyware, antivirus, malware and ransomware protection, online threat protection, cloud backup, smart firewall, password manager, PC SafeCam, Dark Web Monitoring Powered by LifeLock, and the Virus Protection Promise.

Virus Protection Promise

Norton LifeLock will refund consumer’s money if its software can’t remove a virus. The company boasts that keeping devices free and clear of viruses is the foundation of its business and is so confident in its antivirus and malware protection that the company will give customers their money back if it can’t remove the virus.

However, it is recommended that consumers read the fine print to learn about any terms or conditions that may come with the promise.

Student Discounts

NortonLifeLock realizes that many students spend countless hours on their computers (and other devices). In order to help students focus more on term papers and homework and less on viruses, malware, and identity theft, NortonLifeLock offers a student discount. Depending on the selected plan, the discount rate will vary, but students can expect anywhere from $40–$60 off for the first year.

Free Trials

Consumers who are on the fence about getting NortonLifeLock should look into the company’s free trials. Users can experience what it’s like to use Norton Mobile Security for Android, Norton Mobile Security for iOS, Norton Family Premier, or they can try one of Norton’s free virus scan or virus removal tools.

Users looking for Norton Antivirus Basic should be aware that the company no longer offers a free trial for that plan. In its stead is the Norton AntiVirus Plus plan that offers everything the Norton AntiVirus Basic did (but includes features such as Smart Firewall, PC Cloud Backup, Password Manager, and the Virus Protection Promise).

The Bad

• Product Limitations
  • Problems with the Software

Product Limitations

Consumers should be aware that not all features are available on all platforms, so it’s best to read the fine print and make sure Norton’s services will work with your computer’s operating system.

For example, Norton Family Parental Controls, Norton Cloud Backup, and SafeCam are not supported on Mac OS.

Problems with the Software

Several reviews left on BestCompany.com reveal that some customers were frustrated with NortonLifeLock. A few were disappointed with the company’s auto-renewal (consumers complained that even after speaking to customer service, their credit cards were still charged for a subscription), others felt that the software slowed down their computers, and some struggled to remove the program from their computer completely.

The Bottom Line

Consumers who are looking to up the security on their devices will definitely want to look into NortonLifeLock.

The software company offers plenty of comprehensive plans for anyone who wants to protect their identity and shield their devices from harmful viruses and malware. Users who get the Norton 360 Standard will get basic coverage at an affordable price, but users with the Norton 360 with LifeLock Select will get a range of features all designed to help protect one’s identity, online privacy, and devices.

There are a few product limitations, as not all features are available on all platform types, so be sure to read the fine print. And while a few consumers were frustrated with a few aspects of NortonLifeLock — things such as the software slowing the device down, not being able to entirely remove the product off their device, and being charged after canceling — others appeared to be happy with the amount of protection NortonLifeLock’s products and services provided.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

Having Norton LifeLock allowed me to be at ease using online shopping, paying bills, among other things. I’ve been hacked before purchasing LifeLock security and they gave me the tools to getting my problems resolved, there are a lot of services comes with your package they offer different levels of security at different cost it’s all about what the customer needs are but most of all affordable no matter what level of security one chooses the customers are insured in case their identity has been compromised this is just one of many services offered when becoming a member. The rise of identity theft is a constant growing problem . Becoming a Norton LifeLock member will give you a peace of mind knowing your information will be monitored by a reliable company. Identity theft can be detrimental and in some cases it can destroy one’s life.

James P East Stroudsburg, PA

Several issues with this site. My accounts keep disconnecting (but you do not receive any notice when this happens). This means that you do not actually have protections (when accounts routinely disconnect). I can't even keep PNC Bank connected through their site! Have emailed and chatted with reps several times which was even more frustrating. Canceling at the end of the year and going elsewhere. I don't feel protected by Lifelock. Don't go with this company if you have multiple accounts you wish to have monitored or if you have PNC Bank.

