NordVPN Logo

NordVPN

7.1

LAST UPDATED: June 8th, 2022

The NordVPN name was inspired by Nordic ideals of confidence, trust, and innovation. It reflects how the company values its customers' freedom of choice and how NordVPN strives to be innovative with technology.

NordVPN is used by over 14 million internet users worldwide and is recognized by some of the most influential technology companies and IT security specialists. NordVPN features easy-to-use apps that are compatible with Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.

The Good

• 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • Secure up to 6 Devices
  • Number of Servers
  • Privacy Protection
  • Extra Features
  • Student Discounts
  • Customer Support

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

You can try NordVPN's service for free for 30 days. If you're unhappy with the product for any reason, you can cancel and get a full refund.

Secure up to 6 Devices

With NordVPN, you can protect up to six devices. Most VPN companies let you use up to five devices simultaneously, but few are letting consumers use ten or more devices at one time (making NordVPN a decent option).

This is great for households with multiple devices. Plus, you can use NordVPN with Windows, macOS, and Linux. There are also NordVPN apps for iOS, Android, and Android TV. And you can get encrypted proxy extensions for Chrome and Firefox.

Number of Servers

As of today, NordVPN has 5,538 servers in 59 countries. This is important because the closer you are to the VPN server, the better the performance. So the more servers a VPN company has, the better.

Along with the impressive number of servers, NordVPN also increased the computing load of its servers, which significantly boosted service speed.

Privacy Protection

If you don't have a VPN, all your online traffic goes through your internet service provider (ISP) and allows them to see everything you've been doing online. When you connect to a VPN server, your current ISP can't see what you're doing on the internet, but your VPN provider still can. Consumers need to know what kind of logs (details about you and your internet activity) your VPN is storing and using.

NordVPN has a strict no-log policy. The company states that it doesn't track, collect, or share any of your private data.

Extra Features

NordVPN offers an advanced security feature, preventing your data from leaking onto the internet.

According to NordVPN, "The VPN Kill Switch continuously monitors your connection to the VPN server. If the connection accidentally drops, the Kill Switch blocks your device (or the apps you have specified) from accessing the web."

Although NordVPN encrypts your internet traffic and shields your private data from third parties, the Kill Switch is the last line of defense. The Kill Switch is perfect for anyone handling classified or sensitive data.

Additionally, NordVPN has expanded its services, and you can secure your passwords with NordPass and encrypt files with NordLocker. NordPass lets you store all your passwords in a single place. Plus, NordPass syncs your passwords across all your devices, so you have access to them at all times. NordLocker allows you to encrypt your files and keep them safe from prying eyes.

Student Discounts

NordVPN offers a 15 percent discount for the following kinds of students:

• Student Beans discount — valid for students worldwide
  • Youth Discount — valid for students and anyone between 18 and 26
  • Descuento Estudiante — valid for EU and South American students

Customer Support

NordVPN provides several ways for its customers to get in touch with the company. You can chat with a customer support representative via live chat, or you can send an email. The company is also fairly active on its social media accounts, so feel free to send them a message via Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.

If you have any questions about how to cancel your subscription or are curious to see the VPN server list, NordVPN has a reasonably extensive Help Center. The Help Center is a fantastic resource for those who need assistance but don't necessarily want to contact a service representative for every question they have (especially if it's a common question).

The Bad

• No Free Trial
  • Annual Service Fee

No Free Trial

For some customers, NordVPN failed to make it clear that the free trial is the company's 30-day money-back guarantee.

NordVPN used to offer a free three-day trial but did away with it because the company felt too many scammers were taking advantage of it.

This means you will have to pay upfront for the subscription service you signed up for. But, if you decide you no longer want to use NordVPN's services, you can cancel. Just be sure to cancel within 30 days for your full refund.

Annual Service Fee

After your initial subscription period, you will be charged an annual $79 service fee.

The Bottom Line

NordVPN is a popular and reliable choice for anyone looking to up their online privacy. The company allows you to protect up to six devices, and you can use it with Windows, macOS, and Linux and there are also NordVPN apps for iOS, Android, and Android TV.

Although NordVPN did away with its free trial, there is now a generous 30-day money-back guarantee. We were also impressed with the number of locations and servers NordVPN has to offer. Overall, we are confident in recommending NordVPN.

MisterB Lake Havasu City, AZ

Having a 400mbps internet service, I wouldn't have expected that when using this VPN service my speeds would drop like a rock. I was seeing 30mbps if that. I never received a response from support as to why this happened everytime I connected. I felt like they were reallocating, or reselling my bandwidth elsewhere. If that's possible. Anyway, the monthly charge was not worth the loss of 200mbps of bandwidth.

James Goodman Silverdale, WA

My non-profit company uses a NordVPN, and as a Director we want good performance for our staff. NordVPN is the best one stop shop for protection on a Virtual Private Network. It runs seamlessly on all our work platforms, and doesn't slow our system software down. What I personally appreciate the most is the reduced amount of notifications that tend to bother you, like other programs that run a VPN service. Must have program if you want strong protection, a little on the pricey side, but you get quality for sure! I like that they offer good promotion rates and annual rates to help save some costs, I recommend.

J Moorman Seattle, WA

I have been using Nord VPN for about 2 years, I had been using a free one prior but slow connectivity sent me looking for a better solution. PRO'S: Very fast connection and tons of connection options in the US and around the world. It does not slow down my connection at all. I also like the kill switch that shuts down programs you select when NORD VPN is not connected. It is also not bloated and simple to use. Security seems good and able to us a static IP. Available for all devices PC, phones etc. at same cost. They routinely send out newsletters that have actual useful security information and tips, that I have put to good use. CONS: Not the cheapest, but there are deals and coupons available. Seems to update frequently. (updates are fast and probably necessary) Emails to upgrade service, when I'm already using the upgraded service. I also use Nord Pass and Nord File which I have found to work great as well. I recently renewed it all for 2 years at a discounted price. Overall I highly recommend Nord VPN.

no sugarcoating

seem to have the best reputation in my research for VPN solutions. They seem to be a robust company with several thousand servers and in many countries, which is something you want to see in a VPN provider (they can bounce your IP from anywhere). I was shopping for pricing in addition to reputation and they have a promo going on now where if you sign up for 2 years, you can get either 1 month, 1 year or 2 years for free (random offering) which makes their pricing even more attractive. I would rather see one price without the gimmics/carrot at the end of a stick, that's why the 4 stars. However, they still seem to be the best out there. I will sign up shortly and refresh my comments after I used them for a while

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

After beginning to work from home due to the pandemic, I wanted to be sure my network was protected. I had heard about NordVPN through friends and decided to look into it. We decided to purchase the 2 year plan which was less than $5 a month! This would ensure our network was safe and protected especially when working with sensitive and private information for work. Nord is fast, safe, and protects your IP address. It is easy to use and reliable and overall a great investment for your own cyber security.

Luke Swierczynski Franklin, MI

I purchased this VPN when they had a multi year special for a significant amount off. Easy to install and easy to connect. No issues with speed which can be an important factor when downloading large files. Not that I use it personally for this but Nord is one of the few VPN services that doesn't limit torrenting. They take your anonymity seriously.

L Turner Indianapolis, IN

Currently using NordVPN. Haven't had any issues with it.I use it whenever I travel to ensure my browser is safe. Speeds are not affected. I got the multiple year plan and it was super affordable. Nord is always offering discount codes.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

FAST. Relatively cheap. I've been paying 12.00 monthly. You can get it for$80+ for 2 years but I chose the monthly. NordVPN is Fast. I mill the internet with speed and know I'm like a ghost. Many servers around the world to choose from. Great company!