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

I grew up using Norton Antivirus on family computers and was used to their apps crushing my computer's performance with its regular scans and updates. Fast forward decades and I receive a free trial for Norton 360 with LifeLock and I was skeptical. I was wrong. LifeLock is super easy to setup on iOS and Mac, and runs seamlessly in the background (even on M1 Macs). For iOS, you just grab it from the App Store, do a quick setup, and you're good to go. It doesn't provide extensive insight into how its helping you, but you can tell based on the ads (they seem a little less creepy) that its doing its job. I kept LifeLock after the trial ended.

Bx Chick Yonkers, NY

I was a customer of Lifelock before they merged with Norton. The service continues to be high quality. I have received notifications via text and email, especially if there are changes to my credit; New inquiries, big item purchases, unusual activity etc. Knowing that they are constantly monitoring my accounts, I am confident that my security is safe with NortonLifeLock. I highly recommend them to everyone.

Jlbfla New Braunfels, TX

We have been with Norton for years and found it to be safe and secure. Easy to sign up and add the settings you want protected from passwords in iCloud and everything else need in business accounts. Happy with the strong protection and feedback that Norton Lifelock let’s us view. Amazing. Great customer service too. Reasonable prices. Reminders.

Harold Honeyman Boardman, OR

I have found Norton Lifelock to be very reliable over the years I have used their products. I had a situation a few years ago where I had been paying for my son's service on his computer which died and Norton issued a refund of the unused subscription with no hassles. I really like the peace of mind I have had since I have been using the VPN service from Norton Lifelock. I think I have had it for a few years now, as I recall. I don't remember having any issues to date.

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

It works, but I feel Norton products are full of ads, which I can't stand. You order a VPN service and then next thing you know you are now being offered internet security, premium services, deep cleaning services, etc. Which can be great if you need all of that, but if you only need a VPN than I would find another VPN company to go with that won't try and sign you up for every other service they have. BUT if you need internet security, etc. that they all offer than go for it and sign up for their VPN and security, etc. They usually have Norton products on sale as well, so keep an eye out for deals in the paper or online. ;)

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

We switched to Norton LifeLock last year when the other company had an owner that liked to break the law. Norton LifeLock is great for the home protections needed for protection of home and mobile devices. I like the alerts that come up if there's something suspicious about the connectivity. I like that you can pay for different variations and levels of security. You can get exactly what you want to secure your privacy, Internet-connected digital fingerprint to the rest of the world.

Lee Stineman Edwardsville, IL

I feel comfortable using Norton Lifelock. They have been around a long time, have a good reputation, and offer multiple product choices. Now that there are so many competitors, it can be overwhelming to pick a product, especially if you are not very experienced with technology . Using Norton, I feel like they are an established, trusted company. I have paid more for their service than others because I feel my vital, confidential information will be safe.

Mandy Pesce Holmdel, NJ

My family chose to go with the reputable company of "Norton" with their LifeLock product to protect our personal and private information online through all devices we use in our home. Their packages are affordable and they have phenomenal customer service. We highly recommend them.

Bob Abaya South San Francisco, CA

In this day of cyber piracy, it’s nice to know there is Norton LifeLock to protect me from prying eyes and cyber theft. It acts flawlessly and with little interruption to my surfing needs. I can access my financial accounts without any concerns.

Erinmarie Xian Brandon, FL

My job requires I have this on my work phone. It secures all my information so the company feels protected. I’ve only been using it for a month but the company has been using for years for mobile security

Harvey C. Macomb, MI

Norton LifeLock is the only VPN that I have ever worked with in my decades of internet use. It is a trustworthy company and has continuously kept me protected. I will always choose them as long as they remain reliable.

Vernon Cox Glendale, AZ

Great service the service was provided by a credit card company that provided the service because of a breach in there system the monthly updates provided the info I needed to make sure everything was ok.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I had my information compromised from using public wifi and researched many protection services, Norton LifeLock offered the protection and security I needed at a great price. I Would recommend everyone use it.