JE Statesboro, GA

Nord is probably the best overall VPN I have ever used. I use it for extra protection when using public networks because the company I work for requires very tight security. The vpn is very simple to use and support is very helpful for the few times I have needed assistance.

LaRoy Turner Avon, IN

Nord VPN is my current VPN. Very affordable and easy to use.I have it on my phone and PC for one subscription. App updates frequently, and ups/downs are not affected. I use it when I go to hotels for vacation. I would recommend safe, affordable browsing.

Ben Hayward, CA

This has been great for me I am always downloading movies or always downloading something it has good connections and great speed I try and stay connected all the time definitely my favorite VPN out there

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

If you listen to podcasts or watch YouTube you've heard of NordVPN. I used a discount code from a podcast to give this VPN a shot, and its definitely easy to setup and use. They focus on making it super, super easy to install for Apple devices, and they make it feel like it's flipping a switch. I dinged the review for stars in light of their 2021 controversy - they have a reputation for mining data and subsequently had a breach in Jun 2021 (which is when I canceled my sub), so you may want a VPN for your NordVPN.

M. Nielsen South Bend, IN

I was having all kinds of trouble with my internet security and even had my info stolen, NordVPN provided me with the protection I needed to keep my information safe and secure.

Devon

A rare service that sticks up to their promises. After Netflix announced that they are going after VPN companies allowing to bypass georestrictions in order to access their full content, NordVPN stood up. Countless times Netflix tried to block Nord's servers, but they always came up with a swift resolution. I am more than happy with the quality they provide and will keep recommending the service to everyone.

Cody L Jones Johnson City, TN

Overall, this VPN is great. It can be confusing at first, but it does exactly what it needs to and more. I will recommend it as one of my top 5 VPN providers.

Fernando

It’s great knowing my family is protected when we are online. This is a great VPN. I recommend it to all my friends and family.

Lakota Miller Irving, TX

Love using this to watch Netflix outside of my region. Love the ability to change my ip on the fly as well.

Tony New York, NY

Between March and May this service was very good. June rolled around and something changed, the servers would just kill the data stream while remaining connected. sometimes it would take hours, other times minutes. some days the service is unusable as the loss of data stream would be so frequent nothing was usable. I have a ticket with Nord over 120 entries long, all I get is continuous change of techs who do not read the thread and request what has already been done. the replies from tech are now averaging over a week. between friends and family whom I recommended Nord to, 9 in all, we are all experiencing the same problem. this ranges from Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Ontario, Oregon, Arizona, Florida, and West Virginia, and all but one have open tickets, Nord says I’m the only one with this problem. Really?? even when I send them the ticket numbers of the others they insist I’m the only one. I got a 3 day trial with HMA 2 weeks ago and did not have a single loss of the data stream. same with IPVanish last week, so the problem is with Nord AFAIC. Nord does not the will, or expertise to fix this and last week refused to refund the unused part of the 2 years I paid for. they have no phone number and refuse to call, so you are stuck with chats which lead to a waste of time, and their ticket system which they reply to when someone else in their tech team decides to reply (11 to date). I have access to 3 different isp services and public wifi, the data stream dies on all, and on all my devices, pc, ipad, iphone, android phone, android box, and xbox. I have been with 7 different VPN providers over the years, this one has to be the worst so far. I chose nord because they are away from the 14 eyes, and the 1 month I took before signing up for 2 years was flawless.

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

NordVPN is probably the best VPN you can buy, very fast speeds and its very good to change your location to watch other shows or use something that is unacessable in your country.

Terri

Noted VPN is a great service, customer service is awesome, protective & mind easing..

Mervin Raggs Miami, FL

Easy to use this application without glitches and processing

Andrew

Awesome VPN, easy to install. Helped me while traveling in Asia. No FB, IG or YouTube restrictions. Very good service!

Megan Weidle Akron, OH

It's very expensive but it's soooo reliable abroad

Will

Horrible coverage. This service leaked and wouldn't keep me protected. I switched from express to nord for the savings. Biggest mistake.