Deb Jackson Valrico, FL

I have been using Norton for years. I think they have great customer service and always seem to solve my problems. Lately they have added auto renewal, which I don't care for, especially since you don't know what the new rate will be at renewal. But you can be alerted before it renews and you can turn off the auto renewal.

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

The customer service representative took their time to make sure all my questions or concerns were answered. Reaching out to their customer service was easier than most companies and did not have a long wait time.

Rosie Ewing Houston, TX

I purchased Lifelock under the assumption that the service they were offering was their best and most comprehensive plan. However, after purchase they disclosed add on services that were suppose to make my online information " more secure". The initial plan was just to get me in then pile on extras. These services should have been offered up front and not used to scare me into purchasing add on services. I'm disappointed.

Kirk Fuller

I feel that they allowed me to use my computer without worryring about being hacked or my secure information falling into the wrong hands. The service is fairly priced and I am secure with their service.

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

I got this as part of another purchase for credit monitoring. The price was good with the deal, which I believe was 2 years. Seems to work just fine. I recommended it to my mother for her computer.

no sugarcoating

not a company to sign up with if you are looking for a straight VPN solution. The only way you get a VPN through Norton is when you opt for a deluxe of higher plans, which are over $100/year and you get a bundle of bells and whistles. The price was enough to stop me from trying it. you can get a free antivirus anywhere these days and without that price tag. If I'm looking for a VPN, then I'll pay for just the VPN service and it will cost a lot less than Norton

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

I feel confident having this VPN by my side. Never a question in my mind on whether I'm protected online. Easy to use and set up. Quality for the price.

James Moss Nevada, IA

I like Norton LifeLock because it gives me the feeling of security. It's not a save-all, but differently worth the money if something ever went wrong.

Brett Schiftner Weatherford, TX

Pretty easy to install and set up and so far has been effective. Norton has always been a great company to work with so I don't expect this to be any different.

Brittany Mayes

I used this in 2012 when I bought my computer. Never had any issues, just wasn’t something that I wanted to continue using. The website was very user friendly, I can only imagine how much better it probably is now.

Kateri McKnight

I kept hearing how wonderful the company was and although I tried it just with my trial, I really liked the benefits. The rates became a bit too expensive for me after awhile but it was great while it lasted, with no outages.

Alexandria Lekberg Chesterfield, VA

This company is the safest for your privacy! You don’t have to worry about your info being hacked! It is worth the money!

Lisa Wyatt O'Fallon, MO

I've been very satisfied with the protection it gives me. I got it because I had a breach in my data and some of my passwords were compromised.

Laura Mccall Sacramento, CA

Norton has protected many of my computers. I wouldn't go with anyone else. Customer service is really good, helped me through any issues I had.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

I have been using Norton programs for a long time. I trust them with my security and their service is worth it. Very good value for the price.

tommy melvin Henrico, VA

My personal VPN. Love the price, easy to turn on and off. I can use it on my phone as well. Offers great protection

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

Love the Norton Life Lock ! By far the best I’ve used for protection. The coverage and price is well worth the price.

Samf Pompano Beach, FL

Love the peace of mind I get with Norton LifeLock. It's easy to setup and I have had no issues since using LifeLock.

Jmarsh Macomb, MI

Norton Lifelock has been an easy VPN to use and has protected my family from internet harm.

Cher Hansen Milwaukee, WI

Wherever I go Norton let's me that I am safe on the web and all of my devices that are with me

Patti Crawford Appleton, WI

The one thing I dislike is the annoying amount of pop-ups. Also the auto renewal

Doug Foerch Vernon Hills, IL

It is a pretty solid security, but the program can run interference with other programs.

Tracia Culpeper, VA

Great product for internet protection, but the price is expensive

JaylenOlivia Savannah, GA

Easy and secure. You can feel safe knowing you are using Norton LifeLock.

Jennifer Palmer, AK

A trustworthy company and with very reasonable prices

Larry R Thrash Atlanta, GA

works extremely well. all I do is click and it is setup.